Worst fantasy movie ...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Worst fantasy movie ...

Post by Lurker »

Right now my vote is The never ending story ...

My wife decided to put it in for the girls tonight for Saturday evening movie knight . She complained that I have the girls watch Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, star dust, & Princess bride to often .

I had forgotten how much I disliked this movie. I can't say specifically why I dislike it so, but it just rubs me the wrong way .... bad story, bad ideas, bad effects, .... Even as I watch it I want to re-like it , need for imagination or face nothing etc etc etc. But I just can't force myself to like it ...

So to make it interesting, what movie do you all dislike
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Worst fantasy movie ...

Post by Treebore »

I absolutely despise Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. The only scene in the movie I even like is the cow's machine gun udders.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240468/
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

After several years of my family owning a video store chain, the easier thing to answer is what movies I liked. Much much shorter list, that.

While probably not the top of my despised list, Sorceress ranks pretty high on the stink-o-meter. Makes Neverending Story seem a work of art. lol
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

The Dungeons & Dragons movies for me.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

The first Dungeons and Dragons movie. Someone should have been arrested for involving Tom Baker in that mess.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

That Tom Cruise fantasy movie. Legend? Something like that. I don't even hate Tom Cruise, but I tried to watch a couple of times and just can't make it through the thing.

The first D&D movie isn't so bad if you pretend it's a generic fantasy movie and not a D&D movie. I think that a movie about a game ought to in some manner follow the rules for the game and I saw no indication that they were trying to actually use a published D&D world as a guide. (The same problem as Quag Keep has in fiction; it's "Greyhawk" but seems nothing like Greyhawk.)

Go0gleplex makes a great point, however, in that finding really good fantasy movies is hard to do.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Legend. So bad it was good! That film was Sheguru Miyamoto's source material for Legend of Zelda. Jokes aside, Dragonslayer was awful!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Not sure what is wrong with some of you...

But, I would say most would not like The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Oh man, I like Legend, Dragonslayer, and The Neverending Story. Those movies at least had budgets and talent...

I think I'd have to go with Ator, the Fighting Eagle; or Thor the Conqueror. Those are two Z-grade Italian fantasy nonsense films.

More recently, The Legend of Hercules was pretty unwatchable.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Hmmm. I seem to remember liking Dragonslayer, but it's been decades since I watched it so my memory is pretty hazy.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Post by SmokestackJones »

My problem is I like bad movies (being a huge fan of MST3K doesn't help).

I like the first D&D movie because it's bad. Jeremy Irons and the guy with blue lips makes it worth it. Such glorious ham and cheese on the screen! And Richard O'Brien!

Ice Pirates is high on my stink-o-meter. Also (thank you MST3K) the Ator sequel The Blade Master (aka Cave Dwellers), and Warrior of The Lost World (if we're gonna stretch it into post-apocalyptic).

-SJ

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I seriously LOVED Ice Pirates when I was a kid. I picked it up on DVD a few years ago and rewatched it. That was an excruciating experience. I had the same reaction rewatching Yellowbeard. Childhood me was an idiot with very little taste (although the scene in Yellowbeard where the British officer kicks the street urchin down the stairwell is still funny).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Want some bad acting, generally crap effects, and vague plot...but with a damn cool bow and gauntlet....then dig up a copy of The Archer. And yet, it still seems to be better than Ator and Warriors. ;)

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Buttmonkey wrote:I seriously LOVED Ice Pirates when I was a kid. I picked it up on DVD a few years ago and rewatched it. That was an excruciating experience. I had the same reaction rewatching Yellowbeard. Childhood me was an idiot with very little taste (although the scene in Yellowbeard where the British officer kicks the street urchin down the stairwell is still funny).

I hate to admit it, but that is true for me too .... So many movies I used to love that I watch with my girls and end up wishing I had dull sticks to jam into my eyes ...

Luckily, there are a few (very few it seems) that have stood the test of time.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Ice Pirates and Yellowbeard, yes! I also have a soft spot for low-rent fantasy movies of the 80s. The Deathstalker series, Warrior and the Sorceress, Sword and the Sorcerer, I dig them quite a bit. Are they good? Hell no!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Ice Pirates and Yellowbeard, yes! I also have a soft spot for low-rent fantasy movies of the 80s. The Deathstalker series, Warrior and the Sorceress, Sword and the Sorcerer, I dig them quite a bit. Are they good? Hell no!
Ice Pirates? Had a serious crush on Mary Crosby back in the day...

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
I think I'd have to go with Ator, the Fighting Eagle;
I second this. It was a terrible movie (they made at least 2 but maybe 3... I have them on VHS but can't really remember). Truly, truly bad. The only thing that made it good was when it was chosen for an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000... and it's one of my favorite episodes, made me laugh out loud many times.

I actually like the first D&D movie. It was bad, but it was good, fun, bad. :)

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Highlander II: The Quickening (and all that followed)

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Kayolan wrote:Highlander II: The Quickening (and all that followed)
Yeah. They were pretty bad. Greedy franchise owners pushing a story already concluded. But there are far worse out there. *shudder* unfortunately.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Worst has to be Cave Dwellers/Ator movies.

Good ones? The Ralph Bakshi "Trilogy" of animated films: Wizards (1977), The Lord of the Rings (1978), & Fire and Ice (1983).
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Kayolan wrote:Highlander II: The Quickening (and all that followed)
Yeah. They were pretty bad. Greedy franchise owners pushing a story already concluded. But there are far worse out there. *shudder* unfortunately.
Far worse yes, I just posted what first came to mind :)

Runnin
Henchman

Post by Runnin »

The Never Ending Story a bad movie? Right, you've gone too far. Have you not seen Son of the mask?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Runnin wrote:The Never Ending Story a bad movie? Right, you've gone too far. Have you not seen Son of the mask?

Nope didn't see it. I didn't like the first one so knew I'd hate the second one.

I will admit that compared to many movies mentioned here "Never Ending Story" is a better movie, but it is one I can't force myself to like no matter how hard I try ...

Oh by the way Runnin, welcome to the boards. Hope you enjoy the insanity that is our little gathering place !!

C&C Society

Raudie
Henchman

Post by Raudie »

I saw the animated Dragonlance movie (I smartly borrowed it from the library) and thought it was a stinker as well.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Sadly, yeah... If they had just used straight traditional animation and not done those terrible CGI sections in places, that alone would've improved the quality.
Raudie wrote:I saw the animated Dragonlance movie (I smartly borrowed it from the library) and thought it was a stinker as well.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'm a sucker for fantasy movies. Even bad ones. The genre doesn't get its due, so i'm usually very forgiving when it comes to fantasy movies.

That said, there are a few that stand out, to me, as being pretty awful. In the Name of the King was pretty rough, as was Dungeon Siege. And, those cheesy 80s fantasy movies that I ate up back in the day, I have a difficult time getting through today. I re-watched The Warrior and the Sorceress and The Sword and the Sorcerer a few weeks back and they were rather hard to swallow.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I watched one this weekend, Garm Wars: The Last Druid. Even with Lance Hendrickson and Kevin Durand this flick was a sci-fi/fantasy stink-fest.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Fizz
Lore Drake

Post by Fizz »

Does Zardoz count? Maybe that's more Sci-Fi.

Or perhaps Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone... hmmm... again guess that's more Sci-Fi.

I found Van Helsing to be really bad... perhaps because of its butchery of classic monsters.

I never saw it, but i heard Eragon was pretty bad.

How about Gremlins 2? Bad on so many levels...

Scorpion King was bad, but perhaps worse because it followed from the second Mummy movie, which was pretty good (though not as good as the first).

I think for me though, the first D&D movie was the worst. In an absolute sense, it is not the worst in this list, but because i had high expectations for it, it was a huge letdown thereby making it feel much worse.

-Fizz

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Fizz wrote:D
Or perhaps Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone... hmmm... again guess that's more Sci-Fi

-Fizz
When ever I hear the sentence "worse movie" that one pops into my mind. Saw that in the theater back in the day and we came out thinking WTF just happened?

JohnHesser
Henchman

Post by JohnHesser »

Lurker wrote:Right now my vote is The never ending story ...

My wife put it in for the girls tonight for Saturday evening movie knight . She complained that I have the girls watch Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, star dust, & Princess bride to often .

I had forgotten how much I disliked this movie. I can't say why i found this phenq review specifically why I dislike it so, but it just rubs me the wrong way .... bad story, bad ideas, bad effects, .... Even as I watch it I want to re-like it , need for imagination or face nothing etc etc etc. But I just can't force myself to like it ...

So to make it interesting, what movie do you all dislike
Scorpion King and Son of the Mask. Both were bad ideas and unbearable effects. I don't know why such movies are being made. To tell you the truth, I had a lot of expectations with Son of the Mask, but it was a disaster.