What are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Tadhg »

Rhuvein wrote:Just finished . . A Morbid Taste for Bones ~ 1st book in the Chronicles of Brother Cadfael.

Very good. Easy but interesting historical type novel.
Hehe, these books are so excellent that I've read the next 14 or so in the series. I was in the middle of The Hermit of Eyton Forest, and then put it down for 4 months or so before the holidays. Got to pick it up and finish.

Then there are another 6 books in the chronicles which I will read!!!

:)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Also been meaning to check this one out. Dracula is a book that seems to get better every time I read it.

Currently tackling the final volume of the Malazan Book of the Fallen, The Crippled God.
Rhuvein wrote:
Ancalagon wrote:I just started The Jewel of Seven Stars by Bram Stoker.
I've had this on my list for years and then completely forgot about it. I really enjoyed Dracula.

Lemeno what you think of it when yer finished!

Thanks. :)

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Finally getting around to reading the entire Foundation series. I'm currently on Foundation's Edge.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Buttmonkey wrote:Finally getting around to reading the entire Foundation series. I'm currently on Foundation's Edge.
Fabulous series!

No, an astounding series!!!

Have you read the Robot series as well? You probably know that he merges that series with Foundation!

It's just brilliant the way he pulls them together. Every book is excellent and some of them are the best I've ever read in any category.

Asimov was a sci-fi genius!

Enjoy!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Been reading Triplanetary and listening to John Scalzi books.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I want to re-read the Foundation series but I'm not sure I really do, or not. Tempted to make my dwarfs more Asimovian.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I tried to read the Foundation series. I couldn't even get half way through the first book.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

I really enjoy Asimov's writings. With regard to I, Robot (the only book in the series I've read), it almost reads like a series of logic puzzles, which I found very enjoyable. As to current reading, I'm reading Dan Jones' The War the Roses: Fall of the Plantagenets and Rise of the Tudors as well as re-reading The Hobbit.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Just finished this:

And am now reading this:

For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

serleran wrote:I want to re-read the Foundation series but I'm not sure I really do, or not. Tempted to make my dwarfs more Asimovian.
Loooved the Foundation trilogy.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Slimy, I see that Pocket Star Trek novel. Takes me back. I still have mine from back in the day. Many of them were pretty decent, or better. Good choice!

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Yeah, I watched Star Trek TOS in its entirety again just recently, and I found myself still yearning for more. These novels are like getting brand new episodes for me. My favorite one to date –which I can’t at the moment remember the title of- was very similar to Metamorphosis Alpha, featuring a damaged colony ship floating through space with its inhabitants reduced to barbarism and superstition, not knowing their race continually lived and died on a space faring vessel. It was SUCH a coooool read.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

The Chronicles of Prydain, yes! Such a wonderful, magical series.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Yeah, I grew up on that awesomeness.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Oh, here's the Metamorphosis Alphay novel:

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Not sure if I have that one, Slimy. I do have some of the Bantam novels, as well as a good number of the Pocket novels into the late 80's or early 90's at least. I'm sure you have the Star Trek animated series. Always a nice way to get some extra mileage out of Trek. I highly recommend Star Trek Phase II New Voyages and Star Trek Continues? I haven't seen all of these fan made episodes. They're not always perfect but they're pretty damned good, and made with lots of love for Trek. James Doohan's son, Chris, portrays Scotty in the "Continues" series. Check em' out.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Yeah, I totally will tylermo. Thanks for the heads up.

The Galactic Whirlpool hath been my favorite Trek novel to date.

I have this one lined up as my next one to digest:

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Klingon Gambit. Own it, but it has been ages since I'Ve read it.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

the Foundation Novels are SO GOOD.

I'm currently about 3/4 of the way thru A Storm of Swords.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Reading has almost become non-existent what with our toddler running around. I hope to regain my reading time soon, but we have a baby girl due 4/22, so...
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Zudrak wrote:Image

Reading has almost become non-existent what with our toddler running around. I hope to regain my reading time soon, but we have a baby girl due 4/22, so...

Good book.

Good luck finding reading time with a toddler and another on the way. I figure you'll finish a book about once ever 2 years for the next 6 years... :lol:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Lurker wrote:
Zudrak wrote:Image

Good book.

Good luck finding reading time with a toddler and another on the way. I figure you'll finish a book about once ever 2 years for the next 6 years... :lol:
:lol: Yes, I do remember with my 12 year-old son how difficult it was to get free time until he was about 3 or so. Of course, my late first wife and I only had one, so we did not compound the matter. Heh. He does help with his younger brother a bit, so that's a nice advantage to the age gap.

I am enjoying the book, but it's been a week since I've read due to snow shoveling, etc. on top of the normal husband and fatherly duties.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The Awakened short stories from Samurai Sheepdog. There is some good stuff in there.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Finished reading The Crippled God and am now re-reading Feet of Clay, in honor of Terry Pratchett.

The Crippled God was quite excellent, but I think I’m over these sprawling thousand page fantasy series. I’ll finish A Song of Ice and Fire (if it ever does finish) and the Kingkiller Chronicles, because I’m invested in these tales, but I doubt I’ll be getting into any new ginormous book series.

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature and other essays by Murray N. Rothbard.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Besides reading Cadfael, I'm working my way through the Redwall Series by Brian Jacques.

Currently enjoying, Rakkety Tam! I believe it's the 17th book in the series.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Got bored reading Heinlein's Glory Road, so I'm continuing my way through Playing at the World. It's a slow go. I'm about 38% of the way through.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Re-reading, Dune!

It's simply a brilliant sci-fi novel ~ probably the best ever written.

:P

maximus
Lore Drake

Post by maximus »

Reading Empires of the Silk Road by an old college professor of mine. Some great stuff in there about the complex relationship between the steppe societies and the established kingdoms. Hoping to incorporate some ideas into my game.