Rules for Rest, Resting in Armor? Can't find it!

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Harlock
Ungern

Rules for Rest, Resting in Armor? Can't find it!

Post by Harlock »

I found the bit about rest in the PHB on page 134 regarding healing a point per day, but for the life of me, I cannot find the section about trying to sleep in armor. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay
Nov. 5, 1948 – March 9, 2007
B/X, B4, X2 - You were D&D to me

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Rules for Rest, Resting in Armor? Can't find it!

Post by alcyone »

I don't recall such a rule from C&C, or a rule for how much time to don armor.

Here are the rules from d20: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

Maybe I am carrying it over from previous games. I know the Wilderness Survival Guide (I know, I know) had some rules. The older I get the more everything starts blurring together. Thanks!
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

I believe it was left out intentionally as that's a CK call. Personally I allow characters in chain mail or less to sleep in armor and still get 'rest'. I know this is possible, because I've slept in chain mail before. Its not great, but its doable. ;)

Anything with solid plates is going to be uncomfortable at best and downright painful at worst. Though its your game, so go with what souns good to you!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Never underestimate a soldier's ability to sleep anywhere if the circumstances require it. ;) As Mike said, sleeping in armor is not great but doable. I would allow half-rest or half-speed recover from fatigue conditions if resting in armor, including platemail. Good friend of mine now passed on made armor and swords for a living. He would often challenge our perceptions on stuff and then physically prove us wrong. lol Sometimes with interesting results.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Plus people seem to think that when you don plate mail that is all your wearing. They have no idea what layers are beneath. Same goes for chain. Your not naked under the chain. If you were, you wouldn't be able to wear it for long.

This is a good video for understanding just how many layers a knight in full plate armor is wearing when fully dressed:

https://vimeo.com/76004584

Which would also explain why it takes so darn long to don it. Yet I also think you can sleep in platemail, as long as your healthy/not injured. Depending on your injuries, you may want to get it off ASAP because its further impeding your ability to breathe, and no one likes to feel like they are being suffocated, as I have been personally reminded of this past week, with "injuries" I sustained during a medical procedure.

Personally, I don't pay attention to the details such as this, especially once they start getting magical armors. I never spell it out, but I assume part of the magics put into the most basic of magical armors, are the equivalent of 0 level spells that aid the wearer in the donning and removal of whatever armor it is.

Another enchantment I am certain which would be standard in such magical armors is Endure Elements. But I refrain from considering that to being a standard part of the enchantment process, and wait until the game gets high enough in level players can start having their magic armors custom made, and even think of such a major aspect of improving comfort while wearing armors.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

Thanks for the replies, all. You got my brain back on the right track.
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Treebore wrote: Another enchantment I am certain which would be standard in such magical armors is Endure Elements. But I refrain from considering that to being a standard part of the enchantment process, and wait until the game gets high enough in level players can start having their magic armors custom made, and even think of such a major aspect of improving comfort while wearing armors.
Yes, that would make it much more comfortable.
An enchantment that would be great for armor would be both chill and heat metal, then they'd be in opposition to each other and getting either cast on you would be redundant.

Though, if either was suppressed... hmmmm.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

One of the HP fanfics had a cushioning charm being used to make armor more comfortable to wear among other things.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Glad we could help Harlock!

Yes, most chain was supplemented by a padded jacket and coif (padded armor) underneath. Though chain mail is actually fairly quick to put on. Plate is a lot harder, but then you've got a chain mail hauberk (and padded) underneath the breastplate, pauldrons, etc.

I knew a guy who could swim laps in an Olympic sized poor wearing a chain mail shirt and breeches. Honest!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If you're going to include rules for sleeping in armor, you should also implement the cumulative daily chance to contract a disease or parasite. Also, please note paladins are not immune to parasites...

Harlock
Ungern

Post by Harlock »

I'm set. I don't want to get bogged down in minutiae, one of the best reasons for using C&C! And if it's not in the rules and I was combining rules from other games and systems in my mind, I am happy to not worry about it. My players get all the near death they need from the normal encounters.
~~~~~R.I.P~~~~~
Tom Moldvay

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Bogging down in minutiae is the trademark of anyone skilled in AD&D!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

As the fully armored Paladin sleeps off the wounds from a close call with a pair of rust monsters he awakens to a nightmarish scene of his beautiful magical plate mail riddled with squirming nasty insect-like maggots. He jumps to his feet as the last of the metallic plates disintegrate leaving only padding, leather, and straps all chain, buckles, and plate have been eaten by the larval rust monsters. Hundreds of new baby rust monster hop off into the underbrush content and satiated after gorging themselves on such lovely magical metal.

Sorry, that string of thoughts was fun to read.

I think the summary answer is do as you and your group find easy, fun and "likely", right or wrong, its your game. Come up with easy and fast rules that all can "live with" and don't worry too much about it.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.