Advantages . . . in the CKG. Anyone using them?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Advantages . . . in the CKG. Anyone using them?

Post by Tadhg »

I haven't used them but I'm thinking about doing so.

Heritage (race)

Combat:
a. melee
b. defensive core
c. ranged attack

General

Magical

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rhu. 8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Advantages . . . in the CKG. Anyone using them?

Post by slimykuotoan »

We use them pretty extensively in our games, and they've really added to to overall fun factor.

Thumbs up from moi.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

slimykuotoan wrote:We use them pretty extensively in our games, and they've really added to to overall fun factor.

Thumbs up from moi.
Good to know.

Thanks for your prompt response, Sir Slimy!

How youse doin' up dere in da frozen lands of da north?

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Meh, surviving.

I'm in Kayolan's northern campaign, so my characyer's chill coincides with that of my own. :)
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

While I can recognize a certain appeal, I do not use them. I prefer to make characters from the ground, no hard rules needed. Just tell me what you want and I'll make it happen. That is, of course, a difficult proposition to put into a rule book...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

slimykuotoan wrote:Meh, surviving.

I'm in Kayolan's northern campaign, so my characyer's chill coincides with that of my own. :)
Heh, it was -25 on Monday and I felt like I was up there in the frozen tundra with The Mounties and frost giants.

Today, I was naked and sunbathing on my patio cause the temp went up to 14 above. I noticed one of my lady neighbors using her binocs on me.

Luckily, I deployed a prop on my nether regions (you know, cold weather shrinkage is worst than the water wet kind)!

;)

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

serleran wrote:While I can recognize a certain appeal, I do not use them. I prefer to make characters from the ground, no hard rules needed. Just tell me what you want and I'll make it happen. That is, of course, a difficult proposition to put into a rule book...
Yes and no . . I guess, depending on how one wants to rule book stuff. Only meaning that some CKs will want to have the advantages laid out and ready when game time comes.

But, I like your approach. I would do the same for some of them.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Rhuvein wrote:Today, I was naked and sunbathing on my patio cause the temp went up to 14 above. I noticed one of my lady neighbors using her binocs on me.

Luckily, I deployed a prop on my nether regions (you know, cold weather shrinkage is worst than the water wet kind)!

;)
lmao

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, a couple of CK's use them.

Edit: No I am not one of them. I still do it the way I always do.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I've never used them. About all I use from the CKG are luck and hero points.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

I use them in both of my campaigns. The players really like them, especially "Blessed Healer" and "Apprentice Bolt" for spellcasters and "Sharpshooter" for those who like to use ranged weapons...

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I use them extensively in my campaigns, but admittedly I had to rewrite them for my games to add some much needed clarity. My thoughts regarding the powerful nature of the human 3rd prime convinced me that every non-human character was entitled to one heritage advantage for free when creating their characters. I do not use the rules for advantage progression in the CKG because that makes the classes that gain them at 1st and 2nd level a bit unbalanced IMO.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Many thanks for all the replies.

I'll probably incorporate a few of the lesser one and see how they play out.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

I enjoy feats in all their iterations. I mainly use advantages to allow players to swap out class abilities, for example, a fighter can take cleave instead of combat dominance.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

jdizzy001 wrote:I enjoy feats in all their iterations. I mainly use advantages to allow players to swap out class abilities, for example, a fighter can take cleave instead of combat dominance.
I see that the CKG says you can stack the bonuses of both if the CK wishes. I'll assume you don't allow that 'cause the fighter would be too, what? Uber!!! :P

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Omote wrote:I use them extensively in my campaigns, but admittedly I had to rewrite them for my games to add some much needed clarity. My thoughts regarding the powerful nature of the human 3rd prime convinced me that every non-human character was entitled to one heritage advantage for free when creating their characters. I do not use the rules for advantage progression in the CKG because that makes the classes that gain them at 1st and 2nd level a bit unbalanced IMO.

~O
Interesting.

I allow demi-humans to have a 3rd prime. So, I will be careful when assigning or allowing the advantages and yeah, I didn't plan to use the progression table as presented. I'll just make my own decision as to when I'll give the ads.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I much prefer my method of having them earn them through play. That way, over all, there are far fewer, and based on how risky they are willing to play, will determine how fast/slow they earn them.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hmm, another thing ~ they call them advantages, but many have penalties or trade-off. So then some are not so advantageous, in which case I'm will drop the penalty or trade off.

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

Rhuvein wrote:
jdizzy001 wrote:I enjoy feats in all their iterations. I mainly use advantages to allow players to swap out class abilities, for example, a fighter can take cleave instead of combat dominance.
I see that the CKG says you can stack the bonuses of both if the CK wishes. I'll assume you don't allow that 'cause the fighter would be too, what? Uber!!! :P
Lol, no, the thought never crossed my mind.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

I use them in one of the play by posts I run, but am not using them in my face-to-face game.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I use them. I allow advantages to replace class abilities and give advantages at levels 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, and 21.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I've been debating using advantages. I just don't want to make my players' characters too over-powered.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Tylermo,

I like the use of advantages. I do not want classes as strong as 3e but I do want them a little more powerful than PHB. I would recommend you control the amount you give out and limit the advantages a player can pick from.

JLL

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

lobocastle wrote:Tylermo,

I like the use of advantages. I do not want classes as strong as 3e but I do want them a little more powerful than PHB. I would recommend you control the amount you give out and limit the advantages a player can pick from.

JLL
Yep, agree. Don't have to give them all.

In my game, I offered the players 1 out of say 5 or 6 for some advantages. Others were not offered (yet).

:P