(Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Treebore
Mogrl

(Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Post by Treebore »

Pay attention, I have a lot of resources I plan on linking here to help give you guys the background "flavor" to help you get the proper feel for playing a character in this time frame. One of the first links will be to my G Drive where I have hundreds of photo's the US government took of a wide variety of people and locations throughout the Old West from the 1880's into about 1920.

I'd just like you to look through whatever I post to help you get the right "mind set" for playing a character living in such times and conditions.

Here you should be able to see all the pictures I mentioned:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

"Bird's Eye View" of Helena, Montana, in 1883:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4254h.pm004560/

Montana Territory, 1879:
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4250.cws00190/

Dave Rumsey Map Collection, starting with Montana. His maps are really something to look at.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4254h.pm004560

Map of the MAIN RR lines in 1880. May give you an idea of how you ended up in Montana.
http://etc.usf.edu/maps/pages/2800/2832/2832.htm

An AWESOME Free resource from 1881 that answers thousands of questions about daily life in 1881, from agriculture to medicine to candles and a whole lot more... Approximately 800 page PDF.

https://archive.org/details/Household_Cyclopedia

I have created a "Players Folder" in my Google Drive, as usual, your free to look and read all you want, but do not DL copies of my PDF's. I will have to PM the link to all of you, as I do not want to make it public so just anyone can look. Actually, check our SKYPE group chat.

CAMPAIGN STARTING LOCATION: Three Creeks, Montana. It is in the SW part, where the Horse Prairie Creek, Red Butte/Rock Creek, and Beaver Head Creek converge, and is crossed by the RR. Primary business is watering train engines coming through on the train line. However with all the creeks, etc.. hunting, fishing, and herding are very possible. Growing season is very short.

Buying of skills can be very confusing, so read carefully, and be prepared to find out you still did it wrong. Here are the two big things. When you are buying skills, you have to look at each skills write up. If it has more than one attribute associated with it you are limited by the one with which you have the lowest score.

The next big thing to look at is if a skill is "universal" or not. Universal skills, when you buy the FIRST Mastery die, allow you to add your relevant attribute to your skill score TWICE, not once. Only the first time you buy a Mastery die. You will never add your attribute score to this ever again.

The next thing to watch, and is probably the most confusing, is when you buy a skill, you have to pay at least 1 BP for it. This is important because of learning modifiers. So if your buying a skill where INT is one of the relevant skills (attributes with learning modifiers only have to be related to the skill, not be the one that is actually used, so if INT is one of the ones listed as related, you still use the learning modifier, even if you went with STR, because it was your lowest) and INT gives you, say, a modifier of 5, and the skill BP cost is 1. You have to buy enough tallies to get the cost to be 1 or more after deducting the learning modifier. BP costs are CUMULATIVE, so 1 BP the first tally, 2 BP the second, and 3 BP the third. So when you buy 3 tally's the BP cost is a total of 6 (1+2+3=6), subtract 5 and you get a final cost of 1. So you HAVE to buy 3 tallies in this skill. If you had a learning modifier of 6 you would have to buy 4 tally's, and pay an initial BP cost of 4 for doing so. (1+2+3+4-6=4).

After this your cumulative BP cost to buy more dice to roll will always exceed your learning modifier. This modifier reflects natural aptitude for learning such skills.

Another thing that often confuses players. 3 of the attributes, INT, WIS and CHA give you bonus BP at character creation. These BP must be spent at character creation and ONLY on skills that have the attribute giving those bonus BP relevant to it. So if your using bonus BP from a high CHA, you can only spend those BP on a skill that has CHA listed for it.

Another thing confusing about skills, is everything is deducted from 100. So the better you are, the closer to 01 your skill score is.

For the skill score, once we get its initial calculation done, we flip it. From then on we work our way UP from 01 towards 100. Also makes it easy for opposed skill checks. So from then on when you buy more skill dice you ADD your roll to this score, rather than subtract yo get it closer to 01. Plus when you roll your skill check you roll to get under your number, not between 54 and 100. So its just much less confusing to flip it as soon as you get your initial score figured.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: (Aces and Eights RPG) The Montana Campaign.

Post by Treebore »

I am pretty sure I have the most recent .xls character generator in my G Drive, which is what I gave links to last night, but to be as sure as possible to have the best version, here is its location on the Kenzer boards.

http://www.kenzerco.com/forums/showthre ... rsion-2-04

Edit: Shot Clock tutorial video:

https://sites.google.com/site/killbegga ... /shotclock
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

I'll be working on my character throughout the week and should have him posted (placeholder here).

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
...The next big thing to look at is if a skill is "universal" or not. Universal skills, when you buy the FIRST Mastery die, allow you to add your relevant attribute to your skill score TWICE, not once. Only the first time you buy a Mastery die. You will never add your attribute score to this ever again.

