Traveller The Invasion...

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Treebore
Mogrl

Traveller The Invasion...

Post by Treebore »

OK, its Traveller. You are playing earthlings of today, March 2016.

Character "builds". For every 4 years of age above 18 you make your character, you can have 5 skill points. So if you want to be 26, you have 10 points to "build" with. Skill ranks go 0 to a max of 3. You can select 4 "FREE" skills at Rank 0. To reflect what you learned in your first 18 years of life to a meaningful degree of "expertise".

Attributes are rolled straight 2D6, STR, DEX, INT, EDU (Education), END (Endurance) and SS (Social Standing).

Gear. You can have 1 piece of gear for each skill you have. So if you have Gun Combat 0 (Pistols), you can give yourself 1 hand gun of your choice. If you have Medical 1, you can give yourself the best First Aid kit you can find on Amazon, and so on. If you have Drive 0 (Automobiles) you can have a car of up to $20,000.00. You can only have gear a CIVILIAN can have, so no RPG's, no tanks, etc... Also use common sense. You can have the skill, though, assuming your career background would provide that training.

After that, you have cash available to you at your Social Standing x $500 up to an SS of 9. For each rank at 10, 11, and 12, you get $5,000 per point, up to an additional $15,000.00. So a SS of 12 character will have an additional $19,500.00.

Remember, build a character with the following career fields, and assume you spend time in these careers in 4 year/5 skill point blocks. Military, any Branch. Medical, Doctor or Veterinarian, Paramedic level will also work. Politician, but not a Governor, Mayor, or the President. You can be a member of the state or federal Congress. City level will be too low on the totem pole. Federal Congress would work best. Also Ambassadors will work. Biochemist. Computer Programming. Communications field. Psychiatrist, possibly even just Psychologist. The Police forces. Having a military background along with your other career will be a big plus, you can even be currently active duty.

You can be of any nationality, but you must be living in the US, and also holding US citizenship would be useful, but not mandatory. So you can say you have lived in the US for at least 7 years, and have earned Citizenship. Dual Citizenships are fine, as long as one is the USA. You can be an Illegal Alien if you wish, as long as you have good skills, I can make that work.

You will all currently be in Dallas, Texas, or its immediate suburbs.

More later.

Real life example, yes I met this guy. Navy Seal with degree in Physics AND Biochemistry, who was accepted to MIT post graduate program. This is the "caliber" of person who will work most easily for this upcoming story line.

Questions I have answered:

Yes, you can increase your attributes on a skill point per attribute point (1 for 1) basis. Max of 4 points per attribute. Attributes Max out at 15.

Buying skill points is all 1 point for 1 point, but you must start with 0. So getting a skill, at 0, then raising it to the max of 3, is 4 points. I will allow skills to go to a max of 5 in game. Plus attribute modifiers.

Roll 20 link, it has the Mongoose Traveller character sheet...

https://app.roll20.net/join/1318331/Aghn-g

Edit 1: All those who got the "Upper" result, add 3 to any PHYSICAL attribute at 10 or less, 2 to EDU and INT, and 4 to those at 11 above, or 3 for those at 11 or above for EDU or INT. Those who I rolled low for, add 1 across the board. Also recall those of you who got high results, your life span is extended by 40 years, those who got low, extended 20 years. EVERYONE is now immune to Colds, Allergies, Flues, Disease, etc... Those I rolled low for heal in Half the time from physical wounds. Those I rolled high for can heal in 1/4 the time. Also, increase your body mass/weight by 20% if I rolled low for you, increase it by 40% if you got a high roll. Also remember you MUST maintain your consumption of the Green/Blue "Goo", daily. You MIGHT be able to go as long as 4 days without it, but at some point you will literally "shut down" and go to sleep, and will NOT wake back up until your body considers your resources to be back to 100%, AND all damage caused by the deprivation, has been fully repaired.

Campaign Time, started March 21st, Nanites ingested March 24th, first attribute boost occurs on April 15th.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Traveller The Invasion...

Post by Rigon »

So, since we are starting out in Dallas, character concept: Walker, Texas Ranger. ;)

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Do you want us to do character creation by the book or should we just hand wave that stuff?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Do you want us to do character creation by the book or should we just hand wave that stuff?

R-
The professions in the book don't really fit modern earth. However you can use the closest approximation, if you wish, to determine mishaps, rank advances, etc... You can even do skills by the book, just remember to change any that are beyond what is possible on modern earth to its closest real approximation. Or you can just create your character by awarding skills and deciding on your "life" using my guidelines above, and ask about anything I don't have covered. Which will prompt me to write something to cover it. :)

Edit: Ground Zero. If you want, use this to pick out exactly where your characters are living on March 21, 2016.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8039564 ... .06z?hl=en
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Ok, just have to choose a concept.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Me too, I'll have one worked out soon.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'll open my SKYPE, and try to remember to keep it open most days, until the game, so you guys have a way to ask questions, etc...

