What Video Game(s) are you playing

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Re: What Video Game(s) are you playing

Post by ssfsx17 »

Now playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Lots of great adventuring ideas, as well as potion ideas, in there. I've also been absolutely in love with the setting since playing the first game. And Geralt's voice is sexy.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ssfsx17 wrote:Now playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Lots of great adventuring ideas, as well as potion ideas, in there. I've also been absolutely in love with the setting since playing the first game. And Geralt's voice is sexy.
That looks very cool. Great graphics . . . mucho head loppings!

The monsters are awesome. I bet the game is addicting. I's tempted to get it on Steam.

:P
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

ssfsx17 wrote:Now playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I have been tinkering picking it up, for:

1) A great open-world to play in.
2) Inspiration for my own C&C games.

The setting looks way more in-depth than the previous entry. Would you say that there is a bigger focus on this setting in this game, then in the past?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

There is indeed a bigger focus on setting:
- You deal a lot with a foreign army that speaks its own language. They have their own fashion style, customs, etiquette, and laws.
- Ridiculous amount of detail in everything, and the setting as a whole makes sense. You only meet certain kinds of monsters in certain environments.
- Seems like there are a lot of hooks to influence the way that things go - helping or hindering various factions.
- Nearly every single named NPC, involved in the littlest of sidequests, has some backstory that fits the setting.
- The fact that you are a mutant supersoldier and/or a mercenary is very much noticed by other NPCs in the setting, and they all have varying reactions.
- Each plant & herb grows only in certain types of areas.
- Nearly every non-trivial monster has some amount of backstory.
- The profession of adventuring itself is portrayed realistically - you do a lot of legwork to figure out what kinds of enemies you'll be fighting, and you're given hints on how to prepare against the various types of enemies. You build up a bestiary so you can look up the weaknesses of various monster types. The contract givers are not always honest. The monsters are seldom ever Chaotic Evil, and frequently, are hunted only because they make it hard for humans to live in certain areas. Sufficiently-intelligent people don't want to mess with you for no good reason.

If you've played The Witcher 1 & 2, imagine that except 1,000 times that much.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Sold! I played the Assassin of Kings version, which I think is Witcher 2. I'm going to have to pick this up now. I like the focus on the vocation of being a monster hunter. It plays well in the C&C campaign I currently run. Looking for some inspiration on top of a great game. Thx!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Restarted Shadowrun: Dragon Fall, but playing the Director's Cut this time. Had a bad crash/bug that I or the developers could figure out. A lot more content in the Directors version and enjoying it so far.

Talisman Digital Edition, new save options and playing a game with the new Sacred Pool expansion. Excellent Digital adaptation of the board game.

Space Hulk. Always fun, and difficult! Like Talisman, Very faithful to the Board Game.

The Witcher Adventure Game. It's a fun game, enjoy the theme and the fact you can do a pretty quick game (40 minutes). Haven't played the board game, but seems well done.

Gauntlet. Great game to play multi-player.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Playing The Witcher 3. I didn't have high hopes because I'm not a big fan of 1 or 2. But I have to say that I'm really enjoying it. If you don't use the "lock on" feature, combat is fun, the story is okay and the world is really nicely developed. Loving it right now.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I finally got the codes for Witcher 3 and the new Batman for buying my new video card a few weeks ago, DLing Witcher right now. Should be done in a day or 3. (DSL is sllooooowwww....)
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Daniel
Red Cap

Post by Daniel »

Bought my son a new PS4 last night. So we "played" set up and game down load. :lol:

He is lost in Summer Gamer Heaven this morning. :mrgreen:

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

My wife convinced me that its no fun having a huge collection of console RPGs and not play them. So, I picked one at random: Arc the Lad Collection for PS1. Not quite fair. It's four games in one.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Back on a Skyrim kick. Finished up a couple of individual quest. I'm around level 20 something. No idea in terms of game mechanics where that is, but its a fun game.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Ah, wonderful Skyrim. I’ll probably return to it come winter, as usual.

Currently playing the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, for the umpteenth time. Such a lovely, amazing game. Also playing Splatoon, which is zany fun.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I play Skyrim on my PC, so with all the mods available for it, its hard to get tired of it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Serleran have you tried any of the Kingdom Hearts games? I am currently playing the Deadpool game and Kingdom hearts 2 :)

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

I fired up Neverwinter Nights 2 this weekend to play a mod that I never got to. It's the Pool of Radiance remake. POR is to this day, one of my favorite CRPGs of all time. So far the NWN2 engine remake isn't too bad.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Dracyian wrote:Serleran have you tried any of the Kingdom Hearts games? I am currently playing the Deadpool game and Kingdom hearts 2 :)
Sure, I have played them. Or started to and had my wife kidnap them because she thought it was too cute to run around as Goofy or whatever.

Interesting tidbits here and there. The fun thing, to me, about console games is trying to figure how to implement ideas in tabletop... like, say, Final Fantasy and materia. Or, my current kick is Breath of Fire 3 and learning skills from monsters.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I lost most of it due to a office shift at work but I had started drawing up just for fun a d3 based on early final fantasy games with Job system

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Tales of Maj'Eyal
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Aergraith wrote:Tales of Maj'Eyal
That's a great game. Lot's of fun and you can play for a few minutes or for hours, and still enjoy it.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Picked up few games on Steam and Good Old Games.

1. Interstate 76' - pretty good Car-Wars-esque game. Set in an extended gas crisis of the 70s in the SW Desert of the USA. Can do multi-player force on force or campaign in which you're a vigilante trying to find out who killed your sister. Groovy 70s sound track.

2. Megaman Legacy Collection. Megaman 1 thru 6. Played through one adventure in Megaman 1 and beat Cutman, but lots more to go. Fun return to Nintendo days.

3. Double Dragon Trilogy - Pretty good arcade translation. Came off as a so-so game in the reviews on steam, but I've had fun with DD1 so far. For the $6, its worth it considering all the quarters I dropped in the machine back in the day.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I picked up Darksouls II, think they had it 50% off, so like $10.00.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Warhammer Quest on Android.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong on Steam.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Dark Souls is a pain, no doubt, but a beautiful pain. Still slowly working my way through the first one.

Currently playing through Assassins Creed: Black Flag.
Treebore wrote:I picked up Darksouls II, think they had it 50% off, so like $10.00.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I haven't played through any of the Assassins Creed, but I own them all for the PC as well as X-box. I'll get around to playing them one day.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

serleran wrote:
Dracyian wrote:Serleran have you tried any of the Kingdom Hearts games? I am currently playing the Deadpool game and Kingdom hearts 2 :)
Sure, I have played them. Or started to and had my wife kidnap them because she thought it was too cute to run around as Goofy or whatever.

Interesting tidbits here and there. The fun thing, to me, about console games is trying to figure how to implement ideas in tabletop... like, say, Final Fantasy and materia. Or, my current kick is Breath of Fire 3 and learning skills from monsters.
We just finished up our shadowrun campaign which had us jumping through video game dimensions in the end, it was fun and entertaining

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Playing a game on my phone. Heroes Charge. Not very good but it gives me something to do at work.

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Just loaded up Battle for Middle Earth II. It's an older game but fun & hard to win at "brutal"setting. Would like something newer but the new (used) laptop is still running XP so I'm not sure how far I can upgrade without having to purchase new hardware. With looming layoffs at work, that's not in the cards.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

This game is about stalking people, knocking them in the back of the head, and kidnapping them by tying them to big balloons. There's also a big complex plot, a tie-in to one of the most complex stories of video game history, and a lot of other kinds of fun action, but mainly it's about mass kidnapping. I've loving every minute of it.

Tons of ideas for strongholds and minions. Especially if you want to allow players to research technology and upgrade their gear by themselves.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

ssfsx17 wrote:Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

This game is about stalking people, knocking them in the back of the head, and kidnapping them by tying them to big balloons. There's also a big complex plot, a tie-in to one of the most complex stories of video game history, and a lot of other kinds of fun action, but mainly it's about mass kidnapping. I've loving every minute of it.

Tons of ideas for strongholds and minions. Especially if you want to allow players to research technology and upgrade their gear by themselves.
Kidnapping and big balloons sounds like something that is very entertaining and worth a try

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Also we were talking in the game group the other day about leveling up in tabletops vs video games, i.e. Pausing increasing stats, life, skills and all that jazz. Well while playing the demo for Final Fantasy XV, i'm really excited for it, I thought it worth mentioning that no matter how much xp gained, at least in the demo, you can't level up until you get to a "safe rest area" and then you automatically level up but I thought it worth noting maybe video games are taking a note from tabletop