After this your cumulative BP cost to buy more dice to roll will always exceed your learning modifier. This modifier reflects natural aptitude for learning such skills.

Welllllllll, that is one thing I messed up on . I'll have to go through and refigure my scores and some of my skills may not need multi buys like I paid for.

However, I did do the wisdom & int portion correctly, and yes it is amazing how important high wis &/or int is!

Quick question for starting equipment/money. If I have bronc busting, and my background has at least 1 year being a cowboy, can I get a horse? If not there is no way my $48 will get me close to having anything a cowboy needs. ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

placeholder

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:[

Quick question for starting equipment/money. If I have bronc busting, and my background has at least 1 year being a cowboy, can I get a horse? If not there is no way my $48 will get me close to having anything a cowboy needs. ...
You have to have the cash to buy everything you start with. If you can't pay for it, you never earned it.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Update Oct 20 2016

Thomas Shelby
Impoverished Cowpoke & Drifter

Str 12 / 07
Int 14 / 84
Wis 15 / 21
Dex 16 / 98
Con 15 / 80
Lks 10 / 48
Cha 12 / 76

Reputation 15.16
Fame 1

HP – 27

speed -2
To Hit +3
accuracy +4

Weapons:
Winchester 63 Carb 32 calb (100 rounds)
Draw speed 0
damage
Range adjustment 5’+8. 10-15’+4, 20-25’+3, 30’+2, 40+’+1, 70’+0, 90’-1, 120’-2, 150’-3, 200’-4

Colt SSA .45 - 4 ¾ barrel (50 rounds)
Draw speed 0
Damage d6+1
RA 5’+8. 10 +4 15’+2, 20 +0 25’-1, 30’-2, 40’-3, 50’ -4,

Rem 12G double barrel (105 rounds)
Draw speed 6
Damage d4 per pel
RA 5’+8. 10 +4 15’+4, 20 +3 25’+3, 30’ +2, 40’+1, 50’ 0, 70’-1, 90’-2, 120’-3, 150’-4

5'11 185lbs
19 Years old
Arkansas Horse Rancher / Prosperous Homestead

Thumb nail description:

Young and good natured , a honest hard worker from a horse ranch in Arkansas, and with a family history of being a rural sheriff. He tends to be cautious and a bit more careful in his actions, but when needed he is brutally hard and unafraid of whatever he is facing.

Despite ill luck and a few bad turns from the wheel of fate, he tends to be pleasantly resigned to life as it is. His biggest weakness is his inexperience and deep roots of chivalry. Twice, it has landed him in trouble, once is the reason he had to leave his home in Arkansas – and it earned him the scar on his face that despite being over a year old he is still very self-conscious about. The other has left him stranded in 3 Creeks without horse or friend – he has decided he misses the horse more than his friend that left him there. however, it runs too deep

Learning modifier – Int 3, Wis 4 , Cha 1

Skills:- tallies - mastery
Admin – 0 - 88
Agriculture – 0 – 85
Animal Husbandry – 4 - 42
Animal Herding – 4 – 44
Animal mimic – 0 – 85
Art – 0 – 85
Boat – 0 – 85
Bronc Busting – 2 – 20 (2 exploding dice!!!)
Camo – 1 – 63
Carpentry – 0 - 86
Cartography – 3 - 48
Climbing – 0 – 88
Cook – 3 – 42
Current affairs – 0 – 85
Deception – 0 – 88
Demolition – 0 – 86
Diplomacy – 0 – 88
Disguise – 0 – 88
Distraction – 2 – 49 (1 exploding dice)
Drive Wagon – 2 – 32 *** got to love a d20 for Mastery dice
Escape – 0 – 86
Fast talk – 0 – 88
Fire building – 4 – 34 (2 exploding dice)
Fish – 0 – 85
Forgery – 0 – 86
Gaming – 0 – 86
Glean Info – 0 – 88
Grace intro/exit – 0 – 88
Hiding – 1 – 62 (1 exploding dice)
Hunt – 1 – 61 (1 exploding dice)
Idle Gossip – 0 – 88
Interrogate – 0 – 88
Intimidate – 0 – 88
Joke – 0 – 88
Juggling – 0 – 84
Listening – 0 – 85
Lock Pick – 0 – 86
Mimic – 0 – 88
Observe – 2 – 56
Oration – 0 – 88
Pick Pocket – 0 – 84
Prospecting – 0 – 85
Read Lips – 0 – 86
Recruit – 0 – 88
Religion – 0 – 86
Resist Persuasion – 0 – 85
Read – 1 - 68
Ride – 2 – 35 (1 exploding dice)
Rope use – 1 – 64
Salesman – 0 – 88
Search – 0 – 85
Seduction – 0 – 90 (good luck getting a kiss after the dance)
Skin / Tan – 0 – 88
Slaughter – 0 – 88
Slight of hand – 0 – 85
Sneak – 1 – 65
Survival – 1 – 69
Swim – 1 – 76
Track – 1 – 68
Wx sense – 1 – 65