Edit: Be sure to take a look at the edit above, "Edit: Ground Zero."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

In one day, one moment, your world changes. Dark shadows appeared over Houston, Texas, and the surrounding suburbs. News videos show a MASSIVE ball of fire coming through the atmosphere, slowly, according to the media experts on speed of such masses. There is also video of much smaller ships, black, with what look to be forward swept wings, looking like some highly stylized bird of prey, already landing in a very large ring at the NASA landing strip outside of Houston.
Within the hour the President orders a nation wide state of Martial Law. Everyone not directly involved in police or military operations are ordered to remain in their homes. The Governor of Texas also issues the state level order. Everyone is to stay where they are. At home or at work, stay in place. Do not travel on the roads.
The Media is also ordered to stay away, but they argue First Amendment rights, duty to keep the public informed, etc... They apparently won the argument, because they continue broadcasting, uninterrupted.
Just shy of two hours after the fireball first being reported, the fire recedes, revealing a MASSIVE space ship. Experts calculate its spherical shape to be roughly a 900 foot radius, an 1800 foot diameter. Now wind and cloud turbulence wraps around the sphere. Lightning is seen playing across the surface sporadically. Half an hour later the sphere lands amid the ring made by its much smaller ships, extending tiny looking legs as it connects with the ground. The news feed transmits amazing sounds as the ship literally crushes the earth under it. “Experts” quickly explain they are sounds heard during Earthquakes, from the earth splitting. They say the density of the ship must be massive.
Media camera’s pan around the massive NASA field, apparently trying to show just how massive the ship is, with its ring of surrounding ships. They also pan further around, showing what appears to be thousands of soldiers, with hundreds of tanks. If it was meant to bolster your courage, it fails, because they look like little toys arrayed around a giant. Even their small ships are 6 to 8 times longer than any of the tanks or APC’s.

The next two days are nerve wracking. There are reports of people rioting nearly everywhere around the world, the media and the internet is buzzing with the fear crazed crying that the end of the world is nigh. Officials and any expert they could get a hold of try to assuage these fears by pointing out that all these ships did was land. No one was attacked, even though they clearly could have done so if that was their intent. “Sources” report that attempts to communicate are being made, by both sides, but have yet to succeed. The total Martial Law is relaxed some, with times given for people to work, or go get supplies from stores, and to visit their doctors or hospitals.

Early on the third day, things change. The media goes crazy reporting that what looks to be a hatch has opened on the massive spherical ship, and some kind of ramp has descended to the earth. Every available camera zooms in on the opening. A figure, humanoid, is made out in the shadows. Video enhancements show it looks to be holding what could only be a weapon. It remains there for a minute. Then two. Then three. Then another figure arrives, and is much more easy to see. He too is humanoid. In fact, it seems everyone gasp, as you all collectively realize who you are now seeing looks to be very human. He stops by the figure in the shadows, apparently talking to it. He is then seen taking off what looks to be an armband and a wrist cuff, and handing it to the figure in the shadows. Then this human looking alien steps out onto the ramp, into the morning sun.
He definitely looks human, you have no sense of scale since the ramp and ship behind him is so huge. He looks to be clearly male, and to be wearing black leather “pants” that hug his legs all the way down to his ankles. He wears what looks like an undersized vest, because it is far too small to close over his extremely well-muscled upper body. The vest does have symbols visible on it, as does his “pants” around his waist and ankle areas. The “man” has hair that goes down to his shoulder top, and looks to be a dark chocolate color.
After standing there a few moments, he then walks down the ramp, coming forward about half way from the massive ship to the ring created by the small ships and stopping. He then lifts his arms up and out to his sides, and does a complete rotation, apparently to show he has no weapons.
He then gestures, as if he wants someone to approach him. Minutes pass afterwards. Then camera’s zoom in on a news crew that slowly approaches the alien humanoid. When the group gets to just inside of the perimeter created by the small ships, the alien gestures in a way that is interpreted as “Stop”, which the news crew does.

By this time you realize the alien has Blue eyes, because they now apparently switch to the camera crew that is in front of him. His skin looks to be what can only be described as bronze, but not in a metallic way. The alien then looks directly at the camera crew and speaks one word. “PAX.” A few seconds later, he repeats it. He then turns away from the camera crew and starts to walk back to the ship. You hear the camera crew cry to him to stop and answer questions, but he appears to pay them no attention and walks back up the ramp to the ship, enters, and soon after the hatch closes and the ramp recedes back to whatever space it came from.
In the following hours everyone seems glued to their news sources even more than they had been in the previous 60 plus hours.
In what seems to take forever, let alone just a couple of hours, the media starts to report that “experts” are reporting what they think the word means. They think it comes from the old Latin language. If they are right, the word has one known meaning. “Peace.”
Experts also report, via media outlets, they now think they have identified the language of the aliens as being the old, possibly original, form of Latin.
Speculation explodes anew.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rigon wrote:Ok, just have to choose a concept.

R-
I'm thinking ex-special forces/federal agent type for my character. Just need to figure out skills and such. I worked up a SWAT character, but wasn't really feeling it, so have been working on other concepts.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Treebore wrote:In one day, in one moment, the world changed. Dark shadows fell over Dallas, Texas. News videos show them to be caused by a huge ship floating in the atmosphere, casting clouds on the hot Texas summer. Then, slowly, the massive ship touches down. The media shows police and military forces approach the massive ship. Then, one humanoid emerges – only wearing what looks to be pants. The man looks fully human – but with very large and impressively developed musculature. Then he speaks a single word, "PAX".
This sounds like it's going to be a great game :)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Languages will be important too, in this game. At least initially. Well, all along, just the obviousness of it will drop off as things move forward. So prioritize considering the more heavily Latin based languages, or even pure Latin, for second languages onward. Every single character should have such a language beyond English. You can go without, but it will put you at a disadvantage.

Eventually your characters will be hand picked to fight the alien invaders. So specific skills will be looked for, and the more a given character has of those skills, the more likely they are to be picked, the more they will be paid, and the higher the authority they will be given, and be able to earn.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:
... You can only have gear a CIVILIAN can have, so no RPG's, no tanks, etc... Also use common sense. ...

Real life example, yes I met this guy. Navy Seal with degree in Physics AND Biochemistry, who was accepted to MIT post graduate program. This is the "caliber" of person who will work most easily for this upcoming story line.

How loosly are you applying the civilian gear rule ... I'm retired military, but I have 2 sets of full ballistic body armor here ..... mmmm I could have them here .... I would have never acquired stuff when supply wasn't paying attention .... that would be wrong .... ;)

Plus, my demo instructor had his own stash of explosives ... I was scared the first time I went to his house for a BBQ, but his wife made great Philipino grilled pork, and he got me rang time anytime I needed it soooooo I can't complain ....

Rgr on no rpgs etc, just testing the water on how lenient (to a point you will be)

Also, rgr on the SEAL with MIT under his belt. I know a ranger medic SSG that is working on his masters from Harvard, heck half the lower enlisted in my unit had a degree or were within a year of having one even before being a NCO. SF - regardless of the flavor tend to push the envelope on those things. Where most think they are just dumb guys with muscles and trigger time. That said, for realism, with this caliber of troop needed for the mission, if anyone wants to be military, go for SF of some kind - Army Ranger - Delta, MARSOC, , SEAL, or AFSOC.

For my character(s) I have some rolled up from the time you (tree) talked me through character creation that I can easily retool and reverse engineer back to current time.

One; a Ranger/SF medic with CSAR focus and anti-pirate missions - I may make him A PJ, but it is all the same just with different color uniform.

the other; A CIA type - spy & direct action focus.

I'll prep them both, and let you (tree) look over them to make sure I didn't muck it up. I'll lean toward the medic, but keep the CIA guy in my back pocket incase someone else wants to be a medic/doc.

Oh yeah, if you are doing a SF type, remember, no one is ever single focused. Everyone always has a secondary and tertiary skill set they are skilled to experts in. I can't remember where I heard the quote, but it fits "In SFes you become an expert at being an expert"
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

I'm thinking about former Marine Special Ops, focus on international relations and languages. Expert in wilderness survival skills. Still vague, but I'll fill it in. I'll shoot you a PM about this weekend.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Merrick Ibn-Khayal

Age 38

• ATTRIBUTES:

Str 7 0
    End 9 +1
    Dex 12(+1+1+1) +3
    Int 7(+1+1) +1
    Edu 8 0
    Soc 4 -1
  • SKILLS:

streetwise Int 0
    computer Int 0
    stealth Dx 3
    dcpt D/I 3
    Gun(Rfl) Dx 3
    Xplsv Edu 2
    Jack Trades 3
    Persd Int 2
    Eng (Energy)Int 3
Build Story:

Ibn-Khayal is a gang banger with a rare cunning and an ambition to succeed. Makes his money stealing, conning, and when the opportunity arises, rippinig stashes from other bangers

Street Gang Thug
streetwise 0
computer 0
stealth 0
deception 0

A heist gone very wrong sees Ibn-Khayal recruited by the CIA for an off the books project. His lack of both training, discipline and formal education results in an extended training period

18-22 Agency Recruit
Gun 0
Explosives 0
Jack Trades 0
Stealth 1
Deception 1

Ibn-Khayal's career as an agent gets off to a rocky start when his arrogance in a mission gets a CI killed and himself severely injured. He dedicates himself to physical fitness to fully recover from the injury, and to a subtler approach on the street to protect his CIs

22-26 Jnr Agent- Operation Havoc
Gun 1
Dex +1
Jack Trades 1
Explosives 1
Dcpt 2

With success after success, Ibn-Khayal settles into his role. He is soon promoted and leading investigations against local warlords. His sticky fingers also mean he is slowly salting away a nice nest egg.

26-30 Field Agent- Operation Havoc
Gun 2
Dex +1
Int +1
Stealth 2
Dcpt 3

Ibn-Khayal is "promoted" to the role of handler. He spends much of the next few years in classrooms learning the tricks of psychology and salesmanship. He develops a substantial group of informants in his region, producing useful intel. But the lure of the game is too strong and he requests being placed back on operations

30-34 Handler Operation Havoc
Persuade 0+1+2
Jack Trades 2
Gun 3

Ibn-Khayal returns to what he loves best. Sneaking, sniping, and (when no one is looking) stealing. You can take the boy out of the streets but you can't take the street completely out of the boy. Fortunately, the name of the job is Havoc, so he fits right in

An outbreak of coordination between state and non state actors in the region combined with the easy availability of fissile materials and rented expertise led to Ibn-Khayal being trained in High Energy Engineering to spot the telltale signs of their use and manufacture, and how to handle them safely. Hardly any of the proto bombs and materials he recovered in the next 4 years ended up on the black market ;)

34-38 Operator Operation Havoc
Stealth 3
Jack Trades 3
Int +1
Dex +1
Explsv 2
Engineer (Energy) 3

Equiptment
Secure cell phone
med kit
camo sticks
dark clothing+balaclava
ear jack/throat mic
anti ballistic vest
night vision goggles
plastic tie cuffs
gas mask
computer
climbing gear
hobby r/c drone w. video
multitool

Guns:

L119A1 C8 CQB shortened 5.56 assault rifle 30 rd mag laser sighting

X2 Taser (2 shot) laser sighting, holster

AW50F (L121A1) 50 cal sniper rifle, folding stock, scope, hard case
"When loaded with armor-piercing / incendiary ammunition the AW50F can engage a wide range of soft and hard targets. Vehicles can be disabled with a strategically placed shot to the engine, as can parked aircraft and even lightly-armored vehicles. The AW50F is ideal for counter-sniper missions as the .50 round can penetrate through the enemy shooter's cover" :twisted:

Character background

Merrick Ibn-Khayal (Merrick Son of the Shadow)

The Khayal family emigrated to the mean streets of Detroit as refugees from the first Iraq war because the father was an army translator. Merrick speaks fluent Arabic. He fell in with bad crowd/gang in Detroit. Started with drug dealing, car stealing. Then he "progressed" to "ripping" other dealers and eliminating the competition. Learned street relevant skills, as well as stealth/ambush. Also learned computer skills to hack phones and computers to get intel on their rivals. Not too much formal education. In and out of prison.

One night, opportunity knocked. A sweet brand new black SUV parked down the street. Cashmere coat, briefcase and cell phone lying on the passenger seat, just begging to be stolen. Turns out the car's owner (who happened to be inside visiting his "girlfriend" (by the hour)) didn't take too kindly to losing his coat. More importantly, that guy's boss _really_ didn't take kindly to losing what was in the briefcase or on the cellphone.

The heat was on Merrick. I mean, really on. A bunch of weird stuff started happening in the neighborhood, including drones flying above their apartment block and lots of guys with sunglasses and ear pieces asking questions. Eventually he was so spooked, he used the stolen cellphone to set up a meeting. But not before he hacked the computer and saw some really interesting files on what was really going on in the Middle East

Initially, Assistant Director Madison was just going to recover the intel and send the kid down a dark hole in Cuba. But his unique skill set (smart, computer savvy, stealthy, arab speaker, cool in a gunfight) intrigued him. ibn-Khayal was sent for basic in Virginia to round out his skills, then he joined the Agency as a member of Operation Havoc.

Havoc is an off-books project to disrupt, destroy or otherwise &#!* up whatever functioning organization the enemy managed to get going in the region. He spent many years gathering intel, blowing up comms, stealing money stashes, and liquidating leaders on the other side. Pretty much what he was doing on the streets of Detroit, but now he was making six figures, and had a government pension and has recently bought a sweet McMansion in Dallas for R&R to show for it.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Place holder

Option 1 combat medic - Option 2 (if someone else wants the medic / doc slot of the team) CIA

Name: Jason Gilliam Age: 38 Race: Human Home World: Earth – USA - Tennessee
Traits: A hair over 6’ tall, 185 lbs, lanky , Darker brown hair (between brown and black) and light brown eyes.
"Combat Medic"
Str: 7 - 0
Dex: 11 - +1
End: 12 - +2
Int: 9 - +1
Edu: 10 - +1
Soc: 6 - 0

Armor:
Type
Combat Armor - ???
Type
Ballistic Cloth Armor - ???
Skills

Animals, farming 0
Athletics - Endurance - 1
Comms - Edu - 1
Drive - Dex - 1
Gun - Rifle - Dex -2
Gun - Pistol - Dex - 0
Gun - Shotgun Dex - 1
Heavy Weapon - Launcher - dex - 0
Language French - 1
Language Russian - 0
Medic Edu - 3
Melee U.A. - Dex - 0
Melee Blade - Dex - 0
Navigation - Edu - 1
Phy Sci - Biology - Edu - 2
Recon - int - 1
Sensors - Edu - 1
Stealth - Dex - 1
Survivle - Edu - 1
Vac (SCUBA) Suit - 0
0-G (HALO & SCUBA) - 0

Weapons:
Ruger Mini-14 (semi auto) 3x ACOG, laser, & can
CZ Pistol – 40S&W
Benelli 12 gauge (semi auto)
Dagger

Equipment
Combat Armor - protection 14
Ballistic Cloth Armor - protection 5
Medic Kit (Ranger med kit – up to minor surgery including IV and cut down kit)
NVG Goggles
Climb & Repel Kit
SCUBA gear
Cold weather Kit
2 man tent
Ruck
4 door Jeep Wrangler
Ham Radio

Personality
Quiet, but always in a good mood, hard to get down and impossible to keep down. His outlook on life fit the old character ‘brair rabbit’ with the ‘go ahead throw me in the briar patch … I was born and bred in the briar patch”. His PL gave him the nickname of BR after a train up with PVT Gilliam and then reading his daughter some of the Brair Rabbit & Brair Fox stories before bed. The nickname fit, and it has stuck with him through his career. Top that with the SF mentality of ‘boy this sucks, yeah I love how much it scuks’ and you have Gill / BR’s personality

History
Jason Gilliam (formerly MSgt Gilliam) – known by most as Gill and as BR (Briar Rabbit) by his team mates, peers, and friends, - grew up on a Tennessee family farm. He did well and school and was able to volunteer to work and train with the local medical S&R teams in the surrounding Blue Ridge/Appalachian Mountains. In that he found he love the excitement of working back woods rescue medicine ...

After graduating HS he enlisted in the Army Rangers as a Combat medic. His first tour was fairly uneventful, for a Ranger in the post 9-11 military meaning he saw combat and excelled, but did nothing to earn above a commendation, but he was able to excel and gain rank quickly. He then transferred to the Special Forces again as a medic. As such he gained more in-depth combat training, HALO training and language training, and saw more action. He served with distention, earning several valorous decorations including a purple heart and a BSMwV, and survived multiple tours into the wars of the middle east, and in ‘friction points’ in the states that broke away from Russia. After a tour in Europe, he again returned to war operations in the middle east. Unfortunately, this tour took a tragic turn.

In one large scale operation - using both a Commando Task Force of SF, Rangers & MARSOC troops, and & Regular military forces, the Regular Army general in charge of the campaign planned poorly and the regular army units were unable to complete their portion of the operation. This leaving the Commando forces stranded and cut off for weeks. They were eventually, after weeks of combat and evasion maneuvers, recovered. However, the fall out of the miss-planned operation resulted in the CG attempting to use the Commando CO as a scapegoat for the mission failure. The allegations were never supported and did not stick to the Commando unit. However, SSgt Gilliam was sickened by the political maneuvering of the CG & the needless loss of his teammates due to the poor planning/execution.

Luckily he had in his training made friends with other medics in other units and was able to transfer (sliced to the unit from the Army, retaining his Army rank, with the expatiation that he would return to the Commando unit in the future) into a Joint US / UN anti-piracy Task Force, as a Combat Search, Rescue, and Recovery unit member. Yet again, he excelled in training needed for ship operations & SCUBA (the one area he was lacking from his ground operations) . He performed well through the tour patrolling E Africa and the Indian Ocean.

During this time, working alongside Doctors, Scientists, & Marine Biologists, - and bored to tears on ship patrols, he quickly picked up scientific skills. Most of the scientists ignored his interests in their work, or looked down their noses at someone that would be paid to carry a gun, however a few noticed his keen scientific mind and quick study. They soon realized that a SF Medic was more than an armed paramedic, but actually a Dr level of skill and knowledge – with less polish admittedly. Those that realized this and helped him learn their areas of expertise quickly saw that though he was mostly self-taught, he was better at the skills needed than many of their aids and assistants working on years of college. Plus it helped that he, and his team, did keep them alive in some very dangerous situations. As such, some of the doctors and scientists offered to help bring him into their school /program and get him fast tracked to a degree that would equal his skills.

SSG Gilliam, recently promoted to MSG, declined, but has kept in touch with the Drs and scientists. He wanted to finish the tour in the TF and return back to his beloved SF / Commandos. However, before the end of his tour he was transferred to a new ship crew, to help train up a new crew and open up a new AO.

After the first 6 months of the crew's rotation in a new AO – Philippines to Malaysia - a trial period for a completely green crew - the crew was surprise inspected. The commander of the ship, despite being an adequate pilot and tactician, was inept at commanding & leading a small multinational crew through the extremely high stress of the CSR&R missions. Additionally the Engineer/supply PO of the crew had a checkered past and contacts in the black market/drug cartel. With these contacts the he was able to funnel drugs and contraband to the ship crew (and hoped to expand it into other ships in the rescue sq once they were completely signed off as a full certified CSRR crew). As such, during the inspection the crew as a whole preformed below par. The final nail in the coffin for the crew was that over half of the crew failed the associated drug test.

MSG Gilliliam had documented inconstancies in the crews medical files, and had informed the Captain, but he had not thought to request the CO order a full medical/drug review of the crew. Because of this lack of follow through, and the fact that he was officially still in the Army, the Navy used him as a scapegoat. He was dismissed from the unit - with no official trial so no bad conduct or dishonorable discharge.

Unfortunately, the dismissal was forwarded to the Army. Before the SF/Commando command was notified, the Army administrative arm processed the dismissal so he is now listed as having been honorably discharged. When talking to his previous CO he was told it would take at least 6 months, if not longer, to work the process to get him reinstated. This left MSgt Gilliam with no opportunity to return to his old unit. However, his old CO and team mates gave him some POCs that could use an experienced combat medic.

After barely resisting the temptation to look for an answer in the bottom of a bottle, Gill started calling the POCs from his unit and people he knew. Finally, a friend of a friend put him into contact with someone working as a contractor for the government, to include NASA - among other agencies. Gill easily qualified for his team and over the last month has began to work on the SAR, equipment recovery team and train NASA personnel in those areas. Also, he has crossed paths with a Joe C. a MARSOC acquaintance in the area and has helped him as back up security and medic on his undercover ops

Connections -Direct with Joe - combat tours in the same AO; Merrick - overlap with OP Havoc & Anti-piracy ops in NE / E Africa & Mid East ; Bruce - He did an expose / Docudrama on UN Anti Piracy & Human trafficking and the various ways the military is combating it; **** Possible Dr. Lamar depending on background

Secondary Connection - Dr Little - Read some of his work and listened to a lecture or 2 in the area, knows Dr Vickers and can't stand him (from digs in Africa) so anyone that he dislikes has to be someone Gill would like; If not direct for Dr Lamar, then 2nd as he has studied his work in the biology field
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:

How loosly are you applying the civilian gear rule ... I'm retired military, but I have 2 sets of full ballistic body armor here ..... mmmm I could have them here .... I would have never acquired stuff when supply wasn't paying attention .... that would be wrong .... ;)

Plus, my demo instructor had his own stash of explosives ... I was scared the first time I went to his house for a BBQ, but his wife made great Philipino grilled pork, and he got me rang time anytime I needed it soooooo I can't complain ....
You can have gear you can LEGALLY have. You guys will be interacting, heavily, with the government and legal types, so...

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:
Lurker wrote:

You can have gear you can LEGALLY have. You guys will be interacting, heavily, with the government and legal types, so...
Legal? Hey, It's legal in mozambique, buddy. That's good enough for me. We live in a global village

I stop here on my way to pick up milk and eggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIPCn-aYMoM

:lol:

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Lurker wrote:

On a side note, guys, I think I made my combat medic to focused on different combat skills. That said, to get him a little more science guy , someone needs to take demo/explosives. I'm sure that skill will be needed by the team. If you do I'll shuffle 2 skill points from explosives and another skill and take 2 points in science. That way he will fit Tree's above mentioned MIT graduate SEAL.
I just noticed Merick's skills, he already has explosives, so that is covered! I'll shuffle around some points to get a science skill.

C&C Society

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

So I'm playing an ex-military journalist who was embedded in many conflicts throughout his career.
After he mustered out of the Army he went on to become a journalist for a news station in the Dallas
area. Over time he has gained an amount of celebrity as he has done a few pieces on the military that
have been highly regarded. He is still willing to go into the war zone if necessary and wont shy away
from conflict to get the story.

Name
Bruce A. Carr

Career
Army (Support/Journalism) Terms: 5, Rank: 4 (NCO), Events: Ev. 6, Ev. 4, Ev. 11, Ev. 4, Ev. 11
Entertainer (Journalist) Terms: 3, Rank: 3, Events: Ev. 8 (supported), Ev. 5, Ev. 3 (gained)

Characteristics
Str 8
Dex 8
End 12
Int 10
Edu 10
Soc 8

Skills
Athletics 1 (Coordination)
Art 2 (Writing)
Comms 3
Computers 1
Drive 1 (Wheeled)
Gun Combat 2 (Slug Rifle)
Heavy Weapons 0
Investigate 4
Language 1 (?)
Leadership 0
Medic 0
Melee 0
Persuade 1
Recon 1
Stealth 1
Streetwise 0
Survival 0

Equipment
Canon XF200 (additional accessories: Battery Pack BP-975 x2, GPS Reciever GP-E2,
Tele Converter TL-H58, Wide attachment Lens WA-H58W, Tripod Adapter TA-100,
DC Power Cable DC-930)

Latitude 14 Rugged Extreme

MR556A1 with 6 magazines (30 capacity each)
Glock 21 Gen4 with 4 magazines (13 capacity each)
Rockstead KON-ZDP Japanese Fixed 5.24" Blade

Conquest S8 4G Waterproof Smartphone (with headset)

Military IFAK Level 1 First Aid Kit

ACU Improved Three Day Stretch Backpack

Money
$4,000

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Ok, question for you guys: are you coming up with backgrounds and then making things fit or are you rolling things and making backgrounds fit. I'm having trouble coming up with a concept. There are 2 special forces guys, one federal agent guy already. I'm looking for a niche to fill, but not really that into playing a scientist type.

i thought about digging into some of the expanded MT books I have like the book for Agents and Mercenaries and others like that to see if there is something I sparks me. I keep coming back to the SWAT concept, but not sure if I dig it enough to play that character.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Well, if it helps you Rigon, I can tell you that I will be playing an ex-army guy (journalism, 4 years) who has become a TV camera man/reporter.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Rigon wrote:Ok, question for you guys: are you coming up with backgrounds and then making things fit or are you rolling things and making backgrounds fit. I'm having trouble coming up with a concept. There are 2 special forces guys, one federal agent guy already. I'm looking for a niche to fill, but not really that into playing a scientist type.

i thought about digging into some of the expanded MT books I have like the book for Agents and Mercenaries and others like that to see if there is something I sparks me. I keep coming back to the SWAT concept, but not sure if I dig it enough to play that character.

R-
I originally rolled my character and built it normally with rolled events etc. (which gave me ideas for his background like low soc standing=street gang etc.) but I intentionally joined the Agency (i.e stealthy type) because, well, that's the kind of character I usually play and enjoy the most.

Then in conversation with Treebore he told me to build it with points. So I kept most of what I rolled anyway, but it allowed me to tweak a bit in the direction I wanted and drop a few things I probably would not use anyway. So it made me more me.

I added the "build biography" style build just for the fun of it

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:Ok, question for you guys: are you coming up with backgrounds and then making things fit or are you rolling things and making backgrounds fit. I'm having trouble coming up with a concept. There are 2 special forces guys, one federal agent guy already. I'm looking for a niche to fill, but not really that into playing a scientist type.

R-

What I did was have a general idea of a background, rolled for the traveler random good/bad career & life events, for each year block, but then massaged it around to make it fit a good story. That is how I got the inept general that messed up the campaign, but I survived, then was disillusioned so changed from SF to a US/UN anti-pirate team. The rolls may not have been in that order, but the story the rolls made was better in that order. Plus I had to add a few years to the character ( I mucked up the math on the skill points & thought they started at 1 not 0) so had to roll for 2 more years. I got a minor wound, and a neutral result that I dropped. So, I put the injury earlier in my background where it made sense.

