Victorious Impressions - Print Copy

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

narpet
Red Cap

Victorious Impressions - Print Copy

Post by narpet »

I thought I'd start a separate thread to discuss initial impressions of the print version of Victorious, so we can all talk about our feelings on the book now that it's arriving in homes.

I've read the first 25 pages so far. I did skip the "what is a RPG" section because I've read so many of those over the last 38 years, that I have a hard time getting myself to read them any more. :)

I like what I'm reading so far. I've found some formatting problems, but the only thing that I really saw as a problem was several instances that refer you to a page, but instead of the page number, it just has "XX". Looks like they forgot to put the actual page in after it was determined.

I feel like the game is more tuned toward veteran players. The reason I say this is that the character creation and game in general is pretty open. You can create any type of character you want, but you need to know what kind of world you're going to be "living" in. You need to temper your character creation so that it fits. I know this is obvious, but not necessarily to a new group of gamers. I have a couple friends that I hope to play with some day. They are new to PnP Roleplaying. I could see them getting a little confused, wanting to create a character that can fly, or stretch... but if I don't guide them, that may not be appropriate for the "world" we're going to play in.

Believe it or not, this is a good thing to me. I've been playing RPGs since I was 12 (I'm 50 now). I like an RPG that allows me as a GM to create any type of game I want. This game obviously leads towards the steampunk genre (though it does stray a lot into other realms), but you can really do what you want with it. You could play it as a superhero RPG if you wanted to, with very little extra work.

So... I have a lot more to read... but I like it so far. The formatting issues are there, but minor in my opinion. I think some of the rules regarding powers could be confusing to first time gamers... but I like them and the flexibility they have.

I'll try to post more thoughts as I read more.

Let's hear what the rest of you think.

Also... can't wait to hear about the first playthrough from someone, based off of the print version of the game.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Victorious Impressions - Print Copy

Post by Treebore »

I'm liking what I am reading too. Then again, I read through the PDF a good bit in an attempt to help reduce editing mistakes. Didn't appear to help since several errors that I reported are still there. So as far as how sloppy the editing turned out to be after the effort I know a number of people put in to get rid of these errors, I'm a bit on the angry side.

I too am looking forward to getting to run or play in a campaign or two, because actually using the rules reveals just how cohesive and comprehensive they are, or aren't. I got to do a fair bit of play testing, but that info was revealed in pieces and parts, far from being a full picture of the rules, like we have now. However, I am guessing it will be months before anyone I game with gets a game of Victorious going, or I get one going with them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

<Klingonese>jIHvaD naDevvo' 'e' wej chenmoH choH paq yIghoS.</Klingonese>

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm impressed the most by just how flexible the game appears to be with out much modification. I plan on using V for a Star Wars game in the future with little or no change and I can see how you could use it for Sword and Sorcery game just as easily.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Rigon wrote:I'm impressed the most by just how flexible the game appears to be with out much modification. I plan on using V for a Star Wars game in the future with little or no change and I can see how you could use it for Sword and Sorcery game just as easily.

R-
I agree. That's what I like the most so far as well. As a matter of fact, I see it as being a little weak (no harm intended) as a "steampunk" genre game, but strong as a new entry to flexible RPG's that can be molded to fit your gaming needs.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

The steampunk setting is different, but I personally am not a huge steampunk fan. To me, I can see where Mike's inspiration for the system came from. The system when I first saw it appeared to be a tweaked version of d20 Silver Age Sentinels, but using the SIEGE engine in place of the d20 mechanics. That's not a bad thing...but to be honest it did influence my editing when it came to writing out powers in the character writeups. Since each power had discrete levels of at least 1 through 6, it was easier to write "Blast 2 (1D8)" than write "Rank" every time it was necessary to note a power or skill. For the character writeups though it probably didn't matter, as I believe full-page spreads for the characters were intended to be used. I don't have a PDF to examine in that regard so....

I do think a version of Victorious! divorced from the setting would make for an excellent generic game. However, the rules would need to have some added work done to be able to cover multiple genres.

P.S. Speaking of Victorious!, in all character writeups in that book as well as the Phantasmagoria, any time you see a Blast with more than 1 die of damage, the Blast has been modified by the Potence power. In Manifest Destiny and Rule Brittania, Potence is listed as one of the character's powers, along with a note where the Potence applies (usually to Blast). Thus, "Blast 3 (2D8)" should actually be read as "Blast 2 (1D8)" and "Potence 1 (Blast)".

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I've been waiting to comment on this...at least until I have a hardcopy or final pdf to discuss. ;)

I do have to make a quick correction though. Blast allows the dice to be modified within the power, and Potence isn't necessary. "Potence" influences things that don't have that option, like Strength attacks, Charisma attacks (Intimidation), etc.

I will only say that I'm a big believer in DM/GM Fiat and that anyone trying to make a rule for everything is on a fool's errand. If such a thing were even possible, the GM wouldn't be necessary!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Mike, in the manuscript, there was no mention of being able to increase the number of dice in Blast. The only thing mentioned for Blast is increasing the die type. Thus you'd have to use Potence to increase the number of dice.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Traveller wrote:Mike, in the manuscript, there was no mention of being able to increase the number of dice in Blast. The only thing mentioned for Blast is increasing the die type. Thus you'd have to use Potence to increase the number of dice.
I disagree. I distinctly recall when you level and get a new "power" you can use that to "buy" an improvement, such as increase the dice from a d6 to a d8, or just add another d6, for 2d6 damage, or to change the area of effect to a cone, but this use would not increase the overall rank of the power. I think the related example typically used Frost' freezing blast. Now I agree the description of Blast itself does not indicate all this, but associated text does.

Edit: The description of Blast does indicate you can either step up the die type from d6 to d8 to d10 (at rank 3), or you can just increase the number of d6 to 3d6 at Rank 3.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I don't have a final PDF to reference. The manuscript I don't recall having that bit of information in it. If it had, I wouldn't have screwed up blast in the character writeups in Manifest Destiny or Rule Brittania.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Traveller wrote:<Klingonese>jIHvaD naDevvo' 'e' wej chenmoH choH paq yIghoS.</Klingonese>
Don't suppose you'd translate this... 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Rough translation: Errors in the book piss me off.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Traveller wrote:Rough translation: Errors in the book piss me off.
Yeah, especially when, you, Mike, myself, and others tried to get rid of them. Simple stuff, like refer to page XX instead of the actual page number, TO Hit instead of To Hit, failure to separate words, capitalizing a given attribute, then not capitalizing it, and so on. A lot of simple mistakes.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Hey Trav,

I am going through and literally high lighting all the errors I can find. Once I am done, and type it up, which won't be for a few more days yet, because I have Doctor appointments up in Tucson for the next two days, should I PM it to you, or should I send it to Tim? Or Mike? I'm sure not sending it to Steve's e-mail.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

How about all of the above? Best to get any errata collected before the distribution reprints in Sept.

I'd help, but we still have no hardcopies. Nor pdfs of any but the main book. <sigh>

Mike

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:How about all of the above? Best to get any errata collected before the distribution reprints in Sept.

I'd help, but we still have no hardcopies. Nor pdfs of any but the main book. <sigh>

Mike
I can give you access to all the PDF's via Google Drive. Just my Desktop is dead, and while I am building my new desktop, I wont be finished with it until Wednesday or Thursday, then I need to install all the software. Why is this a problem? Because all my PDF's are on my old drive, which I will be installing in my new Desktop.

I suppose I could re DL them to this laptop, then upload them to my G-Drive.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

You could, but I don't think a few days will kill us.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Traveller wrote:You could, but I don't think a few days will kill us.
Well, if he wants them, I went ahead and got them and put them in my G Drive. So if he wants access, all I have to do now is send him a link.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Like Trav said, no rush. But since you've done it anyway, go ahead and send links please!

BTW Trav, I'd never looked at Silver Age Sentinals...Now you've got me curious to go look! ;)

Mike

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:Like Trav said, no rush. But since you've done it anyway, go ahead and send links please!

BTW Trav, I'd never looked at Silver Age Sentinals...Now you've got me curious to go look! ;)

Mike
I sent it to Liz, since she was the last one to e-mail me.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~guild/downloads/fastplay.pdf

It's not Silver Age Sentinels, but in the Big Eyes Small Mouth fastplay above is a generic power description template that is similar to what d20 SAS used. The difference is that in d20 SAS, attribute progression is in ten steps, while in BESM progression is in six.

They also extended the power description template to Defects (Victorious! shortcomings) but only provided one or two levels of effect.

As to looking at d20 SAS, I could send a copy of the fastplay. However, it really doesn't provide any more information than the PDF I linked to.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Thanks, I'll give it a once-over!

Mike

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Got my Victorious box in the mail today. Packaging was top rate as always. The books look really nice. Even my wife commented on how nice the hardback looked. Very nice cover art.

I read through the introduction and some of the appendices to get an idea what this game is about and the inspirational materials that inform its creation. I also briefly skimmed through the interior content. I didn't notice any glaring typographical or grammatical errors. Just a couple of minor things, but nothing that impacted understanding of the material.

All things said, the books look really nice and I hope that reading through them gets me inspired to give the game a whirl. Steampunk, Victorian Age and Superheroes are interesting genres, but none of these have ever been genres that have really drawn me in or made me want to roleplay in them. I mainly backed the Kickstarter to help the project meet stretch goals, with the off-chance that the material would get me excited about exploring a new roleplaying genre.

I might have to first delve into the inspirational materials to really have a feel for what this game is about/can be. I have read a few of these books and seen a few of the films, but most of the items are completely foreign to me.

At any rate, congrats DMMike for seeing your work come to fruition! Very cool!

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

pawndream wrote:Got my Victorious box in the mail today. Packaging was top rate as always. The books look really nice. Even my wife commented on how nice the hardback looked. Very nice cover art.

I read through the introduction and some of the appendices to get an idea what this game is about and the inspirational materials that inform its creation. I also briefly skimmed through the interior content. I didn't notice any glaring typographical or grammatical errors. Just a couple of minor things, but nothing that impacted understanding of the material.

All things said, the books look really nice and I hope that reading through them gets me inspired to give the game a whirl. Steampunk, Victorian Age and Superheroes are interesting genres, but none of these have ever been genres that have really drawn me in or made me want to roleplay in them. I mainly backed the Kickstarter to help the project meet stretch goals, with the off-chance that the material would get me excited about exploring a new roleplaying genre.

I might have to first delve into the inspirational materials to really have a feel for what this game is about/can be. I have read a few of these books and seen a few of the films, but most of the items are completely foreign to me.

At any rate, congrats DMMike for seeing your work come to fruition! Very cool!
Thanks! I just gotta bug Steve to send me the stuff. ;)

Mike

gwb83
Ungern

Post by gwb83 »

I have read most of the core book this week and I'm really happy with it! It is very different from what I anticipated. Victorious is a whole different ballgame from Amazing Adventures, which sticks closely to the C&C classes and spells. This is a very open (i.e. flexible) system in terms of character creation. The classes mainly provide hit dice with skill and power packages to capture the archetypes of the period. The Victorious approach reminds me a bit of 1st edition Mutants & Masterminds. The game feels as wild as the era it is set in. It will be interesting to watch the interplay between some of the power options, such as Attribute boosts, Invulnerability, Lightning Speed, and combos of various power/rank + Potence. I think GMs will have to be on their toes to keep a long term campaign under control, but we shall see.

I really appreciate the research that Mike has done to bring the Victorian Age to life. Great information is spread throughout the book, from equipment to factions to lifestyle to year-by-year chronology and of course the Supermankind NPCs you could encounter for good or for ill. The appendices keep stoking the Victorian flames even more with all sorts of inspirational references. This book is jam-packed at only 142 pages.

There are some noticeable editing bugs, but I'm not bothered much by them so far. Next, I'm looking forward to creating a couple of characters. Overall, I'm very pleased with the product and intrigued about how it will play-out when I get a chance to run it!
Gary Brown
Whimstorm ...some gaming archives

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Thanks for the kind words Gary!
gwb83 wrote:I have read most of the core book this week and I'm really happy with it! It is very different from what I anticipated. Victorious is a whole different ballgame from Amazing Adventures, which sticks closely to the C&C classes and spells. This is a very open (i.e. flexible) system in terms of character creation. The classes mainly provide hit dice with skill and power packages to capture the archetypes of the period. The Victorious approach reminds me a bit of 1st edition Mutants & Masterminds. The game feels as wild as the era it is set in. It will be interesting to watch the interplay between some of the power options, such as Attribute boosts, Invulnerability, Lightning Speed, and combos of various power/rank + Potence. I think GMs will have to be on their toes to keep a long term campaign under control, but we shall see.
LOL Another game I haven't seen! Though I suppose once you OGL something its bound to have similarities. I will honestly say that playtesting only went to 12th level or so, and V might break down at 20th+ level play, but I've tended to be the type of gamer who retired characters in the teens anyway. ;) I've also had people bring C&C characters into a V game with no problems so I anticipate AA characters doing the same...but I need to actually read AA before I can swear to it.
gwb83 wrote:I really appreciate the research that Mike has done to bring the Victorian Age to life. Great information is spread throughout the book, from equipment to factions to lifestyle to year-by-year chronology and of course the Supermankind NPCs you could encounter for good or for ill. The appendices keep stoking the Victorian flames even more with all sorts of inspirational references. This book is jam-packed at only 142 pages.

Thanks for the kudos on the research. As an academic, I'm occasionally worried that I might go too far into the history...too far for the average gamer anyway. <G>
gwb83 wrote:There are some noticeable editing bugs, but I'm not bothered much by them so far. Next, I'm looking forward to creating a couple of characters. Overall, I'm very pleased with the product and intrigued about how it will play-out when I get a chance to run it!
Please post your experiences either here or on the FB/G+ pages if you can. I'm always fascinated to read about other people's games. IMO, a RPG is a game that gives a baseline, but that a GM and players will inevitably make their own. This makes stories of chronicles always intriguing to me!

Mike

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, to be clear, I am loving the rules, their flexibility to build characters as a class or free form, etc... and Mike has indeed put a lot of great Victorian era flavor into the writing. Of course, whats even potentially better, for those who can't get into the Victorian era or the Steam Punk imagery, the rules can be used in any time period the GM is most comfortable with.

I am just very upset by the editing errors because I know Steve Eg and Mike, in particular, with some input from me and others, tried very hard to make this printing as flawless as possible. Which I believed would happen, so ordered/backed for a leatherette version. So to see Troll Steve fail to use the most correct version of the PDF for printing was extremely disappointing.

marroon69
Mist Elf

Post by marroon69 »

I agree the editing errors are very annoying and ruin the overall presentation. Has anyone at Troll Lord commented on that?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

marroon69 wrote:I agree the editing errors are very annoying and ruin the overall presentation. Has anyone at Troll Lord commented on that?
All I can tell you is Steve and Tim are aware. I let them both know how displeased I am over these editing errors. All they said at the time was they were going to look at it and for me to e-mail Steve my compiled list. Which I then asked him if he was serious about having me e-mail his black hole of e-mails. I will send it to Tim, who can then get it to Steve.

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

...and we're still waiting for the hardcopies. BTW, thanks Treebore for the pdfs!

Mike