Castles & Crusades What's Next

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Castles & Crusades What's Next

Post by alcyone »

As far as Aufstrag goes, I wouldn't feel cheated by an "Aufstrag construction kit"... some areas detailed, and lots of tables and information about how to build your own Aufstrag.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

1) Tome of the Unclean.
Like everyone else, I think this one actually hits me nicely in the sweet spot, but I could very well see you wanting to tie this in with a potential Planescape book, too.
2) Adventurers Backpack.
This one is one I would really be looking most forward to. I love the rules base for C&C, and the idea that it's about time to expand on it with new character classes and the like is a draw for me. Since I don't see y'all going all 3.5/PF with the new splatbook every 6 months, the CKG and this would be welcome.
3) Planescape (untitled).
I'm a huge planes fan, although to be honest, they don't see a lot of play in any campaign I've run.

I'll be completely honest-- if it says C&C on it (and it isn't necessarily a Codex), there's a pretty darned good chance I will be picking it up. I dig adventures of almost any sort, although I'm usually a bigger fan of the larger ones that give you a lot of bang for the buck. Aufstrag will be a must-buy for me, natch.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If there is a book on planes, hopefully there will be a section for utter randomness. I imagine the Chaotic ones, specifically, might change and bend at their own whim... sort of like a cackling madman on acid.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Troll Lord wrote:
Rigon wrote: That's how I see it. Of all the things you have listed, I most would be interested in the Adventurerer's Backpack, Aufstrag, both short and medium length adventures. After that, everything else.

R-
Rigon,

So the ADB is top for you. Aufstrag part of it and the adventures right in there. I've mused over combining the adventures into one book. But for me adventures are hard. I'm not fond of the industry standard...layout and what not...and we've been working to change that for a long time. Placing maps for instance. Its always a pain..they are never where I need them when running a game.

Steve
I am already receiving the TotU via subscription, so for me, that is already "released," sort of, so doesn't register as a need, as I already have it. That moves ABP up to my top spot.

I agree with you on the layout of mods and map placements. I wonder if you could add maps to a module as something not bound in the module. Like, the module has the background info, the set up, the room descriptions, treasures, etc, but no maps in the actual module book. Those would be printed individually and included with the book in a shrink wrapped package. If that makes sense.

Or make the maps available for download as a free PDF so we wouldn't have to rip the maps out of the books.

Or something like that to make the maps more accessible for the CK.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:
Rigon wrote: That's how I see it. Of all the things you have listed, I most would be interested in the Adventurerer's Backpack, Aufstrag, both short and medium length adventures. After that, everything else.

R-
Rigon,

So the ADB is top for you. Aufstrag part of it and the adventures right in there. I've mused over combining the adventures into one book. But for me adventures are hard. I'm not fond of the industry standard...layout and what not...and we've been working to change that for a long time. Placing maps for instance. Its always a pain..they are never where I need them when running a game.

Steve
I am already receiving the TotU via subscription, so for me, that is already "released," sort of, so doesn't register as a need, as I already have it. That moves ABP up to my top spot.

I agree with you on the layout of mods and map placements. I wonder if you could add maps to a module as something not bound in the module. Like, the module has the background info, the set up, the room descriptions, treasures, etc, but no maps in the actual module book. Those would be printed individually and included with the book in a shrink wrapped package. If that makes sense.

Or make the maps available for download as a free PDF so we wouldn't have to rip the maps out of the books.

R-
Put the maps on the inside of the cover, and don't staple the covers to the module. If you have too many maps to fit on the cover, print a second "cover" (doesn't have to be on the cardstock, but you cans till do so if cost won't be a killer). Some famous 1E modules were done this way, and I always wondered why they stopped doing it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:As far as Aufstrag goes, I wouldn't feel cheated by an "Aufstrag construction kit"... some areas detailed, and lots of tables and information about how to build your own Aufstrag.
I like it!
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote:Then just give yourself a narrow focus outline, and only write for that. Like I said above, start with the great Tree, then work a way down to the great city, making it clear there are MANY other ways they could get down there as well, then just do the city, giving us the write ups of the major players, factions, etc... and maybe an adventure or two to illustrate how to run in the city. While making it clear there are hundreds, if not thousands, of side location, around and below the main city.
I have to start from the bottom as that was what was promised in the Kickstarter. So levels 1-5 are about (1-3 are done).

What I'm going to end up doing is a brief background to the level, who ruled/rules and what its about. Then have pete map the hell out of it, but I'm going to end up only focusing on certain areas.

Leaving the rest to the CKs.

Now the Trenches, I think your approach is spot on. If I recall correctly there i was a section of the old AD&D DMs Guide that gave yo a way to make dungeons by rolling them up. It will be something like that as the Trenches are insane.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rhuvein wrote:Aufstrag will be Steve's:

pièce de résistance

or

magnum opus

or

tour de force

or

masterpiece

or

chef-d'œuvre

etc.

Do it! :D
Or the road block! hahaha

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

serleran wrote:Would it be possible to obtain a license / permission to develop some kind of mobile app for C&C?

The untapped market might be the one that paywalls the most.

Also, I would greatly interested in a mobile game based on Aufstrag.
drop me a line at steve at trolllord.com!

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Go0gleplex wrote:The backpack is the only thing up that interests me at the moment. Though mention of the OA and Chinese & Japanese books would be of major interest to me. :)
Those other two are on the docket, the Codex series. And Jason has said he wants to write the OA, which I'm game if he is! 2017 I'm guessing. Be nice to bring them all out together.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rhuvein wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:And Jason Vey has voiced the desire to write the Oriental Adventurers book. SO that is on the docket!

Steve

Steve
Fab. I'll buy this in a second!

And since it has 2 "Steves", then I know it's gonna happen!

Woot yeah, well done!

Trollzah!

:mrgreen:
I cast really poor mirror image spell! hahaah

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Captain_K wrote:Please do not change the core rules, only add to or build on.... I do not want new rules, please expand and add, but build upon your foundation.
Absolutely nothing in the core will change.

It will be new optional classes, etc...in fact everything will be optional.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

gabriellyon wrote:What would the difference be between Oriental Adventures and say the Codex Nippon?
Well speaking utterly out of turn and from the hip...the Codex series would have only mythology, spells associated with the gods, monsters etc. The OA would have new classes, abilities associated with those classes, equipment, spells etc.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

dachda wrote:I like it all. The order you presented the upcoming material is okay by me too. Though the Adventurer's Backpack, and the Gods and Monsters of Aihrde are at the top of my list.
Then we are thinking alike...because of all those things, I would rather be working on Gods and Monsters of Aihrde! hahaha

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

pawndream wrote:Tome of the Unclean: Yes. Demons and devils are a significant part of many fantasy rpg campaigns and sorely missing from the C&C portfolio.

Adventurers Backpack: A mish-mash book of optional rules is not that appealing to me (I like simple rules contained within a single book), but I know a big draw of C&C is the toolkit approach to the game. For this reason, such a book would probably some strong appeal to existing players, but won't necessarily draw in new players. Basically, this book will primarily appeal to long-time C&C players looking for new rule options.

Adventures of all flavors: Megadungeons are cool in theory, but I think most of these type of products sit on shelves, unplayed. Aufstrag sounds like the sort of thing that would takes years of game time to go through, and in my experience, most campaigns do not last long enough to see something like this carried through to completion. Short adventures are okay, but as others mentioned, they need to be modular, easy to run without a ton of investment and pretty fantastic to garner attention. C&C is not really hurting on published adventures either. There are already a lot of these already out there.

Plane Book: Could be cool, but maybe not something that will see that much use at the table. Nice to have, not a must-have.

Gods and Monsters of Aihrde: Niche product supporting the flagship campaign setting. Nice to have, not must-have.

Inzae: Even more niche than everything else. Is there a strong demand for more Inzae stuff? Are people clamoring for this setting? What new ideas does it offer than are not currently available in Aihrde or Haunted Highlands?
I have no idea why I'm surprised about the need for demons and devils. Sometimes my head stays stuck in that sand bar...

As for Inzae, not in recent years. It was popular way back when, but it was never supported like Aihrde (mainly because Davis left company as full time staff). But the setting is cool enough that I thank people would enjoy playing it. Be a nice fantasy break from Aihrde...which is a little more like classic fantasy. Also, I'm pretty sure that Inzae will be a SIEGE Engine game as it has a bunch of its own classes based on the world etc.....all based on the SIEGE Engine....but a lot more bloody. But I'm not sure on that yet, I have to look more at what Davis has in mind.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Aergraith wrote:As far as Aufstrag goes, I wouldn't feel cheated by an "Aufstrag construction kit"... some areas detailed, and lots of tables and information about how to build your own Aufstrag.
Then you'll be pleased. Level 1 is pretty detailed, with some open areas, Level two more detail, less open, Level three about the same as one, but Level four is where it kicks in to more open and less detail. I have the major powers areas laid out, but the rest is yours.

The only problem there, for me personally, is that it requires making Wandering Monster Charts and I can't ever do those to my own satisfaction.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

ArgoForg wrote:
1) Tome of the Unclean.
Like everyone else, I think this one actually hits me nicely in the sweet spot, but I could very well see you wanting to tie this in with a potential Planescape book, too.
2) Adventurers Backpack.
This one is one I would really be looking most forward to. I love the rules base for C&C, and the idea that it's about time to expand on it with new character classes and the like is a draw for me. Since I don't see y'all going all 3.5/PF with the new splatbook every 6 months, the CKG and this would be welcome.
3) Planescape (untitled).
I'm a huge planes fan, although to be honest, they don't see a lot of play in any campaign I've run.

I'll be completely honest-- if it says C&C on it (and it isn't necessarily a Codex), there's a pretty darned good chance I will be picking it up. I dig adventures of almost any sort, although I'm usually a bigger fan of the larger ones that give you a lot of bang for the buck. Aufstrag will be a must-buy for me, natch.
I hear you and Tome is really getting the call to action.

And like you I LOVE the old Manual of the Planes, but damned if I ever used it. They would plane travel and I would just make stuff up on the fly. :roll:

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

serleran wrote:If there is a book on planes, hopefully there will be a section for utter randomness. I imagine the Chaotic ones, specifically, might change and bend at their own whim... sort of like a cackling madman on acid.
That's a great idea! But would require a mountain of charts. Be fun as hell to play though!

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rigon wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:

R-
Rigon,

Steve

R-
We are trying to make maps online, so you can have access to them. But with the story bound in them. Its part of our plans with the TLGportal. Which I'm still told I can't open up for you guys to start poking around..... :(

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Treebore wrote: Put the maps on the inside of the cover, and don't staple the covers to the module. If you have too many maps to fit on the cover, print a second "cover" (doesn't have to be on the cardstock, but you cans till do so if cost won't be a killer). Some famous 1E modules were done this way, and I always wondered why they stopped doing it.
Detached covers or hand outs are the only way to do that big maps in a print product really. The only problem is that you have to shrink wrap them for retail stores as the guts fall out. Its a damned if you do damned if you don't type thing.

But the tlgportal....... :mrgreen:

Steve

joneshoward
Mist Elf

Post by joneshoward »

It may be a little late to add my 2 cents, but I guess I'll do it anyway. I'm a long time fan but only recently took to posting on the forum.

Of all these discussed products, I'm most curious about the Adventurer's Backpack.

I must be in the minority, but I've never been interested in demons or devils, and while mega dungeons always seem cool in concept my group always loses interest in a dungeon unless it's a small to medium one they can knock out in a couple of adventures. After I invested in the Barrow Maze and convinced my group to try it and had the experience fall flat after a little while, I've sworn off of them.

So, setting and rule stuff for me, the more of it I can lay hands on, the better. Keep up the great work!
"Who dies first?"
--Conan, "The Phoenix on the Sword"

http://www.howardandrewjones.com

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Trolllord,

1. Tome of the Unclean: If this is a Kickstarter have an Angles Book as a reward. I would recommend not using Christian names for various Demons, but come up with different types of demons with fictional names.

2. Adventurer's Backpack: Based on the list you provided I would want this product most of all. based upon the information in the Blackbox set there needs to be a lot of consideration concerning balance with core classes. I do feel some of the core classes are underpowered, however via house rules a CK can make adjustments as needed.

3. Planescape or manual of the Planes: I do not need this, but other may. I would purchase it on sale.

4. Asian Codices and Oriental Adventures: I would like these items most of all.

5. C&C Board Game: You did not mention this item, but it is what I would like to see.

JLL

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

lobocastle wrote: 5. C&C Board Game: You did not mention this item, but it is what I would like to see.

JLL

I like it!!

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Troll Lord wrote:
slimykuotoan wrote:Black and white text options, or personalised editions of products. I can't read the redish text, so I have to pass on all new core releases, and that's frustrating for me. :(
Slimykuotaon....I just got your name. ahhaah that's just sad, years and years you've been posting and I just realized...good lord someone dropped me on my head too often.....

But we can accommodate you on the black and white text options. It won't be hard back, but if you want something along those lines, just drop us a note! We can fire up the presses!

Steve
Steve - I would like this as well. It's a throwback for me to the AD&D PHB. It's a book I could use and abuse. My players loved the 4th edition printing of the books with the artwork and style. A heavier paper that could be written on, etc. As a gamer, I'm all about the functionality of the book over the glossy paper with shading, symbols, watermarks, etc. I think the simple and clean design could remind players of days of long ago.

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

Troll Lord wrote:
Captain_K wrote:Please do not change the core rules, only add to or build on.... I do not want new rules, please expand and add, but build upon your foundation.
Absolutely nothing in the core will change.

It will be new optional classes, etc...in fact everything will be optional.

Steve
I appreciate that as well. It's one of the reasons I prefer C&C.

Other systems had new classes that overpowered the core "initial" classes. On the flipside, there's a ton of nice material that forum members have created and seems well balanced.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Troll Lord wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:
Troll Lord wrote:1) Short encounters. 1-2 page encounters that can be dropped into any game. These will go well with the TLG Portal we are working now (news forthcoming soon).

2) Short 12 page adventures, something like The Outpost. Quick, dirtly ugly adventures that aren't very complex. Save the complext things for monsters like...

3) Aufstrag. I'm terrified of writing this. Its gigantic. Luckily Peter and I are working well on these first five levels. He maps things I envision, without me telling him, so I can write off his maps as easy as send him sketches. But not sure when I'll tackle the rest of this.
I like the idea of short encounters and shorter modules, but I want shorter material that is spectacular. Stuff I couldn't write or think of on my own. Something that blows me away with its creativity. A 2 page encounter with a generic hag in the woods isn't going to cut it. Been there, done that. You need to make the hag encounter special.

I personally don't have the attention span to run other people's material for very long, so anything over 12 pages is never going to get used by me as a practical matter. Megadungeons are completely out of the question. I want something short and awesome that I can insert into my campaign on a night when I just can't come up with anything good on my own. Give me 3-4 hours of content and I will get my act together with original material the following play session. I love the idea of a published megadungeon, but I'll never get around to running one. As I've come to terms with that, I've also realized it's a waste of my money to buy them.

All of that is just my preferences. I think you obviously need to release Aufstrag to complete the A series, but I probably won't end up buying it. I bet a lot of other people will, though. I just want short bursts of amazing creativity from the Trolls to help me out when I run my campaign.
Buttmonkey,

Aufstrag is inevitable. I just have to get my head around it. But the ABP will go first...well after Tome...but I hear you on the adventure shorts. Something new under the sun...a hard and not so hard order. Easier to do when tied to Aihrde.

What about that, short adventures loosely tied to Aihrde?

Steve
Short adventures loosely tied to Aihrde might get me to pick up the new Codex. We talked at Gary Con about trying plot point campaigns like Savage Worlds uses (as an example, check out 50 Fathoms). I think plot point campaigns based in Aihrde could be awesome. Take a small section that hasn't been fleshed out and build the outlines of a mini-campaign out of it. I would be all over that. Aihrde is so vast I can't imagine you would ever run out of areas to explore. Even if you don't go with a full-on plot point campaign, I'd be interested in either some sandbox material set in Aihrde or short adventures based in Aihrde (especially if they are independent of the A series so that they can truly stand alone).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

joneshoward
Mist Elf

Post by joneshoward »

I love the SW Plot Point campaigns. And 50 Fathoms is a great example of one.

I'd also love to see more adventures in the old Traveller format, where a problem is presented by a client (or situation) and then several possibilities are presented for how things unfold. A thumbnail sketch of an adventure with setting, monster, and motivation suggested... great for experienced game masters or, maybe in the future, Castle Keepers.
"Who dies first?"
--Conan, "The Phoenix on the Sword"

http://www.howardandrewjones.com

MaxKaladin
Mist Elf

Post by MaxKaladin »

Buttmonkey wrote: Short adventures loosely tied to Aihrde might get me to pick up the new Codex. We talked at Gary Con about trying plot point campaigns like Savage Worlds uses (as an example, check out 50 Fathoms). I think plot point campaigns based in Aihrde could be awesome. Take a small section that hasn't been fleshed out and build the outlines of a mini-campaign out of it. I would be all over that. Aihrde is so vast I can't imagine you would ever run out of areas to explore. Even if you don't go with a full-on plot point campaign, I'd be interested in either some sandbox material set in Aihrde or short adventures based in Aihrde (especially if they are independent of the A series so that they can truly stand alone).
That sounds like a great idea to me. I've been looking to do something in Aihrde for the first time but I'm lacking inspiration at the moment. My group is coming off of running several Pathfinder adventure paths just now and I'm extremely dissatisfied with having so much set in stone, so to speak. An outline that's easier for me to read, tweak and adapt would be ideal for me. Basically a frame to hang my own stuff off of in ways that is harder to do with fully fleshed out adventures.

Persimmon
Ulthal

Post by Persimmon »

Troll Lord wrote:
gabriellyon wrote:Ok well here is my votes in order of preference

1. Adventurers Backpack
I will get the most use out of this in the beginning

2.Codex Asia
I know that nothing like this is on your list but it would be very valuable to me for future games. Either China or Japan as a source would work though both would be great

3.Planescape for Aihrde
This would be really cool.

4. Tom of the Unclean
I don't know who Tom is or why he doesn't bath but hey, everyone to their own thing you know?
Count this as another vote for Asia! I really enjoyed aspects of the original Oriental Adventures but never liked the later stuff when they tried to merge it with LT5R. It would be cool to see it in C&C, which I've just switched to from 1st edition AD&D. But as a professor of Asian history, I'll admit that I can be snarky about my Asian fantasy. You need the right person to do it.

I think the ADB is a must now! :)

Actually Brian Young has notes for the Asia mythos books...two I think, Chinese and Japanese. And Jason Vey has voiced the desire to write the Oriental Adventurers book. SO that is on the docket!

Tom is probably Tom Tullis from Fat Dragon Games! My friend and nemisis! He has horrible taste in music, so I have to school him once in awhile.

Steve

Steve
Behind closed eyes, realize your sight....

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

C&C Oriental would be cool - if it could be remembered that Chinese is not Japanese is not Korean etc. Similar, yes - but with enough significant differences to keep the different cultures at each other's throats and to keep historians fascinated for generations. And gamers confused any time the GM wants to hurl the PCs out of their comfort zones.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.