Rhu's Sunday night game ~ The Forbidden Temple

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Rhu's Sunday night game ~ The Forbidden Temple

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Do I need to be running the same version of maptool as you guys? I just installed it on the new comp, and I installed the newest version.
Yes. But no worries, you can install multiple version of Maptool and just start whichever one is needed.

A few years back when I was in several games, I had many different versions on my compy and would just start whichever version matched the game I was in.

Anyway, 1.3.b91

See ya tomorrow night.

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Cool, man. Thanks!
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Cool, man. Thanks!
Yep, you'll have to tell us about the new box tomorrow night!

:P

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Game on . . . server will be up in 5 minutes or so.

"See" ya on SKYPE!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

So, something we were talking about tonight reminded me of this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/

It's from a comedy website, the feature is "WTF, D&D?" It's two dudes making fun of old (and not-so-old) RPG stuff. Their take on "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" had me laughing out loud. And they have a great one on Fiend Folio (Oh, yeah, that's what reminded me of it). Dig through the archives here if you want a nostalgic laugh. There's a little bit of chaff, but It's mostly wheat. Enjoy!

And Penny and Aergraith, I sent you a PM...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Session III - Underneath The Temple of Hecate

The adventurers:

Penny as:

Dame Penny-Whistle Scrubroot, the practical and wise gnome cleric
and
Yutso, the vivacious and unpredictable gnome druid.

Aergraith as:

Sir Elderberry Scrubroot, the wildly bold and audacious gnome rogue
and
Iko Treeblight, gnome wizard whose magical power is ascending and he now wields the Blue Fate.

Gringnr as:

Sir Gringnr, the mighty dwarf cleric of Mithril, the dragon god.

Rhuvein as:

Lucius T. Hamfoot, halfling archer from Knobhill.

The action:

After the battle with the werespiders, the party rests briefly drinking from their flasks. Then they continue west past two more crypts belonging to Rhuveinus and his wife Lavinia.

It seems Rhuveinus was a slave who gained his freedom by driving his chariot to win at the Circus Maximus. His prayers to the Goddess Hecate helped him gain the foresight to anticipate all challenges during the race and succeed to the delight of the crowd. The Emperor gave his thumbs up to freedom after his victory.

On top of Mount Olympus, most of the Gods were happy with the win and even Zeus congratulated Hecate.

The adventurers move north being very careful to check for traps, but as they get near an open area - it suddenly goes pitch black. Their torch glows but sheds no light into the area ahead. They realized that it's magical darkness.

Elderberry confers with his fellow party members and they think that perhaps some creature is generating the darkness and if they can somehow let in sunlight ~ it could counter the dark.

They quickly hatch a plan. A long bar is found near one of the crypts. The group exits the dungeon and goes to the temple top over the room that has the magical darkness. They position the bar on an angle that will allow sunlight to enter the dungeon and begin to pound the spike with hammers and mauls. Working together as a team to drive the bar down through the rock, they finally penetrate the room below.

The sun comes out from behind a cloud and enters the angled hole. The party hears some sort of explosion below and feel the air being sucked from above into the hole. At that point, they are pulled towards the hole and are thrown down to the ground suffering some slight subdual damage.

When they re-enter the dungeon to the area where the darkness was, they find a preparation room where bodies were made ready for burial.

Before continuing north, the heroes decide to search the southeast dead end corridor. They check all the walls and floor and find a secret door in the middle of the north wall.

End session.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Their take on "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" had me laughing out loud.
Yeah, that was quite funny at times.

Thanks for posting this.

I'll have to check out the Fiend Folio next.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rhuvein wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:Cool! I was mostly just wondering if you had it and were open to playing it. We should ask the others what they think. btw: I am happy to play any of the games you mentioned. The rare one offfers a unique opportunity and kudos to you for having it and offering to run it.
Thanks, and thank you for the reminder - I had wanted to mention that I do indeed need to ask Gringnr what he thinks before going forward.

We can talk about it during our next session.

Following up on this, Penny.

I was chatting with Gringnr during one of our breaks, while you were away and he was totally OK with us/you running Victorious! His thought was that he enjoys our group and is OK with any game.

So, Victorious is a go. We can give it a try see how it goes and then decide to stay with it if all of us are OK. And/or take a break and I can run L3 or B1.

:D

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Gringnr wrote:So, something we were talking about tonight reminded me of this:

http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/

It's from a comedy website, the feature is "WTF, D&D?" It's two dudes making fun of old (and not-so-old) RPG stuff. Their take on "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" had me laughing out loud. And they have a great one on Fiend Folio (Oh, yeah, that's what reminded me of it). Dig through the archives here if you want a nostalgic laugh. There's a little bit of chaff, but It's mostly wheat. Enjoy!

And Penny and Aergraith, I sent you a PM...
Oh no! Neither of us seemed to have received your pm.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Session III XP = 219 per PC.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:Thanks for the writeup!

I was just listening to the interview with Mike and Liz and I thought I would probably like to try Victorious. I'm not normally interested in superheroes because the stories tend to make the characters too god-like. Where's the fun if everything is easy? But from their description it sounds like the game doesn't have to be that way at all.

Do you have their adventure about Henry Jekyll? Would Victorious be something you'd be interested in playing during your time slot? No problem if not. We could probably try it over here if you want to use the games you mentioned and especially if you've already started prepping for them.
It's a go, Penny!

Looking forward to the game!

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:

I was just listening to the interview with Mike and Liz and I thought I would probably like to try Victorious. I'm not normally interested in superheroes because the stories tend to make the characters too god-like. Where's the fun if everything is easy? But from their description it sounds like the game doesn't have to be that way at all.

Do you have their adventure about Henry Jekyll? Would Victorious be something you'd be interested in playing during your time slot? No problem if not. We could probably try it over here if you want to use the games you mentioned and especially if you've already started prepping for them.
It's a go, Penny!

Cool. I will have to dig around and see if we already have a copy.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Penny-Whistle wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

It's a go, Penny!

Btw, I can send you guys the full copy of the Victorious PDF - since Aergraith did indeed back the kick.

You might also want to take a look at Ghastly Affair. It's really excellent. Been reading both of these this evening as well as Masque of the Red Death.

I now have plenty of material and am in the process of creating a starting scenario that will lead into a module.

Gaslight London - train to Folkestone (near Dover) - ferry to Calais - then a little south to Castle Franqueforte, when Count Rhuvein is hosting a masked ball and has invited his friend from Paris. Monsieur Henri Toulouse Lautrec will show some of his works of art. Other notable personages from the Victorian age may very well be present. Oh, and Madame Goldini will conduct a tarokka deck reading.

[Henri, of course will outrage many guests at the ball when he shows up with "friends" from Ambassadeurs, Olympia and the Moulin Rouge]

More to come.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Sounds great.... Penny I re sent the PM. I think I flubbed it the first time.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Sounds great....
Thanks, man! I think it will be interesting, but for sure let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:
Penny-Whistle wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

It's a go, Penny!

Btw, I can send you guys the full copy of the Victorious PDF - since Aergraith did indeed back the kick.

You might also want to take a look at Ghastly Affair. It's really excellent. Been reading both of these this evening as well as Masque of the Red Death.

I now have plenty of material and am in the process of creating a starting scenario that will lead into a module.

Gaslight London - train to Folkestone (near Dover) - ferry to Calais - then a little south to Castle Franqueforte, when Count Rhuvein is hosting a masked ball and has invited his friend from Paris. Monsieur Henri Toulouse Lautrec will show some of his works of art. Other notable personages from the Victorian age may very well be present. Oh, and Madame Goldini will conduct a tarokka deck reading.

[Henri, of course will outrage many guests at the ball when he shows up with "friends" from Ambassadeurs, Olympia and the Moulin Rouge]

More to come.

Yeah I'd love to see the material

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hey guys. I got off early from work - so if y'all didn't schedule anything else for the evening, we can do some gaming.

Otherwise, I'll watch the grand finale of Downton Abbey instead!

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Penny said she would check in with you around 8:15 but I volunteered to work late because I thought you wouldn't be available.... : (

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Penny said she would check in with you around 8:15 but I volunteered to work late because I thought you wouldn't be available.... : (
K, thanks. Have a great evening!

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Rhuvein wrote:
Gringnr wrote:Penny said she would check in with you around 8:15 but I volunteered to work late because I thought you wouldn't be available.... : (
K, thanks. Have a great evening!

We're game if you are = )

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:
Rhuvein wrote: Btw, I can send you guys the full copy of the Victorious PDF - since Aergraith did indeed back the kick.

Yeah I'd love to see the material
Gringnr, sorry I can't send you the PDF. I only meant Aergraith since he paid for a copy but was not able to download from the kickstarter.

However, it turns out that we're are going to play this game on Friday nights. You are welcome of course, but I think you said that you would not be able to game on that night.

Soooo, that means we will instead play B1 or L3 after our current game.

And, btw - we didn't doing any gaming tonight (instead chatted) - so you didn't miss anything.

See ya next week.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Ahah yeah, I assumed it was a free beta/quick-start or something. But I get it now.

Yeah, Sadly, Fridays are a no go for me.

Will see you all soon, probably be in touch before then though.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Ahah yeah, I assumed it was a free beta/quick-start or something. But I get it now.

Oh yeah, there is a quick start PDF that I can send you if you are interested.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:
Gringnr wrote:Ahah yeah, I assumed it was a free beta/quick-start or something. But I get it now.

Oh yeah, there is a quick start PDF that I can send you if you are interested.

I found it, thanks.

I always held that one of TSR's biggest mistakes was not adopting systems that allowed for less fiddly interchangeability between their games. Or even a universal system. It may seem old hat now, what with GURPS, WoD, D6 and all the others, but I really think it would have helped their non-D&D systems to sell more and stay relevant/commercially viable longer than they did. Seems like that is what Troll Lord is doing, and I like it.

I've been kicking around (read: doing nothing with) a few ideas of my own regarding a universal system.

Anyhow, I'll give Victorious a look.

Sorry I missed Sunday, I'd be happy to shoot the breeze with you all anytime.

OK, I'm gonna play 16-year old console games on my newly built PC now, catch you later and sorry for the off-topic chatter. Adios, amoebas.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great post, Gringnr.

I'm still lamenting Duke . .

and now Half-Life Three.

Hmm, perhaps I should just write my own HL3 ~

like I did with Alien III. That movie never happened and I erased it in my mind.

Hope Alien V will confirm what I wish.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Gringnr wrote:
I found it, thanks.

I always held that one of TSR's biggest mistakes was not adopting systems that allowed for less fiddly interchangeability between their games. Or even a universal system.
There was the Amazing Engine, but that didn't go very far.

Alternity was sort of generic too, but mostly a space/future system.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Aergraith wrote:
Gringnr wrote:
I found it, thanks.

I always held that one of TSR's biggest mistakes was not adopting systems that allowed for less fiddly interchangeability between their games. Or even a universal system.
There was the Amazing Engine, but that didn't go very far.

Alternity was sort of generic too, but mostly a space/future system.
Not familiar with either of those, I mean I've heard of them. Never looked at them. I almost want to say that the HERO system was the first one to be used for more than one game, but now I think of it, maybe the T&T system?

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:Great post, Gringnr.

I'm still lamenting Duke . .

and now Half-Life Three.

Hmm, perhaps I should just write my own HL3 ~

like I did with Alien III. That movie never happened and I erased it in my mind.

Hope Alien V will confirm what I wish.

There were 4 scripts written for Alien 3, before the final (filmed) one. They focus on different characters because it was unclear whether Sigourney Weaver would return to the role. One of the scripts was written by seminal sci-fi author William Gibson. When the movie came out, it featured ideas from at least 3 of the previous scripts. They are all easily found online if you have any interest in reading them. The William Gibson script is a hoot. It focuses mainly on Hicks and Bishop.

Also, there is an alternate cut of Alien 3 that was released several years back. Though an improvement, it's still Alien 3.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Yeah, I have one of those scripts and started it some years ago and then forgot about it. I'll have to check out the others.

Thanks for the reminder. I read 2 of Gibson's books and liked them a lot, so I'll have to read his take on A3.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Tomorrow night . . .

game start will be at 7:30 PM Central.

See ya, then!

8-)