Sunday night old school 1st-3rd print game ~ resurrected

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Kayolan
Lore Drake

Sunday night old school 1st-3rd print game ~ resurrected

Post by Kayolan »

Resurrecting this game after all these years, anyone that has played in it before may keep their characters if they wish, new characters are of course accepted.

We play every Sunday at 8:30 to 11:00 pm over Roll20: https://app.roll20.net/join/14229524/UJOMug

Starting XP is 20,000.

You start with 20,000 gp and you may spend that money on magic items that are found in M&T.

No multiclassing in this campaign.

Attributes are generated by rolling 3d6 six times and then assigning them as desired.

HP is rolled as per the rules.

All alignments are accepted.

Secondary skills are used.

Keep in mind that this is a by the book style game and sometimes it can be a little more than some can take. Others may find this style to their liking and I'm hoping to get players that will enjoy the game for what it is. I use the 1st-3rd printings of the PHB and M&T, and do not accept the changes to the rules that succeeded those volumes. That being said if you only have access to later printings then you should largely get by, unless you play an illusionist or a barbarian that is.

The adventures take place in the world of Aihrde. I don't use the Codex, only the After Winters Dark Folio (which is feel is more in keeping with the original Greyhawk Folio).

It is available for free here: https://www.trolllord.com/tlgstore/#!/C ... p/45132997

Here is a list of playable character races for this campaign:

human (Aenochian, Ethrum, Engale, etc.)
high elf
wood elf
wild elf
drow elf
gray elf
aquatic elf
dwarf
duergar
gnome
svirfneblin
half-orc
half-elf
halfling
centaur
dryad
pixie
leprechaun
lizardfolk
satyr

Here is a list of playable classes for this campaign:

assassin
barbarian
bard
cleric
crowner*
dervish*
druid
executioner*
fighter
freebooter*
friar*
goliard*
harlequin*
houri*
gallowglass*
horse warrior*
illusionist
knave*
knight
lore warden*
marksman*
merchant*
monk
paladin
ranger
rogue
spellsword*
wizard

* = Class is found in Netbook of Classes: https://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archiv ... fileid=221

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Anyone up for a game tonight?

Post by slimykuotoan »

Moi am! :)
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Anyone up for an old school 2nd printing game tonight?

Post by Kayolan »

:)

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Anyone up for a game tonight?

Post by slimykuotoan »

Rolling up a fighter...
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Re: Anyone up for an old school 2nd printing game tonigh

Post by slimykuotoan »

Gonna be tough. Gonna go btb.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Name: Aethelrand

Campaign: White Dragon Run

Land of Origin: Lathargrave Forest

Level: 5th

Race: Human

Class: Fighter

Alignment: Neutral Good

Languages: Human Engale

Birth: Second day of Uthdain

STR 14 +1 Prime

DEX 11 Prime

CON 13 +1

INT 11 Prime

WIS 9

CHAR 9

HP 35/

AC 19

BTH: +5

Specialization: Long Sword +1,+1

To Hit/Damage:

Long Sword +7/ 1d8+2

Magic Silver Long Sword +8/ 1d8+3

Sling +5/1d4

Small Hand Axe +1

Armour: Plate Mail +1

roman ensemble & med. steel shield, normal helm

Mail shirt

Equipment:

Long Sword

Short Sword

Composite Long Bow

20/ arrows

20 on horse

40' hemp rope

grappling hook

Sling

20 sling bullets

Backpack

Large sack

3 torches

flint and Steel

waterskin 75%

metal flask of oil

bronze lamp

weeks 16 days rations

bed roll

fishing gear

knife

waterskin

net

crowbar

whetstone

10 pitons

small tent

pot

bar of soap

hachet

cloak

iron kettle

1 lb of tea

armour/weapon oil

1 bottle wine

Fflewddur Light War Horse HD3 HP 22/ AC 16 damage 1d4+2/1d4+2/1d4, Harness, feed for 8 days 70lbs, saddle, bags 2, saddle blanket, bit & bridle, spd 60 ft

Magic Items:

Syrar's Magic Silver Long Sword +1 can affect ethereal/astral creatures, user can see into these planes 30' radius number of rounds as intelligence +1d4 rounds once per day

flint necklace with continuous flame

magic ring

Small Hand Axe +1

potion: cure light

potion: cure serious

Treasure:

Gold & silver mirror 225 gp

129 g.p.

156 s.p.

87 c.p.

124 pp

31 pp
162 gp
225 ep
525 sp
300 cp
2 jewelry 500 each
1 magic apple 150 gp
4 gems 100 each
5 gems 250 each
1 gem 500 gp

x.p.