Quirks / Flaws
Doppelganger , Chivalrous, Facial Scar
*** Does not know he has an outlaw that looks like him ***

Talent

Blind-shooting - suffers only half penalties (rounded down) for shooting in poor lighting conditions. Furthermore, the character retains the capability to use skills that would normally be lost in darkness

Courage - never forced to flee a gunfight due to wounds regardless of the character’s
Deadly Shot - All wounds caused by this character increase by one in Severity Level

Fast Healer - wound point heals, except the final point, one day faster than normal. The final point heals in just 12 hours instead of one day

Improved Arc - no Accuracy penalty for firing in Arc B, a –1 Accuracy penalty for firing in Arc C, and a –3 Accuracy penalty for firing in Arc D.

Weapons:
Winchester 63 Carb 32 calb (100 rounds)
Draw speed 0
Range adjustment 5’+8. 10-15’+4, 20-25’+3, 30’+2, 40+’+1, 70’+0, 90’-1, 120’-2, 150’-3, 200’-4

knife

Equipment
Rough field cloths & cowboy hat
Well cared for old leather boots & spurs
Well cared for but old used saddle
Oilskin duster
Bed roll
Mess kit
Canteen
Flint & steel
Lariat

History: (rough Notes now, I'll flesh it out more as I can later)

Born a 'Son of the Gun' and child of the Civil war when the town cannon was fired with the announcement of the attack that started the war.

From NW Arkansas 3 day ride from Little Rock

Father died in war along with 2 older brothers. Mother died when he was 4, after the birth of his younger sister, but was raised by his grandfather until he died when Tom was 12. Raised by kindly Christian widows soon after when his uncle gambled away the family holdings / horse ranch (*** Cousin close to the same age of Tom, so he could be the doppelganger ***)

Grandfather was acting sheriff with all the adult/teen men went to war, taught him to hunt (including coon hunting at night so got good at seeing and shooting in the dark) learned to ride and break horses and care for them on the ranch. But went to school and was 'fair' student

Tom was planning on going to college after 18 to be a surveyor and map maker

However, guys from Missouri came to a county fair / dance. 2 of them tried to rape a class mate of Tom's and they plus 6 other beat up her brother.

Tom lead classmates to cut them off before they crossed state lines and hold them until the sheriff could arrive. It turned into a fight (how he got his facial scar) and half the guys with Tom ran, but he killed the 2 that tried to rape the girl (shot gun, in the dark, with lots of chaos, so doesn't count as a true gun fight)

Left the area - judge would have acquitted him but there would have been a feud across the state/national line between the Leach's and Dubin's from Missouri and the town Tom was from if he stayed.

Went to Indian territory then Texas. Signed on as a cowboy and drove a heard into Nebraska.
A friend found out his fiancee moved into Montana, so asked Tom to ride with him up there to meet her.

Got to 3 Creeks Montana, the friend found out his fiancee had turned back to Chicago, so he took Tom's horses as spares and left in the middle of the night last night.

Tom is now stuck there with no horse

*** Back up character ***

Glenn Oar Conway - Glenn Tom’s son

Mountain Man Trapper
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

HP is 20+1d4 plus CON modifier.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I added in a couple of map links. Note, since these are real world maps, they are subject to change when the Alternate History of Aces and Eights is applied.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have found it useful to list ALL Universal skills, even if you don't put BP's into them.

As for character "concepts", I suggest you roll up you history before you really start to settle on a character idea and spend BP's on skills and talents. You probably should determine Quirks and Flaws before you really decide on anything as well.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Tree, as a history guy, I love the picts and maps!

Crud on listing ALL the universial skills .... I'll try to add them when I have a chance

Rgr on rolling up flaws first ... I rolled up another character, and it was almost unplayable, esp as I was thinking of him ... It was so bad I had to scrap it completely and start up on what became Glen

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, my daughter went into creating a a character and came out blind. She still played it, and she/we had a lot of fun with it, but initially it seemed like the character would be a total bust. She just ended up playing a character that was radically different than what she went into the process thinking she would play.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

So, is this replacing the Traveller game on Mondays?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:So, is this replacing the Traveller game on Mondays?

R-

Yes. I need to get you a couple of links. That, or I can give you a couple of NPC write ups to pick a character from. I have a few hundred of those.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ok, newbie question ....

How do you get better at shooting ... I know how to improve skills etc, but not shooting?

Is it only by getting better talents that improve you, or something else? Or, is it something that is only 'you have what you have. Plan accordingly!'

Also, let me know which of the 2 characters I hung that fits your story plan . I'll refocus on which ever you (or the party after looking at their characters) says to use and make sure all is good to go on him.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have created a "Players Folder" in my Google Drive, as usual, your free to look and read all you want, but do not DL copies of my PDF's. I will have to PM the link to all of you, as I do not want to make it public so just anyone can look. Actually, check our SKYPE group chat.

