Aces and Eights KS!

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Treebore
Mogrl

Aces and Eights KS!

Post by Treebore »

I love this RPG. In the last 10 years I have easily ran 2 years of weekly game sessions with the original rules set. I am not positive just yet if I am going to back this. I am liking what I have heard so far about the changes they are making in the rules, but its nothing I haven't done myself, or could do myself, so far. I requested a more comprehensive discussion of the rules changes so I can make a more informed decision. Anyways, if your interested in Old West RPG's, its hard to find one better for running a very simple mechanic game, to a very complex mechanic game, by choosing to use their advanced rules components that you can add in as you get comfortable with the basics. Plus it uses the unique shot clock system for resolving gunfights!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ke ... escription
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Aces and Eights KS!

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm interested, but damn is it an expensive product. Kenzer & Co. put out beautiful, durable books, so I appreciate they need to be paid for the value of their physical product. The price tag is still pretty damn steep for a game I probably won't get to play outside of Gary Con. Softcover only (no PDF) without the other do-dads is $50. The all-PDF option is $40. If I got in, it would be for a hardcover copy and the price tag for that starts at $70. That's a mighty high price, mister, even with the stretch goals and PDF included. The best option looks to be the $90 one. I just don't see myself doing it. This kickstarter is giving me a case of the sads.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:I'm interested, but damn is it an expensive product. Kenzer & Co. put out beautiful, durable books, so I appreciate they need to be paid for the value of their physical product. The price tag is still pretty damn steep for a game I probably won't get to play outside of Gary Con. Softcover only (no PDF) without the other do-dads is $50. The all-PDF option is $40. If I got in, it would be for a hardcover copy and the price tag for that starts at $70. That's a mighty high price, mister, even with the stretch goals and PDF included. The best option looks to be the $90 one. I just don't see myself doing it. This kickstarter is giving me a case of the sads.
I needed multiple copies, since my kids play, so got in at the $170 level, which is 3 SC books, + PDF add ons. Decent savings at that level.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Yeah, interested - but agree with BM. :(

I'm happy about the 7th print KS and I'll get the Aufstrag A13 - A17 book.

However, I think I'm pretty much done with KSs - just because so many of them are so fricking awesome BUT I don't have the CASH!

Oh wait . .

If the Trolls do a KS on A13 - I will of course have to support that!!

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I don't see anything there that makes me prefer it over Deadlands. I own the original game, never played it. Dunno... guess I just like the Poker-inspired mechanics and setting of Deadlands more.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:I don't see anything there that makes me prefer it over Deadlands. I own the original game, never played it. Dunno... guess I just like the Poker-inspired mechanics and setting of Deadlands more.
Aces and Eights makes far more us out of the Poker deck than Deadlands does. Every shot, and if you use their subystems for Chase, Brawling, etc... not only do you make heavy use of a Card Deck, but poker chips as well.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore wrote:
serleran wrote:I don't see anything there that makes me prefer it over Deadlands. I own the original game, never played it. Dunno... guess I just like the Poker-inspired mechanics and setting of Deadlands more.
Aces and Eights makes far more us out of the Poker deck than Deadlands does. Every shot, and if you use their subystems for Chase, Brawling, etc... not only do you make heavy use of a Card Deck, but poker chips as well.
I prefer the Deadlands setting. Sure, it could be ripped away and used with another game... but, I haven't even opened my A&8 book (still wrapped up) so maybe it's better than it looks online. Guess if they had a 10-15 page preview of basic stuff, it'd be more tempting.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:
Treebore wrote:
I prefer the Deadlands setting. Sure, it could be ripped away and used with another game... but, I haven't even opened my A&8 book (still wrapped up) so maybe it's better than it looks online. Guess if they had a 10-15 page preview of basic stuff, it'd be more tempting.
The Basic rules are only 2 pages of the whole book. The rest are optional advanced rules, skills, sub system rules for chases, brawling, court cases, prospecting, etc... The Basic Rules were the whole reason I even started running an Aces and Eights game, and then as my comfort with the shot clocks, etc... grew, I started addiing on the optional Advanced Rules, and even made use of a couple of the subs system rules sets, with Brawling being far and away my favorite.

Plus I understand your attraction to Deadlands, I own a few books of it, and damn near everything for Reloaded.