Gringnr's Sunday Night Spacejacking

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Gringnr
Ulthal

Gringnr's Sunday Night Spacejacking

Post by Gringnr »

This is a thread for the upcoming (as in, a ways off yet) Sunday night game of Classic Traveller run by Gringnr. The game will occupy the space formerly occupied by Rhuvein's Sunday night C&C game, and currently occupied by Aergraith's C&C game.

I chose CT because a) I have a sci-fi jones at the moment, and b) because iirc it's a fairly simple system (it's been a very long time).

Let's have a look at our players shall we?

Penny-Whistle as:
Dr. Zibâ Zanbureasal, retired surgeon. 38 years old.
5B5BC6

Medical 4
Computer 2
Electronics 1

Retirement benefits: mid-passage, EDU, 90,000 credits. Annual pension 4,000 credits.

Still working on the equipment list but here's what I have so far ...

Medical Kit
Electronic Kit
Hand Computer
Cloth Armour
Submachine gun
Body Pistol
Boot Dagger
Aergraith as:
Aergraith wrote:Here's mine

Cmdr. Pender Ironmonger (RET.)
Navy 756BC5 Age 42.
6 Terms CR 40,000 + 6000 pension.
Computer-1, Carbine-1, Vacc Suit-2, Pilot-1, Jack-of-Trades-1, Forward Observer-1, Ship's Boat-2
High Psg, Low Psg, Traveller's Aid, Carbine
Rhuvein as:
Rhuvein wrote:Mstislav Alexei Kuryakin

Elf from Russia with Love.

Scout 97AA68 age=38

5 terms

CRs 100,000 pension 4,000

Vacc Suit-2, Pilot-1, Jack-of-Trades-1, electronics-2, vehicle-3, navigation-1, gunnery-1
low psg

[Weapons, armor and equipment forthcoming]
And SDon78 as:
NAME: Randall Davis Jameson
UPP: 8BBA56

Service: Marines
Terms: 2

Skills:
Cutlass-1
Blade Combat-1
Gun Combat-2
Revlolver-1
Electronics-1

Cash: 32,000
Interesting group. I have an adventure (and possibly a shortish campaign if you like) in mind. But I'd actually like to know what kind of adventure you all would like to play. CT has a wealth of adventures to choose from.

Do your characters already know each other? Or do we need to meet each other?

None of these questions need to be answered right away. I am, however, going to take a minute to explain what type of universe this game will take place in.

I will be using the official CT setting: the Third Imperium in the early 1100's (by the Imperial calendar).

In the Traveller universe (as I understand it), faster than light travel has been achieved. Communication, however is limited to the speed of travel. It can take almost a year for information to travel from one end of charted space to the other. So, while the Imperium rules space, the planets rule themselves. The rule of law and the level of technology can vary wildly from system to system, or even planet to planet. Traveller allows for both high and low tech adventures, or even both at once. Energy weapons exist, but are extraordinarily expensive and difficult for the average spacefarer to obtain. A good analogy would be a citizen of today's world trying to buy a rocket launcher.

It is also my intent to run this game with a classic Traveller feel. That is to say, the far future as seen through the lens of the late 70's/early 80's. As in the movie Alien, you will see CRT monitors in use on board starships. Shotguns will be far more common than laser guns. Yet it will still be possible to travel faster than light to distant star systems and engage in trade with their alien inhabitants.

By now, you know that you can die during chargen in CT, but the fun doesn't end there! Starships are expensive, and you can end up making payments on a 40-year note as you trek around the galaxy trying to make ends meet.

With all of that having been said, lemme know (whenever you feel like it) who your characters are, how they have arrived at this point in time (and space), and what type of adventure they seek...... this will help me decide where to send them first.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Re: Gringnr's Sunday Night Spacejacking

Post by Gringnr »

Here is a resource for general (and specific) Traveller info. There are many, many more.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Fantabulous!!!!

Lots to read and I'm enjoying it!!!

I look forward to playing in this game!

Thanks, Gringnr!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Yeah! Looks great. A kind of gritty world like the one in Aliens is appealing.

We are all close in age. It is possible we already know each other -- either as colleagues at work or perhaps we all went to the same school. Maybe we are all members of a secret society!

Zibâ's aspiration is to be a planetary ecologist. Her exploration goal is to do scientific surveys of flora and fauna. Hopefully she might even find valuable specimens to sell to collectors to allow her work to continue. She might be persuaded to do odd espionage jobs if she likes the person hiring or the cause. Her character is based a bit on people like Robert Fortune and Jean-Louis Berlandier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Fortune
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Louis_Berlandier

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Got a pair of AKO Dice as an early Birthday present. Perfect for this game. Not too sure about the balance, but with styling like this, I almost don't care!

Also, this is a great example of a Traveller-like setting/feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYc2GQyrAlw

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

I read the plot summary on WIkipedia and wow, yeah, pretty much a perfect Traveller adventure.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Wish I could play! LOVE Traveller!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Cool dice.

Outland is a great movie. Peter Boyle was awesome and Sean is always excellent. The doctor was very good as well!

8-)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I thought this was interesting . . Understanding Traveller PDF:

http://www.farfuture.net/Understanding%20Traveller.pdf

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Suddenly thinking of Deep Purple's . . Space Truckin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOrpFeXUao

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Way I figure it, we have about 2- 1/2 weeks until my game. I am nervous as heck. It'll be alright. I really gotta buckle down though, haha.