Father: Aedwald, reindeer herder -100 left of dying herd
Brother: Orlih, died
Mother: Brytha, sick
Hilda the Wise said family under a curse by evil god Gaevud
Boscis the Merchant trying to buy reindeer, wife Greta along with sister Rita (missing)
Sir Kallan heads garrison
Onen god force and protection run by priestess Janra
Lord Lord Ontos Wyln runs area
12 toes inn and tavern run by Wornst Twelve Toes and Mana
Landon retired warrior -The Knights of Astilarian
Smoke, magic user with skeleton servants
Shasta, Kelle barmaids
Terey, armourer
Alfis the Ghezir, brigand leader
Smoke's master: Riffin
Dryad Aralina needs her cup back

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

That was an AWEsome amount of fun.

We went btb for all things, which made the game very desperate and tense: during my encounter with the goblins, I had to eventually flee up the trail, limping from many wounds.

For those of you afraid of voice chat then, you sooo missed out. :P

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Anyone up for an old school 2nd printing game tonight?

Post by Kayolan »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be that much fun, but it was a freakin' blast. Btb play is harsh at times, but Don you played it well. Now we just have to get some others to join :)

Looking to run this again though and make it a regular/semi-regular thing, anyone free on these nights: Wed, Friday, Saturday, Sunday?

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Anyone up for an old school 2nd printing game?

Post by slimykuotoan »

Aethelrand:

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

P.S. I rolled up this character's name using Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Looks like I missed this. If I had known I definitely would have tried to make bail for this! :lol: Can't miss a game with Kayolan and slimy.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

We'll play it again Aramis, hopefully next time you can make it. I'd like this to be a game that doesn't go away like the one-shots tend to do. Playing 1 on 1 was a lot of fun, hadn't done that in a long time, it's reminded me that even with just one player you can have a good time with it.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

What time of day did you play? How long? Was it just Roll20? Text? Voice? I have 1st printing, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th, but no 2nd. :(
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I clicked your link but it was 45 minutes after you started and I was in the middle of doing something in ESO, wasn't sure if you were well-underway.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

mbeacom wrote:What time of day did you play?

We always play in the evenings, usually starting around 8 pm eastern. I'm open to making it a bit later or earlier.
mbeacom wrote:How long?
For about 3 hours, maybe more. It depends on work schedules and so on.
mbeacom wrote:Was it just Roll20? Text? Voice?
Roll20 but we shut off the voice and video, using Skype for voice chat only.
mbeacom wrote:I have 1st printing, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th, but no 2nd. :(
Actually it's not required to have the 2nd printing to play, if there are differences between the books that come up we can adjust it for you, but since you have the 3rd printing, you are good to go as that is the same as the 2nd, but with a different kind of paper and a slightly changed cover design.

Let me know of any further questions you have. You are more than welcome to join us :)

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Yeah, definitely the more the merrier. The game was one of desperation, but was sooo much fun because of it.

Worrying about running out of food, not buying a shield so I could afford an iron pot instead, running away from a few goblins, etc. All actually made the game an intense blast.

I remember getting a free hunk of cheese at the inn and my character almost dying of gratitude.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

mbeacom wrote:...I have 1st printing, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th, but no 2nd. :(
Hey mbeacom. Yeah the 1st, 2nd and 3rd printings are all the same, baring some cosmetic or organizational differences.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Post by mbeacom »

It sounds great, and I'd love to join but unfortunately, my schedule runs very late. My window for play isn't early enough. :(
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Still looking for players, anyone available this weekend? I got tonight, Saturday and Sunday open.

Roll20 link: https://app.roll20.net/join/661948/s-3QBQ

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Anyone up for an old school 1st-3rd printing game tonigh

Post by Kayolan »

We got Aramis in, anyone else?

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Name: Marth ("Lucky")
Race:Elf
Alignment: CG
Class/Level:Cleric 3
ExP:6,001
Languages:
Deity Oercus (Master of the Forest)

Description: the ugliest, shambliest elf you have ever seen

STR:9
DEX:13 P
CON:9
INT:9
WIS:13 P
CHA:9

HP: 18
AC: 16
BtH: +1
# Atts:

Speed: 30
Size:
Fate:

Racial Traits:
Twilight Vision
Move Silently
Resist Charm/sleep
spot hidden doors
Weapon training long bow

Class Abilities:

Turn Undead (Wis)

Spells 4 3 1

create water
detect evil
detect magic
endure elements-

CLW-
Soundburst
Sanctuary-

hold person

Weapons:

composite longbow +1/+1/+2 +5 1d8 --

Magic Items:

Equip:

composite longbow
coat of plates
40 arrows

waterskin
leather sack
dagger
belt
torches
flint
flask holy water
deer pemican 1 week
fruit berries nuts 1 week

riding horse "Buttercup" 2 HD (8) AC 13 60 ft -2
harness
saddle
2 x saddle bags

tent
rope 50'
bullseye lantern
4 flasks of oil

Treasure
pp:
gp: 25
sp:
cp:
gems:

Notes:

His father remembers that the the day Marth was born, the midwife dropped him on his head. At one month, he caught forest fever and nearly died. He still suffers a bit from the ailment to this day. On his first day of school, he tripped and fell on a stone, knocking out a tooth. When his naming day came, his father named him Marth ("Lucky")...obviously

In spite of these limitations, he found his way, and decided to devote himsef to the worship of Oercus. He spends his days helping those in various forest outposts who stand against humanoid incursions by healing the sick, purifying the food, and filling their enemies with arrows

Marth belongs to the Eagle clan, responsible for the smithing and foraging for the community in the Lathargrave forest. More than occasionally, they have to fight off goblin incursions

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Another great session, this time a one on one game with Aramis...

session ran for about 5 hours

Looking to run this again this Saturday night (the 31st) at around the usual time, Aramis and Slimy should be there. Got room for more if anyone is interested.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Father-

I have reached the camp of some adventurers intent on finding this temple that the church has sent me to investigate. One of them is a paladin, but I shall take your wise words seriously and watch them all for any treachery. The humans are not to be trusted too much, as you taught me.

My journey to the town was without incident but I did encounter some local reindeer herders, one of whom seemed to be suffering a terrible curse. His reindeer were all sick, and his wife was gravely ill. I ministered to her, but to little avail.

On further inquiry, it transpired the curse was the work of that same temple that troubled my dreams, and this stricken family had sent their only remaining son to investigate the temple and perhaps lift the curse. I had to bite my tongue to prevent myself from expressing skepticism at any attempt to remove such a powerful curse without the aid of the Master of the Forest, long may he guard the trees and split our enemies with his holy arrows of divine justice!

In town, I was able to make the acquaintance of the local priests. These humans seem to believe as devotedly in their false gods as we do in our true one. It is passing strange.

I also spoke to the town garrison commander, who was initially cold to my efforts to trade my holy aid to their endeavors in return for some supplies, but I was able to talk to the local armorer and he was receptive to my entreaties. The local innkeep also seemed to be an honorable man. He is a friend of the family of the stricken herder. I have always believed that humans were not to be trusted, but perhaps I have not been given the full picture of human behavior. I am but 70 years old and have naught but the naive notions of a child. Eventually I was able to secure armor, a bow, and the kind innkeeper gave me a broken down nag to whom I gave the honorable and noble name of Buttercup

On the way north in pursuit of this son, I noted some rustling in the reeds by the trail, and was soon ambushed by giant frogs, hopping the length of our long house at every bound. I managed to use my holy powers to burst the light and word of Oercus among them, and they fell back in the face of his holy might, but their evil was strong, fed by an amphibious malice, and still they came. I fired a couple of arrows ineffectually and one of them managed to wrap its malodorous tongue around my waist. Buttercup needed little encouragement and began galloping down the trail dragging the foul toad, tongue and all, behind her. The frog eventually let go and presumably they returned to their swamp to chase game less guarded by the holy strength of the Mighty Archer

Thinking the danger had passed, I continued riding north. Unfortunately, the froggy denizens of this foul land had not yet done with me. 3 Bullywugs leaped from the side of the trail, each wielding a wicked spear. Without so much as a second to gather my wits, two of the blighters plunged their foul poles into the belly of my noble steed, slaying her. My anguished cry of "Buttercup!" echoed throughout the hills. As she fell, I barely managed to roll clear of her bleeding carcass. I don't know quite what happened, but a red mist covered my vision. I drew and fired my bow as though inspired by the holy spirit himself, and I managed to fell all three bullywugs while only suffering a small gash. Fortunately, Buttercup was not too far gone, and I managed to stuff her intestines back into her belly and seal it with the healing light of the Forest Lord.

As I write this, I am looking down at the camp of the son of the herder. He seems to have acquired the aid of a local paladin and wizard. Whether we will be able to face the entire evil I do not know, but woe to those grey cultists if they dare to even think of harming Buttercup

Sincerely,

Marth

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game tonight? (Jan. 3

Post by slimykuotoan »

I'm in.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Aethelrand sooo would've been slain by the bullywugs.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Excellent session guys!

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Another excellent session run by Kayolan.

The temple definitely gave off a creepy vibe and their crazed fanatical mutterings really captured the flavor. The attack by that "jack in the box" creature was cool, especially when the entire party was hypnotized/doomed except for Smoke the mage (smelling faintly of patchouli :lol: ) who used a magic missile to save the entire party from TPK even after I suggested taking sleep instead 8-)

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Yeah, that Necrophidius was a sight to behold.

I particularly enjoyed pulling a fast one on that evil priest: the rolls supported the narrative with that one.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I hope this 'basic C&C' game continues for some time.

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Re: Up for an old school 1st-3rd print game?

Post by Kayolan »

It was a memorable session indeed.

Looking forward to next game!