What are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What are you reading?

Post by slimykuotoan »

The Hobbit
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

scp wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Started reading Empire of Imagination, the Gygax biography. So far it's a really interesting read. The novel-like tone is a bit off-putting at first, but the author sounds like he really did his research.
I'm reading it now and so far, so good!

:)
Yeah, I really liked this, I burned through it in just a couple of sittings. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know the background of the game and the man behind it. Oddly, it got me eager to re-read some R.E.H. because of the "What would Conan do?" bits.
Just finished this one. It was a nice, easy read. It definitely filled in some blanks on EGG's history.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

maximus wrote:
scp wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:
Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Started reading Empire of Imagination, the Gygax biography. So far it's a really interesting read. The novel-like tone is a bit off-putting at first, but the author sounds like he really did his research.
I'm reading it now and so far, so good!

Yeah, I really liked this, I burned through it in just a couple of sittings. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know the background of the game and the man behind it. Oddly, it got me eager to re-read some R.E.H. because of the "What would Conan do?" bits.
Just finished this one. It was a nice, easy read. It definitely filled in some blanks on EGG's history.
Good to know and thanks for the reminder that I need to pick up the book again to finish. Been busy lately, but have the day off tomorrow - so relax and read says me to me!

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

The Eyes of the Dragon.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Foundation Stones Of Scientific Archaeology, by Bernard de Montfaucon, but only the first volume.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Cool serleran; I actually read quite a bit o' Anthropology. Love the stuff.

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

I just started getting into the Richard Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell. Great stuff!

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

The Dark Tide by Dennis L. McKiernan.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:How is it? I've only read Doyle's Holmes tales.
maximus wrote:The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle.
It turned out to be a lot of backstory and not much action. It was ok, but a little slow. There is a historical account out there that I'm going to get. The 100 years War is after the time period I prefer, but the story of this mercenary company is intriguing. It might add something to my current campaign as well.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Bummer. His Holmes' work was pretty tightly written.

Currently reading The Warded Man. Been meaning to read it for a while. Definitely digging the world building.
maximus wrote: It turned out to be a lot of backstory and not much action. It was ok, but a little slow. There is a historical account out there that I'm going to get. The 100 years War is after the time period I prefer, but the story of this mercenary company is intriguing. It might add something to my current campaign as well.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I plan on jumping into the HackMaster bundle of books I acquired from the Bundle of Holding. That will further put off my pile of books to read, but gaming reading will almost always trump other reading.

It's my character flaw. :D
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

RunningLaser wrote:I just started getting into the Richard Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell. Great stuff!
I'm a sucker for these too. Classic literature no, but good rousing adventure stories yes! Also the BBC show staring Sean Bean as Sharpe are great fun as well.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Random stuff from here.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Tons of Fan Fiction cross-overs.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

Having finished Sharpe's Fortress, I am now about halfway through Sharpe's Trafalgar. These books are awesome.

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

Now finished with Sharpe's Trafalgar. More Sharpe's books are on the way. Slowly moving through a biography of William Tecumseh Sherman- Citizen Sherman, and thanks to Slimy, the Silver Call duology came in today! Brings back memories of summer school.... will start that one very soon.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Re-reading parts of The Annotated Brothers Grimm edited by Maria Tatar!

Excellente!!!! :P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

dachda wrote:
RunningLaser wrote:I just started getting into the Richard Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell. Great stuff!
I'm a sucker for these too. Classic literature no, but good rousing adventure stories yes! Also the BBC show staring Sean Bean as Sharpe are great fun as well.
I enjoyed Cromwell's Grail Quest Series comprised of The Archer's Tale, Vagabond, and Heretic.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Wolfram von Eschenbach's Parzival

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

dachda wrote:
I've seen one of those- Sharpe's Gold, and thought it was great:) Going to see about watching the others.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Today I finally read At Moonset Blackcat Comes, a Gord the Rogue short story in Dragon #100 by Gary.

Very excellent story and interesting how he tied it in to his article on Dragonchess. Makes me wanna try and build the 3 level chess board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonchess

Anyway, the story is set after Saga of Old City which I enjoyed immensely and now I'm going to start reading Artifact of Evil.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Rhuvein wrote:Today I finally read At Moonset Blackcat Comes, a Gord the Rogue short story in Dragon #100 by Gary.

Very excellent story and interesting how he tied it in to his article on Dragonchess. Makes me wanna try and build the 3 level chess board.

Anyway, the story is set after Saga of Old City which I enjoyed immensely and now I'm going to start reading Artifact of Evil.

Gord fast became one of my favorite "heroes" of fantasy. I read Books 1 & 2 back in the 1980s when they were printed. I acquired the rest of the series several years ago, as well as the TLG-(Chenault-Gray, actually)-produced version of Saga of Old City. I know I have a mountain of books in my "to-read" pile, but the Gord books always hit my "D&D-in-a-book" sweet spot.

(grumbling about how Gary's IP is vaporware deleted)

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Brak the Barbarian again! (John Jakes)

But also, starting to read Song of Ice and Fire. This Eddard Stark is a strong hero, and I see good things in his future.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Just started Thieves World: First Blood

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Zudrak wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Today I finally read At Moonset Blackcat Comes, a Gord the Rogue short story in Dragon #100 by Gary.

Gord fast became one of my favorite "heroes" of fantasy. I read Books 1 & 2 back in the 1980s when they were printed. I acquired the rest of the series several years ago, as well as the TLG-(Chenault-Gray, actually)-produced version of Saga of Old City. I know I have a mountain of books in my "to-read" pile, but the Gord books always hit my "D&D-in-a-book" sweet spot.

Rhu, I too have just started Artifact of Evil. Saga of Old City is a great read, especially for us Greyhawk enthusiasts, it really brings out the setting like nothing else.

Zudrak, I wasn't aware that the Trolls printed the Gord books :!:

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote:
Rhu, I too have just started Artifact of Evil. Saga of Old City is a great read, especially for us Greyhawk enthusiasts, it really brings out the setting like nothing else.
For sure! :)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Kayolan wrote:
Just the first book. It was a special print hardback and Gary signed it at the LGGC IV. I was sitting with him as he was doing this - chatting about various things. I thought to buy the book, but had already spent all my cash, so I thought I would buy online when I had some free money.

Never happened 'cause a load of the books sold at the CON and then online before I could get a copy. I think they were priced at $30.

Anyway, Zu has a great collector's item!!

:P

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Random stuff from here.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Kayolan wrote:
Zudrak wrote:

It wasn't long before the rights to Gary Gygax's works were taken away from Troll Lord Games. IIRC, I received one of the test/advance prints, as Steve C. & Peter B. were talking about the book here -- so I asked if I could get a couple for Christmas presents. I got a copy for myself, as well. It's a real shame because it's neat seeing it in mini-hardback form.

-- E. Gary Gygax

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

In preparation for my Aces and Eights game I have been reading through a number of books, such as the Time Life series, Mystic Warriors of the Western Plains and Encyclopedia of the American West. I'm obviously not reading every word, just the parts that look like they may be relevant to a game set in the Montana territory in 1880. I've also been looking up a number of things on line, mostly maps.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.