Rappan Athuk

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Rappan Athuk

Post by Kayolan »

Here's the XP totals all (as of session #20):

Experience Points
Egar: 17,611
Arobash: 16,881
Urza: 16,124
Mhoram: 4,403
Celeste: 4,403
Marhtiir: 15,291
Fray: 4,403
Zerg: 14,744
Loric: 14,395

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Kayolan wrote:Here's the XP totals all (as of session #20):

Experience Points
Egar: 17,611
Arobash: 16,881
Urza: 16,124
Mhoram: 4,403
Celeste: 4,403
Marhtiir: 15,291
Fray: 4,403
Zerg: 14,744
Loric: 14,395
Damn. Not enough to get Egar to level 5. It is a shame.
Still, the teleporters are worth more than level 5 is anyway, so we are coming out ahead!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Giant2005 wrote: Damn. Not enough to get Egar to level 5. It is a shame.
Still, the teleporters are worth more than level 5 is anyway, so we are coming out ahead!
You know Kayolan is on the red phone with Bill Webb right now, strategizing on the teleporter situation.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Aergraith wrote:
You know Kayolan is on the red phone with Bill Webb right now, strategizing on the teleporter situation.
I hope not! I really don't want to lose those things.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Zerg felt an ominous tingle on the back of her neck. As if the hunter were now the hunted. I do think Orcus is going to appear from that portal and that we better be prepared for a scary fight ahead.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:
How did you know Bill has a red phone? That was supposed to be a secret!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Zerg felt an ominous tingle on the back of her neck. As if the hunter were now the hunted. I do think Orcus is going to appear from that portal and that we better be prepared for a scary fight ahead.

:lol:

That would be an awesomely epic character/party death!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

If you look at Book of Dirty Tricks by Bill Webb you can see what a marshmallow Kayolan is. We should barely live a few minutes past character creation.

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Aergraith wrote:If you look at Book of Dirty Tricks by Bill Webb you can see what a marshmallow Kayolan is. We should barely live a few minutes past character creation.
The first rule of roleplaying is don't call the guy that has the ability to ruin all of our fun, a "marshmallow".
Well that might not be the first rule, but I'm sure it is near the top somewhere.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:If you look at Book of Dirty Tricks by Bill Webb you can see what a marshmallow Kayolan is. We should barely live a few minutes past character creation.
Bill isn't that dirty in person. At least not at conventions. Most of us usually live until the adventures end. Sometimes even beyond. Jim Ward is a far deadlier Game Master. My bragging rights at one convention is I was the only one to have a character live through the scenario he ran that weekend. 30+ other PC's all died.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Actually most of the stuff in that book looks more like it's to keep things simple to keep track of more than being mean.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

The tree branches rustled, the air unsettled, and then a cloud of poisonous gas enveloped the characters as the green dragon swept down

resulting in a...

TPK!!!

and...

a new group of characters were created within an hour, some role-playing at Zelkor's Ferry with the locals and back into it. The characters went to this "Castle Calaelen" to see if the rumors about the bugbears and ogres taking the place over were true...
and they were!

Good game all :)

Cast of characters:

Amable, half-orc fighter played by Penny-Whistle

Anele, human cleric of Kel played by rom90125

Beryn Stonechipper, dwarf barbarian played by yetihermit

Franklin Fort, gnome assassin played by Scitzz

Marmaduke, human paladin of Mitra played by Aergraith

Voryn Zaldron, human wizard and bard played by Treebore

Zor Soth, human paladin of Law played by Quertas

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Frank
Franklin
Fort
Castle
Hmmmmmmm

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Among the most brutal PC kills I have ever had. That dragon caught us with our proverbial pants down. The Dungeon of Graves collects more offerings for Orcus!

What was it on that table to roll a dragon? Like a 4% range? Oh well, at least it wasn't an Ancient. Or Orcus himself. Even though being slaughtered by Orcus probably would have been cooler. I am sure being killed by Orcus is in our futures. Assuming we ever play characters that live long enough to even get to Orcus.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Yeah, in my games characters sometimes run into random dragons from wandering monster tables, but generally they like to play with their food before they kill them. Reds especially like to get the groups hopes up and then just pop someone in their mouth.

But just suddenly finding myself in a cloud of toxic gas, well, you can't charisma check your way out of that...

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Yeah. My cat whispered that if she were a green dragon the situation would not have been so merciful.

Starter course: Create a circle of smoking acid around the party. No escape. Sit back to better savour the panic. Should one of the pathetic creatures attempt to negotiate, pretend you care. Then dominate one of the stronger looking characters.

With cats and green dragons, it's all about the terror.