I have settled on a somewhat obscure but well regarded adventure:

Disappearance on Aramat

"The x-boat message from a group of archaeologists on Aramat is long overdue. The planet is seemingly peaceful and uninhabited. What could have happened? A worried father has now hired you to find out what happened to his daughter. Can you solve the mystery of the disappearance on Aramat?"

The adventure hook dovetails nicely with the character rolled by Penny, giving our merry band a reason to be involved. It's also kind of rare (but not impossible to find), so I can be pretty sure that no one here has read it - or can. It also appears to be fairly easy to run (I'm aiming at a good experience for all concerned). It is geared towards mercenary characters (as outlined in Book 4: Mercenary), but the skillsets you all have are close enough, and I can tinker with it as necessary. It requires a minimum of 4 characters, and a maximum of 6. So, Some or all of you are free to play more than one character, or I will add an NPC to your party to make 4. All the same to me, so lemme know.

I just bought this well used (and extensively written in) adventure today, from Half Price Books. Been eyeing it for a few weeks now.They wanted 15 bucks, but in light of the damage (pages were all there, but some were not attached to the book) and markings (which were actually kind of cool, because you could see that this had been played), they took $7.50. I hate to be THAT guy, but this thing, while usable, is NOT in good shape.

That having been said, it's useable, and use it we will...

ttyl kids.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

I always get nervous before I run a game so I can guess where you are coming from. Luckily, you couldn't get better players than Aergrraith and Rhuvein. They always look for ways to help push the story forward and both know how to add in enough roleplaying to keep it from just being a 'I hit; you hit' snoozer. If you get unsure about anything they won't get mad, they'll try to help solve the issue politely and patiently. So if it helps ease the anxiety, try to remember you are among friends who want to see the game succeed as much as you do.

I am really looking forward to it. (And oh wow trip down memory lane with Space Trucking. hahaha. Haven't heard that in what feels like a million years)

I haven't decided if I want to roll up an extra character yet. For now I'll wait and see what the others say first. I wonder if anyone from Aergraith's game will join in to fill the slot ...

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Cool, thanks for the reassurances! As for possibly running more than 1 character, y'all just go with whatever you think would be the most fun for you, and I can adjust the adventure as needed.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lookin' forward to the game! :D

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

My copy of the new Traveller novel "Agent of the Imperium" came with another Patent of Nobility, now I am a Count on Giranima. Marc Miller says so!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Aergraith wrote:My copy of the new Traveller novel "Agent of the Imperium" came with another Patent of Nobility, now I am a Count on Giranima. Marc Miller says so!

You buy the paper copy or Kindle?

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:Lookin' forward to the game! :D
Me too!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Gringnr wrote:
Aergraith wrote:My copy of the new Traveller novel "Agent of the Imperium" came with another Patent of Nobility, now I am a Count on Giranima. Marc Miller says so!

You buy the paper copy or Kindle?
Paper+PDF

The book is inscribed: "To Gabriel -- May your scout-courier always bring you home! --Marc Miller". But I told him to write that :).

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Where did you buy that? All I see on FFE/Amazon is the Kindle version.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Kickstarter.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Ah..... darn.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

You might have already said (and if so sorry for not paying attention) but will this be on Roll20 or something else?

Can't wait.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Yeah, Roll20. The game is up, it's called "Brave the Void." Just over a week to go!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I actually have no idea how you can find a roll20 game knowing only the name. I think you need to PM us the link.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I will invite y'all tonight. There is no Trav character sheet. I'm sure you can make your own... Aergraith I will hit you up about some Roll20 stuff. It's pretty intuitive, but there are a few things that have me scratching my head.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Gringnr wrote:I will invite y'all tonight. There is no Trav character sheet. I'm sure you can make your own... Aergraith I will hit you up about some Roll20 stuff. It's pretty intuitive, but there are a few things that have me scratching my head.
Yeah, they only have it for Mongoose Traveller.
Sure, I'll help however I can.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Just PMed you all the link, here AND on Roll20. Lemme know if you can see the map, because you're not supposed to!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Aergraith wrote:
Gringnr wrote:I will invite y'all tonight. There is no Trav character sheet. I'm sure you can make your own... Aergraith I will hit you up about some Roll20 stuff. It's pretty intuitive, but there are a few things that have me scratching my head.
Yeah, they only have it for Mongoose Traveller.
Sure, I'll help however I can.
MongTrav should be similar enough to be of use. I added the sheet, lemme know if you can access it.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Thanks again for the link.

The map is not visible.

I can't access a character sheet. There are a couple of places where you might need to do your gm magic. 1. When you add the character names in the section called the Journal the choices are invisible to us unless you change the default. (I assume they do it this way so you don't accidentally show info about the bad guys.) If you click on a name listed then a window will open. At the top of that window there is a tab called 'show to players' that needs to be selected if you wish us to see the information. 2. Next to that 'Show to Players' button is an 'Edit' button. If you click that button you will see under the Name box two more boxes: 'in player's journals' and also 'can be edited and controlled by' These boxes allow you to decide the character's visibility and control.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Thanks, I'll try that!