A fond farewell and thanks.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

A fond farewell and thanks.

Post by Sir Ironside »

Well reality has finally caught up to my expectations. My gaming "hobby" has been dead for a very, very long time and I've come to accept it is time to put it to rest and move onto something more fulfilling than what has seemingly turned into- buying books, flipping through them and putting them on a shelf to hardly ever be touched. I won't go into the why's of it but, my situation is hopeless and has been for a long time. I'm also not interested in doing any kind of online gaming as a big part of gaming for me has always been the social aspect.

I've noticed my interaction, here, has been less and less because I really have nothing to contribute. I don't see the point of keeping this forum in my daily cycle anymore.

So, why write this?

Because this has been a really great forum to be on and I appreciate interacting with everyone here. I just wanted to thank everyone for making my experience so enjoyable on this forum.

So, thanks, farewell and good gaming.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Re: A fond farewell and thanks.

Post by TheMetal1 »

Sir Iron,

I do hope this isn't a farewell forever, and that you'll at least stop by from time to time. Reference your situation being Hopeless, assuming you are referring to gaming, it took me quite a long time to get a game going, as like you, was more of a collector, but much to my surprise I managed to get a group together after many years.

Don't ever give up hope...with gaming or anything else.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Ironside, don't be a stranger around here. And don't cut out online gaming. We spend just as much time socializing as we do gaming. It has kept my gaming going for the last 7 years or so.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

I haven't been around for very long, but in my time on this forum I have noted that your contributions are always well thought out and well-said. I appreciate that and I hope that you come back every once in a while and say hello.

Perhaps the fates will smile upon you and you will miraculously get a group together, giving reason to spending more time here.
~DMSamuel
---

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sir Ironside wrote:Well reality has finally caught up to my expectations. My gaming "hobby" has been dead for a very, very long time and I've come to accept it is time to put it to rest and move onto something more fulfilling than what has seemingly turned into- buying books, flipping through them and putting them on a shelf to hardly ever be touched. I won't go into the why's of it but, my situation is hopeless and has been for a long time. I'm also not interested in doing any kind of online gaming as a big part of gaming for me has always been the social aspect.

I've noticed my interaction, here, has been less and less because I really have nothing to contribute. I don't see the point of keeping this forum in my daily cycle anymore.

So, why write this?

Because this has been a really great forum to be on and I appreciate interacting with everyone here. I just wanted to thank everyone for making my experience so enjoyable on this forum.

So, thanks, farewell and good gaming.
Well that just sucks, man!

I'm sorry you're situation has been deemed "hopeless." I hate to think that's the case. I guess if you live far from civilization or are otherwise unable to interact with those who could be prospective gamers, I can understand how you would definitely feel that way. And I dislike online gaming, too, and feel that the direct interaction of people is a big draw for me (personally) to the hobby.

If coming around is more bitter than sweet, then I can understand how coming here may seem frustrating and/or an exercise in futility. But if you truly love roleplaying, which I'm sure you do, then coming here and sharing thoughts, ideas, and opinions in conversation with like-minded people, those who could benefit from your input, would be a great way to keep the fires of gaming stoked...even if it's all it ever could be. Alternatively, while talking about gaming and sharing thoughts and ideas is nice, if you're committed to believing that you have nothing left to contribute, I can understand that you feel like leaving is the only/best option.

In the end, I understand. I've been in a few low places in my gaming history, where I've felt that all I'm doing is buying books to fill a bookshelf. Ultimately, you've got to preserve your sanity, and if leaving the community and focusing your efforts into something more rewarding is a better option, I wish you luck. I sincerely hope you reconsider, but if you must leave I bid you farewell and happy days.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

A Lore Drake salute to you.

If you decide even tomorrow morning you want to come back, just do, key is under the mat.

And keep in touch, you can even let us know how not gaming is going.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, we do about as much socializing (Talking) as we do gaming, if not more. So I wish you would at least give it a try before writing it off forever. So sorry to see you go, you've been a great forum member.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

You will be missed. Maybe your situation will improve and you will pick gaming back up someday. If not, I hope you find another outlet for your energy and interests. Good luck!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

You never know what the future may hold. You have with you an incredible amount of of gaming knowledge, even without a single rule book on your shelf. I will miss calling you Wheelz. Take care good sir, and well met. *tips hat*

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Hopefully not for good, Sir. Many good discussions yet to be had. I hope you'll reconsider.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Sorry to hear the hobby isn't fulfilling for you at this point in time. Hopefully, as has already been mentioned, it won't be farewell for good. Hobbies have ebb and flow and perhaps there will be a confluence of events in the future that will reinvigorate role-playing gaming for you.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

I don't know you very well, other than the contributions I have see you make to these forums, but sorry to hear that you feel your gaming situation is hopeless. I know you said that online gaming is not appealing to you, because it lacks the social element, but in the online games I have played via Roll20, it has been VERY social. No different than sitting around a table really. Especially when gaming with friends.

The games I play in are online for that very reason: we all live in different parts of the world and carve out time to game together when we can, and it has been great. Like you, I was also skeptical, but in the end, we still kill monsters, loot treasure, make jokes, and all the other stuff we would do if we were able to game physically together. Except we can't. The tyranny of distance. That is where the marvel of the internet comes into play! :)

jdizzy001
Ulthal

Post by jdizzy001 »

I understand your plight. Preferences change throughout life. Enjoy it while you can, good luck and may the force be with you!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

TheMetal1 wrote:Sir Iron,

I do hope this isn't a farewell forever, and that you'll at least stop by from time to time. Reference your situation being Hopeless, assuming you are referring to gaming, it took me quite a long time to get a game going, as like you, was more of a collector, but much to my surprise I managed to get a group together after many years.

Don't ever give up hope...with gaming or anything else.
I too hope it isn't forever.

Also, I agree with the hopeless and took along time to game statement.

I to was in that situation, more than once, over the last ...10 no 15 years ... Real life got in the way when I moved to Italy, a few games when I PCSed back to the states but stopped when 3.5 came out. Then started again when I found C&C, then had to drop out again when I started my degree, moved back to OK, and then started my masters. Only recently did I get to start gaming. All those years with no gaming. I too looked at my books and all the stuff I wanted from TLG and thought 'why bother'. However,
Treebore wrote:Yeah, we do about as much socializing (Talking) as we do gaming, if not more. So I wish you would at least give it a try before writing it off forever. So sorry to see you go, you've been a great forum member.
I lucked into some great games on the on-line gaming. Good groups, good games good friends. It may not fit your path, but it is an option.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Sir Ironside wrote:I'm also not interested in doing any kind of online gaming as a big part of gaming for me has always been the social aspect.

It's too bad you never gave this a shot really. My online gaming friends are now my best friends.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

It was a pleasure to have met you if even only online. I hope that your gaming situation changes for the better.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Never met him in person, but he was a great guy. He sent me a very nice gift based on a conversation Treebore and I were having in the last year or so. Wouldn't accept anything in return. I enjoyed having him around the forums. PM'd him twice, and it sounds like his mind is made up. All we can do is respect that. Had nothing to do with any experiences here at the TLG forums. I'm sorry he won't be around.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

I may be too late in replying, as I do not "get here" as often as I would like, Sir Ironside, but I would like to echo the sentiments above mine. I know we haven't crossed paths too often here, but when I've read your posts, they have been insightful and knowledgeable. It will be sad to go without your insight in future.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax