View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Near TPK and new monster 
Ulthal

Post Near TPK and new monster
I scared my group a bit and almost accomplished a TPK. Their cockiness has been replaced with a sense of vulnerablity. A quick summary of what happened to them:

Teleporting to a remote temple of Unklar the party decides to camp outside of the temple before going into it, a swarm of Manc bugs (thanks Serleran) destroys or neuters their magic items. This could have been avoided by the party going directly into the temple, where they had the chance of finsing a secret room that could be locked and was free of Manc bugs.

In the lower levels of the temple the party finds a ungern "hive" where ungern are breed by leeching energy from captured humanoids. They destroy the "materinity ward" where the newly hatched ungern are prepared for combat. After uncountering several patrols of ungern weilding pavis and greatbows they find the entrance to the main temple.

Guarding this entrance they meet an old character (player left game, he liked feats too much to play) who had been turned into a extraordinary undead which I call a Juggernaut for lack of a better name. This guy beat the crap out of the party and the session will commence in two weeks with the conclusion of the temple of unklar. Here is the monster stas fot the juggernaut.
Juggernaut

Size: Medium

HD: 16 (d12)

Move: 30 ft.

AC: 22

Attacks: 4 Slam (1d6) or by weapon (4 attacks)

Special: Damage Resistance, Deadly Strike, Rage, Spell Resistance, Turning Immunity, Final Spite

Saves: P

Int: Inferior

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

XP: 9000+16

These undead a created by torturing a live humanoid to death by slicing its ligaments and muscles and riveting hot plates of steel to its body. The extreme pain and torture is accompanied by dark magic and alchemy, the resulting monster has been modified to have four arms, minimal intelligence and an intense hatred for all life. They are employed as guards and shock troops by powerful necromancers and evil priests

Combat: The juggernaut is a vessel of pure destruction, its creators usually arm it with one weapon for each of its hands, favoring cleaving weapons such as axes or crushing weapons such as hammers or maces. They use their rage ability whenever possible, swinging their weapons with all four arms in a blinding furry of death.

Damage Resistance: A juggernauts scarred skin and metal plates make it more resistant to damage, they ignore 3 point of damage from all attacks.

Deadly Strike: The blows of a juggernaut are particularly devastating, they receive +6 damage to all melee attacks.

Rage: A juggernaut can enter a destructive rage, granting a +2 to all to hit and damage modifiers. While in rage the juggernaut receives a -2 AC penalty. The juggernaut can use this ability 3/day.

Spell Resistance: The large amount of magic required to create a juggernaut lingers making them especially resistant to magic, granting a Spell Resistance of 13.

Turning Immunity: Juggernauts are created by arcane and divine magic; their arcane origin makes them immune to turning by clerics.

Final Spite: When a juggernaut reaches 0 HP it explodes in a rage of dark miasma and carnage. All creatures within 60 ft. of the juggernaut when this happens suffer 5d6 damage. A successful Dexterity save reduces this damage in half.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Mon May 22, 2006 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

Post Re: Near TPK and new monster
Quote:
Combat_Kyle wrote:
I scared my group a bit and almost accomplished a TPK. Their cockiness has been replaced with a sense of vulnerablity. A quick summary of what happened to them:

Teleporting to a remote temple of Unklar the party decides to camp outside of the temple before going into it, a swarm of Manc bugs (thanks Serleran) destroys or neuters their magic items. This could have been avoided by the party going directly into the temple, where they had the chance of finsing a secret room that could be locked and was free of Manc bugs.

In the lower levels of the temple the party finds a ungern "hive" where ungern are breed by leeching energy from captured humanoids. They destroy the "materinity ward" where the newly hatched ungern are prepared for combat. After uncountering several patrols of ungern weilding pavis and greatbows they find the entrance to the main temple.

Guarding this entrance they meet an old character (player left game, he liked feats too much to play) who had been turned into a extraordinary undead which I call a Juggernaut for lack of a better name. This guy beat the crap out of the party and the session will commence in two weeks with the conclusion of the temple of unklar. Here is the monster stas fot the juggernaut.
Juggernaut

Size: Medium

HD: 16 (d12)

Move: 30 ft.

AC: 22

Attacks: 4 Slam (1d6) or by weapon (4 attacks)

Special: Damage Resistance, Deadly Strike, Rage, Spell Resistance, Turning Immunity, Final Spite

Saves: P

Int: Inferior

Alignment: Chaotic Evil

XP: 9000+16

These undead a created by torturing a live humanoid to death by slicing its ligaments and muscles and riveting hot plates of steel to its body. The extreme pain and torture is accompanied by dark magic and alchemy, the resulting monster has been modified to have four arms, minimal intelligence and an intense hatred for all life. They are employed as guards and shock troops by powerful necromancers and evil priests

Combat: The juggernaut is a vessel of pure destruction, its creators usually arm it with one weapon for each of its hands, favoring cleaving weapons such as axes or crushing weapons such as hammers or maces. They use their rage ability whenever possible, swinging their weapons with all four arms in a blinding furry of death.

Damage Resistance: A juggernauts scarred skin and metal plates make it more resistant to damage, they ignore 3 point of damage from all attacks.

Deadly Strike: The blows of a juggernaut are particularly devastating, they receive +6 damage to all melee attacks.

Rage: A juggernaut can enter a destructive rage, granting a +2 to all to hit and damage modifiers. While in rage the juggernaut receives a -2 AC penalty. The juggernaut can use this ability 3/day.

Spell Resistance: The large amount of magic required to create a juggernaut lingers making them especially resistant to magic, granting a Spell Resistance of 13.

Turning Immunity: Juggernauts are created by arcane and divine magic; their arcane origin makes them immune to turning by clerics.

Final Spite: When a juggernaut reaches 0 HP it explodes in a rage of dark miasma and carnage. All creatures within 60 ft. of the juggernaut when this happens suffer 5d6 damage. A successful Dexterity save reduces this damage in half.

Nice!! I will have to use both Serlerans new monster and your juggernaught in the next session. I have a gamer coming back to this next session. She joined the Military and went to Iraq. She has two weeks leave and has requested to play!! So everyone in the group is coming back (it's summer and they are all college students) for the session. I think afterwards I am going to give her my copy of the 2nd Printing and my Extra M&T. What the heck, she could probably use it over in the desert. Long moments of boredom followed by intense, short periods of activity. The Trolls are having their $10.00 sale soon, so I will pick both back up as we need them for gaming.

-George Washington

Mon May 22, 2006 4:11 pm
Ulthal

Now ladies and gentlemen is the definition of a good friend. As a former marine myself, I know RPG stuff will get heavy use. Oh and thanks for the compliment.

-Grikis Valmorgen, Paladin

The beginnings of my homebrew campaign world and info for my play by chat game:
http://kbdekker.googlepages.com/home

Mon May 22, 2006 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]