Hey, computer people...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Hey, computer people...

Post by Relaxo »

I'm going to need a new PC soon, as my primary computer for desktop publishing (it has to run the software my old ass box ran, no sweat there, but also GIMP and stuff like that), internet, email.

A) is this thing going to cut it?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... ?ref=users

B) is Christmas time a good time to buy, in general? Like Cyber Monday and all that? is there anything worth getting under $300 or $400?

THANKS
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

dachda
Lore Drake

Re: Hey, computer people...

Post by dachda »

Not sure you'd want a kickstarter for an android only machine. Consumer Reports gave this Lenovo Erazer X315 computer its top pick rating and is only $500. CR said:

"Overall this desktop's performance was very good. Tasks like email, word processing and web browsing will be accomplished quickly and you can even accomplish tougher tasks like video editing and mid-range gaming near top speed. It was among the fastest with productivity and Web-based tasks such as word processing, Web browsing, and scanning for malware. It was among the fastest for viewing and editing photos, and its video processor was among the fastest for editing HD videos and organizing and editing music. You'll be able to play demanding video games on this system, with smooth graphics and quick response.

Ergonomics: The keyboard, mouse, labeling, and LED indicators were all well-designed, making it comfortable and convenient to use. The keys on the keyboard are slightly concave, making it more comfortable to type on. There's a wrist rest built into the keyboard. The case doesn't have LED indicators for hard disk/CD activity.

Useful features and attributes on this model include: The spacious 1TB hard drive offers plenty of room for storing your music, photos, and movies. Has a fast 7200RPM hard drive. Has fast 802.11ac Wi-Fi. You can connect common external devices such as hard drives and Blu-ray burners to the USB 3.0 port for maximum performance. Gigabit Ethernet provides fast transfer of data over a local network. A DVI port, DisplayPort, and HDMI port are provided for connecting to an HDTV. You may need to use an adapter. Digital audio out sends a digital audio signal to speakers or your home theater.

Downsides: There are no significant downsides."

Lenovo site: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/e ... ries/x315/

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

I've been working with Microsoft devices for over 15 years.

You want my true advice? Buy a Mac.

-mM

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Michael Montalto wrote:I've been working with Microsoft devices for over 15 years.

-mM

I have two Mac Pro (from clients). They are dogs. For the same cost one can build a much faster PC. Might throw a linux distro on them to make them worthwhile.

Relaxo, don't buy a Android computer. Android is an emulation layer on top of linux.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Do you have a Costco membership? If so, wait for one of their online deals for a Toshiba. Or get a DELL if your desperate.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Thanks guys!
I didn't think the Android PC was the way to go, but for $30, you think... hmmm.... maybe at that pricepoint. Add a touch screen monitor and i'd have the best App toy. yeah.

No Mac for me, I'm too cheap. :D

I don't belong to costco, but I do have a BJs membership. Good idea, I'll check out their sales this year.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Michael Montalto wrote:I've been working with Microsoft devices for over 15 years.

-mM
Ridiculous!

They've been overpriced and under powered since the beginning!

I've been using ms for 30+ years and while I mostly dislike the os - compys have been cheaper and reliable. I still have my Packard Bell from '96 running Win98 perfectly. Too slow for the internets, but it powers my high quality scanner!

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Apple is way over priced and under powered with everything they make. Hate Windows? Plenty of free OS options to use instead.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

I used Windows for long time.

Once went to Mac I will never go back....

Always hear the overpriced statement.......but ease of use and support for me overrules that.

Plus most Windows computers your replacing every couple years. So it actually comes out to an even price. Paid $999 for mine in 08" and don't see me needing to change except to possibly just want new tech. It can operate anything I need it to. Well except maybe the newest computer game needing maxed out graphic card.

Have had my laptop since 08' and have no issues with any software.....and can use Word and Excel if chose to.

Love them....as do most computer graphic artists.

EDIT: Oh and never had the issue of some virus getting ahold of my contact list and sending out spam email to all my contacts. Which over the last five years seems to have hit about five of my friends. Or any other virus for that matter.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I have a 15 inch DELL laptop from 08. Other than a few broken keys, that I can still use, it still works. It was my primary comp for a few years too. Now I have a desktop with top graphics etc... so I can play the cool video games. :lol:

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

All you guys with your newfangled computers. I run Linux which runs on whatever piece of trash you have laying around. My email server (which I retired in 2013) I originally built in 1993. The next one I'm going to retire (an old laptop, now being used as a network storage server) is from the late '90s sometime. While I'm buying new hardware all the time, I have stuff laying around that is decades old and still runs fine. Stuff from '08 are among the newer computers in my collection.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:Apple is way over priced and under powered with everything they make. Hate Windows? Plenty of free OS options to use instead.

Yes, for the price of an Apple I can get two boxes with linux that run faster and are more stable. Or, I could spec a Windblows machine that runs circles around it.

House Rules

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

I have and use both a pc and a mac. When given the choice i use my mac everytime over my pc. My pc started lagging and glitching by year 5. My mac is now 6 years old and still runs like new.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

jdizzy001 wrote:I have and use both a pc and a mac. When given the choice i use my mac everytime over my pc. My pc started lagging and glitching by year 5. My mac is now 6 years old and still runs like new.

Yes, Macs are better built physically than some not all, PC's. But, I can buy 3 linux machines (that are faster) for the same money as the Mac. By "PC" you are of course talking about a Windblows OS. The OS does tend to "degrade" over time due to registry issues and the like. Nothing that cannot be remedied though.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I do have to buy programs that clean up my registry, etc... to keep things from slowing down. I schedule them to run weekly, so never see a slow down. I personally don't mind Macs, until they want me to pay $3,000 to own one, then I go buy 3 Windows PC's for the same money. $3,000. Which is why I have 3 powerful Desktops and 3 powerful Laptops in my house, as well as my old ones that still run, and multiple tablets, etc.. If I bought Apple Versions, I would own 1/3 of what I currently own, and my kids would be fighting over who gets how much computer time, and my wife and I would be doing the same. Now, everyone in my family, as well as any guest, can have access to a computer and the internet at any time. All because non Apple electronics are so much more affordable.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Wow $3000 for a Mac......I guess if you price out the most expensive one yea they get up there.....but that is the same for a PC.

I paid, as mentioned, $999 for my 13" laptop and its been my sole computer...... Well guess I have a Mac Mini ($499) dedicated basically for all my iTunes content for streaming movies I own. All connected to the internet to stream.

I just had a friend who bought a new computer (e-machine) every 2 years because it would slow down and couldn't handle his work load. He used it as a cash register basically for his hobby store. Plus my example is of others beside him (my old job who actually have dedicated IT folks too) and is what I place on the life expectancy of a PC type computer.

Of course it sounds like you all, who recommend a PC, can repair or fix issues where most people can not.

Thats why I would recommend a MacBook (check the prices out no where near $3,000 for a basic machine.) It last longer of "the average" user who can't fix issues that come up way more often with a PC type computer than with a Mac. Whether from viruses or just general connecting to the internet. I haven't had to run a anti virus program once, despite out of curiosity, and still nothing.

Plus the flaunted speed really doesn't translate talking to users. What might be "clocked" slower on a Mac I have been told can actually handle more stuff running than a PC. At least from talking to Graphic Artists, and people who have a lot of photo editing. (I know feel funny mentioning them again as my only experts but the stuff they do on a computer is probably even more intensive than most computer games.)

Wife does computer programing and is of course required to work on a PC at work and when she works from home. But her personal computer is still a Mac.

Keep talking about running loops around a Mac in terms of speed. Will most people don't need that speed. Most people would never have a need for this speed. Except to say I have that speed...... :O)

I still haven't come across a game that I can't play yet. Know there are some out there just haven't come across one I am interested in I guess.

Plus guess honestly I use my iPad for most of my surfing, wife and son too on theirs. Although funny enough my laptop to reply to forums. :O) And excel sheets which while can be used on my iPad its a pain. Plus photo editing....although the iPad has some nice photo editing apps.

Of course to each their own.....I am just suggesting the Mac since a person is even asking means he probably isn't a computer expert who doesn't need to have issues pop up that he can't handle on his own. :O)

EDIT: I just priced out a MacPro desktop. That is up to $3,000. But most people would never even get close to using the boasted specs on a Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 Processor 3.7 Ghz .....while cool the average user could get away with a iMac.

Which if you look at Stephen desk who does a lot of lay out for art and books.....is what he has. 22.5" is $1099, and a 27" (which think is the size he has on his desk) is $1,799. :O)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

eMAchines have always SUCKED. I bought them once about 15 years ago, won't buy one ever again. I stick to Toshiba or DELL. Preferably Toshiba. Plus I make sure the processor is an Intel, not an AMD.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Linux, 'nuff said.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Rigon wrote:Linux, 'nuff said.

R-
Yup. My wife prefers my $250 linux laptop (old Win 7 machine) over her $1,000 Mac Book Pro. She says mine is faster, easier to use and is more stable. (N.B. she is NOT a tech person by any stretch of the imagination)

House Rules

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

:D

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Treebore wrote:eMAchines have always SUCKED. I bought them once about 15 years ago, won't buy one ever again. I stick to Toshiba or DELL. Preferably Toshiba. Plus I make sure the processor is an Intel, not an AMD.
No.

But, hey, different experiences, I suppose. Maybe it helps to not try to use a system for something it was not intended.

And... Toshiba, so far, are awful.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

We could go round and round with this topic until the cows come home. I could spend an entire post talking about my professional credibility, my educational background and lend you hundreds of links with research that proves that Apple is not only far more cost effective than purchasing a PC, but also easier to use an more reliable. I could do that, but it will only further blow up the topic and it's ultimately a pointless endeavor.

1. Decide on what you are wanting to do with your computer. (A machine that is designed for email and web browsing will have drastically lower costs than a machine that will need to run Photoshop. The most expensive machines are those which are running video editing software on a regular basis)

2. Do a comparative review on the vendors that you trust.

3. Shop the market with those vendors in mind and do a cost/benefit analysis.

4. Make a purchase

Regardless of what you do, go with a market leader. My recommendation would be to go with anything Microsoft Windows or Apple OSX based.

Have a good day and enjoy your new device.

-mM

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Michael Montalto wrote:and lend you hundreds of links with research that proves that Apple is not only far more cost effective than purchasing a PC, but also easier to use an more reliable.
Yup. Too bad all those stupid IT pro's making purchasing decisions in >90% of business aren't "smart" enough to agree with the "researchers". Same with all those (>90% of) home users. LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

House Rules

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Arduin. Let's please not throw stones at one another, call names, or otherwise behave in an unkind manner. I'm simply trying to help this person due to their request for help.

Apple is the #1 company in the WORLD currently. While that is certain to change eventually, I think it's a pretty decent indicator of what the aggregate computing community feels as a whole. That's not opinion, that's fact.

I have no idea why you would choose to be passive aggressive with me as I've done nothing to you, but please don't do that again. It's not appreciated and it certainly doesn't align with the behavior of the other members of the community and seems to go against our culture.

Have a good day.

-mM

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Michael Montalto wrote: Apple is the #1 company in the WORLD currently.
Irrelevant as we are talking about desktops and laptops (where it holds a tiny part of the market) and was completely unable to come CLOSE to the main competitor. If you want to argue value of its products where they dominate the market, cool. Otherwise it is meaningless.

Also, where did I call anyone names? Quote pls.

House Rules

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Arduin wrote:
Michael Montalto wrote:and lend you hundreds of links with research that proves that Apple is not only far more cost effective than purchasing a PC, but also easier to use an more reliable.
Yup. Too bad all those stupid IT pro's making purchasing decisions in >90% of business aren't "smart" enough to agree with the "researchers". Same with all those (>90% of) home users. LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right there is where you were rude.

I was also very clear that they should go with the market leaders via Apple or Microsoft and that my personal preference is Apple.

Finally, Apple has continued to gain market share on it's competitors year over year for quite a while now in the "PC" market.

Apple is positioned as the third largest PC vendor in the United States, and continues to trail only HP and Dell when it comes to market share.

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/app ... ates-1q15/

I could list several other sources but I think you get my point.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Michael Montalto wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Right there.

You REALLY don't get what I meant there? You REALLY think that I meant that IT Pro's are stupid?

Sorry but it would be fruitless to explain to you.

House Rules

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Yes. I really think that you meant what you said. Why would I hold you to any other standard than assuming that you say what you mean and you mean what you say?

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Michael Montalto wrote:Yes. I really think that you meant what you said. Why would I hold you to any other standard than assuming that you say what you mean and you mean what you say?
Perhaps Sears can sell you a sarcasm detector.