Rising Knight for 5th Edition D&D?

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Rising Knight for 5th Edition D&D?

Post by alcyone »

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/160 ... _id=121555

The drivethrurpg page says "Rules System: Castles and Crusades", but we know that isn't true. I checked the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st, but no, it has come to pass. Our dear TLG are once again supporting the WotC rules. I assume so, anyway; fifth edition of some rules anyway.

I am sure Stephen was just saying this morning, "I just know some wise-ass is going to say something about this."

I don't play 5th edition at this point, but if you do, and you found your way here through buying Rising Knight, then welcome, and best wishes for your adventures in Malforten, the Blacktooth Ridge, and beyond.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Rising Knight for 5th Edition D&D?

Post by Treebore »

I played 5E from December until I think May. While I like it, and its FAR better than 4E and 3E, in my opinion, for what I like, I still much prefer C&C. So while I think supporting 5E is a smart business move, the Trolls better start hyperlinking their C&C adventures like they did for this 5E adventure. IE if they start putting out better PDF products for 5E than their own flag ship RPG system, I am going to be upset.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Treebore wrote:I played 5E from December until I think May. While I like it, and its FAR better than 4E and 3E, in my opinion, for what I like, I still much prefer C&C.
I have had a similar experience. I ran a 5E game at my local game store for a year and have played for even longer as part of the 5E playtest. 5E is a great game system and certainly an improvement over 3E/4E but over time I have felt like it's a heavy weight in terms of prep time and the like. (I switched from WotC 5E modulues to Goodman 5E modules and felt a lot better, but the game store owner isn't happy since Goodman 5E isn't really "Adventurer's League" compliant and he needs an active AL game in order to stay on WotC's good side.)

I find that C&C is a much more relaxed game system to prep and to play.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

finarvyn wrote:
Treebore wrote:I played 5E from December until I think May. While I like it, and its FAR better than 4E and 3E, in my opinion, for what I like, I still much prefer C&C.
I have had a similar experience. I ran a 5E game at my local game store for a year and have played for even longer as part of the 5E playtest. 5E is a great game system and certainly an improvement over 3E/4E but over time I have felt like it's a heavy weight in terms of prep time and the like. (I switched from WotC 5E modulues to Goodman 5E modules and felt a lot better, but the game store owner isn't happy since Goodman 5E isn't really "Adventurer's League" compliant and he needs an active AL game in order to stay on WotC's good side.)

I find that C&C is a much more relaxed game system to prep and to play.
Yeah, I ran several of the play test scenario packs early on in the play test, and I liked what I saw, so jumped on the opportunity to play it last December.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

On the one hand - I understand the Trolls gotta make greenbacks, and they seem to prefer writing adventures and worlds rather than systems.

On the other hand - I really hope that someone will keep pushing the SIEGE system, as it has clearly inspired lots of people.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

ssfsx17 wrote:they seem to prefer writing adventures and worlds rather than systems.
However, this particular adventure isn't a new one, but is an old one re-tooled to fit 5E rather than C&C. That doesn't sound like much fun to write. :(

It probably was fast, however, and it will be interesting to see if the Trolls can cash in on the 5E phenomenon. I'd hate to have them abandon their house rules but there aren't many good 5E products out yet and it might be a prime time to put something out there.
Marv / Finarvyn

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

This is a potential double edged win for TL's. 1) $ from sales to 5th Ed players. 2) possible new customers for C&C as they now are TL customers.

A good business move.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

5.5 or 6 will be here before you know it. Not to worry.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:5.5 or 6 will be here before you know it. Not to worry.
:lol:

House Rules

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Hopefully it's similar to 5.0 in that it is a hard backpedalling from trying to compete with video games and a return to emphasis on what tabletop can do uniquely.

And if they remember that maybe ceding the entirety of 3rd edition to Paizo was not such a good idea... well, good luck trying to recapture those players who have now developed loyalty to Paizo.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Funny, but this time they may have actually gotten it right. :shock:

I think that 5E clearly reverses the trend started in 3E and 4E (well, actually started near the end of 2E with all those kits...) and has brought the game back to something more like the 1E/2E era but with a few modern mechanic things and some rules that may please folks from the 3E/4E era as well.

I guess time will tell....
Marv / Finarvyn

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

ssfsx17 wrote:
tylermo wrote: And if they remember that maybe ceding the entirety of 3rd edition to Paizo was not such a good idea... well, good luck trying to recapture those players who have now developed loyalty to Paizo.
I noticed that WotC is using the adventure path terminology. But, 5e retains too much video game mentality for me still.

House Rules

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

"IndEEEd!" - David Lo Pan
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Well, I've heard people bellyaching about Save-or-Die/Save-or-Suck again, at least early on, so at least that step is in the right direction (Oh noes! Embrey the Eldarin Dual-Wielding Valkyrie Scout has looked at a medusa right in the eyes! If we don't do something in three rounds*, she'll turn into stone and her player might be relegated into watching the rest of the combat!) I didn't much care for the vidya-game tiered crap of 4E, and even PF has gone flat damage on some spells to placate the masses. Good to see Wizards moving the other way, at least on the surface.

* - Assuming that Embrey misses two more saves and nobody gets to her with an antidote and her player doesn't hold something over the DM's head to make him deus ex machina her butt out of the jam, I mean. Pfuh, entitlement players.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Embrey the Eladrin Dual-Wielding Valkyrie Scout?? That's pretty good. Almost as good as the pixie barbarian.

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

...or a half tarrasque, half black pudding bard.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Pathfinder 2.0 will be here before D&D 6.

Nothing wrong with turning a TLG staple into a module for the "most popular RPG in the market." Heck, they should convert Rising Knight to a Supers game, Call of Cthulhu, and so on... get it out in as many forms as possible.

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

D&D 5E was just like the diet food my wife bought me. I tried it and it was fine, not the greatest in the world but without all the things I wanted to do without.

Then one day I woke up and couldn't take any more.

It just wasn't the real deal and no matter how much better it was than before, it left a fake taste in my mouth.

So while I did find 5E MUCH better than 2E,3E,4E and Pathfinder it just isn't good enough to replace C&C or even S&W.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I played in a 5 E game, weekly for 5 to 6 months. While it was fun, it still just wasn't as good as what C&C gives me.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Ancalagon wrote:...or a half tarrasque, half black pudding bard.
Here's the famous duo, The Blancmange Swashbuckler (Proficiency: Tennis Racket) and The Scottish Barbarian
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax