Create a campaign around these old XD&D modules...

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
zomben

Create a campaign around these old XD&D modules...

Post by zomben »

Okay, so some of my pals are interested in giving C&C a whirl, which I'm totally jazzed for.

I'm thinking of dusting off a few old D&D modules and forming them into a short campaign. If they like what we do with those three, I'll take it from there and make up something for the further adventures of this party.

So, I've got my eyes on three old modules, only one of which I currently own. The other two I'll pick up on ebay (they're ones I remember fondly from playing 20 years ago, but don't have to hand to figure out the details...)

So, for any of you familiar with these old modules, how would you put together a short campaign based on:

B-1: Keep on the Borderlands

N-2: The Forest Oracle

C-4: To Find a King

My initial theory is to have the PCs guarding a group of merchants travelling to the Keep with supplies. Along the way, something happens which forces them to go down into the Caves of Chaos and sort it out.

I'd like to then link that directly to the events of the Forest Oracle (which I don't own) and then link that directly to the events of To Find a King (which I also don't own).

So, before plunking down the cash for these two modules, I'm wondering if anyone has any awesome suggestions on how to tie them all together.

I'll be running this in a homebrew setting, so don't sweat details of Greyhawk/Faerun/whatever. I'll craft the setting to fit the modules if I have to.

Thanks!

Akrasia

Re: Create a campaign around these old XD&D modules...

Post by Akrasia »

zomben wrote:
N-2: The Forest Oracle

I own this, and think that it is one of the weakest modules ever published by TSR. I'd advise against purchasing it.

I don't know anything about C4, so I can't comment on it. B2 is of course a classic (you identify it as B1, but that's 'In Search of the Unknown', a different module!)

I'd recommend starting with B2 and then running B10 (Night's Dark Terror). B10 is the best module ever written for Basic D&D -- quite possibly any version of D&D -- and is in fact a mini-campaign. It should easily take your PCs from level 2 (which is where they should be after B2) up to level 4 (maybe even higher). The conclusion is truly epic.

Alternatively, run B2, and pick up either L1 (Secret of Bone Hill) and L2 (Assassin's Knot), or the following series: UK2, UK3, and UK4 (those UK modules will bring the PCs up to level 5 by the end).

Happy gaming! 8)

zomben

Post by zomben »

Akrasia wrote:
I'd recommend starting with B2 and then running B10 (Night's Dark Terror). B10 is the best module ever written for Basic D&D -- quite possibly any version of D&D -- and is in fact a mini-campaign. It should easily take your PCs from level 2 (which is where they should be after B2) up to level 4 (maybe even higher). The conclusion is truly epic.

Can you give me some idea what the plot of B10 is all about? I see it up on RPGnow.com, and it looks promising. Aside from meandering around the wilderness and getting into trouble, what are the PCs going to do in this module?

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

A great, succinct overview of B10 can be found here:
http://www.mbertenshaw.plus.com/Mark/RP ... .html#9149

zomben

Post by zomben »

Akrasia wrote:
A great, succinct overview of B10 can be found here:
http://www.mbertenshaw.plus.com/Mark/RP ... .html#9149

Excellent! Thanks!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

When I ran TLG's "A1" Assault on Blacktooth Ridge, I kept feeling like I should have tied it with B2 and combined them together. That will definitely give you enough CKing fodder (ideas) to run about 8 levels of campaign.

B10 is also excellent, and if your going to buy pdf get them off of Paizo and don't sweat the watermarking, it isn't going to steal your soul or identity. (If your one that even has a problem with watermarking).

$4.00 at Paizo

I also love Gauntlet and the Sentinel. Even ran mostly as written. I do change the motivations of the Antagonist, though.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

Akrasia wrote:
I own this, and think that it is one of the weakest modules ever published by TSR. I'd advise against purchasing it.
Wow! And that is one of the old TSR modules I am most fond of. Granted, it's been since the '80's since I ran it, but my feelings are of fond memories when i look at it. i'll have to retake a look at it with my current eyes.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It's all in perspective. A CK can take a very weak mod and turn it into an absolute triumph.

....................................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

zomben

Post by zomben »

Treebore wrote:
When I ran TLG's "A1" Assault on Blacktooth Ridge, I kept feeling like I should have tied it with B2 and combined them together. That will definitely give you enough CKing fodder (ideas) to run about 8 levels of campaign.

Excellent. I just ordered A1 from FRPgames.com as well as the "Return To..." and "Back to..." PDF's off of RPGnow.com.

I'll put all this in front of me with my print out of the Rising Knight, and see how I can develop a campaign with all this material. Personally, I'm more enamored of modules like A1 and B2 which give a predefined setting, but no real 'plot' per se. Then I can modify and massage to my heart's content.

Also, I'm considering ordering A2 and A3 (the sequels to Black Tooth Ridge). Can I assume that these are more story-oriented modules than A1?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yes, A2 and A3 or much more focused. More standard in that they give you a very defined goal. Still lots of opportunity for role play via investigation and interogation. Lots of room to approach solving the "problem" or achieving the goal.

It sounds like you enjoy using modules the same way I do, so I think you'll like all the options and directions things can go in or be taken.

You'll also like Haunted Highlands a great deal, but its story line is not connected to the "A" modules. But it is of similiar set up to B2 and A1.

If you find you like all these I am sure you'll also like Halflings Hall and Fingers of the Forsaken Hand.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

zomben

Post by zomben »

Excellent. Well, then with the A-series and Keep on the Borderlands, I should have plenty of material to keep my players busy.

I'm going to start the whole thing off with a one-shot of "Rising Knight" to see if they're even really interested. No sense going to a lot of work designing a campaign if they decide they don't like the game after one session.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Good luck, then.

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

I'll be doing the full A-series with my next campaign. Good luck!

Akrasia

Post by Akrasia »

Dristram wrote:
... Wow! And that is one of the old TSR modules I am most fond of. Granted, it's been since the '80's since I ran it, but my feelings are of fond memories when i look at it. i'll have to retake a look at it with my current eyes.

N2 is a complete railroad and many of the encounters make no sense.

YMMV, of course.

zomben

Post by zomben »

Treebore wrote:
Good luck, then.

Thanks! I'm excited about this.

So, what's the theory behind the rest of the A-series modules. I'm assuming they're going to use the basic starting point of Black Tooth Ridge, and then just spread out from there? Is there some epic story arc planned?

ANy idea if the production of future modules in the series will come out in a reasonable amount of time?

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

zomben wrote:
So, what's the theory behind the rest of the A-series modules. I'm assuming they're going to use the basic starting point of Black Tooth Ridge, and then just spread out from there? Is there some epic story arc planned?

ANy idea if the production of future modules in the series will come out in a reasonable amount of time?
In the On the Anvil section there is a list of the rest of the A series. Twelve modules and a 13th finale! I'd say there's an epic story arc planned. 8)

madirishman

Post by madirishman »

The A series is very good, but I'll put in my personal plug for the U series, particularly U1, which I consider one of the best modules TSR ever published!
Best of luck, and for maximal old skool, I suggest you use my C&C sheets!
Cheers,

Patrick

--

Patrick M. Murphy, Ph.D.

Mad Irishman Productions
www.mad-irishman.net

Slainte!

zomben

Post by zomben »

madirishman wrote:
The A series is very good, but I'll put in my personal plug for the U series, particularly U1, which I consider one of the best modules TSR ever published!
Best of luck, and for maximal old skool, I suggest you use my C&C sheets!

Actually, we were discussing the Mongoose A-series, but thanks!

And, proving I'm a complete geek, I not only downloaded your "Old School" PC sheets, but then went down to Office Depot, and picked up a ream of 'goldenrod' paper, and printed out a bunch of them all.

I'm totally stoked to run this game. I hope the players have as much fun as I'm thinking it's going to be!

madirishman

Post by madirishman »

Ah, my bad. My reading comprehension roll (OK, INT check in SIEGE terms) failed. But Slavers is hard to beat too.
But seriously, U1!
Hmm, maybe I should post a conversion...

Cheers,

P

--

Patrick M. Murphy, Ph.D.

Mad Irishman Productions
www.mad-irishman.net

Slainte!

Dristram

Post by Dristram »

madirishman wrote:
Hmm, maybe I should post a conversion...
What?? In addtion to great conversions of documents, you do module conversions?? That would be COOL!

dcs

Post by dcs »

I don't see how one can run a short campaign starting with B2. There is so much adventuring material packed into B2's 32 pages!

anglefish
Unkbartig

Post by anglefish »

My one bit of advice is that you tell your players that you plan to have some "nostalgia" modules in advance.

Depeding on their memories, or how often they've been through them before, it may be a turn off. (or get them really jazzed)

Just remembering when I had a GM who piled on the history of his world and how things were going to have a "Wild West Frontier" feel. The GM even promised me that my paladin was going to have a special connection to the campaign.I was jazzed for about 2 months.

Then suddenly the campaign became a rehash of the Slavelords and my "connection" then became a flash of blue light that lead us by the nose from dungeon to dungeon and important room to important room.

Very disappointing.

I don't mind ocassional reruns, but that wasn't what I wanted, or expected, at the time.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Akrasia wrote:
N2 is a complete railroad and many of the encounters make no sense.

YMMV, of course.

I concur with you. I bought it when it was new. At the time, I thought that it collared the PC's and forced them too much. I never used it. When we resumed gaming in 2000, I took a look at it to see if my original thoughts were correct. They were.

That said, the maps and NPC's are resources one can use to fill in his campaign elsewhere.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax