What are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Buttmonkey »

I tried Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I like Stephenson, but I really dislike cyberpunk and this was no exception. I got about 5% of the way through and moved on to My Destination the Stars. It's a much better fit.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Audio Books: Finished up TOEE and Sooner Dead. Now finishing up Jack Vance's Eyes of the Overlord and started Queen of the Demonweb Pits

Still reading some of the same stuff I mentioned upthread
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Taking a break from the Dune Series . .

Finished The Hermit of Eyton Forest and started The Confession of Brother Haluin.

Chronicles of Cadfael books 14 and 15.

Great reading and great period in history ~ 1135 to 1143 in the current book. It's the time when King Stephen and Empress Maude were contending for the English throne.

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

I've been spending my summer Holiday in the fine company of Fafhrd and Grey Mouser. Great reading!
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
https://youtu.be/c7ULaz7yRig

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I've been really enjoying Nueromancer audio book on my way to and from work lately

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Gunther Rall: A Memoir - epub format
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Neuromancer is always an awesome read, err, listen. The tales of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are tops, up to The Knight and Knave of Swords, which I remember as being a terrible letdown.

I'm finishing up The Republic of Thieves, the latest in the excellent Gentlemen Bastards series. For anyone that’s ever played a thief, that series is a must-read.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Neuromancer is always an awesome read, err, listen. The tales of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser are tops, up to The Knight and Knave of Swords, which I remember as being a terrible letdown.

I'm finishing up The Republic of Thieves, the latest in the excellent Gentlemen Bastards series. For anyone that’s ever played a thief, that series is a must-read.
I have a 40 minute commute almost all highway one way right now till I move in the fall so I figured a good time to get some listening in

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

A good use of the time. I’m lucky enough to be able to take public transportation into work, so that’s always my reading time.
Dracyian wrote:
I have a 40 minute commute almost all highway one way right now till I move in the fall so I figured a good time to get some listening in

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Finished Jack Vance's Eyes of the Overworld - Cugel the Clever, man that dude is a just a train wreck, that you can't help but look at.

Overall though, the book was a pretty good story. A couple of things about it in relation to the formation of D&D, as it in the list of books for "Appendix N" (perhaps not by name, but a least by Jack Vance "et all") really gives you an idea into the whole "Vancian Magic" think that Gary started with D&D. Whether you like Vancian or hate it, it's worth a read, just for that. Besides the "Stuff your brain with spells and a spell limit", you get the idea that vocal intonation is important - hence the Vocal, Somatic, Reagents, etc. It also delves into magic items, talismans and weird spell names. And with Vance, there is definitely a Sci-Fi element. Very cool considering the book was published in 1966.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

More than half way through . .

The Heretic's Apprentice by Ellis Peters!!

Cadfael.

I was reading all day today and had entertained thoughts about canceling my online C&C game tonight, because the book is so well written.

Anyway, didn't cancel and had a great game session and now my reward is to do more reading tonight!!

8-)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Overlord

Light novel translation on Baka Tsuki. Yeah...Elder Lich is badass.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm reading Spin by Robert Wilson. It's the best sci-fi book I've read in a very long time.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

More Cadfael.

Finished The Potter's Field and The Summer of the Danes.

Waiting on the next books from ebay, so I'm reading Redwall ~ Rakkety Tam!

:P

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I am reading the 6th Gun Graphic novels. Surprisingly enjoyable.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

"Parenting Isn't for Cowards" by James Dobson
"Margin" by Robert Swenson
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Currently working on the short academic text “Daily Life in Venice in the Time of Casanova.” Interesting stuff, and not too dry.

The worst prison cells will have to get used in my game at some point. They’re mostly below ground, and thus have about two feet of water in them, with only the bed above the water level. Rats, of course, were a big problem, too.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Tis good to be in a reading groove . .

Finished Rakkety Tam

and Cadfael ~ The Holy Thief!

Now, almost done with the 20th Chronicle, Brother Cadfael's Penance.

Man, it's the pièce de résistance!!

Cadfael is in the thick of things, right there between The Empress Maud and King Stephen.

Some of the best writing, dialog, storytelling, plot and character portrayal!

Cliched reviews by moi:

Page turner
Can't put it down
Irresistible

Blah, blah, blah or add your own.

:D

[Ellis Peters did write one more Cadfael book . . sort of a prequel. Waiting on delivery]

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

World of Tiers - Philip Jose Farmer
The Adventures of Alyx - Joanna Russ
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Just finished Felicia Day’s autobiography, and am now starting Blood of Tyrants, the latest Temeraire novel (for those not familiar, essentially the Napoleonic Wars, but with dragons).

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Just finished Felicia Day’s autobiography, and am now starting Blood of Tyrants, the latest Temeraire novel (for those not familiar, essentially the Napoleonic Wars, but with dragons).
How was the Felicia Day book.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've been reading this series. While it looks like a "romance" novel series, I am on book 3 and there hasn't been a sex scene yet. Lots of tension, but no sex. I think of it as an alternative Shadowrun setting type of series and it has what I like, good characters, good humor, decent to good story. The writers are a husband-wife team.

http://www.ilona-andrews.com/kate-daniels/
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Short, but very entertaining. It's written in a very conversational style so it reads very much how she talks. It's got equal parts humor and candor. For fans of her work, I'd recommend it.

It's funny, she talks about writing poetry for her characters in Ultima. I totally did the same in 5th and 6th grade for our AD&D characters. Heh, glad I'm not the only one who did that.
Buttmonkey wrote: How was the Felicia Day book.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Whew, I can't stop myself . . . must be that when it's hot outside and I have a few days off work, might as well read books, no?

Finished Cadfael's Penance by Peters.

Started Hi Rhulain (Redwall) by Jacques and then my final Cadfael book came in the mail.

Reading . . A Rare Benedictine - about how Cadfael enters the order and becomes a monk.

:)

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

"The Joy of Encouragement" by David Jeremiah
Gygax Magazine, Issues 1 - 5 (again)
"Beneath the Dome" by James Ward
Castle Keeper's Guide
The Book of Familiars
Bluffside: City on the Edge
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Started reading Alice in Wonderland have yet to actually read it all the way through

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

https://aerbook.com/books/Welcome_to_Ni ... 35170.html

Just finished this, its a sample to the Welcome to Nightvale novel coming out next month and I'm thoroughly excited to read the over 300+ pages

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Treebore wrote:I've been reading this series. While it looks like a "romance" novel series, I am on book 3 and there hasn't been a sex scene yet. Lots of tension, but no sex. I think of it as an alternative Shadowrun setting type of series and it has what I like, good characters, good humor, decent to good story. The writers are a husband-wife team.

http://www.ilona-andrews.com/kate-daniels/
I'm on the 7th book now. I can't recommend it enough. Sure, some of the books have sex scenes in them, but the characters, story, action, and world history make it a very worthwhile read.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

A bunch of "who would win" stuff online. Mostly Cthulhu vs. type material.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Slowly chipping away at The Landmark Thucydides, which is an account of the war between Athens and Sparta. Slowly, because it is mostly a pretty dry recounting of various military campaigns, although with some insights for those who love battles of lines of troops smashing each other to bits. It's also interesting to see Sparta portrayed as a much more down-to-Earth and human faction, rather than as the supermen of the movie 300.

What's really enjoyable are the speeches and debates. They are pretty long, but they really show you the mentalities of ancient leaders, the clashing ideologies, the way that they actually acknowledged their opponents' arguments much more than today, and how much work they put into making reasonable and logical statements. They also show off their ancient morality systems, and variations within them, which I've found to be incredibly helpful for fantasy role-playing. Really makes me wish that politicians debated like that today.

Previously I had read Herodotus' The Histories, which is a very fun, easy, and casual read.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20