Who's Yer Con 2016, Indianapolis IN

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
ArgoForg
Red Cap

Who's Yer Con 2016, Indianapolis IN

Post by ArgoForg »

For those of you who might be interested, Who's Yer Con 2016 registrations and event submissions are now open! Who's Yer Con is a smaller (but growing!) midwest gaming con devoted to board, RPG and other sorts of gaming. It's recently had to upscale its venue to provide enough room for its guests vendors and events, and everyone's nice here in Whosyerville.

I'm intending to run at least 2 C&C sessions this year, and quite possibly more, so feel free to join me!

Apr 1st, 2016, 10:00am — Apr 3rd, 2016, 4:00pm
Wyndham Indianapolis West
Indianapolis, IN
Phone: (317) 248-2481

More Details: http://whosyergamers.org/
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Re: Who's Yer Con 2016, Indianapolis IN

Post by ArgoForg »

It's OH-fficial! I will be running two four-hour sessions (Friday and Saturday evening) at Who'sYerCon this year and talking up C&C much as I do every year I attend. WYC is a smallish, but definitely growing, gaming con in Indianapolis, IN... and perhaps more importantly, it is free to attend!
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Good con. Wish I could attend to get my C&C in (and my True Dungeon too!).

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Day one was an astounding success! I ran the Missing Ring short I prepared for Domesday to a group that was mostly new to the game, and they all really enjoyed it! Some of them may be back tomorrow at my next session, if I have open seats!

BTW, Treebore, I totally noticed a immense foul up on my part on one of the cavern areas. I've filled out the adventure a bit more, and will fix that and get a revised version back to you ASAP.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

ArgoForg wrote:Day one was an astounding success! I ran the Missing Ring short I prepared for Domesday to a group that was mostly new to the game, and they all really enjoyed it! Some of them may be back tomorrow at my next session, if I have open seats!

BTW, Treebore, I totally noticed a immense foul up on my part on one of the cavern areas. I've filled out the adventure a bit more, and will fix that and get a revised version back to you ASAP.
Now that's what I and the KOTC/C&CS have been looking for - con-goers running C&C games and spreading the word. Treebore, you're in on this? Why didn't you tell me. We have to talk, cous. Let me know what else you've got in store so I lend my help in the effort. I'll support any and all convention C&C events and efforts if you let me know who is doing what.

Huzzah! Game on my friends. Wish I was there. :)

Brian Miller
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

miller,

My bad on not being more clear there-- I was giving Treebore a heads up because the adventure I ran is one that I've submitted to him for the Domesday book, and I noticed a pretty sizable error in it that I need to fix up. But I'm glad to help out the Society wherever I can! More details next post!

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Day Two was, if possible, an even bigger success than Day One!

I ran the Missing Ring scenario again, for a new group of players that had everywhere from passing to good familiarity with various editions of D&D, and everyone really had a blast! A couple things that really made the session great for me, personally:
  • One of my players, running an elf fighter, had some terrible luck with her d20 rolls. Like, almost historically bad luck. The entire session she rolled hideously low for attribute checks, attack rolls and the like, until it became almost a running joke. She went through three or four dice trying to change her luck to no avail. In the penultimate battle, the group had finally started to turn the tables after getting beaten on by the big bad, and with the other fighter's last mighty swing, had slashed and cut him down to only a couple hit points, and it was obvious he was on his last leg. And it was her elf fighter's turn. Everyone at the table (me included) was cheering her on, knowing that she'd had such rotten luck the whole game, and giving her the huge, supporting "You can do it! Finish him off!" cheers. And she took a deep breath and rolled her d20 again.

It fell on a 1. Crit fumble.

She hung her head. Now, on a roll of 20, I usually give the option to my players to choose one of three ways to decide the effect: Double their roll, go max damage + an extra die roll of damage, or a pick from the Paizo Critical Hit deck. On fumbles, unless there is an outcome that really fits the scenario (weapon drop, bowstring break, etc), I go ahead and just let them pull from the Crit Fumble deck. She sighs and draws a card from the deck and reads it aloud.

"You hit, but only do minimum damage."

She was holding a +1 dagger. Minimum damage, 2. And the big bad had exactly 2 hit points left. Everyone in the group let out an excited whoop as the elf fighter who couldn't hit anything the entire night killed the big bad with a critical fumble. It was one of the best con moments in a game I've run yet.
  • One of my other players was an old buddy I'd lost touch with since shortly after high school. He actually broke me in on AD&D 2E, and we ran years of games at his house for the longest, until time, distance and adult life pulled us away. As the scenario played out, I began to see that spark in his eyes that he used to get during our high school games when he was really into the game, and he asked me politely after the game if I might keep him in mind if I had an open seat at our (more or less) monthly C&C gaming session at my house.

We exchanged numbers, and later that night he texted me to tell me he was impressed enough by C&C that once he got home from the Con he looked it up and bought digital copies of the core books. I'm looking forward to introducing him to our monthly group and adding a fresh face to the growing Crusade!
  • Also-- WhosYerCon has exploded in the last couple years. I missed last year, and this year, I was blown away by how much bigger the con is than it's been in previous years. The Vendor hall is more expansive, although a lot of vendors are stationed in the hallways now, too. The halls of the Wyndham were absolutely crowded on Saturday, and finding a table in the free gaming area was nigh impossible. The con moved from the Clarion West to the Wyndham because they'd outgrown the space at the Clarion, and it almost looks like in the next couple years, if they have their current rate of growth, they may have to move again! That's really awesome for a Free Con!

Gunbunny
Mist Elf

Post by Gunbunny »

I'm going to have to try to get over there next year..this year it just wasn't in the books for me. GenCon seems way too crowded these days, sadly. No real excuse since I'm less than an hour away from the Con, and having recently found C&C, it's re-sparked the old-school gamer in me.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Gunbunny wrote:I'm going to have to try to get over there next year..this year it just wasn't in the books for me. GenCon seems way too crowded these days, sadly. No real excuse since I'm less than an hour away from the Con, and having recently found C&C, it's re-sparked the old-school gamer in me.
You really should! It's a wonderful Con, and although definitely growing, it's not nearly the walking or the crush that you'll find, for instance, in the Gen Con marketplace. I ran a couple games there last con, and given the success I had this year at Gen Con, I will probably be running a couple more there, as well. I can try to give the forum a heads up if you're looking to get your C&C on!