Aergraith's Sunday C&C: "Heroes and Scoundrels of Xylh"

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Aergraith's Sunday C&C: "Heroes and Scoundrels of Xylh"

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith, thanks for setting up the char sheets in Roll20. They are almost done so I'll be ready for next session.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

We are not gaming tonight, is that correct? Or are we still playing ot by ear?

Between our intended switch to every other week and today being Father's Day, I assume that tonight is not a gaming night...
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Also, Happy Father's Day to Rhuvein and Aergraith!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I'm playing in Nate's game tonight.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

OK, that's what I thought.

Have a great night, gang!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Also, Happy Father's Day to Rhuvein and Aergraith!
Thanks!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:We are not gaming tonight, is that correct? Or are we still playing ot by ear?

Between our intended switch to every other week and today being Father's Day, I assume that tonight is not a gaming night...
I think I forgot how we left it when we discussed how we would do the two games. I didn't realize that if you guys alternate, then we don't game every week.

That said, I would like to game every week - even if Aergraith can't play - if you guys wish to do so.

I could finish running the B1 game tonight if youse want.

So, Penny if yer up for gaming tonight - lemmeno!

:P

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Oh no! I made other plans assuming we weren't going to play. So sorry. But I'll keep the time slot open next time.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Oh no! I made other plans assuming we weren't going to play. So sorry. But I'll keep the time slot open next time.
No problemo at all.

Actually, it's so hot in my compy room that I have to stay out of here until much later when it cools off.

And for next time, only keep the slot open if you're up for gaming. Praps every week might be too much and that's OK by me for the summer.

But if you do want to game, then mebbe we three can try different games or have one off sessions.

See ya next week!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Ah, sorry, Rhuvein. Yeah, I'm open to doing whatever you guys are, as per usual. I will watch this space for updates.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Ah, sorry, Rhuvein. Yeah, I'm open to doing whatever you guys are, as per usual. I will watch this space for updates.
No worries. It all worked out as I said, twas way too hot in my compy room that evening. Anyway, we can chat about what we might want to do in this time slot if you're up for gaming.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Game on today.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Cool!

It's my birthday, so I'll bring some Shiner Bock (as Aergraith mentioned, not fabulous or anything - but mebbe a decent bock lite for summer quaffing), French Rose and then we can do flaming shots!!

[I'm cooking up some cranberry chicken pilaf for dinner]

See ya soon!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Guys, I'll be along in about 10 minutes.

It's so hot in my compy room that I'm going to use my wife's laptop downstairs.

Thanks,

Rhu. :)

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:Cool!

It's my birthday, so I'll bring some Shiner Bock (as Aergraith mentioned, not fabulous or anything - but mebbe a decent bock lite for summer quaffing), French Rose and then we can do flaming shots!!

[I'm cooking up some cranberry chicken pilaf for dinner]

See ya soon!

Happy Birthday!!!!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Your running XP total, 230, is in the XP handout on Roll 20.
The Unlikely Company: Lissett, Omad, Triss and Gryll, Zumbido

This sessions starts 2 weeks after the last, on 15 Hekatombaion. The solstice festival came and went, and Triss took the time to wander outside the city walls to train his osprey Gryll, who now understands Come, Defend, and Attack.
Zumbido took advantage of her affiliation with the temple of the Raven Lord to learn "Minor Dark Chaos". Zumbido also performed at local taverns, but did not make very much money, just a flat rate of 1 gp per day, for 13 gold pieces.
During this period, Omad mostly kicked back and enjoyed Zumbido's hospitality, knowing soon he'd be back to sleeping in the sand.

The adventurers all went to the Temple of Law to collect their reward, and were subjected to the inefficient bureaucracy of Xylh. After getting their reward of 50gp each, they then paid for an adventuring license and filled out the 23/B form to register their adventuring company, the "Unlikely Company". In so doing they decided if they were going to add another warrior to the group best to do it now and not have to refile, so they enlisted Lissett, a Paladin of Tius, a god of Law.

Returning to Ghizzard to inquire about what Kella and Abazza were trying to accomplish (see last session), they learn that they have been healed and are being held for questioning, but have volunteered very little information. Zumbido formulates a plan to disguise herself and get thrown in jail with Kella. Kella sees through her disguise and the plan falls apart. She then enters the cell with Abazza disguised as a guard, and Omad as a prisoner, who calls himself "Ahmed".
Omad succeeds in gaining Abazza's trust, and in the morning, both are released as "they have nothing solid to hold them on" but Kella "has several outstanding warrants".

They split up on the outside, after arranging to meet at the tannery that night. The link boy network is paid to keep watch on where Abazza goes. He ends up visiting a dead drop to get some money and gear and then gets lodging at a safe house.

On the appointed night the party organizes an ambush with two city guards, and Omad meets Abazza at the tannery, where he learns the secret wave of Abazza's group, and is told to meet them in the desert two nights from now. After Abazza leaves, he is chased by the guards on the party's signal, and Gryll the osprey attacks his face and eyes and he is apprehended.

The party decides to go back to Zumbido's, keep watch all night, and in the morning meet with Ghizzard to find out what the next steps are in their job and arrange further compensation.

Another good session. Something I like about the free-form games is once again I really had no idea what would happen tonight.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I thiiiiiiiiiink I have my mic issues worked out. Cortana is listening to me, anyway....

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great game the other night.

Well done players and CK!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I can run tonight if Nate doesn't run a game. Still no definitive word as of 3pm cst.

Or up for whatever.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Looks like Nate's running, so happy gaming to y'all.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Cool thanks !

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Wondering if Aergraith might be up for running his game . . . if not, I can run my in between game tonight.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

I ought not speak for him maybe but he hasn't been well. It might be easier for him to join a game ...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:I ought not speak for him maybe but he hasn't been well. It might be easier for him to join a game ...
K, thanks!

I'll run my game.

Tell him, he can use his other char from B1 or roll up a new . . or he can use an NPC if he wants!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Players of my campaign:

What would you like to do next?

You don't need to reply here, but let me know in a PM if you have something in particular you'd like to pursue next session.

Xylh is nominally a sandbox, or a hexcrawl, but I'm not a purist about that sort of thing. Things you can probably expect:

1. The hexcrawl is always there when you are in doubt. There will be some placed ruins, cities, and wonders you can run across while exploring the 6 mile hexes, and you'll spend some time managing resources and the environment around you.
2. There are a few commercial modules placed in parts of the map. You can run across them by accident, or you can ask me about them and we'll get you there. Once you start one, you can abandon it whenever your characters are able: nothing breaks (though there may still be consequences!)
3. There are a few planned dungeons. These will usually tie into the overall Xylh story. Like the modules, they can be abandoned, and the world will adjust. But there is no campaign to "break".
4. You can pursue your character's goals, if any exist. Some DMs require a backstory of some kind, but then run a bunch of planned adventures and none of the stuff you hoped would happen ever does. But if you want to slay every white dragon in Xylh, while it's a quixotic task, you can totally try to do it if you can get your party to go along with it. And even if they don't, we can do it during off sessions.
5. Xylh doesn't care about you unless you make yourself important to it. So everything in the world of Nuna keeps happening all of the time, and that is part of why there is a calendar and I tell you what day it is. You can let events fade into the background or you can throw yourself into the gears as is your wish. As you learn about various factions in Xylh and what they want, you can align yourself with them or try to thwart them.
6. There are lairs, caverns, and small dungeons, often as part of a random wilderness encounter; if you see a bear, it probably lives somewhere, and you can follow it home if you dare and see what its last few meals left behind for you. These are going to be fairly random things, and if they are dungeons, they won't be endless complexes like the planned dungeons. Just in and out.
7. I can do large random dungeons too; I'll just use stuff like Dyson's Delves or donjon.bin.sh. Just let me know if that's what you are looking for.
8. Random exploration is dangerous! You will certainly encounter all levels of monsters and individuals. Fortunately, not everything is a non-stop juggernaut, killing everything in its path. You can bribe, bargain, beg, or run much of the time. Or just give it a shot; the worst that happens is you die.
9. Building a reputation gives you options by making people either want to give you things to do or hunt you down and kill you.
10. You can be good or neutral or evil, and unless you are a paladin, the world probably doesn't care. If you are evil, someone's always eviller.

For next session:
Do you want to go back to the Temple of Law and see if they have a follow up job?
Do you want to follow up on rumors you've heard from people like Bilal the Toothless at the Bull's Horn?
Do you want to just open up more of the map by walking around? Playing it "safe" walking to Bygnorum on the Gwynfing Way or meandering through the desert to see if there really are scorpiodiles?
Do you want to consult with your churches or guilds and see what they have going on?

Think about it and talk amongst yourselves, and if it's a tall order, let me know so I can make it fun (or tell you it's too much work, which is possible short term).

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great choices offered . . . thanks!

I'm of the opinion that perhaps a short trip out into the desert to see if we can find/explore a small dungeon/burial chamber/crypt underneath a temple/pyramid/giant sphinx.

But, otherwise I'm fine with anything else that you guys might wish to do.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Zumbido just got home. I think she would like to do some kind of 'urban' adventure if possible. Intrigue, spying or the liberation of valuables for the right sort of person ... that kind of thing. Learning more about the mysterious magicians and their towers interests me. I'd like her to learn more about the library system too and make some friends there. She also owes a visit to the Raven Lord temple to make an offering and see if there are any jobs she needs to do for them. I can do these things as side adventures if everyone else would rather go delving.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Game on?

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Yes. same time same place (roll20) =) See you there hopefully

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Yes. same time same place (roll20) =) See you there hopefully
Cool! I'll get my char sheets to review and login in shortly!

8-)