There are two PDF's in there that you may find useful. They are a crap ton of full NPC write ups, officially done by Kenzer. If your too intimidated to create a character from scratch your first time out, which is completely understandable to me, you can read through these and select one to play. One is the Judas Crossing NPC's, the other is called Rustlers and Townsfolk. Just tell me the name and which PDF it is in, and I should be able to upload the sheet to Roll 20 as at least a hand out, if not straight into a character file.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:

R-

Yes. I need to get you a couple of links. That, or I can give you a couple of NPC write ups to pick a character from. I have a few hundred of those.
Just shoot me some write ups and I'll pick one.

cwm4073 at yahoo dot com

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

R-
For creating the character, assuming you never have done one in A&8, the first one was a bear for me ... However, once you have done one, it is actually fairly easy.

Like Tree pointed out above, it actually is better to get you quirks/flaws right after you roll your attributes. Then go through and pick your skills (hint here, a HIGH Wis & Int - Cha too if you are going for a gambler or grafter type - is critical! The free BPs for those skills and learning cost reduction is a huge factor in how many skills you can afford to pick.

After skills, then your talents. In my first character I had a huge BP flaw (I'm sure it will bite me in the ass later) so I had plenty of points to get some good talents. My second (well 3rd character, my second had flaws that I couldn't have played with) character had less flaw points, but the high wis and mid int helped in the skills area so I still had points to get fair talents.

For starting equipment ... no matter what, you won't have enough money ... No matter what I tried I was to poor to get what I'd like, so .... penny pinch (just like real life) and hope we find horses, good guns, etc early in the campaign !

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:

R-

Just shoot me some write ups and I'll pick one.

cwm4073 at yahoo dot com

R-
It would be easiest if you just grab the link I now have in our SKYPE chat, and read the PDF's that way. The Judas Crossing NPC's PDF and the Rustlers and Townsfolk PDF.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Ok, newbie question ....

How do you get better at shooting ... I know how to improve skills etc, but not shooting?

Is it only by getting better talents that improve you, or something else? Or, is it something that is only 'you have what you have. Plan accordingly!'

Also, let me know which of the 2 characters I hung that fits your story plan . I'll refocus on which ever you (or the party after looking at their characters) says to use and make sure all is good to go on him.
You can improve shooting. It does pretty much max out at some point, but it isn't easy to get that good. One way is you can improve your attributes in game, which is why those percentile rolls for each attribute matters. Another is Talents, as you already have seen.

That, however, will also be dependent on how "into" this game you all want to get. So we will have to discuss this.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Another rookie question: How do you calculate Talent points? Do they get taken from the same 75 BP you use for Skills?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

The way I read it was yes, talent points are the BPs from the 75 points plus the points from your quirks/flaws minus the points you spend on skills.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:The way I read it was yes, talent points are the BPs from the 75 points plus the points from your quirks/flaws minus the points you spend on skills.
Yep, everything is paid for with BP's. 75+whatever you get from Quirks and Flaws, of which you can RANDOMLY roll for a max of 4.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Character Name
Christopher D. Clemmons

BPs: 32
Nationality: CSA
Residence: Virginia
Race: Caucasian
Profession: farmer
Religion: Christian (Baptist)
Handedness: right
Sex: male
Height: 70"
Weight: 179 lbs.
Hair Color: brown
Eye Color: blue

Abilities
Str 12.58 Dmg Mod: +1, Lift: 220 lbs., Carry: 61 lbs., Drag: 550 lbs.
Int 15.03 Acc. Mod: 2, Skill Learning Mod: 4
Wis 15.03 Speed Mod: 0, Skill Learning Mod: 4
Dex 16.02 Speed Mod: -2, Accuracy & "To-hit" mod: 3
Con 13.03 Hit Point Mod: 2
Lks 12.13 Mod to Cha: 0, Starting Rep Mod: 1, Starting Fame Mod: 1
Cha 12.12 Skill Learning Mod: 1, Starting Rep Mod: 1

Rep: 42
Fame: 28
Base Speed: -2
Base Accuracy: 5
Hit Points: 25

Talents
Guardian Angel

Quirks & Flaws
Flannel Mouth
Scratcher
Cheapskate
Far-Sighted

Skills (all scores have been reversed, i.e. high is good)
Agriculture 61
Animal Empathy 66
Animal Herding: Cattle 61
Animal Husbandry: Cattle 75
Animal Husbandry: Chickens 55
Animal Husbandry: Horses 86
Animal Husbandry: Pigs 74
Animal Lore 69
Animal Training 35
Appraisal: Animals 57
Boating 66
Bronc Busting 54
Fishing 81
Hiding 30
History: Confederate 56
Hunting 45
Machine Op. and Repair 56
Observation 22
Reading Comp./Penmanship 66
Religion 35
Resist Persuasion 68
Riding 58
Rope Use 60
Searching 47
Slaughter 43
Social Etiquette 15
Survival 27
Swimming 29

Money
$939.74

Gear & Loot
bag, traveling (16 in. leather)
barber's razor
belt, leather
bible
boots, riding leather
canteen
cap, hunting
cowboy hat (high crown)
duster (oilskin slicker)
fish hooks (box of 100)
fishing flies (one dozen)
fishing line (100 ft. cotton)
fishing reel (80 yd.)
fishing rod, bamboo
flint & steel
gloves, buckskin
handkercheif, plain linen x2
knife, bowie
knife, hunter
knife, pocket (two blades)
mess kit
note book (3 in. x 4.5 in., with pencil)
overalls x2
pants x2
scarf, common
shirt, plain x2
soap (one bar)
toothbrush
underwear x2
vest, men's leather
wallet, leather

Weapon #1
Winchester 1863 .44 caliber
70 cartridges

Weapon #2
S&W Russian
100 cartridges

Weapon #3
Richmond Armory Musket
100 cartridges

Personal Goals
pay off debt of $400 to bank

Family History
Circumstances of Birth: legitimate
Birth Date: Feb. 7 18__
Birth Order: 5th
Mother: living
Father: living
Notes on Siblings:
brother #1: died from Typhoid fever
brother #2: living
brother #3: living
sister #1: living
sister #2: living
sister #3: living
sister #4: died from accidental causes
Upbringing: ill-equipped
Place of Origin: Virginia
Social Class: upper lower class
Background: lost farm
Profession: farmer
Reason you went West: looking to start a farm

----------------------------

BP expenditures
Guardian Angel (30 BPs)
+75% to Int (15 BPs)
+148% to Wis (32 BPs)
+40% to Dex (8 BPs)
+25% to Con (5 BPs)
3 tallies on Agriculture (2 BPs) spent 2 Wis bonus BPs
3 tallies on Animal Empathy (9 BPs) spent 1 Cha bonus BP
3 tallies on Animal Herding (2 BPs) spent 2 Wis bonus BPs
3 tallies on Animal Husbandry: Horses (2 BPs) spent 2 Wis bonus BPs
3 tallies on Animal Husbandry: Cattle (2 BPs) spent 2 Wis bonus BPs
3 tallies on Animal Husbandry: Chickens (2 BPs) spent 2 Wis bonus BPs
3 tallies on Animal Husbandry: Pigs (2 BPs)
4 tallies on Animal Lore (8 BPs) spent 8 Int bonus BPs
2 tallies on Animal Training (22 BPs)
3 tallies on Appraisal: Animals (2 BPs)
3 tallies on Bronc Busting (9 BPs)
3 tallies on Riding (7 BPs)
2 tallies on Reading Comp./Penmanship (4 BPs) spent 2 Int bonus BPs
3 tallies on History: Confederate (2 BPs)
2 tallies on Hunting (7 BPs)
1 tally on Social Etiquette (3 BPs)
1 tally on Survival (13 BPs)
2 tallies on Religion (1 BP)
3 tallies on Slaughter (2 BPs)
1 tally on Swimming (1 BP)
2 tallies on Rope Use (6 BPs)
3 tallies on Resist Persuasion (2 BPs)
2 tallies on Searching (7 BPs)
2 tallies on Hiding (2 BPs)
1 tally on Observation (2 BPs)
3 tallies on Fishing (2 BP)
$50 starting cash (10 BP)
Total Cost: 229 BPs (75 starting + 95 quirks & flaws + 30 reputation + 21 bonus BPs [+10 Int, +10 Wis, +1 Cha])
-------------
Post PC generation:
4 tallies on Machine Op. and Repair (8 BPs)

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Enapay (Roars bravely in the face of danger) - Updated 4/24/17

Str 14 / 05 +2 damage; lift 235, carry 77, drag 588
Int 15 / 75 +10 BP, +4 skill modifier, +2 accuracy
Wis 14 / 58 +6 BP, + 3 skill modifier, - 1 speed modifier
Dex 15 / 87 + 2 accuracy,, -1 speed modifier
Con 13 / 15 + 2 hit points
Lks 13 / 55 +1 CHA, + 2 Reputation, +2 Fame
Cha 13 / 88 + 3 BP, +2 skill modifier, + 2 Reputation, 6 companions

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 177 lbs
Lakota Indian Bandito
Western South Dakota

Speed: -2
To Hit: +3
Accuracy: +4

Fame: 49

HP: 23

Skills:
Animal Empathy - 49 Average 2 BP 1 tally
Animal Herding - 39 Advanced 6 BP 3 tallies
Animal Husbandry (horse) - 85 Novice 6 BP 3 tallies
Animal Lore - 31 Advanced 6 BP 3 tallies
Animal Training - 50 Average 10 BP 1 tally
Camouflage - 42 Advanced 24 BP 4 tallies
Deception - 38 Advanced 8 BP 2 tallies
Distraction - 36 Advanced 1 BP 1 tally
Gambling - 98 Novice 7 BP 1 tally
Hiding - 13 Expert 8 BP 2 tallies
Hunting - 64 Average 5 BP 1 tally
Intimidation - 34 Advanced 2 BP 1 tally
Language - 76 Novice 5 BP 1 tally
Observe - 71 Average 3 BP 1 tally
Ride - 68 Average 6 BP 2 tallies
Rope use - 64 Average 2 BP 1 tally
Searching - 76 Novice 10 BP 2 tallies
Sneak - 45 Advanced 8 BP 1 tally
Survival - 17 Expert 14 BP 2 tallies
Swim - 70 Average 1 BP 1 tally
Track - 90 Novice 9 BP 1 tally
Weather Sense - 18 Expert 6 BP 2 tallies
Total 224 BP - 75 base, 65 quirks, 19 abilities, 35 reputation

Quirks / Flaws
Touchy individual, Ambivalent, Clean Freak

Talents:
Courage 10 BP
Fast Healer 10 BP
Dodge 25 BP

Weapons:
1866 Winchester - .45 rifle (2d6 damage, +4 count speed draw modifier, 10 reload speed per round)
4 boxes of 50 rounds each
Remington 1875 (7 1/2" barrel) - .44 6 shooter (d5+1 damage, +1 count speed draw modifier, 10 reload speed per round)
1 box of 100 rounds
Knife (Hunting/Fighting)

Equipment:
Flask
Bedroll
Flint and Steel
Canteen
Matches (100)
Quick Draw Holster
Gloves
Belt
Men's Pants
Underwear
Cowboy hat
Plain Shirt
Duster
Leather boots
Mess kit
Used saddle (w/stirrups)
Used saddle bags (2)
Rope
Mustang
Bandages
Alcohol (2 bottles)

Cash on hand: $ 134.60

Background:
Born as the second boy of Tacanipiluta (Red Tomahawk) and Chumani (Dew drops), Enapay came into
the world wide eyed and roaring, seeming unafraid. Raised in the Lakota tribe, as he grew he established
himself among his peers as a good athlete, fighter, and hunter, but with a very touchy personality.
However, his quirky need to always have things clean, and non-commital attitude made him somewhat of an outcast.
He was disowned by the tribe when he was caught stealing in order to gamble with some white traders that
had passed through the territory. Not surprisingly, he fell in with a gang of rough men up to no good. While willing to steal
in order to gamble and make ends meet, Enapay refused to kill women and children during raids, which caused
friction with the gang's leaders. He eventually snuck away in the dead of night, sure he would be killed by the suspicious
outlaws. He is homeless, aimless, and nearly broke.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm going to play Jacob Allan Powers from the A&8 Rustlers and Townfolk book. Page 172 if anyone wants to take a look. I've upgraded my revolver to the Colt SAA .45 cal 7 1/2 inch barrel.

R-

Updated 4/24/17

Jacob Allen Powers

Sex: Male
Hght: 5’ 9”
Wght: 189 lbs
Eyes: Hazel
Hair: Black
Handedness: Right Handed
Race: Black
Religion: Pentecostal
Origins: Dallas, Republic of Texas

Str 16.63 (DM: +3; Lift: 318; Cry: 118; Drg 95)
Int 15.14 (SLM: 4; AccM 2)
Wis 12.46 (SLM: 1; SpdM: 1)
Dex 15.22 (Acc/To Hit: 2; SpdM: -1)
Con 13.25 (HPM: 2)
Lks 8.42 (RepM: -2; FameM: -2; ChaM: -1)
Cha 13.80 (SLM: 2; RepM: 2; Max# Comps: 6)

Fame: 85 (Minor Celeb - +1 to all die rolls, +1/10 BP gained, 1 free reroll/session)
BPs: 2 (31 Spent)

Number of Gunfights: 11
Hit Points: 26
Speed: -1
Accuracy: 7

Skills (Ticks/Mastery) – roll under
Agriculture (2/71%) – 29
Glean Information (4/32%) – 68
Interrogation (3/43%) – 57
Intimidate (3/68%) - 32
Language: Spanish (1/81%) – 19
Listening (4/33%) – 67
Mathematics (1/81%) – 19
Observation (2/69%) – 31
Reading Comp/Pen. (2/65%) – 35
Riding (2/54%) – 46
Sneaking (1/65%) – 35
Tracking (4/22%) – 78

Talents
Damage Bonus (+1 to all dmg)
Dead Eye (Any target over 30 feet away is treated as 1 ranger increment closer)
Veteran Gunfighter (?)

