It's coming soon!

This forum is to discuss TLGs crowdfunding projects.
(NOTE: Until sorted, it will have legacy, non-crowdfunding threads in)
timburns
Ulthal

It's coming soon!

Post by timburns »

A new Kickstarter will be launched soon, this time for a Book of Familiars(title pending) for 5e!

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: It's coming soon!

Post by Treebore »

Hmmm... interesting idea, but I already own the D20 and C&C versions of this book. Plus, while I like 5E, its not a system I run or want to play anymore. So while I will still post about it to the gaming communities I belong to, I personally won't be backing this KS.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Ooh, neat. 5e’s familiar game is a little weak, and this is definitely an opportunity for improvement.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Please allow the playable races to become familiars to others. I would like a dragonborn pet but would not like to play one.

timburns
Ulthal

Post by timburns »

Here's a little excerpt from the Kickstarter of just a few things you can expect: In 5th Edition Familiars & Companions you will see:

The Assassin's Reaper, that agent of death that harvests the souls of his victims, now has a name and a place at his side. Familiars too may serve the agent of death, from the raven to the shadow mastiff, the assassin is no longer alone on the field of adventure.

Barbarian's familiars are those of the warrior born, but more they dwell in the Totem's and Animal Spirits. These guides can furnish aid where no aid exists!

The Bard need not dwell in their own verse, but now can turn to their Muse, a creature gifted to enhance their tales of adventure with songs that stun, whisper, charm and more. Beyond the muse lie the mercurial familiars!

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Hahahah!

serleran wrote:Please allow the playable races to become familiars to others. I would like a dragonborn pet but would not like to play one.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

This all sounds really cool. Will it use a balancing feature similar to the original?
timburns wrote:Here's a little excerpt from the Kickstarter of just a few things you can expect: In 5th Edition Familiars & Companions you will see:

The Assassin's Reaper, that agent of death that harvests the souls of his victims, now has a name and a place at his side. Familiars too may serve the agent of death, from the raven to the shadow mastiff, the assassin is no longer alone on the field of adventure.

Barbarian's familiars are those of the warrior born, but more they dwell in the Totem's and Animal Spirits. These guides can furnish aid where no aid exists!

The Bard need not dwell in their own verse, but now can turn to their Muse, a creature gifted to enhance their tales of adventure with songs that stun, whisper, charm and more. Beyond the muse lie the mercurial familiars!

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Ooh, neat. 5e’s familiar game is a little weak, and this is definitely an opportunity for improvement.
That was our thoughts exactly. I'm actually the one working on the 5e book for this and am pretty excited about bringing familiars, animal companions and the like back to 5e!

T1Hound
Hlobane Orc

Post by T1Hound »

While I think there's a great 5E market and may be great for TLG, I wouldn't be interested, wouldn't back it, and probably be against it as a DM of 5E (which I'm not).

As being against it as a 5E DM, I've played thru 1E, 2E, 3.x and Pathfinder. I have 2E Complete Handbooks of every race and class, 3.x materials from WOTC thru Mongoose, etc., and the same with Pathfinder materials. As a DM and a player of the other editions, I'm tired of players (and even as a DM and Player) bringing books to the table with again more content that I have to read (or worse surprised when a player brings out something new I missed during a game). In my opinion, a lot of the new material off balances game play especially if adding benefits and not enough hindrances vs. the core classes. All that is why I like C&C and the Siege system. It's a small universe of materials with really great user content (props to all on the forums sharing ideas).

All that said 5E is hot and as a business person, I think you need to go there.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

And backed it on Kickstarter!

I agree, keeping the rules expansions on 5e minimal and tight has been a real benefit to the game. 3e and 4e were beset with so many rules, and things got very broken at the end of each.

If someone were to force me to return to either of those editions, I would mandate core three books only.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:And backed it on Kickstarter!

I agree, keeping the rules expansions on 5e minimal and tight has been a real benefit to the game. 3e and 4e were beset with so many rules, and things got very broken at the end of each.

If someone were to force me to return to either of those editions, I would mandate core three books only.
And to be clear, we are trying to keep this very focused. The idea is to provide new archetypes, paths, colleges, etc. that allow players to bring familiars into the game. We're not looking to blast your games with a buttload of additional generic options. This one is all about familiars and companions. We're just covering each class in detail and providing the DM a wealth of new material in terms of new animals, monsters, spells and magic items.

I'll be honest; I also abhorred the option bloat that killed D&D 3.x and currently plagues Pathfinder. I'm looking here to expand on existing choices rather than blasting new ones. I'm not sure if that makes sense at all. It's also more than possible I'm rationalizing myself here, but I'm actually really jazzed about the stuff available in this book. I just wrapped up the revisions on the bard chapter and man, I want to play a bard with the College of the Muse.

I think what's a unique opportunity here is that in the new SRD there's only a single path for each class, and only one background total. I'd kind of like to see us add to the availability of open content in that way to give people who are just working off of the freely available stuff more to play with. That being said, I'm not actually in charge of declaring OGC on this so I'm not sure what will be added to the "canon" of 5e open content.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

New magic items too, awesome!
The Grey Elf wrote: And to be clear, we are trying to keep this very focused. The idea is to provide new archetypes, paths, colleges, etc. that allow players to bring familiars into the game. We're not looking to blast your games with a buttload of additional generic options. This one is all about familiars and companions. We're just covering each class in detail and providing the DM a wealth of new material in terms of new animals, monsters, spells and magic items.