Traveller The Invasion...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Traveller The Invasion...

Post by Rigon »

Kayolan wrote:I just did the math on my character to see if I would have had more or less if I created him with the point buy method. Turns out I was only 1 skill rank under using the btb method, however some of my characteristics were raised when making mustering benefit rolls for my first career, so I actually made out a little better than I would have.
When I counted out my skills, I came up with the same number as I would have had with the point buy. So, I'm happy.

I also put a more complete character write up on my original character post.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Dr. Fred Lamar, PhD
Scholar (Scientist): 5 terms

ORIGINAL CHARACTERISTICS

STR 6
DEX 7
INT 8
EDU 11
END 5
SS 8

ENHANCED CHARACTERISTICS

STR 9
DEX 10
INT 10
EDU 14
END 8
SS 8

SKILLS
Guns 0
Drive 2 (Wheeled)
Carouse 1
Science (Space) (Xenology) 3
Science (Life) (Genetics) 3
Science (Life) (Biology) 3
Language (Spanish) 1
Melee (Unarmed) 3
Jack of All Trades 2
Medic 1
Computers 2

FINANCES
$4000

EQUIPMENT
Toyota Hilux
First Aid Kit
UT Lab Privileges
UT Library Privileges
Macbook Pro
Kubotan

CAREER HISTORY:
Background
Melee 0 (Strip mall TKD)
Computers 0
Medic 0 (Worked part time at a hospital)
Language 0

18-22 University of Texas
Computers 1
Science (Life) 0
Jack of All Trades 0
Medic 1
Melee 1 (Unarmed) (Kung Fu Club)

22-26 University of Texas
Science (Life) (Biology) 1
Science (Life) (Genetics) 1
Science (Space) 0
Melee 2 (Unarmed) (Kung Fu Club Assistant Instructor)
Drive 0 (Part time pizza driver)

26-30 Daedalus Pharmaceuticals
Science (Life) (Biology) 2
Science (Life) (Genetics) 2
Science (Space) (Xenology) 1 (Antarctic extremophiles)
Drive 1 (Wheeled)
Melee 3 (Unarmed) (Year in China, seminars at Shaolin Temple)

30-34 Monsanto
Language (Spanish) 1
Science (Life) (Biology) 3
Science (Life) (Genetics) 3
Jack of All Trades 1

34-38 NASA
Science (Space) (Xenology) 3 (Death Valley extremophiles)
Computers 2
Jack of All Trades 2
Drive 2 (Wheeled)
Guns 0
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Looks like everyone is pretty much done creating characters. We got a nice variety I think. :)

So, is this on for tomorrow then?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Kayolan wrote: So, is this on for tomorrow then?
Yes.

I have rewritten, changed, and greatly expanded the opening "scene" I previously posted on the first page of this thread. Please go to page 1 and read the new version prior to game time.

The only change it will cause for your characters is this starts in Houston, Texas, not Dallas. For reasons that should quickly become apparent if you haven't wondered about it already once you read my rewrite.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Kayolan wrote:Looks like everyone is pretty much done creating characters. We got a nice variety I think. :)

So, is this on for tomorrow then?

I can't wait, however, over the weekend I went to roll 20 and tried to drop my icon and upload my character info ..... I guess I'm not smart enough to do so.

Let me know what to do & I'll hand him there asap.
Treebore wrote:
Yes.

I have rewritten, changed, and greatly expanded the opening "scene" I previously posted on the first page of this thread. Please go to page 1 and read the new version prior to game time.

The only change it will cause for your characters is this starts in Houston, Texas, not Dallas. For reasons that should quickly become apparent if you haven't wondered about it already once you read my rewrite.
Tree I've been thinking, my friend of a friend that is helping me get a job after my last military tour could be a contractor for NASA. Assisting their SAR, equipment recovery & security, etc etc etc. That would fit my character, and put him at ground 0 at the right place and at the right time. Let me know if it works for you and I'll finish my write up that way.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:
Kayolan wrote: So, is this on for tomorrow then?
Yes.

Excellent intro. I wonder if the "pax" and the humanoid appearance indicates they were here once before, thousands of years ago. Or perhaps they have just assumed a pleasing shape and their best guess at a universal language.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Lurker wrote: Tree I've been thinking, my friend of a friend that is helping me get a job after my last military tour could be a contractor for NASA. Assisting their SAR, equipment recovery & security, etc etc etc. That would fit my character, and put him at ground 0 at the right place and at the right time. Let me know if it works for you and I'll finish my write up that way.
One thing we didn't do in our characters is set up "connections". Not sure how connected treebore wants us to be. I could probably have pretty obvious connections to Lurker, Maximus, and Kayolan.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I was going to go the whole "Ancient Alien" route myself. As for connections, I could have connections with Aergraith (Academia) and Lurker (University Hospital).

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

You guys can be as connected as you want. For example, you can all be working at the NASA location. You can be part of the police force in Houston, dealing with the rioting, etc... You can be there in some capacity for the military. Like some of you may want to say your still in the reserves.