Quirks
Hardcase (hard & feelingless)
Lynch Lawman (over developed sense of Justice)

Flaws
Epileptic (d10: 6 or lower seizure; d12 for hour & d4 for am/pm; d6-1 for mins & d10-1 for seconds; d12 for severity)

Firearms
Colt SAA (7.5 inch barrel; Revolver; .45 cal Cartridge; 6 shoots; Draw Spd Mod: +1; Reload Spd: 10; Dmg: 1d6+1; Range Increments: 5’/+8, 10’/+4, 15’/+2, 20’/0, 25’/-1, 30’/-2, 40’/-3, 50’/-4, 70’/-6, 90’/-8. 120’/-12, 150’/-16, 200’/-24, 250’/-32, 300’/-40, 350’/-50)
Sharps Long Range (34 inch barrel; Rifle; .45 cal Cartridge; 1 shoot; Draw Spd Mod: +8; Reload Spd: 25; Dmg: 2d8; Range Increments: 5’/+8, 10-15’/+4, 20-25’/+3, 30’/+2, 40-50’/+1, 70-90’/0, 120’/-1, 150’/-2, 200’/-3, 250’/-4, 300’/-5, 350’/-6, 400’/-7, 450’/-8, 500’/-9, 600’/-10, 700’/-12, 800’/-14, 900’/-16, 1000’/-18, 1250’/-20, 1500’/-25)

Combat Mods
Speed: -1
Accuracy: 7
+1 to all damage
Any target over 30 feet away is treated as 1 ranger increment closer
+6 Aiming
+2 Steady
+2 Prone

Items
300 rounds of .45 cal cartridges
Fancy rig/holster
Pocket knife
Silver Ring
Gold Nugget ($25)
Clothes (Shirt, vest, pants, boots, cowboy hat)
Oilskin Slicker
Oilskin Tarp (10’ x 10’)
Canteen
Mess Kit
Field Glasses
Hunting Knife
Rifle Scabbard
Rope (8 yds)
Hatchet
Flint & steel
Trail Rations (3 days)
Used Saddle (w/stirrups)
Saddle Blanket
Used Saddle bags
Leather Brindle (6 ft)
Mustang Horse
Pack Mule

Cash on Hand: $115.28

Thumbnail Description
Jacob Powers was never a slave, only a paid servant of a Texas Ranger captain and his family. The ranger saw potential in Jacob and taught him the ins and outs of shooting and tracking. When his mentor was killed (shot in the back, actually), Jacob set out looking for the killers and brought them in, filled with lead.
Since then he’s been tracking wanted men all over the country, and he doesn’t often bring them back alive. He prefers to specialize in murderers.

Notes:
-I brought in Dolly, Daniel, and Wes alive and Frank dead. Collected bounties and split with my posse.
-Going with the Professor to check on Indians.
-Brought in some outlaws with the Professor.
-Open Bounty: Bundy Bunch (4 brothers) Worth: $250 per alive or $100 per dead
--Good guys in Canada
--Bad guys in the Territory
--Raid multiple locals (both Indian and White)
--Can live off the land
--I have Wanted Posters w/photo pictures
-+20 for interactions w/Buffalo Soldiers at Fort Belknap
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My recollection of tonights events. Feel free to correct or fill in any missing details. Also recall, you can earn 1 BP per 11 full sentences written for a"Character journal", max 5 BP per session played and written about.

Tonight went well. Had to spend a bit of time clearing up character creation questions. Understandable, the rules are hard to grasp the first time or two around creating Advanced characters. I opened it up with a Shooting Contest, sponsored by the local RR. A expected characters won the Top 5 spots, so won between $10 to $50. Which a couple of them immediately used to buy better handguns or an additional gun. Smart move.
They then went to the Saloon and shared "Winners Drinks" with each other, and got to talking. Fortunately none of them got a racist flaw, so didn't have to get all upset about a Lakota Indian winning the Grand Prize, or a black man winning 4th. Which also meant they could talk about working together, so they did. They talked about helping the black man, John Powers, who is a Bounty Hunter, to bring in $400 worth of bounties he came to the area in search of.

A couple of them mentioned being Bronc Busters and Horse trainers, so they talked about how to find and bring in wild horses to sell.

Some long term ideas were also brought up, but shelved until they made enough money to make those ideas even possible.

The game end time arrived without a final plan or agreement being reached, so our game forum will have to be used during the upcoming week for us to know what plan of action they are going to work on next session.

A good start. I think everyone got a good feel for just how many things you can do in an Old West game. They really liked the Shot Clock too, which I expected since I love it. Its really throwing them for a loop that I am not giving them a mission to start on, like happens in D&D games. I think they are finding it refreshing that they have to decide what they are going to do based upon their skills, and the risks they are willing to take. The only thing I forced upon them is, they are in Three Creeks, and this is what the town is like, this is what you know is going on (I had handouts for them telling about an auction and prospecting in the Black Hills, genuine flyers from the time).

I also gave them the 4 page handout that all Montana Pioneer Immigrants needed to fill out, especially if they ever want to do legal business in the territory. Also an authentic document for the time and territory. Which kind of blew their minds, because they never knew such paperwork was required. I pointed out to them that today the state Drivers License performs much the same function in every state, when you move there.

Anyways, a good start, I think the players are really waking up to the possibilities and see how fun and exciting it will be. I think I also did a good job of getting them the right feel for the time, between the period pictures and document I showed or gave them. So I think we are all going to have a lot of fun exploring life in the Old West in the Montana Territory.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

What I want to know is how some one with the same bonus as my character, using the same techniques as he was, got 4 bulls eyes and a hit, but I only got 1 hit/bulls eye ..... Oh yeah, the same reason in the last game that I hit twice in the first combat, and then missed every shot the rest of the night .... stupid roll 20 !!!! :lol:

That said, to my new Injun friend, GREAT SHOOTING.

Now, just no one focus too much on my scar .... I hate to have to brawl with my new friends and then make them buy me another beer as an apology !

**** Tree been thinking, I think that scar will be more of a role playing element than I first thought. I know if it happened to me when I was 18, I would in turn be shy about it around ladies, and prickly about it around guys (that I didn't know). I know I don't have the hot head quirk, but if pushed comes to shove and someone keeps focusing on it, it may lead to a fist fight ****

Oh yeah, Tree, I was relooking at skills .... I may have jacked something up ...

Can you show exactly how skill buying with a high learning benefit works?

For me say with my wisdom of 15 (learning bonus of 4) and animal herding (skill cost of 1). How does that work out?

I know on something like camouflage (cost of 6) it reduced the cost for initial buy down to 2. However, I may have messed up on those skills where they are less than the learning bonus ...

Sorry about messing it up ...

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:What I want to know is how some one with the same bonus as my character, using the same techniques as he was, got 4 bulls eyes and a hit, but I only got 1 hit/bulls eye ..... Oh yeah, the same reason in the last game that I hit twice in the first combat, and then missed every shot the rest of the night .... stupid roll 20 !!!! :lol:

That said, to my new Injun friend, GREAT SHOOTING.

Now, just no one focus too much on my scar .... I hate to have to brawl with my new friends and then make them buy me another beer as an apology !

**** Tree been thinking, I think that scar will be more of a role playing element than I first thought. I know if it happened to me when I was 18, I would in turn be shy about it around ladies, and prickly about it around guys (that I didn't know). I know I don't have the hot head quirk, but if pushed comes to shove and someone keeps focusing on it, it may lead to a fist fight ****

Oh yeah, Tree, I was relooking at skills .... I may have jacked something up ...

Can you show exactly how skill buying with a high learning benefit works?

For me say with my wisdom of 15 (learning bonus of 4) and animal herding (skill cost of 1). How does that work out?

I know on something like camouflage (cost of 6) it reduced the cost for initial buy down to 2. However, I may have messed up on those skills where they are less than the learning bonus ...

Sorry about messing it up ...
OK, so you have a skill learning modifier of 4. For skills lower than 5, this means you will have to buy the skill multiple times, because you MUST always spend at least 1 BP to acquire a skill. So to calculate, recall that each buy increases the cost of the next buy by 1 BP. So 1 BP the first time, 2 BP the second time, 3 BP the third time, and so on. So for you to buy any additional skill that Wisdom applies to, it must be one of the listed relevant attributes for the skill your buying, and cost you at least 1 BP. So in this example, you have to buy Animal Herding 3 times. Cost is 1+2+3=6. So for you, you subtract the 4, so 3 buys will have a final cost of 2 for you, and meet the 1 BP cost minimum required. Determine your Dice Mastery rolls, remember a max roll "explodes", so reroll, and each time it explodes, roll again.

Don't worry about messing this up, it took a good bit of reading, re reading and some questions on the Kenzer forums for me to get this all straightened out in my head. I know its confusing. Even with the example given in the book, I still felt unsure, so had to ask for them to clarify/confirm.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sooooo I did jack it up. I thought the min of 1 point spent means that for those that were less than one with the learning bonus still cost 1, or you could buy extra tics in it at one point a buy until you got above your learning bonus.

That said, I'll rework the skill mastery numbers asap. The good news is that I will be better in some of my skills, and it will force me to rework everything any way, so I'll stop dragging my feet and add all the universal skills at 0 tics like you suggested.

Now if I could just improve my roll 20 rolls .....

Oh by the way, again, great background info and maps.

As a history guy I love it. However, I'll admit that until recently, this era was one of my least favorite to study (more referring to world / international history than American. I am an Okle farm boy soooo love cowboy and west expansion history. Heck my family history is part of it being real "Boomer Sooners" and family ties to Arkansas and Missouri after the Civil War). But, right after I retired, I started studying the reasons behind WWI which lead back to the history we are covering in the game, so I really love it.

C&C Society