Star Wars Victorious

Forum for discussion of Victorious, the upcoming Siege Engine RPG

Moderator: DMMike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Star Wars Victorious

Post by Rigon »

So today I had a chance to sit down with V and start thinking about a SW adaptation. I looks like I will only have to add a handful of skills and maybe 3-4 Powers to make the Force work like I want it to. I need to look at Shortcomings and equipment yet to see how I can modify them and then there is the question of vehicles and space/flight combat. But I'm hopeful it will work very smoothly.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Re: Star Wars Victorious

Post by finarvyn »

Sounds pretty cool. I didn't get in on the Victorious kickstart so I don't have access to the rules yet, but since it's basically C&C it's probably easy to pick up. Share what you come up with when you get your Force rules worked out! :-D
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Marv, there is a quickstart rulebook somewhere, I'll have a look around tomorrow and post so you can check it out.

Anyway, I ran a playtest of this game for our group and we all loved it.

I've read Rigon's other thread and agree that V would very much lend itself to a sci-fi game!

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

finarvyn wrote:Sounds pretty cool. I didn't get in on the Victorious kickstart so I don't have access to the rules yet, but since it's basically C&C it's probably easy to pick up. Share what you come up with when you get your Force rules worked out! :-D
While V is based on the SIEGE Engine, it is a class and skills based game, more or less. And I like skills based games for my sci-fi. If Rhu can't find the quickstart rules, let me know, I have it too.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

DMMike, any pointers on SW tech and ships for V would be greatly appreciated.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Let me echo Finarvyn in asking you to post your results in this endeavor! I'll get Liz and Treebore to even link it to the Victorious FB and G+ pages. ;)

Hm. Let me chew on the vehicles bit and get back to you. I *think* it would just be a matter of the customizing vehicle rules;
Giving a TIE fighter say Blast, Super-Movement (Flight) and maybe Armor (yeah, right! those things are one-hit wonders!) but more as I think of it.

Mike, chewing away...!
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Rhuvein wrote:Marv, there is a quickstart rulebook somewhere, I'll have a look around tomorrow and post so you can check it out.
You can find it in DMMike's signature.

I've seen the quickstart but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I was assuming that folks here have access to a full rulebook from the kickstart.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

When I get some stuff together I'll definitely post it. I like getting feedback and who better than the author of the base rules set.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

So, doing some more reading and thinking today. For non Force users, I was thinking of banning Supernatural Powers (as those will be Force powers), but now I'm thinking of allowing a few to help modify those characters some. Perhaps 2 lists, one open to all characters and one strictly for Force users. Also, I am going with the assumption that there are only a handful of Force powers (maybe 10 to 12) like I was doing for StarSIEGE. Having reread the skills, Supernatural Powers, and Short Comings sections again today, I don't think I will have to add much (if anything at all). I have some time tonight and might start to put some things together.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

You might also allow a small number of the Supernatural powers to different races, as racial benefits?

Thinking out loud, or in type;

Mike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Soooooooo I it sounds like I have a lot of reading to do to catch up so I can be of use in the discussion ....

I am used to SW D6 but like the KISS principle especially for things like vehicles etc etc etc. So I'd modify it to fit siege rules.

First use (a modified version) the scale rule from d6 . That way a human or speeder bike isn't on the same scale as a star destroyer, and you can compare specific things to others of that same scale. As you go up or down the scale the damage etc changes of things in a different scale - Walker with a 5 d damage shooting at a person sized object would do say ... x 2 or x 4 damage - but have a neg to hit due to shooting at a smaller target

Then give a basic stat block for each ship - say speed, maneuverability, armor (as mentioned with the tie 1 hit wonders) *** Maybe modified by shields *** sensor, then weapons with aim modifier and damage. Oh forgot, FTL travel, need nav computer and ftl speed too

I'd say each of those gives a recitative bonus (or negative) to skill rolls . So when making a pilot check a nimble ship like a TIE an X wing or the Falcon would be .... +3, a less nimble ship like the Y wing would be a +1, and a hunk of junk space tug would be a -2 . Then just make it a standard siege check.

The rest of the vehicle info would be narrative, so no need to hard and fast rule it.

Ok I'm taped out on knowledge now ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

DMMike wrote:You might also allow a small number of the Supernatural powers to different races, as racial benefits?

Thinking out loud, or in type;

Mike
That was my line o thinking too. Wookies for example: They would get Robust Rank 2, Attribute Rank 1 (only for Str and Con), and Super Movement (Climbing) Rank 1. I think that covers pretty much everything game mechanically wise for Wookies. And again, I'd only do aliens on a case by case basis. No need to create a crap ton of extra work for myself.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:Soooooooo I it sounds like I have a lot of reading to do to catch up so I can be of use in the discussion ....
Hop to, soldier!
I am used to SW D6 but like the KISS principle especially for things like vehicles etc etc etc. So I'd modify it to fit siege rules.

First use (a modified version) the scale rule from d6 . That way a human or speeder bike isn't on the same scale as a star destroyer, and you can compare specific things to others of that same scale. As you go up or down the scale the damage etc changes of things in a different scale - Walker with a 5 d damage shooting at a person sized object would do say ... x 2 or x 4 damage - but have a neg to hit due to shooting at a smaller target

Then give a basic stat block for each ship - say speed, maneuverability, armor (as mentioned with the tie 1 hit wonders) *** Maybe modified by shields *** sensor, then weapons with aim modifier and damage. Oh forgot, FTL travel, need nav computer and ftl speed too

I'd say each of those gives a recitative bonus (or negative) to skill rolls . So when making a pilot check a nimble ship like a TIE an X wing or the Falcon would be .... +3, a less nimble ship like the Y wing would be a +1, and a hunk of junk space tug would be a -2 . Then just make it a standard siege check.

The rest of the vehicle info would be narrative, so no need to hard and fast rule it.
I'll probably look at several different sources for specs on vehicles and get them to fit the existing rules before I try to become to fiddly with them.
Ok I'm taped out on knowledge now ...
Man, I expected better. ;)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Here is my preliminary thoughts on character creation. And as always, feedback is greatly appreciated.

R-

Star Wars: Victorious
A Star Wars Adaptation for Victorious

Character Creation:
All SW:V characters are created by the Victorious rules.

Species
Humans (as the rules)
Aliens (developed by the GM on a case by case basis)
Example: Wookies: A wookie character receives the following Super Natural Powers for free: Attribute (applicable to Strength and Constitution only) Rank 1, Robust Rank 2, Super Movement (Climbing) Rank 1

Skills
Fire Arms would be for blasters
Occult would only be associated with the Force
Profession would include things like Pilot, Imperial Navy, Smuggler, Technician etc.
Survival would only apply to ecosystems and include Space as an ecosystem
Science would include things like Mechanical Engineering, Computers, Astrogation, etc.

Supernatural Powers
Not all Supernatural Powers will be available.
Open to all characters: Attribute, Intuition, Knack, Luck, Might, and Robust
Open only to Force Users: A Force using character must have at least 1 rank in Intuition to select any Supernatural Power associated with the Force: Blast (Lightning), Healing, Intuition, Keen Senses, Mesmerize, Psycho-kinesis, Reflection (blaster bolt or Force Lightning), and Telepathy (may need to add a few powers for things like Force Visions, Lightsaber Combat, and Meditation)

Themes may be used to represent Force Traditions such as Jedi, Sith, Knight of Ren, etc. with guidance/permission from the GM.

Shortcomings
The following Shortcomings may be selected: Enemy, Fame, Handicap, Inhuman, Notorious, Odd Appearance, Phobia, Poverty, Watched, and Unlucky

Victory Points
Acquired and used by the Victorious rules.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Looks good so far! Would you allow gadgets? Though in V terms they'd probably be unique items...either alien artifacts or perhaps a light saber.

Hm. In the latter case perhaps you could have the act of making your own light saber give certain powers attached to the blade? Might, Reflection, etc.?

As for vehicles, you could put FTL as one of the later ranks of Super Movement, perhaps with a minimum SM rank requirement before hitting FTL?

Still chewing...munch, munch, munch! LOL

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I hadn't thought to use gadgets like that, but that is a great idea.

As for FTL travel, I did consider having that be in the upper ranks of Super Movement.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

First in full disclosure I've never played any of the SW RPGS. My go to SciFi is Traveller. ;)

But, as I thought about X-Wing vs. TIE fighter, the following came to mind. X-Wings are, AIR, not as maneuverable as TIE Fighters, but have Hyperspace capability.

In this regard, perhaps give the X-Wing several ranks of Super Movement to reflect their long range and Hyperspace capacity? The TIE Fighters could have only 1-2 ranks of Super Movement, but give them Lightning Speed to reflect their greater maneuverability?

Chew-Chew-Chew. :D

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

DMMike wrote:First in full disclosure I've never played any of the SW RPGS. My go to SciFi is Traveller. ;)

But, as I thought about X-Wing vs. TIE fighter, the following came to mind. X-Wings are, AIR, not as maneuverable as TIE Fighters, but have Hyperspace capability.

In this regard, perhaps give the X-Wing several ranks of Super Movement to reflect their long range and Hyperspace capacity? The TIE Fighters could have only 1-2 ranks of Super Movement, but give them Lightning Speed to reflect their greater maneuverability?

Chew-Chew-Chew. :D

Mike
That's a fantastic notion.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Mike, I looked at Gadgets. I think that would work for lightsabers instead of creating a Supernatural Power, but I might have to add a Shortcoming to it. Something like Force Training (where all Supernatural Powers are only effective in the hands of a Force User).

This system really lends itself to adaptability.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Good thought, that way Joe Solo can swing at people with it, but there's no blaster deflection, etc.

Mike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
Lurker wrote: Soooooooo I it sounds like I have a lot of reading to do to catch up so I can be of use in the discussion ....
Hop to, soldier!
Well, it has rained off and on all morning here so no yard work for me ... darn just breaks my heart ... That said, I've had a chance to read through character creation twice and thin I have it down now.

That said, you know me trying to throw flies in the oil ... I eventually tried to think through a character like Boba Fet & his highly modified Mandalorian armor. I know right out of the gate you can't get him, but through play and experience (and using the battle suite package) it would be easy enough to build. However, that will have to open up your list of 'supernatural powers' . Adding fire attack for the flame thrower, flight for the jet pack, improved senses for the built in sensor package, & I'm sure I've missed one or two.

With that, I'd argue for case by case allowing more powers. Of course, there would have to be background for it, role playing to get it and exp to earn it ... Just like your rule on alien species.

Rigon wrote:
Lurker wrote: I am used to SW D6 but like the KISS principle especially for things like vehicles etc etc etc. So I'd modify it to fit siege rules.

I'll probably look at several different sources for specs on vehicles and get them to fit the existing rules before I try to become to fiddly with them.
For me, I've played d6 for the majority of SciFi games , so my default would be to take it out of d6 rules, do a quick retool for siege, and run with that. Or, maybe, go over the Star Siege ship rules and morph them into SW Victorious. With that, I doubt I'll be much help to you on this area . Anything I'd suggest you will have probably considered.

However, if you do want to look at the SW d6 rules, I have the latest cleaned up and compiled rules - SW D6 REUP - if you want them. I may have given them to you last year when we started talking SW SS, to long ago for me to remember for sure.
Rigon wrote:
Lurker wrote: Ok I'm taped out on knowledge now ...
Man, I expected better. ;)

R-
Well, in my defense, this week had 3 different vets claiming maltreatment against the VA that I had to go in front of a Review Officer on ... and all 3 were completely groundless ... "The VA Messed up my back" ...Ok how so ... "They stopped giving my special shoes and a knee brace" ... Ok, that could mess your back up . ... Wait, you don't have any leg, knee, or foot service connected disability. You are on a service member's pension with no VA disabilities ... "I know, but my back is messed up now, and it is the VA's fault" ... But, Sir, (I was thinking a lot of other words than sir at this point) the VA does not have to give you any medical treatment at all on a pension ... "I know, but they stopped giving me my shoes they had been giving me, and now my back is hurt" ....

The other 2 were as bad or worse that that !

What is worse, all three came form 1 of the field reps and he had blown smoke up there ... well you know .. and he convinced them they had a chance, and didn't tell them no to a groundless claim when he talked to them.

Ok vent session over ...

For Force users, I think using the light saber as a gadget package will be the way to go for some things. And then like DM say it allows someone to pick up one and use it, even be effective with it as a weapon, but not be able to do the cool Jedi things with it.

For force powers, I do want to keep the list simple and allow for out of the box thinking / use ... but I don't know. Jedi can move blindingly fast (for short bursts) jump up 30+ ft / drop 60 + feet without getting hurt, etc etc etc. Would a power for enhance attribute be needed or am I missing something, for jump / drop would TK work ...

I know a lot of that will be based off your interpretation ( along with the player playing the Jedi) but the last SW D6 game I was in the GM and all the players always had a limited view of force powers and their uses. I may need to force myself out of that habit I got from playing with them ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker, I think battle suit and gadgets will be one way for non-Force users to acquire the Supernatural Powers that are off limits to them. So, while a PC could not start out as a full on Boba Fett character, they could get there eventually using those methods. The same with a Jedi/Sith.

As for vehicles, Mike's suggestions for the TIE Fighter showed me that the rules could support vehicle builds without adding anything. I'd only need to look at another source for the vehicle in question to see what the vehicle was about.

I also thought about including the SnP of Lightning Speed to the list of available Force Powers. For the Force Jump/Fall, the character could use Psycho-kinesis for that.

I may try to put together some characters from the the movies as I envision them using the rules this week. Just gotta find the time.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Still percolating on this.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rigon wrote:Still percolating on this.

R-
Don't forget to turn it off before you go to sleep.

Otherwise, you might wake up to a nasty sitcheation in your kitchen . . Darth Maul on yer ass when you walk in to brew coffee/Star Wars/Vic
tomorrow mornin'

May the Force be you!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rhuvein wrote:
Rigon wrote:Still percolating on this.

R-
Don't forget to turn it off before you go to sleep.

Otherwise, you might wake up to a nasty sitcheation in your kitchen . . Darth Maul on yer ass when you walk in to brew coffee/Star Wars/Vic
tomorrow mornin'

May the Force be you!

:)
:shock: :lol:

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Yeah, I hate it when I do that....go to bed...and wake up with a Sith Lord drinking my coffee!

...or is that just me? ;)

Mike

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rigon wrote:I may try to put together some characters from the the movies as I envision them using the rules this week. Just gotta find the time.

R-
I'm should be able to find some time now that school is back in. I'm still hopeful that I can get some iconic SW characters up soon.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Can't wait! ;)

Mike

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:
Rigon wrote:I may try to put together some characters from the the movies as I envision them using the rules this week. Just gotta find the time.

R-
I'm should be able to find some time now that school is back in. I'm still hopeful that I can get some iconic SW characters up soon.

R-

I wish I could say I was getting close to having more time ... we have another new girl - and unlike the previous new girl, she seems to be motivated and able to pick up the job without months and months of hand holding - However, even with the added bodies in the office, I can't keep ahead of all the angry vets, prepping for hearing, sad pitiful widows, off the wall calls, and did I mention crazy angry vets ...

That said, I look forward to your take on some of the character, and if I'm lucky after you get some out, I may be able to try my hand at a couple using yours as a base line to work from

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ok, back around to these ideas

After working on characters for Tree's game, and it getting closer and closer to the new Star Wars movie, I picked up the rule book and tried my hand at some starting characters.

I do think it is a good fit, better than Star siege - with the work we would have had to do ...

I know with out your specific house rules I'm making assumptions, but I hope I'm in the right ball park.

One thing I'm noticing is that even for starting characters they seem a bit weaker (or under-skilled) than I expected. I know it will depend on exactly how "space opera" you want the game, but for what I'd aim for (based on starting d6 character) the characters I've came up with don't fit heroic star wars. I do admit that d6 breaks the skills down more that Victorious, so where in d6 you needed 4 skills, with multiple points dropped into them, to be a good pilot in victorious you only need 1 (well 1 skill plus a prime or 2 in different attributes and a knack or 2)

Looking at Luke (start of SW IV - without force powers) or a generic bush pilot - you need profession pilot, mechanical - repairing the ship, blaster, (driving the hover car - it may be a common skill so that is iffy) survival desert, ship weapons (could fall into blaster or under pilot) target , primes in at least 2 attributes maybe 3, and a good knack & luck would help. On top of that are the one or 2 skills needed to round out the character or make them more unique. A moderate or weak int roll at start &/or the short falls needed to get the skills primes and knacks will ham string the character.

A smuggler is worse - profession pilot, profession smuggler, roguery, blaster, etiquette - crass, martial arts or melee, mechanical - repairs to the ship, primes in at least 3 attributes, knacks ...

I didn't even try my hand at a jedi ... to get the 4 or 6 points needed for a power bundle of Jedi powers ... unless you roll good attributes all around, and have a GREAT Cha ... ack

Take it with a grain of salt though, I could be jacking it up ...

Also, I understand not wanting great characters at level 1, and needing a team to have a chance at success, so I wasn't looking for a superman on what I came up with.

If when you make some trial characters and you do agree that RAW they are weak I'm not sure on the best fix ...

Maybe ....

give 2 or 3 primes at start with each having a bonus skill

Double int bonus for starting number of skills

each short coming get you 2 points to buy with instead of one

or each buy point traded in for prime / skill is worth 4 points instead of 2

any of them, or a mix and match of them could help a starting character out, but not be too powerful.

C&C Society