Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by clavis123 »

ssfsx17 wrote: I'd go as far as to say that much of modern horror got its origins in real stories and common urban myths from the Victorian era. The twisted insane asylum. The serial killer who sends mysterious messages to the police. Mysterious deaths as a result of disturbing "cursed" things. And so on...
Definitely all those things were in the public consciousness during the 19th century, as the Horror genre was emerging from the Gothic Romance.

The horrors of the asylum have been a theme in my own Ghastly Affair Saga, since the True Innocent character had been locked in a madhouse. She escaped when the place (which had been a convent before the French Revolution) was attacked by Royalist insurgents (who were then besieged by the Gendarmes). The attack occurred on "visitor's day" - when the inmates would be brought to the common hall so that paying locals could gape at them. The asylum itself was fairly progressive - the presiding doctor had recently stopped having the inmates regularly beaten as a form of therapy!
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

User avatar
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 4008
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:00 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by Lurker »

clavis123 wrote:
ssfsx17 wrote: I'd go as far as to say that much of modern horror got its origins in real stories and common urban myths from the Victorian era. The twisted insane asylum. The serial killer who sends mysterious messages to the police. Mysterious deaths as a result of disturbing "cursed" things. And so on...
Definitely all those things were in the public consciousness during the 19th century, as the Horror genre was emerging from the Gothic Romance.

The horrors of the asylum have been a theme in my own Ghastly Affair Saga, since the True Innocent character had been locked in a madhouse. She escaped when the place (which had been a convent before the French Revolution) was attacked by Royalist insurgents (who were then besieged by the Gendarmes). The attack occurred on "visitor's day" - when the inmates would be brought to the common hall so that paying locals could gape at them. The asylum itself was fairly progressive - the presiding doctor had recently stopped having the inmates regularly beaten as a form of therapy!
Sadly, that is fairly realistic ...
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by clavis123 »

The latest addition to the popular “Highdark Hall” series is The Enclosed Park & Outbuildings map. Venture outside the great house, and wander the gardens, strange follies, and haunted landscapes of the surrounding park. Use the map for your Gothic, horror, and even steampunk games, or just lose yourself in dark reverie as you mentally explore the grounds. Imagine what secrets lie buried (quite literally) on the property!

Highdark Hall: The Enclosed Park & Outbuildings
https://engineoforacles.wordpress.com/2 ... buildings/
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by Omote »

Gods of gaming! Those maps are so cool. Somebody is getting stabbed on the tennis court for sure... *psst* Because I know it will happen.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by clavis123 »

Thank you! More to come...
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

User avatar
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 4008
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:00 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by Lurker »

Omote wrote:Gods of gaming! Those maps are so cool. Somebody is getting stabbed on the tennis court for sure... *psst* Because I know it will happen.

~O

Rgr that !!!!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by Rhuvein »

Great map!

Is it safe to go for a walk out on the Moors at night during a full moon if you hear a hound baying?

:o
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by clavis123 »

Rhuvein wrote:Great map!

Is it safe to go for a walk out on the Moors at night during a full moon if you hear a hound baying?

:o
I'm gonna say.....no!
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

User avatar
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 4008
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:00 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by Lurker »

clavis123 wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Great map!

Is it safe to go for a walk out on the Moors at night during a full moon if you hear a hound baying?

:o
I'm gonna say.....no!

Yet, someone will ..... the fool that they are !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by clavis123 »

Enter the famous Hedge Maze of Highdark Hall, and discover what walks its shadowed paths.

Highdark Hall: The Hedge Maze
https://engineoforacles.wordpress.com/2 ... edge-maze/
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by Omote »

Exceptional!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by clavis123 »

Thank you! I aim to have more writeups on the Park features ready soon. I'll mostly keep to the format of having multiple conflicting rumors about the various locations. That way different GMs can develop the material in ways appropriate to their own games, and players can't be sure what's going to happen next!
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by Rhuvein »

Omote wrote:Exceptional!

~O
Darn. I've got to top this praise . . . hmm, fantabulous! Aw crap, that's all I got
. :|
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg
Posts: 10792
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Somewhere in Time

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by Rhuvein »

Well done, Daniel!!

I'm thinking of adding a few more benches and mebbe some other weird or ancient statues.

But what really has me stoked, its putting in some secret hedge doors and perhaps some moving hedges or snake vines from Harry Potter's Goblet of Fire.

Great stuff! :P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by clavis123 »

Rhuvein wrote:Well done, Daniel!!

I'm thinking of adding a few more benches and mebbe some other weird or ancient statues.

But what really has me stoked, its putting in some secret hedge doors and perhaps some moving hedges or snake vines from Harry Potter's Goblet of Fire.
Sounds great! All the Highdark Hall material is meant to be a base that can be customized and further developed by GMs.
Rhuvein wrote:Great stuff! :P
Thanks!
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

User avatar
clavis123
Ulthal
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:00 am

Re: Highdark Hall: A Free Setting for Gothic Roleplaying

Post by clavis123 »

Over at RPGGeek there is a thread using the Highdark Hall maps as the basis for a collaboratively-designed haunted house.

https://rpggeek.com/thread/1857716/lets ... nted-house
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

Post Reply