Thoughts on Brimstone RPG and Gaxmoor PDF/map?

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Treebore
Mogrl

Thoughts on Brimstone RPG and Gaxmoor PDF/map?

Post by Treebore »

So what are your thoughts on the new Brimstone SIEGE based RPG the Trolls are currently running the KS for?

For those of us who backed the Gaxmoor KS, what do you think of the PDF and digital map? Did you get the updated version today?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Thoughts on Brimstone RPG and Gaxmoor PDF/map?

Post by Go0gleplex »

Not overly excited about Brimstone. Not my cuppa for subject matter and all that.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Go0gleplex wrote:Not overly excited about Brimstone. Not my cuppa for subject matter and all that.

Same for me. Not interested in an RPG for a comic I have zero interest in. Plus I kinda think the Trolls need to slow down the new Kickstarters until some of the stuff I'm still waiting on is out.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I wasn't interested in it either until I read some of the comics.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

As for Gaxmoor, the new one is a heck of a lot better than the old one. Probably simply due to the stat blocks being so much smaller, so we get so much more adventure material.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I didn't back Gaxmoor and not really interested in Brimestone.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

I have NO idea as I have never even heard of it before.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The redone maps look very good.

Unfortunately, they removed most of the original artwork which was fantastic and gave the module an incredible ancient and realistic feeling.

The new artwork is meh to OK. :|

The Gaxmoor module is fantastic and I was happy to be a backer.

[It doesn't look like they put in the named statues from the reward pledges. Not sure what's up, but I emailed Tim and Steve]
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Cool.

Steve just emailed me.

He will get the named statues in before it goes to print!!!

Woot!

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice Job Rhu. Get those fat cats right!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Omote wrote:Nice Job Rhu. Get those fat cats right!

~O
Whoa.

You probably know this ~ Fat Cats was a bar in Lake Geneva that The Trolls and some of us would hang out at in the evenings after the LGGC would close for the night.

IIRC, the bar went out of business.

Looking forward to the Gaxmoor book!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Rhuvein wrote:...the bar went out of business.
Trolls. 'Course. :lol:

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I have ordered Brimstone because I like to see new classes and abilities. I also think the setting could be interesting. When I get Brimstone, I will look it over and incorporate some of the classes and abilities into my C&C game. In addition, based on experience with Amazing Adentures; it gave me added ideas to convert fictional works such as Shannara by Tery Brooks into C&C. I expect to datamine Brimstone and get the same results.

JLL

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I kind of wish they'd focus, but well, that might turn into CnC 2.0 so possibly this is for the better.. they got to keep busy and they got to turn out stuff we'll buy... so what is their business model if the rules stay constant???
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Captain_K wrote:I kind of wish they'd focus, but well, that might turn into CnC 2.0 so possibly this is for the better.. they got to keep busy and they got to turn out stuff we'll buy... so what is their business model if the rules stay constant???
Adventures and settings. So far over all I am very happy with their additional systems, Star SIEGE, Harvesters, Victorious, and AA. Plus Brimstone has a lot of really good looking art.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Treebore wrote:So what are your thoughts on the new Brimstone SIEGE based RPG the Trolls are currently running the KS for?

For those of us who backed the Gaxmoor KS, what do you think of the PDF and digital map? Did you get the updated version today?
No interest in the Brimstone RPG. The artwork looks cool and it might be a great comic book, but there is nothing about this KS that makes me want to pledge. I like TLG, but already pledged on other projects that will likely end up sitting on a bookshelf, unplayed.

Only so many games one can actually play, unfortunately.

Nonetheless, I hope it does well and the resulting products bring enjoyment to its backers.

gabriellyon
Hlobane Orc

Post by gabriellyon »

I am another that just doesn't have any interest in the Brimstone world. I am very happy with everything I have seen with Gaxmoor though. I am so very very pleased that I joined the KS for it. The next project by the trolls that would get immediate cash from me would be an asian codex.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

I'm not interested in Brimstone at all. Gaxmoor seems of interest to me purely from an adventure standpoint.

-mM

Fortenbras
Skobbit

Post by Fortenbras »

No interest at all.

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

I seccond an Asian Codex.

JLL

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Conceptually, I think the comic-book RPG has some feet. Its not completely overdone... yet. It is played, but its not played out. Hard to judge whether I would like it or not, considering I have no knowledge of the source and have to assume based on similar ideas... which is a bad thing to do. Preview would go a long way, I think.

As for Gaxmoor. Of course there is interest in that.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

I'd totally get behind an asian codex. And I'll probably pick up Gaxmoor sometime when I have a bit of spending money.

I don't have a problem with comics as a base for a spin-off. It's entirely the subject matter/setting for me as noted earlier.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

exoknight
Ungern

Post by exoknight »

Passing on Brimstone kickstarter. I have quite a few unfulfilled kicktarters from the Trolls right now. Going to wait until some of them start being completed.
Check out my Blog.
Monster's Lair: A blog about uncommon creatures from OD&D to D20.
http://creaturespotlight.blogspot.com/

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

exoknight wrote:Passing on Brimstone kickstarter. I have quite a few unfulfilled kicktarters from the Trolls right now. Going to wait until some of them start being completed.
Yeah, I'm waiting on Gaxmoor, Aihrde, Victorious and the Codices myself. They've already fulfilled Amazing Adventures, the 3 sisters, Haunted Highlands, etc...

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Treebore wrote:
exoknight wrote:Passing on Brimstone kickstarter. I have quite a few unfulfilled kicktarters from the Trolls right now. Going to wait until some of them start being completed.
Yeah, I'm waiting on Gaxmoor, Aihrde, Victorious and the Codices myself. They've already fulfilled Amazing Adventures, the 3 sisters, Haunted Highlands, etc...
Except the 3 Sisters isn't fulfilled completely yet........

Yea having over $900 into six different Kickstarters has slowed my interest in Brimstone. It looks kind of neat and sure the art work would be awesome but I just can't justify to myself to keep putting out money before I see product. I am not saying I doubt they would deliver but having this many kickstarters this quickly (currently it averages out to one every 2 months but in reality its higher if you take a smaller portion of the year).

Heck I passed on Victorious for the same reason....but still bowed down to the Codexes and Classic Monster and overruled my own personal rule of to many kickstarters before get the full Pledge.

EDIT: While I love a good kickstarter it does feel like its being abused a little too......personal opinion....but I feel that way.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

TLG is basically using Kickstarters as a pre-order mechanism to determine how much demand there is for various product lines, without exposing themselves to too much risk. I don't fault them for this business model at all. It makes sense, especially seeing that distribution channels are a lot different now as compared to the way it worked in the past.

It's a win-win. The company gets to field products that might not otherwise see the light of day and interested players get to play that game when it is released. KS serves as a great way to match supply with demand, rather than using a Field of Dreams mentality, i.e., "build it and they will come", to determine market interest.

Great business model for a small, independent company with a proven track record of fulfilling Kickstarter pledges.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Rhuvein wrote:

~O
Whoa.

You probably know this ~ Fat Cats was a bar in Lake Geneva that The Trolls and some of us would hang out at in the evenings after the LGGC would close for the night.

Fat Cats? LOL! Haven't thought about that place since the '80s, along with Hogs & Kisses... classic Lake Geneva hangouts.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, it looks like the Trolls are cancelling the Brimstone KS, guess a lot of people don't see its potential.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

maximus wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:

~O
Whoa.

Fat Cats? LOL! Haven't thought about that place since the '80s, along with Hogs & Kisses... classic Lake Geneva hangouts.
Indeed.

Have you been back recently?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:Well, it looks like the Trolls are cancelling the Brimstone KS, guess a lot of people don't see its potential.
I had never heard of the publication until the K.S. None of my group who plays C&C had either. Mktg screw up.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules