Stick a fork in me .. I’m done (but with a ray of hope)

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Stick a fork in me .. I’m done (but with a ray of hope)

Post by Lurker »

All,

Got to vent …Stick a fork in me I’m done …

Work has gone from bad, to worse, to nearly unbearable …

Last cycle’s cadets were bad. If I could have, I’d have quit they were that bad. Now, some bad things have gone down to make it worse!

I won’t go into specifics, but 1 SGT is now in jail (and needs to be for what she did). However, others SGTs, a Shift Supervisor, and a teacher have all quit (for various reasons, they aren’t associated with the trouble the one PSG was in). Plus, 1 other SS put in his resignation letter for next month and 2 PSGs are thinking about quitting. This of course puts all of the sections short maned, and the SGTs critically so.

With all of this going on (well right before it) the director was more concerned with making sure all the chairs in the classrooms matched, and that all the teacher’s desk were the same type of wood, and that the teachers were in the rooms she wanted them in – this specifically put me in a room too small to be set up like I need. With all of this, she has been put on admin leave and is being investigated. So, where we had a micromanager before, now we have no one to make any decision at all.

That is all bad enough as it is, but … the cadets we have are the worst I’ve ever seen. That is saying a lot, but they are. Multiple fights every day, they have found skives and other improvised weapons on something like 20 cadets, one whole class group (a whole class not just individual cadets in the group) has been sent out of class at least once a day each day all week – I thin twice yesterday. Oh yeah, in the brand new building we are in for class, they have kicked a hole in one bathroom wall, stopped up 2 of the 4 toilets that the male cadets can use. Oh yeah, one night as a fight was going, one cadet not in the fight jumped a SGT as he tried to stop it (to bad the SGT was a combative instructor in the Army. The cadet lost and was kicked out that night. That is a good point that the director is on leave, she would have tried to make us keep the cadet, she has done that before and kept –or tried to – a cadet that actually attacked a SGT or staff). Yeah, this is the worst group of cadets I’ve ever seen …

You add all of this together and end up with us teachers having to have no break all day, us teachers that can handle it fill in to help the PSGs (read me and 1 other teacher and 2 others spotty help now and then), and the cadets being completely out of control!
I have never been sick at my stomach at the end of the day, and dreaded going to work each morning before now. It isn’t just me too, the other teacher that can handle playing PSG said almost the same thing to me this morning.

Now, if that wasn’t enough stress, I just got word from the VA that they are going to try and cut my rating and the associated pay.

I am able to fight that, and I am tied to the DAV so will have help, plus my uncle is an area leader for the DAV, so knows the docs in the area that know how to write up a rebuttal in the verbiage the VA looks for. But, that is a lot of stress on top of that from work.

Now, the ray of hope, one of the SS that quit a few months ago got a good job in another state agency (the academy I work in is full state ran so even us teachers are state no local). He had me put in an application for the same job opening up late this summer. I got a call today, asking me to come interview … Plus, just (as I was typing this) got a text from my buddy, he has talked me up to the boss looking at the interview and talked me up real good!

It will kill me to quit teaching, and stop working at the academy (except for the worst cadets, we do help a lot of them and some of them do turn around their lives). But, to go to work and not expect to be cursed out at least 3 times a day and break up a fight at least 3 times a week …

Ok, vent over …

Thanks for letting me vent amongst friends. I know others are having a rough time (probably even worse than me)
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

DMMike
Unkbartig

Re: Stick a fork in me .. I’m done (but with a ray of hope)

Post by DMMike »

Wow... Here I was ranting to the wife about brain dead students, and then I read this. I won't grumble about my students any more! Well, not much; it could be worse!

Lurker, best of luck on that new job. I know if I got another job I'd miss teaching, but you have to go through SO much gravel to find the gems. I know its self-defeating, but if things keep on like this we'll lose all the good teachers because they won't put up with the BS.

I joke that if it wasn't for the huge bucks and social status of being a teacher (tongue firmly in cheek) I'd quit education!

Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Good luck mate! Better to go than to go down trying to stop the holes up in a swiss cheese boat.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Join the game tomorrow night and kill a lot of imaginary stuff. Its pretty therapeutic.

The VA lowering a rating? First time I have heard of that, must be part of that GOP initiative that has them re evaluating my wife's reception of SS benefits.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Sorry to here about your troubles, Lurker. I thought I had it rough, at least I don't have students trying to beat me up on a daily basis. Glad to hear that you might have another opportunity, even though it isn't teaching. Sometimes you have to do what is best for your health and safety.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

They like fighting. You like jumping.

Get them on a plane. Handful of parachutes. The idea writes itself.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Guys thanks for the comments

Another day that feeds into me being ready to go if the door opens.

The lead instructor got called out for me having worked so much extra during the first 2 weeks. It wasn't properly approved so they wanted her not to give me the time. I wasn't going to argue it, but then they called over the radio to have us 3 teachers that can fill in to help ops to come over and help with issues. I made the comment as I walked out that they sure are quick to use us when they need help and are happy when I'd dealing with a melt down anytime it happens, but then they sure forget it when it comes to the time sheet. She smirked, nodded and said not to worry about taking out the comp time. The call for help is proper enough approval for her.

Now, to agree with Rigon's statement in his thread, "it isn't what you know it is who" . A little birdy sent me a generic list of questions they will draw from in my interview and morph them for the specific duties of the job ... I'll owe him some coffee, but luckily for me he only likes cheap coffee ...

DMMike, rgr on missing teaching. I'm sure that somehow I'll still teach. Even if it is volunteering to tutor for adult ed for the GED, or maybe an adjunct professor at the local college for an evening class . That said, rgr on the brain dead students. This cycle I have 130 of the 150 cadets in class, out of them 20 have been able to write a letter to a vet with little help (some fine tuning and polish but all and all not bad) most have had issues, and over 15 can't string together a thought long enough to write a paragraph much less a letter. Sadly, 3 of them are so low end academically that 3 hours of work ends up being 3 sentences - and they were honestly trying and not sand bagging in that.

Go0, that hits the nail on the head. Sat through a morning staff meeting listening to the section leaders in our building and the assistant director (well director until the investigation is finished) and I kept thinking "just how many holes are we expected to stick our fingers in, and what happens when we fun out of fingers to use ...

Tree, thanks for the invite. I get to game every Monday without the wife asking a question, and I get to hunt when I have time off in the fall, with out here saying anything, but outside of that I owe the wife and my girls as much free time as I can give them. With that, I guess Lupa will have to make up for it with Dardo this coming Monday. It will help even more if all the bad guys are called cadets and are dressed in red shirts before the fighting starts. :lol:

As for the va, I'll avoid the politic debate but at the same time say from what I saw it doesn't matter (at least not here in OK) whether it is Rep or Dem. Either way the VA is a bloated crony bureaucratic monster that does its best to cut the rating for all the vets any time it can. It is funny, but if I get the job it will be for the va ... a different section that reviews the vets paperwork and works to get them training and education.

Serl, rgr on that. I thought about letting one of the cadets go today when I broke up the near fight. The other cadet was a back woods raciest and had been dropping the N word all morning (when the PSGs weren't around). One of the black cadets (one of the good ones too) finally went off when the other one threw in "you and your N... mother". I got between them before it went any further, but part of me wanted to smile and just step aside .
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It certainly doesn't help when they are intentionally under funded by Billions and ordered to scratch people from the rolls, both VA and SS. SPECIFICALLY us Veterans. Its no wonder why they don't have enough Doctors and Nurses and other staff to take care of us. Hell, even the food for us stuck recovering in the hospital is so horrid most of it I wouldn't even feed to my dogs.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Wow. Your academy sounds a bit like Taps

Best of luck with the new career

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:It certainly doesn't help when they are intentionally under funded by Billions and ordered to scratch people from the rolls, both VA and SS. SPECIFICALLY us Veterans. Its no wonder why they don't have enough Doctors and Nurses and other staff to take care of us. Hell, even the food for us stuck recovering in the hospital is so horrid most of it I wouldn't even feed to my dogs.

Rgr that, underfunded and on top of that they waste what they have. Double rgr on the food and conditions at the hospitals. An older gentleman from my church (WWII vet) recently got bad. His family sent him to the VA (He could have gone to the Indian hospital instead, but sad to say it is even worse). Some of us men went to see him ... horrible ... Eventually, the family moved him to a nursing home so he could pass in decent conditions.

Sad to say, as a history guy, it was things like this in Italy that lead up to Mousseline getting power. But I digress ...

Aramis, Oh I wish it was taps ...

C&C Society

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:It certainly doesn't help when they are intentionally under funded by Billions and ordered to scratch people from the rolls, both VA and SS. SPECIFICALLY us Veterans. Its no wonder why they don't have enough Doctors and Nurses and other staff to take care of us. Hell, even the food for us stuck recovering in the hospital is so horrid most of it I wouldn't even feed to my dogs.
Don't get me worked up into a near homicidal frame of mind. About one of the only things I like paying Fed tax for and look at its state.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Arduin wrote:
Don't get me worked up into a near homicidal frame of mind. About one of the only things I like paying Fed tax for and look at its state.

Rgr that. I have no problem giving taxes to have a good well equipped and trained military, take care of the vets, and the other inter-state infrastructures needed. I even can see paying to assist those that truly need help and are going to use the help to benefit themselves and through them society. But, fo so much of what our taxes goes for .... not so much a big fan! Plus, looking through modern history you can see just how badly things go when a country stops taking care of its military and then its vets. Those were at least secondary elements in Italy getting their last dictator ...

Now, for an update ...

I went to the job interview at the end of the week. It went well on my end, but you never know ... A plus, the interview was for 1 specific job at the Oklahoma Dep of VA, located in Muskogee, but then the mentioned a second job that was the traveling rep in NE OK. They asked about that one, and without hesitation I said I'd be more than glad to do it. They ask where I was from and when I told them they did the "Hmmmm, you know that is right in the middle of the area you'd be covering" thing.

The bad part is, I know they already made the decision (said it would be decided by COB of the interview day) but the decision has to be passed to the HR section and go through their wickets before the call can go out. I was hoping it would be a quick turn around and word would go out Friday right at the end of the day. However, no such luck... so now I spend all weekend knowing that the fate of us (sadly, I met another guy interviewing for the job and talked to him a bit. Real nice guy, a vet, and also a man of faith. So, I can't dislike him and just simply hope he doesn't get the job either) is setting on some bean counters desk all weekend.

For my other issue. I've talked to the DAV, gotten packets for medical reviews for each line item they are trying to cut, and been told to find a good doc to help me. Unfortunately, the local DAV guys were little help on knowing which docs were good. They are good guys, old vets and great to joke with and trade war stories with, but at times less than focused on the fine points of fighting the VA.

Luckily, I have an uncle (the benefit of having a father that was the 13th child of the family) in the DAV down in another part of OK, and he is Johnny on the spot with docs that are great at fighting the VA. So, over the next week or so he will be making call to see who can help. Oh yeah, also the local DAV gave my wife & I some homework. We each have to write a "buddy letter" explicitly explaining the impact of my issues to the family and every day life.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Isn't it amazing how you have to prove to the VA the very things you have already proven once to their Doctors? Just thank our congress, currently controlled by a certain party, for ordering a re evaluation of all our cases, on the VA and SS side. Only my wife's SS benefits are in trouble, but she wants to try to work a normal job anyways, so if that works out, we won't care. If its too much for her, well, we will just have further proof she really is that broken, as if we don't have far more than enough as it is.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rgr that!

We may be on differing sides of the fence politically in some areas, but I bet we agree that both sides of the political machine are too quick to jack around with this stuff. What makes it worse ,when the Republicans do it, is that they say they are on the side of the military and those that served.

I do admit that there are vets (heck I know 2 personally) that try and cheat the system, but they are the exception not the rule. But, those of us that are banged up have to fight to prove it time and time again ...

C&C Society

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Lurker wrote:What makes it worse ,when the Republicans do it, is that they say they are on the side of the military and those that served.
The Democrats say that as well.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yep, they both screw us over, given enough time, just in recent months to a year or two, its been primarily the GOP. Heck, its the GOP that is refusing to give the VA more money to increase the number of Doctors and Nurses we need, and are so underfunding the VA right now, that it is looking at actually closing down clinics and possibly hospitals to stay within their current budget limits. It was also the GOP that ordered the VA and SS to look for Veterans to cut from the rolls. They did that soon after taking control this past January. Still, just to repeat it for clarity, BOTH parties have given us Veterans the shaft. Its pretty much like they take turns.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

"A military coup needs a sacrifice and courage that you can't find in an army without morale." -- Jalal Talabani

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Here is to hoping you had good news today Lurker

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Dracyian wrote:Here is to hoping you had good news today Lurker

Thanks, but sadly ... no news today one way or another.

I did get word from my buddy that they asked him a lot of questions after the interview and they were good questions ... However, they know we are friends sooooooo they are avoiding giving him any hints as to the decision. He did say not to worry about the time it takes the HR department to call. They are painfully slow, so I shouldn't worry because of not getting a call ASAP

That said, the day wasn't that bad (compared to recent days) 2 cadets had issues, but no full melt downs and no fights - there were 4 over the weekend and one almost turned into a street brawl. So, I'm glad today was better .

C&C Society

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Awesome to hear, maybe its in the air, Kohler company has me waiting for two weeks now on my follow up interview so I understand that and my friend has told me that it takes forever, which is frustrating, at least for me, because my anxiety gets the best of me

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Welllllllll I still haven't gotten official word on the job. However, I got an e-mail today saying I need to schedule a finger printing. Then my buddy called and said "I still can't say anything, but you what getting your finger prints means"....

That is a good thing too, each day there has been something that made me want to get away from TYA right then and there. Whether it was more issues from a cadet or more horrid decisions from leadership. Each day got a little worse. Even today, while I was proctoring tests - and unable to be in the bathroom monitoring the cadets - someone kicked 2 holes in the wall. Ohhhh so ready to be out of there.

Unfortunately, despite the unofficial good news on the job side, the fight with the VA for my rating is a long frustrating fight. Still got to find the right doc that can do the right paper work and fight the right fight with the VA.

C&C Society

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Glad to hear it's looking up (at least a little). The new unofficial job should make your world a lot happier.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Good news.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote: Unfortunately, despite the unofficial good news on the job side, the fight with the VA for my rating is a long frustrating fight. Still got to find the right doc that can do the right paper work and fight the right fight with the VA.
I hear you. Today we got the excuses of (from SS, not the VA) "We don't have to tell you or give you the documents you need to fill out, but we are here to help disabled people..." Yeah, right. Give someone your job who is actually willing to do it without such pathetic lies.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Good Morning, Lesley.

I would like to offer you the position of Veterans Service Representative I with the Oklahoma Department of Veterans Affairs.

It is official, I got it!

And to make sure I have no doubt that leaving TYA is the right thing. I found out today that despite the fact that we are already 1 teacher short, they are not planning on hiring a replacement for me. Sr Leadership thinks the current teaching staff can rework the classes to handle the cadets and not have a full staff. This is after the math teacher, for 2 days, has almost broken down into tears after 2 classes.

As for the VA rating issue, My uncle got me an appointment Monday ... The bad part is that it is at 0730 in the morning and the doc is just over 2 1/2 hours away ...
Treebore wrote:
I hear you. Today we got the excuses of (from SS, not the VA) "We don't have to tell you or give you the documents you need to fill out, but we are here to help disabled people..." Yeah, right. Give someone your job who is actually willing to do it without such pathetic lies.
Rgr that, it sounds like what I hear from the VA ... Lucky there is the DAV, the VFW, and from what I hear the office I'll be working in for the OKDVA are there to actually help where with the SS you are on your own.

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

AWESOME!!

On our SS front, it looks like by going to the National reps we are actually going to be getting my wife's benefits back, and the local SS office is getting their water heated to some uncomfortable levels, because apparently their excuse for dropping my wife from the rolls, is they claimed she was working, when no such thing has occurred. She is trying to, is even working towards a Masters in hope it will help her find a job she can do, but she isn't working yet.

Plus, our house in Charleston, SC is rented again. So while last month and this month were painful, next month should be much easier.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Good, good, good.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Congrats Lurker!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

And today was my last day in the classroom teaching the cadets.

Not surprising, they made sure that I don't regret my decision ... Issues in 1 class, huge issues each break between classes, 2 cussing outs during said breaks, and even on an easy day still had cadets not doing work. Yep, not going to miss it.

I will miss some of the cadet and that they are actually trying to turn their lives around, but sadly they are the rarity not the norm.

Tomorrow, the program is doing a grill out for the cadets and their mentors. So, I get paid to stand at a grill and flip hamburgers. (as I'm cooking I'll make sure to bring some good pork chops to cook for myself and the 3 others that have grill duty). Then after lunch, I go home!

On the VA, still a long uphill road to fight, but making headway (in theory any way) there too. Found out that a new boy that goes to my girls school - a privet Christian school - and joined the schools soccer team I'll be helping coach his dad is a sports medicine doc and after seeing my name on the team letter, and then seeing it on the message to his receptionist about me trying to get an appointment, moved my appointment up to when ever I wanted ... so, Monday morning, I go and have him check me over and do the paperwork to refute the VA's findings.

It isn't a sure thing, but now I have a fighting chance!

C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Gotta love when the cards fall right on the table dude.