That said, I just figured out, that even with Tree's 5 point per year block, it is hard to make a well rounded character that isn't past middle age. So, it will need more than 1 or 2 SF guys, 1 or 2 CIA type guys. Pick a skill set that you want to be good in, with 2 -3 points in it, then 2 other skills that are at the 1 - 2 level, and round out the other combat survival skills at 0.

As for that niche ... Como is needed, leadership is needed, intelligence is needed - heck you could be the military guy that the CIA assigned to reign in Aramis' Mr sticky finger street thug if you go intel route - engineer / demolitions is needed, transportation is needed, and a mechanic is needed - 2 in mechanic & 2 in weapons and 0 - 1 in the other sf skills would be a life saver when something breaks - and those don't come close to being a science guy. However, if you need me to I'll drop out of the combat medic slot and go with a CIA counterpart to Aramis. I already have him prepped and ready. (Don't default to the Les go ahead and play what you think will be fun ... This is going to be a team even that will end up like Aliens unless we have a GOOD SOLID team, and I can easily fill either slot)

By the way, I did use the merc book & it helped.

C&C Society

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Treebore wrote:OK, its Traveller. You are playing earthlings of today, March 2016.
Sorry if I am being slow.

So, basically, we aren't using the the careers, the qualification/survival/muster out stuff from the book at all. Just the skills and any equipment that matches the tech level of 21st century Sol-3?
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:
Treebore wrote:OK, its Traveller. You are playing earthlings of today, March 2016.
Sorry if I am being slow.

So, basically, we aren't using the the careers, the qualification/survival/muster out stuff from the book at all. Just the skills and any equipment that matches the tech level of 21st century Sol-3?
Well, if you can find a career "close enough" to everything you want your character to be, you can still do all that. If you want to just build it from the ground up, use my point system up above.

Just be sure to convert anything you roll to pre laser, pre magnetic gun tech. Vacc suit will only matter if you have your character be an Astronaut, no one will get Battle Dress.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Les, don't worry about changing characters. I'm not that interested in playing a medic either. I don't know what is wrong with me. I usually have a super general idea of what I want to play, then do a image search to find something in that general field that piques my interest, then develop further from there.

I'll get something figured out before Monday night.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:Les, don't worry about changing characters. I'm not that interested in playing a medic either. I don't know what is wrong with me. I usually have a super general idea of what I want to play, then do a image search to find something in that general field that piques my interest, then develop further from there.

R-
How about the federal agent idea who came up from being a police officer? Be big on the forensic sciences, such as genetics, biochemistry, etc... because of how great a tool they can be to solve crimes? Which would also explain why your a "leader in your field", due to your unique set of "tools" for solving crimes.

Also, realize that a Rank of 3 represents being a "professional" in your field. IE Doctor level, elite sniper level, etc... which is also before you add any attribute modifier.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
Rigon wrote:Les, don't worry about changing characters. I'm not that interested in playing a medic either. I don't know what is wrong with me. I usually have a super general idea of what I want to play, then do a image search to find something in that general field that piques my interest, then develop further from there.

R-
How about the federal agent idea who came up from being a police officer? Be big on the forensic sciences, such as genetics, biochemistry, etc... because of how great a tool they can be to solve crimes? Which would also explain why your a "leader in your field", due to your unique set of "tools" for solving crimes.

Also, realize that a Rank of 3 represents being a "professional" in your field. IE Doctor level, elite sniper level, etc... which is also before you add any attribute modifier.
Thanks for the idea, but I think I got something brewing. Police/SWAT/US Marshal SOG. Got most of the mechaniccals figured and working on story.

R-

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Looks like I'm sort of the communications guy, with some fighting skills. I should have my record posted by tomorrow.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Kayolan wrote:Looks like I'm sort of the communications guy, with some fighting skills. I should have my record posted by tomorrow.
I am thinking I gave a VERY wrong impression, the job fields I listed are only RECOMMENDATIONS. They are in no way critical for the group to have. They are only important in how easy it will make it for me to say the US government chooses your characters for a job. Of course, the more varied you make all of your characters skill sets will also make fewer NPC's be needed to round out your "team".

Still, bottom line, the careers are suggestions for making the role play of selecting your characters make more sense. If you want to be another "version" of a career skill set already selected, do so. Redundancy for where you guys will be going will be desired.

EDIT: This also means you can go completely off the "beaten path". As long as your a rank 3 in a skill the team will find useful, I can justify adding your character to the team. So combat related skills, piloting aircraft/shuttles, etc..., medical, Sciences related to Biochem, Genetics, and power, such as Fusion and Nuclear, etc... You guys can make a good guess as to where this is going with my posting of the "arrival". Choose what you think will be of help, and we will make it work.