(Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: (Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Post by Treebore »

We had a bad storm last night. Power was out for over 7 hours. Helping out mother in law and a neighbor/friend with some issues the storm caused them. Already patched up mine this morning. I don't THINK any of this will interfere with tonights game, but if I am not around, you have a good idea as to why.

So Rigon, you may want to be ready to run your game instead, if I am not here, and I will join when I can. Again, if I am not here on time in the first place.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Looks like my game.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I may be a little late for the game. My girls' school is having a prayer meeting before classes start this week.

I'm guessing 30ish min late, but there is no way to know for sure.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:I may be a little late for the game. My girls' school is having a prayer meeting before classes start this week.

I'm still in a lot of pain, running fevers, headaches, etc... probably best to stick with Rigon's game.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote: I'm still in a lot of pain, running fevers, headaches, etc... probably best to stick with Rigon's game.
Wow. You have been laid up for quite a while with this flare up. Hope you get better soon

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Lurker wrote:I may be a little late for the game. My girls' school is having a prayer meeting before classes start this week.

I'm still in a lot of pain, running fevers, headaches, etc... probably best to stick with Rigon's game.
Ok, I'll run.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Hope you get better
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wrote: I'm still in a lot of pain, running fevers, headaches, etc... probably best to stick with Rigon's game.
Wow. You have been laid up for quite a while with this flare up. Hope you get better soon
What I am going through now is a result of the procedures. The anemia is under control, I am almost back up to 11.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Are you feeling up to running your game this week or should I plan on running my game?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Are you feeling up to running your game this week or should I plan on running my game?

R-
I likely cannot. I have this irritating as Hades cough, and the more I talk, the more I cough, and before long, its so intense it has me dry retching. This is with me using two different throat numbing agents, etc...

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:Are you feeling up to running your game this week or should I plan on running my game?

R-
I likely cannot. I have this irritating as Hades cough, and the more I talk, the more I cough, and before long, its so intense it has me dry retching. This is with me using two different throat numbing agents, etc...
Ok, then I will be prepare to run my game.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

You or me tonight?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:You or me tonight?

R-
You. Still running fevers, coughing, having dry heaves, etc...

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:

R-

Then stop drinking cheap Tequila ... that stuff will kill you!

All joking aside, Honestly, get better , I have seen how much chronic sickness can mess with someone over the long run.

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:

R-
Will do and get better.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

We return to this game Monday, when your preparing to head out of town to look for the two wanted men who are presumably panning/prospecting for gold.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm going to need a refresher. I think I missed the last session or two.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:I'm going to need a refresher. I think I missed the last session or two.
I imagine everyone will, its been so long.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I had hoped to do a full write up as a refresher today, but my friend’s truck had issues, so he couldn’t come to work, the boss – and old new girl (she still hasn’t earned the right for me to use here name) -was as lazy as he and she always are, and we were busy for our office . Sooooo I had no free time.

With that here you go on a condensed, cliff note summery – correct me where I’m wrong –

We put together a plan to go into Indian territory – I’m not sure why we are going, but the professor hired us as protectors, and most of us are tired of cleaning horse barns.

The idea was kicked around for him to buy the cheapest horses possible to kit us out with. I refused, maybe one other did to. As a cowboy I promised that whoever road a cheap horse out of town into the territory, would walk back, or be buried out there.

We couldn’t afford better, so decided to collect the open bounties.

The black bounty hunter – Rigon’s character I can’t remember his name – spotted the girl with the lowest bounty in the bar. He propositioned her, and when he got her into the room over powered her and tied her up ...

I realized my character’s weakness of chivalrous will be a big issue with female enemies !!!

She told the bounty hunter where her 2 partners were prospecting for gold, and they were expecting to stay out for at least 3 more weeks or a month (again not sure on specifics). I had a fair idea where it would be, but don’t know their specific prospecting sight. I think she also mentioned what weapons they had, but that is fuzzy at best. I know someone has a shot gun, and it isn’t my character, so that worries me

Then he turned her into the sheriff. The sheriff and the bounty hunter seemed to get on good enough so that is good. The sheriff mentioned we could leave her (and any other bounties) with him in the jail and wait till the judge comes in, or we could take them all up to the county (or region not sure which) court house and get paid then.

We also found out the 4th (& I think most valuable) bounty was out running his trap lines and would be back into town – I think in a few weeks, not sure, but I know it isn’t right away. He is in a different area than the 2 partners of the girl. But I have a good idea on the way he will come into town, and where he will be headed in town (the general store, so that won’t be a good place to try and catch him). Best will be out in the woods when he is crossing the creek / river.

We rented good horses to go out and try and catch the 2 prospecting, but didn’t have a plan before the end of the night. If we leave right now, we will get there either this evening or next evening (I can’t remember if it was the same day or the next, but I know it would be a bit before sunset, if we don’t get lost of course)

After the game, I’ve thought about options:
1 bush wack them and shoot them down without a chance to fight. (I’m still me, so don’t like that idea)

2 find their camp and surround it and give them the chance to give up, probably still have to shoot them, but that is at least not becoming a no good dirty rotten bush wacher.

3. When we find their camp, I can ride in and distract them, let everyone get in position and surprise / over whelm them. More dangerous (for me) but it is the best chance to get them in alive.

If we choose number 3, I do have the distract skill – it was one of my few cha skills – so I have a chance of keeping them mis focused long enough for everyone else to get into position and over whelm them.

My cover … I get flour, corn meal, bean, salt pork, coffee etc. Take it along and say I’m riding the prospect line and selling goods that most will need a resupply on after being in the woods for a month or 3 for the general store – at a mark up of course – and taking orders for larger / more specific items.
Also, before going into camp, I’ll be yelling bear, yo bear etc etc etc (always a good idea to do in bear country any way) and have my carbine out. In their camp, I’ll over exaggerate seeing a bear sow and cub, and start at random sounds ‘did you hear that’ ‘it ain’t that Bar and her cub is it???’ ‘Boy in Missouri, we had some black bears, no much bigger than a hawg, but these norther bears … good lord’. I’ll ham that up, and do the farm boy from Missouri that has never seen real gold prospecting … ‘how do you pan’, ‘did you find any color’, etc etc.

If possible I’ll try and be by their horse line when everyone else steps out that way they can’t rush for their horses and try to escape. However, I’m worried about their street howitzer, so I’ll try to be between them and their shot gun even more than their horses unless they have it in hand when I come into camp, and don’t relax enough to set it down. but if the are cautious I'll avoid drawing attention to the shot gun and be by the horses checking his shoes, brushing him down etc

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:I had hoped to do a full write up as a refresher today, but my friend’s truck had issues, so he couldn’t come to work, the boss – and old new girl (she still hasn’t earned the right for me to use here name) -was as lazy as he and she always are, and we were busy for our office . Sooooo I had no free time.

With that here you go on a condensed, cliff note summery – correct me where I’m wrong –

We put together a plan to go into Indian territory – I’m not sure why we are going, but the professor hired us as protectors, and most of us are tired of cleaning horse barns.

The idea was kicked around for him to buy the cheapest horses possible to kit us out with. I refused, maybe one other did to. As a cowboy I promised that whoever road a cheap horse out of town into the territory, would walk back, or be buried out there.

We couldn’t afford better, so decided to collect the open bounties.

The black bounty hunter – Rigon’s character I can’t remember his name – spotted the girl with the lowest bounty in the bar. He propositioned her, and when he got her into the room over powered her and tied her up ...

I realized my character’s weakness of chivalrous will be a big issue with female enemies !!!

She told the bounty hunter where her 2 partners were prospecting for gold, and they were expecting to stay out for at least 3 more weeks or a month (again not sure on specifics). I had a fair idea where it would be, but don’t know their specific prospecting sight. I think she also mentioned what weapons they had, but that is fuzzy at best. I know someone has a shot gun, and it isn’t my character, so that worries me

Then he turned her into the sheriff. The sheriff and the bounty hunter seemed to get on good enough so that is good. The sheriff mentioned we could leave her (and any other bounties) with him in the jail and wait till the judge comes in, or we could take them all up to the county (or region not sure which) court house and get paid then.

We also found out the 4th (& I think most valuable) bounty was out running his trap lines and would be back into town – I think in a few weeks, not sure, but I know it isn’t right away. He is in a different area than the 2 partners of the girl. But I have a good idea on the way he will come into town, and where he will be headed in town (the general store, so that won’t be a good place to try and catch him). Best will be out in the woods when he is crossing the creek / river.

We rented good horses to go out and try and catch the 2 prospecting, but didn’t have a plan before the end of the night. If we leave right now, we will get there either this evening or next evening (I can’t remember if it was the same day or the next, but I know it would be a bit before sunset, if we don’t get lost of course)

After the game, I’ve thought about options:
1 bush wack them and shoot them down without a chance to fight. (I’m still me, so don’t like that idea)

2 find their camp and surround it and give them the chance to give up, probably still have to shoot them, but that is at least not becoming a no good dirty rotten bush wacher.

3. When we find their camp, I can ride in and distract them, let everyone get in position and surprise / over whelm them. More dangerous (for me) but it is the best chance to get them in alive.

If we choose number 3, I do have the distract skill – it was one of my few cha skills – so I have a chance of keeping them mis focused long enough for everyone else to get into position and over whelm them.

My cover … I get flour, corn meal, bean, salt pork, coffee etc. Take it along and say I’m riding the prospect line and selling goods that most will need a resupply on after being in the woods for a month or 3 for the general store – at a mark up of course – and taking orders for larger / more specific items.
Also, before going into camp, I’ll be yelling bear, yo bear etc etc etc (always a good idea to do in bear country any way) and have my carbine out. In their camp, I’ll over exaggerate seeing a bear sow and cub, and start at random sounds ‘did you hear that’ ‘it ain’t that Bar and her cub is it???’ ‘Boy in Missouri, we had some black bears, no much bigger than a hawg, but these norther bears … good lord’. I’ll ham that up, and do the farm boy from Missouri that has never seen real gold prospecting … ‘how do you pan’, ‘did you find any color’, etc etc.

If possible I’ll try and be by their horse line when everyone else steps out that way they can’t rush for their horses and try to escape. However, I’m worried about their street howitzer, so I’ll try to be between them and their shot gun even more than their horses unless they have it in hand when I come into camp, and don’t relax enough to set it down. but if the are cautious I'll avoid drawing attention to the shot gun and be by the horses checking his shoes, brushing him down etc

You have it mostly correct. We can clear up the discrepancies as they come up tonight.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

All I know is I've got a Sharps long rifle and a dead eye. You get them to identify themselves and I'll see they hang..er.. get justice.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:All I know is I've got a Sharps long rifle and a dead eye. You get them to identify themselves and I'll see they hang..er.. get justice.

R-
If I'm in amongst them, and you start bangin' away with the long stick ... DON'T MISS !!!!

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm on Discord and Roll 20.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote:All I know is I've got a Sharps long rifle and a dead eye. You get them to identify themselves and I'll see they hang..er.. get justice.

R-
If I'm in amongst them, and you start bangin' away with the long stick ... DON'T MISS !!!!
I don't miss.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Game summary I have also posted in other locations. Don't forget, there are two similar write ups earlier in this thread, as well as rules issues, in particular about skills, also written about earlier in this thread.

