Treebore's Mass Combat Dominance

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
joneshoward
Mist Elf

Treebore's Mass Combat Dominance

Post by joneshoward »

Hello all -- I've been CKing C&C off and on for several years but I don't think I've ever posted.

As I ready to restart our campaign (after a Savage Worlds of Solomon Kane hiatus) I've been searching through threads here on the forum and discovered an older one about improving Fighters. I quite like Treebore's Mass Combat Dominance rule, as well as Arduin's modification of it, and Rigon's take on the Fighter as well.

(The old thread is here: http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... =8&t=15748)

Treebore states that he wanted to emulate the feel of Conan wading into a field of enemies and cutting them down and I'm way on board with that. I found myself wondering, though, if you just gave Mass Combat Dominance to your Fighters, or if you also gave it to your Barbarians? And if you gave it to Barbarians, wouldn't you then have to give it to other melee fighting classes like Paladin and Ranger? In which case the option no longer becomes as special to the Fighter...

I just find myself scratching my head and going around in circles. If the house rule's intended to help a player run a character like Conan or Fafhrd or any of the old time sword-and-sorcery guys I grew up reading, then Mass Combat Dominance sounds great -- but how do you apply the rule to the class Conan's player would have chosen, or to others?
"Who dies first?"
--Conan, "The Phoenix on the Sword"

http://www.howardandrewjones.com

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Treebore's Mass Combat Dominance

Post by Rigon »

Tree only gives it to fighters. Barbarians get whirlwind attack at level 4 (I think).

Having played in Tree's games for the last 8-9 years and having many discussions about the rules with him, I know his intent isn't so much to mimic a particular literary character as it is to bring the fighter more in line with wizards in the amount of damage they can do in a round. IE. A 3rd level wizard can cast fireball for 5d6 damage to all enemies in a 20 foot diameter sphere. A 3rd level fighter can do his weapon/specialization damage to everyone he can reach. Making him a small, but effective area effect dealer. That it does mimic a literary character is just a bonus.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

joneshoward
Mist Elf

Post by joneshoward »

Ah! Thanks, for the swift reply, Rigon.

I really like this house rule, and the extra fix to give Barbarians their due as well. Treebore, if you're reading, my hat is doffed.

I'm always trying to find a way for my games to feel more like the books I've read and loved. That's why I use a modified Mana system from the CK Guide, so we don't have to use the default Vancian system. But this is wonderful for Fighters.
"Who dies first?"

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

No problem, JH. And the whirlwind attack is a standard feature for the barbarian in C&C(if you have a 4th print or newer PHB). It's not a feat from 3.x/Pathfinder.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

joneshoward
Mist Elf

Post by joneshoward »

...yeah, I just remembered that, double-checked it, and tried to edit my post before anyone noticed my idiocy. Ah well! ;)

Even though I traded my old PHB away I guess the rules in it are still the default in the 'ol noodle.
"Who dies first?"

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

joneshoward wrote:...yeah, I just remembered that, double-checked it, and tried to edit my post before anyone noticed my idiocy. Ah well! ;)

Even though I traded my old PHB away I guess the rules in it are still the default in the 'ol noodle.
Again, not a biggie. I just wanted to clarify it for you in case you were still using an older printing. Some people still do.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I only do something to achieve one result when that is all I can get out of it!

Yeah, my Combat Dominance puts Fighters on par with the other classes. Far more than not having it does. Plus it does indeed help create the feel of Conan cutting through his enemies, regardless of their HD/Lvl.

Plus, I'd like to point out, my Combat Dominance emulates a rule from way back in the original 3 LBB's. So its as "Old School" as you can get.

Plus, it isn't "overpowered". To do it, the Fighter has to put themselves in the middle of the Fight. They have to have at least 3 opponents they can engage in melee. Opponents who will be attacking the Fighter back, likely having flanking bonus' and the like. So typically, the Fighter takes quit the beating when they do this.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

What is/are original 3 LBBs?
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

An acronym for Little Brown Books from the original printings of Dungeons & Dragons in the 70s.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Thanks, that was before my time, I started in either 79 or 80 and the MM, PH and I think DMG were out by then.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I can't wait for the next Domesday, assuming Tree puts it in there, we should have a nice "alternate" or TRACK Fighter, can't wait to hear what folks think about that guy (gal).

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Captain K,

What do you mean by "TRACK Fighter"?

JLL

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

Its my best combination of the following folks thoughts on the pure fighter class: Treebore, Rigon, Arduin, and me Captain K.. I think folks will like what they see.. if nothing else its a nice starting point for each person's house rules AND it puts all those folks ideas in one nice neat package.

If you want to see it sooner, please submit stuff to Tree, the sooner he has material, the sooner these beauties roll out to all of us! (Yet another shameless pitch for more submission ;} )