Stick a fork in me .. I’m done (but with a ray of hope)

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Stick a fork in me .. I’m done (but with a ray of hope)

Post by Treebore »

If you fight, you will win. They want you to give up.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Case in point, we won our appeal with the Social Security department today. Woohoo!

Edit: and our house in SC is rented again! So all the financial stress we've been having since June is now resolved.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

nice, great news!

Sadly, my fight is more up hill and iffy.

It has taken me 3+ weeks to find a doc that would even see me. (luckily, his son goes to the same Christian school my girls go to and so now I'm helping coach him in the schools new soccer teams). However, talking to him, he says the paperwork the VA is requiring is insane and would take him all afternoon to give me the tests they require. So, he isn't going to do the paperwork/forms they require. He will do a good write up against their finding, but it isn't their specific forms with their specific measurements.

With that, I'm meeting the DAV tomorrow and see what the suggest. If there is a doc that will see me and do the paperwork, if there is a way I can get an extension, or if I'm screwed and the VA wins by default and drowning me in paperwork ...

Now for some good news, with me not working at TYA I got to go to opening day of dove season this morning. Great sunrise, tons of birds coming in, lots of shooting, good talk with other hunters. However, I was never a great dove shot, it has been 25+ years since I last shot at a dove, and I had the wrong choke in my shotgun. Soooo, out of a box and 1/4 of shells, I winged 3 - the guys to my sides got the kill on them, and downed 1. Even with that poor of shooting, still a great hunt. Added bonus, got to watch the area and see when the residential geese are flying, so already mentally getting ready for them later this month!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Hunting is good for the soul.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Got to love old crusty vets!

Went in to talk to my local DAV rep about the problems I’ve had finding a doc that will refute the VA’s finding, and then when I did find one, he not able to do the stack of paperwork the VA required.

The DAV rep smirked and said something to the effect of “You know, I didn’t want to say it when we gave you the forms, but if I was the doc I’d take those papers and wipe my a$$ with them. Then write my report like I any sane person would do. Those forms are just the VA being bureaucratic F…heads. As long as the doc gives us a good report, our lawyers will fight it for you. I don’t care if the report is on a napkin or official VA form”

Admittedly it is still an uphill fight but I still have hope that the inability to fill out the flood of paperwork the VA requires will not drown me.

Rigon wrote:Hunting is good for the soul.

R-
Rgr that, and my soul will get some balm when I get back from my brother's wedding next weekend. Residential geese and teal season will be in full swing. I watched 4 teal fly into my neighbors pond right at sunrise this morning & there are 4 gaggles of geese that are flying around the pastures that surround my house all day.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Good news is good news! Take it all in.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Lurker wrote:... Residential geese...
:?:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Like I said, keep fighting. Its a grueling marathon, but I think they intentionally make it that way to "prove" whether or not you really need your benefits. If you need them, you will fight. If you don't, its not worth it, and you will give up. Seriously, I think that is how they look at it. Just think, if we were billionaires, they (the government) would just hand us tons of money, no questions asked, but because we aren't, we have to prove we need/deserve it.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Aramis wrote:
Lurker wrote:... Residential geese...
:?:

Now that would make a mess, and boy you'd better have a good tight choke in your shotgun, or the wife will get mad about the pellet holes in the floor or wall !!! :lol:

Ok, all seriousness, residential geese refers to the geese that have stayed in the area all summer instead of being migratory ( northern North America / Canada/ Alaska) during the summer and flying through the area to either stay here or go to the gulf states during winter. They get their own special season here for 1 week. Then no duck/goose hunting until mid fall.

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well, like Go0, I have some good news to add to my thread.

I’m not legal to do full interviews and take claims, but I’ve been checked off on doing them under ‘adult supervision’ . As such I’ve handled 5 interviews, one a claim from the ground up & another for a vet with terminal cancer that is trying to get stuff taken care of for his wife before he passes, the others un remarkable. The last interview today, the ‘adult supervision’ that was supposed to be watching me talked to the vets wife the hole time while I did everything on the interview. Then he smirked and said ‘really, after the rest of the day do you think I need to’ when I asked if he wanted to check my work.

Also, I’ve written 2 rebuttals to VA turning down vets claims ( and they were used with no change to go in front of the review officer).

To be legal to run an interview and claim I’m stuck waiting for the VA to accept my credentials, so no telling when I’ll be completely legal.

Then the only thing that I’ll be left not signed of on is actually going in front of a judge and that won’t be something I’ll be allowed to do for well over a year.

Plus, seeing the good we have done, Friday, a widow that I helped build her case when I started, came in and when we called up a contact in the VA, her expedite went through and she will be given full benefits. It will still be a month + to go through the wickets, but it was great to give her the good news.

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Go get 'em dude! :)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ok got to vent ......

Sorry to bring up this thread, but .... got to vent

I'm soooooo tired of dealing with VA medical side of the house, VA Claims and benefits side of the house, VA Raters that use no sense and even 'over look' info on their decisions, contract 1 hit wonder Drs that short change vets in their rating all the time, vet that are angry and think I'm on the VAs side, vets that are lying to the va me and themselves, vets that think they are lawyers and know the va system better than my office, widows that think they are being cheated because they don't get the vet's full benefit, or are told no when their husband's death had nothing to do with his service and injuries from the service, and greedy kids that are trying to milk their parent/vet and the system ....

ack... long day, long week ....

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Finally, some good news !

My boss gave his 2 week notice today !

It is a load off. We will again be short manned, but at the least he wont be there mucking everything up, making more work, and making things harder for me and the other guy in the office that does the lion's share of the work. At the least my annoyance factor will be lower now!

All that said, and with me bringing up (repeatedly) an old vent post, I know others are / have been going through some rough patches, so I hope you too have or get good news.

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Sorry, but have to vent ... I am truly in a moral quandary at work. One of my next hearings at the Board of Veteran's Appeals is for a dirt bag veteran ... I can't go into everything, but he is a true dirt bag, and he is completely trying to twist things and game the system.

The sad thing is I know how to make my argument where I have a fairly good chance of getting him Sced.

It is completely me using a legalistic and sematic argument and it twists the events to fit the story ... but I've used the same argument to help other veterans (that didn't all in the dirt bag area).

It just sucks that I can do it for someone that such a dirt bag ...

I could bolo it and punt the hearing, and no one would know it, but that is almost as wrong ...

Then, we are having to correct problems on 3 different veterans where the guys that do my job in the field did the wrong thing and have resulted in getting the veterans reduced ...

Again sorry to bring this ole thread up and vent but ... ack

Sorry have to vent here, but my wife gets enough venting normally ...

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If he qualifies, he qualifies. If he doesn't, he doesn't. What kind of person he is, isn't supposed to matter. So the only question you need to answer is, did he truly earn it, or are you making it to where he could earn it? So present the facts. No twisting, no embellishment. Just the facts. That is your job. Then the others will do theirs.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Vent, brother, vent.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Thanks for the replies and letting me vet.

It still sucks but after an easy day today at work and church tonight I'm not as wrapped around the axel as I was. Who knows, he may not even show for his hearing .. He hasn't returned any of my calls from last week or on Monday so it may be a moot point ...

Tree, that is my problem, it isn't 'he is qualified' or 'he isn't qualified' ... It is a hearing with a VA judge so it is ALL how I present the evidence, how I frame the question and how I lead the veteran to answer. I could walk in and just say 'veteran, here is your chance to tell your story' and let the vet ramble on & he would lose ... or I could carefully ask very specific questions that build a narrative that the general stress of being in the service is the cause of all his problems (and down play some facts and hope the judge glosses over them) and he could win ...

I've done it for other veterans, who did have issues, but weren't down in the dirt bag area, and had no problem helping them. However, with this guy seeing his treatment medical and arrest history, and knowing he is blaming some deep in legal and abuse issues on the generic fact he had stress in the military (not combat, not PTSD, etc, just general stress) ... it is a lot harder to justify him ...

Oh well, like I said, lot better today and if I'm lucky he just won't show for the hearing.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Seems to me like your the one making the call on the "definition" of his issues. Does his medical history back him up? Sounds to me like he has always been his own worst enemy. But if the medical records back up what he claims, then its a slam dunk. Sounds to me like the evidence may not support what he claims, and that seems to me to be what is truly bugging you.

So if he doesn't have any medical evidence backing up his claim, then its just a story.

I mean, if you have to twist things around, omit things, and gloss over other things, then how does he deserve the benefits? In my case, every issue I have can be read about in my medical records. There is no question about what issues I have. I know Veterans are supposed to be given the benefit of the doubt, but they are still required to have some kind of proof. Sounds to me like his case is more smoke and mirrors than actual evidence.

Hopefully he realizes that, and won't show for his hearing. If he does, I am sure you will do the right thing.

To be clear, you know all of the if's, and's, or's, but's, etc... Not me. I am guessing your conflicted because your gut/morals/ethics is telling you one thing, while another part of you is saying to take care of a fellow Veteran. Still, just my take with very little info on the entire thing. You have all the pieces of the puzzle. I know you want to do what is right, and I am sure that is what you will do.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Well today was the day for his hearing and ....

My moral dilemma was solved for me. He was a no show for the hearing. Then the guy that handles the hearing schedule came over and said the veteran's brother just called to let the VA know that his brother was in prison and wouldn't be able to make it to the VA hearing (talk about an understatement !)

The bonus is the next hearing I have this week is a slam dunk and the veteran, without a doubt, deserves to win and has all the medical support for it that I could ask for.

Now time to eat, relax a bit, and get ready for Rigon's Monday night ne'er do well's game.

C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Congrats!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Awesome!
Word through the grape vine at my wife's work is that a position or three that I am in the Que for should be opening up in the next month or two. So hopefully I will be a VSR as well. My wife is hoping to be an RVSR in a few more months.

My daughter was already called about a job, but they claimed that because she didn't have a piece of paper in her application bundle they couldn't hire her. A piece of paper that hasn't been required since 2014. :x

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Good luck on getting the job. You should have an advantage being a disabled veteran. I just found out that at least the Muskogee RO takes a very liberal stance of '10 point advantage' . At least they do on general hireing, but then shift through the new hires to assign them to a VSR slot.

Once you get hired, you will have to IM me. I know a couple of my buddies from the military IM me when they are working a special claim - good like working one for a WWII guy that was on D-Day or were Island hoppers etc, or a bad one like someone claiming PTSD due to being on a fire base and hearing outgoing arty fire and getting scared and falling out of their cot (no kidding on both of those)

Congrats on her getting RVSR, I know it isn't that easy.

C&C Society

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

crud ... just got word that the guy from my unit that was found dead yesterday passed due to an OD on his pain meds and other meds ... no one is sure if it was purposeful or not ...

It suck - for the unit he is 2nd one in 2 years - and it sucks bad for his wife and kids . To make it through 23 years of service 6+ direct combat deployments, a purple heart & BSM, and to end like this ... and leave a son in college and 4 younger daughters ...

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:crud ... just got word that the guy from my unit that was found dead yesterday passed due to an OD on his pain meds and other meds ... no one is sure if it was purposeful or not ...

It suck - for the unit he is 2nd one in 2 years - and it sucks bad for his wife and kids . To make it through 23 years of service 6+ direct combat deployments, a purple heart & BSM, and to end like this ... and leave a son in college and 4 younger daughters ...
Yeah, that does suck. Considering how over medicated I have seen so many Veterans be over the years, I am surprised it doesn't happen far more often. I hope his wife and kids have a strong support network.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Good luck on getting the job. You should have an advantage being a disabled veteran. I just found out that at least the Muskogee RO takes a very liberal stance of '10 point advantage' . At least they do on general hireing, but then shift through the new hires to assign them to a VSR slot.

Once you get hired, you will have to IM me. I know a couple of my buddies from the military IM me when they are working a special claim - good like working one for a WWII guy that was on D-Day or were Island hoppers etc, or a bad one like someone claiming PTSD due to being on a fire base and hearing outgoing arty fire and getting scared and falling out of their cot (no kidding on both of those)

Congrats on her getting RVSR, I know it isn't that easy.
I'm a schedule A hire. So if they follow the regs, only schedule A hires will be considered. So far, I am the only one to turn their package in to the HR department, aside from my daughter. A couple of other Veterans we told about how to do Schedule A to maximize chances apparently have yet to turn theirs in. So I am definitely hopeful.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Welllllllll ...... I got picked up for a new job. I am doing the same work but for one of the Oklahoma Veterans' Retirement Homes .... :mrgreen:

I can't move over the next 2 weeks - we have a full schedule on hearings and are short by 2 people - but after the 2 weeks I will change over and start there.

No more pushing mail, no more handling hearings that others caused, no more cleaning up others' messes. I just have to help any of the 300ish old retired veterans that need help with a claim or getting their rating increased.

It is a shorter drive, for more money, and did I mention no more cleaning up others' messes !

I get to actually eat breakfast with my little ones, I get to get off work early enough to help with some of girls practices .

The down side, no one has done this job there (correctly) in over 2 years, so the home has the lowest veteran's SCed % of all the Oklahoma veteran's homes, so I have a lot to catch up on & the home manager is a "Show me results, or I have no need for you" kind of person. I guess I just have to work my magic and get started getting increases for the veterans, and work toward at least 33% of the veterans there SCed or increased up to 70% in the next year or 2.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Welllllllll ...... I got picked up for a new job. I am doing the same work but for one of the Oklahoma Veterans' Retirement Homes .... :mrgreen:

I can't move over the next 2 weeks - we have a full schedule on hearings and are short by 2 people - but after the 2 weeks I will change over and start there.

No more pushing mail, no more handling hearings that others caused, no more cleaning up others' messes. I just have to help any of the 300ish old retired veterans that need help with a claim or getting their rating increased.

It is a shorter drive, for more money, and did I mention no more cleaning up others' messes !

I get to actually eat breakfast with my little ones, I get to get off work early enough to help with some of girls practices .

The down side, no one has done this job there (correctly) in over 2 years, so the home has the lowest veteran's SCed % of all the Oklahoma veteran's homes, so I have a lot to catch up on & the home manager is a "Show me results, or I have no need for you" kind of person. I guess I just have to work my magic and get started getting increases for the veterans, and work toward at least 33% of the veterans there SCed or increased up to 70% in the next year or 2.
My wife processes 16 claims per day, most days. So if you can match her, you will have all 300 of them processing in about 3 to 4 weeks. If your as slow as most of her co workers, triple that. CONGRATS! Better pay, better hours, shorter drive?!! Total win!

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Lurker wrote:Welllllllll ...... I got picked up for a new job. I am doing the same work but for one of the Oklahoma Veterans' Retirement Homes .... :mrgreen:

Congrats Les, sounds like a great move for you.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Good on you, Les.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

All, thanks
Treebore wrote:

My wife processes 16 claims per day, most days. So if you can match her, you will have all 300 of them processing in about 3 to 4 weeks. If your as slow as most of her co workers, triple that. CONGRATS! Better pay, better hours, shorter drive?!! Total win!
I wish developing a good through claim with a chance to be successful with needed support for a difficult claim or one that has already been denied isn't a 30 min job. There are times it is 8 + hours just to find one thread to pull on and then you still need a Dr to support it. So no not 3 to 4 weeks ...

But with blessing, luck, and diligence, and time, I'll get there.

C&C Society