They started where we left off however many months ago, by heading West out of town along the creek and eventually found the two men who had the bounty on them, I ran gun battle that lasted less than 50 counts, one Bounty was dead, and the other down and seriously wounded with a shot to the chest that broke a bone, lodged a bullet, and had internal bleeding. The character with the Medical skill was unable to perform a surgery, but fortunately for the Bounty he rolled a "1" on his very first check, so the bleeding stopped on its own, allowing him to die another day, if infection didn't set in. They got him and the body of his partner back to 3 Creeks in 2 days. After turning over the body and the living Bounty to the Sheriff and Church for burial, they moved on to apprehending the 4th and final bounty living in 3 Creeks, Wes, who was wanted for murder. The next day the group discovered Wes was already back in town, having gotten back from his latest hunting trip the day before the group had returned with their bounties. They spotted Wes heading to the dry goods store, so 3 of the group followed him into the store while a 4th member went around back n case he attempted to run. The 3 party members drew on Wes and Powers declared in a very commanding and intimidating voice that he should surrender to them and live. So Wes did. The group then waited for the Judge to finsih his circuit and return to town so they could collect the $450.00 in total bounties owed to them. They then bought needed gear and supplies and headed off to the North to see what was going on along the border to the Indian lands of the North and Eastern Montana Territory. That will be played out starting next week.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I put a recap in the 'crusades' section. I don't know if I'll be able to do it each week, but I'll try.

For the buy list to prep for the expedition
2 tarps - better if we have a tarp each, but in a pinch 2 will be enough
bead roll - 1 each *
mess kit - 1 each *
Slicker / rain coat - 1 each *
tender box - 2 total *
coffee pot
cast iron pot
pan
1lb beans per person per week
coffee
corn meal 1 lb for all 4 of us per week
salt pork - ham smoked bacon (salted and smoked, nit light smoked and need to bee kept cool)
salt

med kit
dressing bandages
alcohol -
field glasses
excavation tools (if the professor wants to really try and dig up bones)

* is an item I already have 1 of

it would be good to have a pack mule (but at $20 they are expensive
it would be best if each of us have 3 horses - esp if we are going to be out fir more than 3 - 4 weeks, but we aint that rich. However, if we ever plan on going out and riding in hard lands for a month or more we WILL need them

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm going to attempt to update my character and spend my BPs. Then I'll spend some money.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:I'm going to attempt to update my character and spend my BPs. Then I'll spend some money.

R-
This may be a stupid question, but .... can we get on roll 20 at any time to update them ?

As for character purchases, can I sell the Russian pistol and get a different one - figure used gun will get me half the price so $7 . The pistol I want is common enough to expect it would be easy enough to find - Colt .45 4 3/4 in barrel. With the 7 from the Russian, I'd end up owing 11.75 on the colt. I can easily swing that.

Ok for improving a character, how do you improve shooting skills? I know the talents, but at 50+ bp for improved aiming talents or weapon bonus, that will be a while. Is there any other way to use bps to improve shooting skills? Oh yeah, can we save BPs to buy off quirks ?

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

This may be a stupid question, but .... can we get on roll 20 at any time to update them ?

Yes, you can. I don't need to be signed in for any of you to go into it.

As for character purchases, can I sell the Russian pistol and get a different one - figure used gun will get me half the price so $7 . The pistol I want is common enough to expect it would be easy enough to find - Colt .45 4 3/4 in barrel. With the 7 from the Russian, I'd end up owing 11.75 on the colt. I can easily swing that.

Sure.

Ok for improving a character, how do you improve shooting skills? I know the talents, but at 50+ bp for improved aiming talents or weapon bonus, that will be a while. Is there any other way to use bps to improve shooting skills? Oh yeah, can we save BPs to buy off quirks ?

After character creation Talents are the only option.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Tree, I know you had said something about increasing skills and that it was a multiplication thing which I understood. You also said something about when you increase by one tick, you add your ability for a standard campaign, but you were going to do it differently since we are doing a campaign (something about a roll). Can you explain that a little more. I plan on increasing some skills and adding a couple of new ones and would like to know the particulars. Thanks.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads