Rappan Athuk

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Giant2005
Ungern

Re: Rappan Athuk

Post by Giant2005 »

Aergraith wrote:Let's just run Swords and Wizardry!

Hardcore, but I don't mind, my main adjustment from the above is that I won't have the advantage that allows me to swap my cleric spells for cure spells. Since I rarely needed a cure spell yet, I am not sure how bad that is. I don't necessarily agree that the challenges are too easy: I think we've been tactically smart (well, sometimes) and very lucky, and Rappan Athuk itself will be much worse than what we encountered in the environs of Zelkor's Ferry. But even if that's true, I don't mind if the difficulty level shifts. I expected RA to be hard/impossible.

I intend to continue playing my character, Egar. I'll get into Roll20 and make the adjustments.
I think the fact that your cure spells have been unnecessary is a pretty big indicator that the game has been too easy.
I don't know if you have noticed or not (and considering you are the healer, I really hope you have!), but none of the characters in the party have even been damaged after three sessions of combat. I think some changes would have needed to be made at some point and I am glad they have happened prior to us moving down into the depths of the dungeon. This way we have a bit more room to get more accustomed to our reduced abilities, instead of just continuing to power through the dungeon without adapting, and probably getting ourselves killed.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I guess it depends on what kind of power curve we see. It's my understanding though that it's pretty non-linear. We might just have lucked out on the encounters we had and they aren't representative even of the 1st level experience. Anyway, we'll find out soon enough!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

I'll go along with whatever is decided upon, but I'm not so sure it was as much easy as it was luck and planning. A ranger scout helped keep us from certain death with those spiders. The ogre only had seventeen hit points and there were a lot of people attacking her, and even the GM said we were a turn from a TPK.

Still, my player won't likely suffer much. You won't hear me complain, that's for sure. I'll re roll sometime this week when I have some spare time, gonna be busy for a few days.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

In case you don't have it already, you can get Rappan Athuk and lots of other PDFs at a big discount for Swords and Wizardry right now:
https://www.froggodgames.com/swords-wizardry-pdf-bundle

Giant2005
Ungern

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Dec. 17th)

Post by Giant2005 »

Someone was calling us the "Red Bear Ravagers" earlier, but we have wiped out what feels like an infinite number of Gnolls, and now we have completely wiped out the entire Stirge population. I think our name needs to revolve around genocide or something.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Giant2005 wrote:Someone was calling us the "Red Bear Ravagers" earlier, but we have wiped out what feels like an infinite number of Gnolls, and now we have completely wiped out the entire Stirge population. I think our name needs to revolve around genocide or something.
Extinction Unlimited

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Hey guys, just checking in to see if anyone is up for this game this Saturday, which is New Year's Eve.

Did up the experience points, as of session #4:

Experience Points
Egar: 2,374 xp
Arobash: 2,374 xp
Urza: 1,989 xp
Celeste: 933 xp
Marhtiir: 1,618 xp
Fray: 1,332 xp
Mhoram: 371 xp

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Kayolan wrote:Hey guys, just checking in to see if anyone is up for this game this Saturday, which is New Year's Eve.
Pretty sure I'm up for it.
Egar is now second level. I rolled HP on roll20.

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Aergraith wrote:
Kayolan wrote:Hey guys, just checking in to see if anyone is up for this game this Saturday, which is New Year's Eve.
Pretty sure I'm up for it.
Egar is now second level. I rolled HP on roll20.
Nice HP roll! Your d8 was higher than my d12.
I am also up for playing this weekend (and really hoping it happens).

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Dec. 31st)

Post by alcyone »

Alas, poor Deadeye. I knew him, Arobash. A man of infinite jest, he hath borne me upon his back a thousand times, and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is. My gorge rises at it.

And Captain Awesome, Steve and Bob, and Henry, and whoever too, shame, real shame. Hard to find good men-at-arms.

Giant2005
Ungern

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Dec. 31st)

Post by Giant2005 »

Great game guys! It is a shame Captain Awesome died just moments after earning himself a name.
I bet those Goblins wish we had lives.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Great game last week all!

Did up the XP (as of session #5):

Experience Points
Egar: 2,889
Arobash: 2,889
Urza: 2,504
Zerg: 515
Marhtiir: 1,618
Celeste: 933
Fray: 1,332
Mhoram: 371

Giant2005
Ungern

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Jan. 7th)

Post by Giant2005 »

Another great game!
I am very please with how awesome Arobash is turning out to be. The legends of his prowess would spread pretty far if his allies were kind enough to spread them.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Jan. 7th)

Post by Kayolan »

Game on for tomorrow.

XP for last week (as of session #6)

Experience Points
Egar: 3,595
Arobash: 3,595
Marhtiir: 2,324
Zerg: 1,221
Mhoram: 371

Giant2005
Ungern

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Jan. 14th)

Post by Giant2005 »

Rules regarding new characters and xp:
1. Your replacement character will have half of the xp of your dead character.
2. The minimum xp any character can have (for new players and existing characters alike) is equal to 1/4 the xp of the character with the highest number of xp.

New xp charts with number 2 in mind:

Experience Points
Egar: 3,595
Arobash: 3,595
Marhtiir: 2,324
Mhoram: 899

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Jan. 21st)

Post by Kayolan »

Next game will be this Sat., and it looks like we might be having a new player join us :)

I've tallied up the XP for last week (as of session #7):

Experience Points
Egar: 4,288
Arobash: 4,288
Urza: 3,197
Celeste: 1,072
Marhtiir: 3,017
Fray: 2,025

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

Hi all,

Sorry for being so late to the punch. Paul S (Schitzz) told me about the opening in this game, and as I've been wanting to get back into tabletop-type RPGs as I've become a bit tired of sandbox video games. I was introduced to Dungeons and Dragons 1e when I was just getting into my teens. We played some 2e in high school, but I became more seriously involved in playing via email around the turn of the 2000s. Spent close to 5 years combined on two lengthy campaigns, then life got in the way for me (I have bipolar disorder type 1) and I took some time off. Now I'm much older and mellowed out, and I've been looking for a way to get the creative juices flowing again gaming-wise. I had never heard of this ruleset before Paul told me this campaign was using it, I like the flexibility and emphasis on imagination and theatrics that I've seen in the books so far. I'm playing catch-up on several things from the week, but I've got my character together for the most part. Just micro-managing inventory and encumberance (ugh), I'll put up his stats, followed by some of his background, shortly.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

yetihermit wrote:Hi all,

Sorry for being so late to the punch. Paul S (Schitzz) told me about the opening in this game, and as I've been wanting to get back into tabletop-type RPGs as I've become a bit tired of sandbox video games. I was introduced to Dungeons and Dragons 1e when I was just getting into my teens. We played some 2e in high school, but I became more seriously involved in playing via email around the turn of the 2000s. Spent close to 5 years combined on two lengthy campaigns, then life got in the way for me (I have bipolar disorder type 1) and I took some time off. Now I'm much older and mellowed out, and I've been looking for a way to get the creative juices flowing again gaming-wise. I had never heard of this ruleset before Paul told me this campaign was using it, I like the flexibility and emphasis on imagination and theatrics that I've seen in the books so far. I'm playing catch-up on several things from the week, but I've got my character together for the most part. Just micro-managing inventory and encumberance (ugh), I'll put up his stats, followed by some of his background, shortly.
Welcome, especially if you are a rogue...

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Post by yetihermit »

I thought I posted this on my other computer, but I don't see it here. Here it is again, now with a bit of background (which I will flesh out):

Loric "The Kid" Seaborne

Elven Rogue
Neutral Good
Sea/Pirate Pantheon (especially the South Wind and Luck deities)
Level: 1
Experience: 1072
Movement: 30 feet
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 120lbs
Eyes: hazel
Hair: chessnut

Str: 12 +0
Dex: 17 +2 (16 + 1 for elf)
Con: 13 +1 (14 - 1 for elf)
Int: 16 +2
Wis: 14 +1
Cha: 14 +1

Primary attributes: Dexterity, Intelligence

Languages: Common, Elf, Orc

Racial abilities: enhanced senses, twilight vision, move silently (dex), spell resistance, spot hidden doors (wis), weapon training (+1 with shortbow)

Class abilities: back attack, cant, climb (dex), decipher script (int), hide (dex), listen (wis, +2 from elf), move silently (dex, +2 from elf), open lock (dex), pick pocket (dex), traps (int, +2 find traps from elf), at 4th: sneak attack

Hit points: 7
AC: 10 + 1 (padded) + 0 (shield) + 2 (dexterity) + 0 (misc) = 13
To Hit: d20 + 2 (ranged, dex)/+0 (non-ranged) + 0 (lvl) + 1 (elf: shortbow)

Armor: padded

Weapons: dagger (in boot), knife (in sleeve sheath), sling, shortbow

Starting gold: 80gp

Inventory:

Combat:
5gp padded armor (ac + 1, 10lbs, 2(w))
2gp dagger (1d4, 10ft, 1lbs, 1)
3sp knife (1d2, 10ft, 1lbs, 1)
0gp sling (1d4, 50ft, -, 1)
30gp shortbow (1d6, 60ft, 2lbs, 3)
2gp quiver, dozen (1lbs, 2, 12 projectiles)
---
39.3gp (encumbrance 9)

Non-combat:
2gp backpack (2lbs, 2(w), 8)
2sp bandages (4 wounds, 1lbs, *, -)
1sp bedroll (5 lbs, 3, -)
5cp candlex5 (0.1lbs, 1, -)
1gp waterskin (1 gallon) (4lbs, 3, 1 gallon)
1cp chalk (0.5lbs, 1, -)
5sp fishing gear (1lbs, 2, -)
1gp flint and steel (0.5lbs, *, -)
1.5gp rations x 3 days (3lbs, 3)
---
6.36gp (encumbrance 14)

6sp belt (1lbs, *)
1gp 2xsmall belt pouch, one with stones, other with coin (1lbs, *, 1)
4sp soft boots (2lbs, 1(w))
5sp cloak (3lbs, 1(w)
4sp trousers (0.5lbs, 1(w))
3sp tunic (0.5lbs, 1(w))
30gp rogue's tools (1lbs, 1, -)
---
33.2gp (encumbrance 1)

total encumbrance 24 (moderate, 2x-3xER, 1/2 movement, +2 challenge on dex)
->if backpack is removed, emcumbrance drops to 10 (0 to 1xER or none)

==78.86gp, 11sp 4cp left over

Background (rough initial):
Loric was just a young elf (in his early 70s) when tragedy befell him. He was travelling by sea with his parents on an elven ship, which was attacked by pirates. Hiding in the hold, young Loric had no idea of the fate swiftly approaching. The pirate ship had pulled beside the elven vessel, and its cruel denizens boarded. While savage blows were being exchanged on the elven ship, clouds swiftly filled the sky. A blustering storm opened up upon the scene, and the sea became alive with waves. Tossing back and forth violently, young Loric, not understanding what was going on, could only pule for his mother. She had left him in his cabin, telling him not to come out no matter what, and ran towards the sounds of the shouts earlier. Then the floor went sideways and water started to pour into his cabin. Panicking, he had to get out, Loric scrambled for the door. It blew open and water quickly pooled then sucked him out. Everything was darkness and motion and spinning. He briefly saw a light, burning, then his awareness was overwhelmed.

He awoke he knew not how much later on a beach of white sand. Every muscle ached deeply, he felt as if he'd been wrung dry and beaten. Struggling to his feet, Loric took in his situation. He was in a bay, he could see the shore stretch around him, hemmed on all sides by jungle. Turning from the water to look behind, he beheld a mountain jutting upwards with an indented peak. Still in shock, he wandered aimlessly along the beach. He looked himself over for injuries and found, beyond the aches and bruises that there didn't appear to be anything broken or punctured. He took note that somehow, by dint of an excellently constructed sheath, the small knife had been a gift from his father for his 70th birthday was still on his person. Loric was still a juvenile when he washed up on that island. Deft of hand, sure of foot, and quick of wit, the young elf had been travelling with his parents to visit family when their ship was overtaken. The pirate had a personal vendetta with the captain of the elven ship, and when she saw the Buck and Doe flag flying, she attacked. This was something that was unexpected, as this pirate was actually delivering live cargo of her own, thieves that were being turned in for bounties.

After the storm, Loric discovered several other survivors. His father was a wood elf, and he had spent years with him living on the land. He could adapt to the jungle, he understood the tenets of survival. There were a dozen humans that survived, and sadly no other elves. Of the twelve, four were captured thieves. ((i'll flesh out the other people later)). They were members of a thieve's guild which was involved in a guild war. the opposing guild had put out bounties on members of the other guild, and the pirates were collecting. This is where Loric learned his thieving skills, in the context of the island environment. They tried several times to get off the island, but there was freak weather around it (due to geography). Years passed and passed, all the humans began to get old, but Loric stayed young. They nicknamed him "The Kid" because of his unchanging demeanor.

Loric is a quirky combination of the insights of these twelve individuals for his worldview. He is not the typical elf in terms of aloofness or haughtiness, he is more tribal and small-town. He learned the way of the thief because he had able teachers. While the journey was slow, over decades he learned the skills of the dozen, aided by resources found in the wreckage of the ships. Finally, they started dying off, and Loric ended up burying the last of them. He had to stake out on a final quest. Using the best of what they had learned while trapped on the island, he spent years on a craft that he believed might make it. Finally, on the day of the winter solstice, he set out. Braving the otherworldly weather one last time, Loric made it out and hit the mainland. Following stories about a thieve's guild long in the past, he sets out to see if he can connect to his teacher's people. A guild of rogues with principles.

crisp64
Henchman

Post by crisp64 »

Hi Kayolan,

I just joined the forum and saw you are running this game, is there room for another player?

Thanks,

Chris

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Awesome on the backstory Yetihermit!
Also awesome on us surviving our first foray into the dungeon. I actually thought the first encounter (the gelatinous cube) was going to wipe us all out. I think Josh may have gone a bit easy on us with that one.

Scitzz
Hlobane Orc

Post by Scitzz »

Giant2005 wrote:Awesome on the backstory Yetihermit!
Also awesome on us surviving our first foray into the dungeon. I actually thought the first encounter (the gelatinous cube) was going to wipe us all out. I think Josh may have gone a bit easy on us with that one.

I mean, Gelatinous cube and a pyromaniac of a Ranger, what did you think would happen?

Giant2005
Ungern

Post by Giant2005 »

Scitzz wrote:
Giant2005 wrote:Awesome on the backstory Yetihermit!

I mean, Gelatinous cube and a pyromaniac of a Ranger, what did you think would happen?
I didn't expect the Gelatinous Cube to just incinerate like that. I figured it would just inadvertently smother the flames as it moved through (taking a bit of damage in the process, but not instant death).

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

crisp64 wrote:Hi Kayolan,

I just joined the forum and saw you are running this game, is there room for another player?

Thanks,

Chris
We got a pretty full group currently Chris (8+players). I appreciate the interest and if things change in the future I'll let you know.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Jan. 28th)

Post by Kayolan »

Great session last week all!

See you all tomorrow night.

Did up the XP (as of session #8):

Experience Points
Egar: 5,084
Arobash: 5,084
Urza: 3,197
Mhoram: 1,271
Celeste: 1,271
Marhtiir: 3,813
Zerg: 2,017
Loric: 1,868

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Feb. 4th)

Post by Kayolan »

Game on for tomorrow night.

XP has been updated (as of session #9):

Experience Points
Egar: 5,674
Arobash: 5,774
Urza: 4,187
Mhoram: 1,444
Celeste: 1,444
Marhtiir: 4,403
Zerg: 2,807
Loric: 2,458

yetihermit
Mist Elf

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Feb. 4th)

Post by yetihermit »

Hey sorry I missed that one post Giant2005, I went through a few versions of the ideas before just doing a write up before that game. I hadn't selected notify when a reply is posted :/

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Rappan Athuk (next game Sat. night, this Feb. 11th)

Post by Kayolan »

Game on for tomorrow, did up the XP for last week (as of session #10):

Experience Points
Egar: 6,153
Arobash: 6,253
Urza: 4,666
Mhoram: 1,923
Celeste: 1,923
Marhtiir: 4,882
Zerg: 3,286
Loric: 2,937

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Fun game last week all!

Meregan heartily agreed to fashioning the nine of you each a piece of the magical emerald cobra skin. She asked each of you how you would like your portion of the skin to be shaped/molded, whether it be a vest, covering, bracers, etc. No matter how you decided to have it fit to your person, it gives you each a +2 bonus to saves vs. fire (including magical fire).

Here's the total XP (as of session #11)

Experience Points
Egar: 6,925
Arobash: 7,025
Urza: 5,438
Mhoram: 1,923
Celeste: 1,923
Marhtiir: 5,654
Zerg: 4,058
Loric: 3,709

Kayolan