How connected are you, even outside of all working at NASA? Well, almost all of you are prior military. At the very least there are a number of channels through which you can be aware of each other, IE you read about each other in any number of online Veterans communities, you could have met up at local Veteran get together locations, such as a VFW, you can do volunteer work at the local DAV's. There are lots of ways for Veterans to have come into contact with each other, and to have developed friendships with each other, aside from working at NASA in some capacity.

Heck, you could have all met at the local VA hospital, either getting into conversations while waiting for your appointments, or participating in PTSD help groups, volunteering there, etc...

Even Aramis could create a connection by being a volunteer via one of these volunteer groups, etc...

Then there are the possibilities created by your non military backgrounds. If you have a 3 in something like Archaeology, Biology, etc... you have very likely written papers for the various journals related to your field. So at least be indirectly aware of each other.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Everyones character sheet is up on Roll 20. The link to Roll 20 is in the first post of this thread. Those two of you who had already signed in/joined, won't be visible to the others, the others are all "All Players" right now. Since I couldn't assign the sheets to players who had yet to join the game. Realize the full Mongoose Traveller character sheet is there. I just copied/pasted what I found here in this thread to the bio/info section.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I am getting very jazzed by how much artwork I am finding that closely fits/approximates how I have envisioned this "setting". Not exact, but surprisingly similar.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Shit, I better find a picture to use for my character.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Aramis wrote:
Lurker wrote: Tree I've been thinking, my friend of a friend that is helping me get a job after my last military tour could be a contractor for NASA. Assisting their SAR, equipment recovery & security, etc etc etc. That would fit my character, and put him at ground 0 at the right place and at the right time. Let me know if it works for you and I'll finish my write up that way.
One thing we didn't do in our characters is set up "connections". Not sure how connected treebore wants us to be. I could probably have pretty obvious connections to Lurker, Maximus, and Kayolan.
I added probable connections to the end of my write up. I'll run with them unless someone waives me off what I put.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Well, what we managed to get in was interesting.

I forgot to say I actually have a skill related to that first contact situation. Have to get used to how the new game works.

So, I persuade the oily Star Gate men with stance, glance and gesture that we come in peace, all the while saying "amicus! amicus!"

;)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

:lol:

So what little bit we got in, had Merrick pledging his honor to the alien. The aliens way of offering marriage. (Remember those very nice and ornate large daggers they all wear on a chain hanging form their neck? Yes, you find the idea of wearing such large and heavy looking dagger/knives VERY uncomfortable to your neck.) Merrick swears he see's a momentary expression of being stunned cross the alien mans (Is he a man, or wearing the skin of a man?) face for the blink of an eye. How will the alien respond? Will he accept Merrick's marriage proposal? Will he turn it down? Will he violently turn it down? Tune in next episode to find out!

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote::lol:

So what little bit we got in, had Merrick pledging his honor to the alien. The aliens way of offering marriage. (Remember those very nice and ornate large daggers they all wear on a chain hanging form their neck? Yes, you find the idea of wearing such large and heavy looking dagger/knives VERY uncomfortable to your neck.) Merrick swears he see's a momentary expression of being stunned cross the alien mans (Is he a man, or wearing the skin of a man?) face for the blink of an eye. How will the alien respond? Will he accept Merrick's marriage proposal? Will he turn it down? Will he violently turn it down? Tune in next episode to find out!
I said "amicus" not "amare", now keep your hands where I can see them :lol:

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

So what little bit we got in, had Merrick pledging his honor to the alien. The aliens way of offering marriage. (Remember those very nice and ornate large daggers they all wear on a chain hanging form their neck? Yes, you find the idea of wearing such large and heavy looking dagger/knives VERY uncomfortable to your neck.) ,,,? Will he accept Merrick's marriage proposal? ...!
If so, let me be the first to congratulate the new couple and inquire to where the honeymoon will be? I hear the rings of some of the outer gas planets are wonderful this time of year ! :lol:

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Stupid internet, stupid Skype .... I updated mine just now. What was going to take 35 + min last night (after already taking 10 min to get to that point) just now took me 8 min to do. I'll be so glad next spring when they finally get real high speed internet out here !

that said, I have double checked. I have the up to date Skype for next week ...

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:Stupid internet, stupid Skype .... I updated mine just now. What was going to take 35 + min last night (after already taking 10 min to get to that point) just now took me 8 min to do. I'll be so glad next spring when they finally get real high speed internet out here !

that said, I have double checked. I have the up to date Skype for next week ...
That's if we can use Skype. We are going on Friday to look at new laptops for the Mrs. Which means I get her old one, which is an update for computing power for me. And it has Win 7 on it. Though it will need a reinstall at some point after the Mrs gets all of her files and such off of the old laptop. I'll have to try to get it set up before next Monday night. But we do have Monday off, so I should be able to monkey with it some during the day.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:

So what little bit we got in, had Merrick pledging his honor to the alien. The aliens way of offering marriage. (Remember those very nice and ornate large daggers they all wear on a chain hanging form their neck? Yes, you find the idea of wearing such large and heavy looking dagger/knives VERY uncomfortable to your neck.) ,,,? Will he accept Merrick's marriage proposal? ...!
If so, let me be the first to congratulate the new couple and inquire to where the honeymoon will be? I hear the rings of some of the outer gas planets are wonderful this time of year ! :lol:
This can actually turn out to be a good thing. It just depends. Merrick has brought their honor into this. If he moves forward correctly, it can be good. If he insults...

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:
Lurker wrote:

This can actually turn out to be a good thing. It just depends. Merrick has brought their honor into this. If he moves forward correctly, it can be good. If he insults...
So what you are saying is the fate of humanity rests on the smart decisions of Aramis

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wrote:
Lurker wrote:

So what you are saying is the fate of humanity rests on the smart decisions of Aramis

That is what I am expecting, yes. :lol:

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
Aramis wrote:

That is what I am expecting, yes. :lol:
Rgr that!

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My assumptions as your GM or CK are this: That you will show up to play in my games, That we are friends to some degree. Friends who enjoy playing an RPG together. That we are enough of a friend that reasonable attempts will be made to remain friends. That friends make an attempt to work out problems. That you will let me know if there are any problems within the game group, and give me, and the group, an opportunity to resolve any problems. That you realize we all invest time into this. We all invest a part of ourselves in this group activity. That we all owe each other a basic effort to keep things working, and to make an attempt to fix things if they stop working. If you cannot accept and agree to these basic assumptions of mine, please do me a favor. Quit my group. Now. Don't waste any more of my, or anyone else's, time. So if you sign into and play my games, I will continue on with these base line assumptions, and that you will too, and you will honor them as much as I do.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:My assumptions as your GM or CK are this: That you will show up to play in my games, That we are friends to some degree. Friends who enjoy playing an RPG together. That we are enough of a friend that reasonable attempts will be made to remain friends. That friends make an attempt to work out problems. That you will let me know if there are any problems within the game group, and give me, and the group, an opportunity to resolve any problems. That you realize we all invest time into this. We all invest a part of ourselves in this group activity. That we all owe each other a basic effort to keep things working, and to make an attempt to fix things if they stop working. If you cannot accept and agree to these basic assumptions of mine, please do me a favor. Quit my group. Now. Don't waste any more of my, or anyone else's, time. So if you sign into and play my games, I will continue on with these base line assumptions, and that you will too, and you will honor them as much as I do.

Did I miss something ...

If it is me, with all the computer / coms issues and being the weak link in that area, I'll back out so everyone else can more easily play.

Just let me know if that is it ...

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:My assumptions as your GM or CK are this: That you will show up to play in my games, That we are friends to some degree. Friends who enjoy playing an RPG together. That we are enough of a friend that reasonable attempts will be made to remain friends. That friends make an attempt to work out problems. That you will let me know if there are any problems within the game group, and give me, and the group, an opportunity to resolve any problems. That you realize we all invest time into this. We all invest a part of ourselves in this group activity. That we all owe each other a basic effort to keep things working, and to make an attempt to fix things if they stop working. If you cannot accept and agree to these basic assumptions of mine, please do me a favor. Quit my group. Now. Don't waste any more of my, or anyone else's, time. So if you sign into and play my games, I will continue on with these base line assumptions, and that you will too, and you will honor them as much as I do.

Did I miss something ...

If it is me, with all the computer / coms issues and being the weak link in that area, I'll back out so everyone else can more easily play.

Just let me know if that is it ...
No, I would never hold technical issues against anyone. This is all about personal commitment, and choices. Due to circumstances I am seeing unfold in other games, I am making it clear what my commitment is to all of you, and I am now insisting, due to the issues in other games, that all of you declare the same degree of commitment to me. If you sign into my next game session, I will take that as your declaration of commitment to me and my games. If you decide you can't have the same degree of commitment as me, I want to know that too.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'll be there. I ain't got anything else to do on Monday nights. :)

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm in.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
... This is all about personal commitment, and choices. ..., that all of you declare the same degree of commitment to me. If you sign into my next game session, I will take that as your declaration of commitment to me and my games. ...
As for personal commitment, .... I hate to admit that I was naive about the effect of getting another trained VSR and the result it would have on me at work. I had hoped/assumed it would free me up at work and I'd be able to commit to the game at the level I had previously been able to put into it. Sadly that isn't the case ... because with a new worker, the boss is now more willing to leave work early, put more of his work off on me and my buddy at work, and I have to help train the new girl up to the proper level and fill in the gaps of the training she got from the boss ... Because of that, and in light of the over 30 legal briefs I need to finish, there is no way for me to commit to the level I used to.

So, I will not be able to give my amazing write ups that make my character look like the hero of the game that saves the party week after week .... ;)

However, I'll be at the game, God willing and if the creek doesn't rise .... Considering my area did flood 4 times last year, and Wednesday night a tornado came within 12 miles of my house, those are real options, but other than that, I'll be there ! :mrgreen:

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I don't have much of a voice today and what I do have is scratchy and rough, but I'm going to show up and try to play.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads