AS&SH

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

AS&SH

Post by capmarvel »

The Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea Kickstarter began today....which made me wonder about the Siege Engine with a Sword & Sorcery setting. Does such a thing exist already, or if not what is the closest thing out there for it?

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: AS&SH

Post by Treebore »

capmarvel wrote:The Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea Kickstarter began today....which made me wonder about the Siege Engine with a Sword & Sorcery setting. Does such a thing exist already, or if not what is the closest thing out there for it?

I know such a modifications has been discussed on these forums, but I don't recall seeing anyone post a full write up for actually doing it. Plus I do not see any such document in my files. So my best answer is, no, it doesn't exist. Hopefully I am wrong and just missed it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
capmarvel wrote:The Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea Kickstarter began today....which made me wonder about the Siege Engine with a Sword & Sorcery setting. Does such a thing exist already, or if not what is the closest thing out there for it?

I know such a modifications has been discussed on these forums, but I don't recall seeing anyone post a full write up for actually doing it. Plus I do not see any such document in my files. So my best answer is, no, it doesn't exist. Hopefully I am wrong and just missed it.
I would think that the Primeval Thule setting for the S&W set would be pretty close.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:

I would think that the Primeval Thule setting for the S&W set would be pretty close.

R-
Absolutely. Its what I would probably use if I were interested in running such a game.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

So which Thule would you get to be "most compatible with C&C"? The Pathfinder one, the 5e one, the 4e one, or the 13th Age one?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Haunted Highlands is really pretty close already. It has witches and necromancers (with their own specialized tome, the Black Libram), multiple human cultures, it's own demons and monsters, etc.

Of course it all depends on what you mean by Sword and Sorcery, but compared to Aihrde, for instance, I think it's pretty S&S.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

I love the pricing of the Thule book on Amazon. For used "from $135.52". For new $39.95. Now I ask, what moron is going to pay $135.52 plus for a used copy when they could buy the new copy for $39.95? But, what do I know?

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I think Freeport also fits the bill as a sword and sorcery setting that has native C&C support (via the Castles and Crusades Freeport Companion + Pirates Guide to Freeport).
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

capmarvel wrote:So which Thule would you get to be "most compatible with C&C"? The Pathfinder one, the 5e one, the 4e one, or the 13th Age one?
I believe they have a copy for Swords and wizardry, but I might be wrong. If not, I'd go with the Pathfinder one (not knowing much about 13th Age).

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
capmarvel wrote:So which Thule would you get to be "most compatible with C&C"? The Pathfinder one, the 5e one, the 4e one, or the 13th Age one?
I believe they have a copy for Swords and wizardry, but I might be wrong. If not, I'd go with the Pathfinder one (not knowing much about 13th Age).

R-
I prefer using PF, because I find it easier to cut it down to what I want, rather than build it up to something I want. As for a S&W version, I do not recall seeing one, but then again, I wasn't looking for it.

Besides, AS&SH is easy enough to adapt.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I was looking at Thule 5e as a possible campaign setting for a possible local f2f game.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Heh, I forgot Jeff game me a signed copy of Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent and I'm looking at it now. Haha . . he has a few interesting random encounters (wilderness) ~ Irish elk, red deer and giant frog!!! LOL. Not so S&S or S&W - but on the other hand, even this kind of setting has regular creatures, right?

Anyway, totally agreeing with Aergraith - The Haunted Highlands is PERFECT for S&W, IMO!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

Crypts & Things just came out with a revised version and I enjoy it quite a bit - based on Swords & Wizardry so obviously a bit lighter than AS&SH.

Though, I keep thinking that a S&S setting made specific for the Siege Engine may be an interesting challenge to tackle....

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

capmarvel wrote:Crypts & Things just came out with a revised version and I enjoy it quite a bit - based on Swords & Wizardry so obviously a bit lighter than AS&SH.

Though, I keep thinking that a S&S setting made specific for the Siege Engine may be an interesting challenge to tackle....

To me the hardest part is deciding how low magic to go, and then make magic still be viable for those who want to play a magic using class.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I think I agree with Treebore that the Pathfinder is probably the easiest, in that I feel that it's easier to remove things you don't need than to add or change things you want.

That being said - how hard would it be, really, to just use C&C instead of going all over the place for other books?

Limit the character classes to rogue, fighter, ranger, wizard, and barbarian. Trim down the wizards spell list to mostly necromantic and charm spells, with some demon summoning spells, too. For monsters, keep them mostly to beasts (regular - apes, serpents, etc. and large variations), weird half-breed creatures, a few flora, and some demons. And people - cultists and brigands. Lots of those.

Other than that, limit the "traditional dungeon" and make many adventures include mostly wilderness, ruins, and city-based themes.

YMMV, of course, but I wouldn't go seeking out another system when C&C has the tools to do what you want. Just takes a little elbow grease! :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

capmarvel
Hlobane Orc

Post by capmarvel »

Lord Dynel...I think you just wrote 50% of C&C S&S. Maybe even 80%!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

capmarvel wrote:Lord Dynel...I think you just wrote 50% of C&C S&S. Maybe even 80%!
Well, I better see my name in the credits...maybe a "thank you!" :lol:

Kidding aside, I'll take your comment as a compliment, capmarvel! This is exactly what I love about C&C - I can easy pull out a handful (or a couple of handfuls) of bits and turn it into sword & sorcery, renaissance era, dark ages, bronze age, or just about anything else I can imagine. Having books from other companies is nice for reference, but if I can't access them on my bookshelf, I just get my hands a little dirty and do it myself. S&S using C&C is extremely easy.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, like I said above, the hardest part for me would be to decide just how weak to make magic, and still have the magic using character still be a viable class to play in a low fantasy setting. Arcane or divine.

On the note of low fantasy settings, I got the rough draft PDF of the new full Conan 2D20 RPG today, maybe that will give me some inspiration on how to do this with C&C, once I see how they handle their magic using classes.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

:lol:

Which reminds me, thanks to the KS for the 2D20 RPG, I also now have every single Conan D20 PDF. So if I wanted to I could very easily run a Conan game using the SIEGE engine using those PDF's.

The other thing that would be challenging on the magic front, is all the spell casting I recall from Conana was ritual based. Meaning it took a long time to make the magic happen. Anyone recall a scene in any of the Conana books where spells were cast quickly? Also, did naything indicate if Conana magic was fire and forget, or once you knew it, you always knew it? I have only read 3 Conan novels, so am far from knowledgeable about all of the novels.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Curiosity made me find this today. Low fantasy gaming with the magic already reworked to be "low magic", including capping the game at 12th level. Its D20 OGL based, so is easy to run with the SIEGE engine. Anyways, worth a look, IMO.

https://lowfantasygaming.com/freepdf/

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Saw this over on DF recently. Looks interesting. May have to break out the old Conan books to get some ideas.

Darthgall
Skobbit

Post by Darthgall »

Here's a great link to a solid C&C Conan document that really molds Mongoose D20 into C&C.
https://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewto ... ilit=Conan
Also might be really useful for Conan 2D20 kickstarter backers who now have access to entire Mongoose library in PDF.