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

@scitzz aha, the punisher is it now :)

Loric was on top of the world, feeling strong and formidable. He had just had an epiphany, his strikes felt surer, he had learned about anatomy to a degree that it aided his proficiency in reading it. Formidable indeed, the elf looked out at the woods, drinking in the vibrance of it. He smiled and closed his eyes, thinking of a silly farm joke Vetch had told him on the island. It was interrupted when a cloth sack was tossed between them, from which emerged a deadly venemous serpent! There was a split moment of decision in the reptile's eye where it went for the farm boy instead where Loric saw his own death. What luck, he thought. His skin tingled, then burned. Snapping his eyes open, all the elf could see was a wall of green. Everything was green. It poured into his lungs. Loric spasmed into green oblivion, the last thing he saw was Vetch smiling as his eyes faded.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Yeah. My cat whispered that if she were a green dragon the situation would not have been so merciful.

Starter course: Create a circle of smoking acid around the party. No escape. Sit back to better savour the panic. Should one of the pathetic creatures attempt to negotiate, pretend you care. Then dominate one of the stronger looking characters.

With cats and green dragons, it's all about the terror.
:shock:

Ummm...

Glad we got a merciful dragon!

:lol:

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

yetihermit wrote:@scitzz aha, the punisher is it now :)
Yes sir, with a very marvel sounding name. Wife and I are mid season two dare devil and I couldn't get him out of my mind while trying to name an assassin

Love Lorics last moments!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I was going to write everyone's names in the obituary section of my RA book, but then thought, well, we didn't even die in Rappan Athuk...

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

Gorbash!

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Remember all, from now on I'll be updating the XP on the first post of this thread 8-)

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Kayolan wrote:Image
This just isn't right.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Puff? Is that you?

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

I have to go through all my weapons again, I have the wrong damage etc, for example, the list I was looking at, older, had a Poinard as 1d8, and PHB 5th says that is off. I have yet to pick primes. And where do I find magic items available to buy?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Scitzz wrote:I have to go through all my weapons again, I have the wrong damage etc, for example, the list I was looking at, older, had a Poinard as 1d8, and PHB 5th says that is off. I have yet to pick primes. And where do I find magic items available to buy?
Magic items are in the Monsters and Treasures books.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

TYVM! Limit is 1300gp if I recall correctly.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Scitzz wrote:TYVM! Limit is 1300gp if I recall correctly.
Check your Skype Scitzz.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Thanks much! As per our conversation there, I will soon be adding the notes I have taken in some of our adventures. The earliest ones were rougher in nature, and when more things are happening, tend to be focused on my character's POV, which in almost all of these, was Mahrtiir until Episode 21. I hope it is not too confusing, but if it says "I" instead of a name, then it is from my character's POV. Games I did not attend will obviously not be listed, and details of them tend to be sketchy.

If at any time someone has something to add, please feel free to PM me and I will add them. Yeti is very good with his prose for his characters, and I wish had recorded more of it. In the future I will attempt to capture more of the actual conversations as we go. Aergraith in particular seems to be very in depth with his conversations with the locals especially. As soon as I build my next PC and can use skype on it I should be better able to record the actual call in the snippets of role playing and transcribe them later. Big bold plans, perhaps I will actually make them happen!

Further note, This coming Saturday April 29th and Saturday May 27th I may be either late, in and out of play, or totally missing. I host an annual car meet at my home, usually the last Saturday of April each year. It is small, and usually over by sunset, but that isn't always the case, so I may be consumed by hosting duties, impossible to tell.

May 27th I attend another one in Ohio, and if I go this year (up in the air still) I doubt I will make the game.

Basically, as a small gnome, my guy is not going to be taking point. If there is anything large, he will hang back and attempt a death attack every time. I settled on a Main Gauche +1(magic) as my main melee weapon, so I can do 3-7 points of damage. If numbers get to be more than one monster attacking me, I will rely on it for defense instead, like a shield, +1 to AC declared at top of the round. Combining that with either evade or dodge, he will attempt to disengage from melee contact without outright fleeing, hoping to fall back to either hide or use his bow. He has a club for encounters that might call for blunt instruments, but it is usually dangling from his belt. 2 daggers in case one is thrown, probably poisoned, as well as a couple of darts poisoned for throwing. He is always willing to check for traps at doors and in rooms, but will always seek to be at the very back of the party before it is opened and at any other time. If there appears to be combat in the room, he will try to hide behind the opening and sneak peeks in to attempt a death attack via bow. In my absence, any other player who has played in the group already is welcome to run him if they promise to stick to the outlined plan, as well as the GM.

Prestidigitation is one of his spells, a puff of smoke may allow him to put distance between himself and an attacker, or be used with dancing lights or ghost sounds to draw attention from himself in an attempt to help him make a sneak attack at times, or to withdraw at others.

Being neutral, it is not likely he will be inclined to contribute to any charitable cause unless the group would benefit from it in some way. Even then, it won't be likely to happen often or without grumbling. His main goals, for now at least, seem to be to enjoy the company of others at the inn, to banter at times, and to increase his skills as an assassin. He has shown he will use his magic for entertainment purposes if the day is already drawing to a close.