I'm really proud of my wife today...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

I'm really proud of my wife today...

Post by Treebore »

As some of you know, because I game with you, and we BS about life, the universe, etc... my wife is a writer, and even self published via Kindle almost a year ago. So this weekend she finally took the "leap" and we went to a "Writers Convention" here in Phoenix, AZ.

Out of the 7 series she has written (one of which she has up to 6 books) 4 of them have been asked for by all 4 PUBLISHERS she met with yesterday and today, AND she has picked up an editor.

Now this doesn't mean she is under contract, yet. But the fact that they asked for her FULL books, all 4 different Publishers, has us pretty excited, because chances are looking really good that she could be under contract to any, or dare I say it? All 4 publishers for each of her series.

She still can't believe the interest has been so strong, but I have been telling her for years she writes better than most out there. Now I have solid proof I haven't just been saying it to be a good husband and make her feel good. :) Others, in the industry, liked what they saw enough to ask for the full books to read.

Anyways, needless to say, she, and I, are having a very positive experience here, and have us very hopeful for her future as a writer...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: I'm really proud of my wife today...

Post by Go0gleplex »

Excellent news Tree. It is certainly not an easy market to get into. Best of luck!
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

That's great, Tree.

Well done to your wife!

I hope you don't mind me saying that you are a great guy, but she is more wonderful than you are! :lol:

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

:lol:

I can't argue with that!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

That's great to hear... I wish her all the best!

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

I disagree with Rhuv. You are both equally blessed in creative abilities. One as a GM. One as a writer. Both seek to entertain the audience and both have succeeded! Congrats to you both as a team. I hope to see Alicia's work in print and your work in running my tournament games! :D

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Awesome news.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

What super news! Congratulations!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Well done. Congratulations!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

She says "Thank you!" with a big smile on her face!

Yeah, the reason I/we are so hopeful is no one else got asked for (that we know of) full books, nor took the 3 chapter print outs like my wife offered, and I don't know of anyone else given special codes (literally) to put on her submission so they DON'T get automatically thrown in the circular files. Plus a guy named Eric, who represents over 20 New York times best sellers gave her his card after talking with her/us, socially, and told her if they couldn't find time to talk officially, to contact him with the info on his card. Well, they never had time to fit her in for a formal interview/pitch, so now she has to see how that plays out via e-mails.

We do know of a few people to submit samples of the books they want to do, but none of them were offered special codes, nor were they asked for the full book, or books, but that may simply be because, unlike my wife, they didn't have them written already.

So yeah, we feel very positive something good is going to come out of this trip. Plus this week, she gets another shot at other publishers, reps, and editors at the convention here in Vegas this week. If she gets equally as strong responses here, well, we are going to be a new level of excited.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Great news !!!!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Treebore,

Sounds great, I wish you and your wife the best throughout the publishing process.

JLL

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

Congratulations to your wife!
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Publication is a dangerous business full of couch stabbing and editorial rants. Enjoy it while it lasts.

joneshoward
Mist Elf

Post by joneshoward »

Good luck to her! Be sure to check on Predators and Editors about any firms, and to look over any contract with extreme care, preferably running it past a lawyer!
"Who dies first?"
--Conan, "The Phoenix on the Sword"

http://www.howardandrewjones.com

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Congrats!
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan