Castles & Crusades: Blacktooth Ridge (T.V. Pilot)

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Castles & Crusades: Blacktooth Ridge (T.V. Pilot)

Post by TheMetal1 »

So...a pilot for a C&C series based around Blacktooth Ridge in Ahirde. Here is the link:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/d2 ... e-tv-pilot
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Castles & Crusades: Blacktooth Ridge (T.V. Pilot)

Post by Julian Grimm »

Can I be honest?
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

Just a suggestion; no fake English accents and hire some actual actors, other than that good luck on the KS you have my support.

IMP

Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Post by Warunsun »

Julian Grimm wrote:Can I be honest?
I will be. This thing doesn't get a dime from me. I am not interested in television. Plus the parent company is running several kickstarters for this kind of thing and honestly should already be overwhelmed if they truly want to deliver on any of them. Breaking into television is very hard.

I don't think it is a good practice to run several unfulfilled kickstarters at the same time especially something whacky like trying to get RPGs on television. Really, even more normal kickstarter promotions should be completed one at a time.

But I will say good luck to all invested.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

I will pony up when I get home. But, I think trying to get it available on Hulu, et al rather than broadcast or cable TV (QUICKLY dying medium) is a more economical and realistic idea. My S/O grew up with and is friends with a VERY successful TV series producer & director and I can tell you, it is brutal trying to get a new show onto broadcast.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

ChaosImp wrote:Just a suggestion; no fake English accents and hire some actual actors, other than that good luck on the KS you have my support.

IMP
Why do people ALWAYS think medieval fantasy means English accents? The big guy in the bar sounded horrible.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I don't think anyone in the UK would lay claim to that accent. I think that is a Kentucky accent after getting hit really hard in the skull, and then ODing on painkillers afterward.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

This rates points on a cool idea scale. But I stopped watching TV years ago.

Unfortunately, this just seems to lack a wow factor IMO, though I wish them luck.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Warunsun wrote:
I will be. This thing doesn't get a dime from me. I am not interested in television. Plus the parent company is running several kickstarters for this kind of thing and honestly should already be overwhelmed if they truly want to deliver on any of them. Breaking into television is very hard.

I don't think it is a good practice to run several unfulfilled kickstarters at the same time especially something whacky like trying to get RPGs on television. Really, even more normal kickstarter promotions should be completed one at a time.

I can agree with that but I also think that TLG needs to focus on some of their outstanding projects. For example, the C&CS/KOtC rebuild has all but stalled and I think they need to focus more on getting the pipeline clean and look at supporting products like StarSiege and Fields of Battle.

Normally, I don't do Kickstarters but I will make a public promise; Get some stuff going for StarSiege and/or some form of mini's (paper or otherwise) for C&C or FoB and I'll throw a few bucks at it.
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Lose the accents. Anything vaguely fantasy now, will be perceived as a Game of Thrones knock-off.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Snoring Rock wrote:Lose the accents. Anything vaguely fantasy now, will be perceived as a Game of Thrones knock-off.

What's a game of thrones?
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Julian Grimm wrote:
Warunsun wrote:

I can agree with that but I also think that TLG needs to focus on some of their outstanding projects. For example, the C&CS/KOtC rebuild has all but stalled and I think they need to focus more on getting the pipeline clean and look at supporting products like StarSiege and Fields of Battle.

Normally, I don't do Kickstarters but I will make a public promise; Get some stuff going for StarSiege and/or some form of mini's (paper or otherwise) for C&C or FoB and I'll throw a few bucks at it.
TLG is not doing this project, this is a d20 Entertainment venture. Ken pitched it to me a Gencon. So no fears that it will slow down the present projects we are doing.

A quick update:

The C&CS/KoTC hasn't stalled at all. Koster is working on making all the moving parts work together. So people can download and fill out forms etc etc. Its all programming stuff, etc
Check it out it is awesome: [url=http://www.castlesandcrusades.com/socie ... m/society/[/url]

Monsters and Treasure is waiting for a slot at the printers.

Codex of Aihrde is being released in chunks to backers. Should be done soon (its just me farthing with things now and I need to quit).

As for Fields of Battle, we have nothing even lingering near the pipe line to expand that product. Its complete. And StarSiege will need a heavy rewrite before it is released again. It has to be brought in line with the Siege Engine.

But for d20 Entertainment's venture. There was no way in heck I was going to pass this up. I've been talking to Ken about doing youtube advertisements for C&C for about 4 months now and this is a great first step…my first ad script is lots of fun and he's just the guy to do it. But if they can get something going with this Blacktooth Ridge project, then we are all over it, whether tv, cable, web series, doesn't matter.

And I agree with EVERYONE…the English accents have to stop. just speak so I can understand. Stop mumbling too and speaking all 'cool and deep, quiet like'. I watched Into the Furnace the other day with Christian Bael and Woody Harellson…great movie, but couldn't understand half of their mumblings.

Steve

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm not backing it because they break one of my rules I use for supporting KS's. As mentioned earlier, they have too many previous KS' that have yet to be fulfilled. My rules are why I am 40-0 on fulfillment versus disappointment with my Kickstarters. Yes, that is right, I have backed 40 of them, and haven't gotten burned a single time. I've had to wait a long time for a couple of them, but the problems they ran into were fully disclosed and handled ASAP, so I am still happy.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Treebore wrote:My rules are why I am 40-0 on fulfillment versus disappointment with my Kickstarters. Yes, that is right, I have backed 40 of them, and haven't gotten burned a single time. I've had to wait a long time for a couple of them, but the problems they ran into were fully disclosed and handled ASAP, so I am still happy.
I don't have any similar rules (actually, I'm a backer on this one as well as one of his other ones) and I've backed 70 projects with the same track record as you.

Warunsun
Hlobane Orc

Post by Warunsun »

Treebore wrote:I'm not backing it because they break one of my rules I use for supporting KS's. As mentioned earlier, they have too many previous KS' that have yet to be fulfilled. My rules are why I am 40-0 on fulfillment versus disappointment with my Kickstarters. Yes, that is right, I have backed 40 of them, and haven't gotten burned a single time. I've had to wait a long time for a couple of them, but the problems they ran into were fully disclosed and handled ASAP, so I am still happy.
I definitely understand that. I have only backed 10 in my life and for certain 7 of them were late or are currently late and 4 remain unfulfilled past the original promised dates. I have also noticed that since Kickstarter has become more popular that the delays are begging to become expected and longer. This is a bad trend. Nearly all of the kickstarters I backed were from established companies with track records and real business addresses as well. But they still are late but as with Treebore most of them provided good communications and authentic reasons for their lateness.

However, most of them do only a single Kickstarter at a time and focus on fulfillment before starting a new enterprise. I am very leery of getting involved with any company with multiple open and unfulfilled Kickstarters.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Are they thinking broadcast TV or YouTube?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Pretty sure they are hoping to get it on TV.

Agree on the accents.

I backed only due to the Leather Bound Core rule book that only will have 50 copies made. Far as I can tell it has Blacktooth Ridge under the Castle and Crusades in foil stamp.

I still might pull pledge though due to two other campaigns ending Nov 2nd.

I have backed 66 completed under ID with a further six on another ID then have four more that are currently running.

For the most part everything has delivered or I have no reason to believe they will not deliver. Film projects are notoriously late though.

Sean

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Stephen, I regret to hear that there might not be an expansion of Fields of Battle. It's a great product, and I think pdf figure flats, expanded creature units, and scenarios (provided Casey or another qualified individual have the time) would be great. It wouldn't be a major printing of more materials, just some odd pdf files. ;)

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

tylermo wrote:Stephen, I regret to hear that there might not be an expansion of Fields of Battle. It's a great product, and I think pdf figure flats, expanded creature units, and scenarios (provided Casey or another qualified individual have the time) would be great. It wouldn't be a major printing of more materials, just some odd pdf files. ;)
That would be killer.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

As for Starsiege, I playtested it in 2008. I thought it had a lot of potential, but as Stephen said, it needs to be brought more in line with the Siege Engine. Any future TLG products for other genres need to more or less fit the C&C/Amazing Adventures mold if you ask me.

Rotten
Skobbit

Post by Rotten »

I'm backing the Blacktooth Ridge show. It's a better topic/theme than 95% of the junk on TV.

I like the Brothers Barbarian and shows like Journey Quest and Walking in Circles.

I'm hoping this is of similar quality or better.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Troll Lord wrote:
Julian Grimm wrote:
Warunsun wrote:

TLG is not doing this project, this is a d20 Entertainment venture. Ken pitched it to me a Gencon. So no fears that it will slow down the present projects we are doing.
But you are listed as the Executive Producer on it which will involve TLG at some point. This was where I was coming from.

The C&CS/KoTC hasn't stalled at all. Koster is working on making all the moving parts work together. So people can download and fill out forms etc etc. Its all programming stuff, etc
Check it out it is awesome: [url=http://www.castlesandcrusades.com/socie ... m/society/[/url]
There are threads in the KoC section that are awaiting answers from TLG and I have sent at least on e-mail to you that has had no response. This is why I feared it had stalled. I am glad to see the programming side is going well but there is some organizational stuff that needs to be worked out. Hope you understand where I would get that impression. :)

As for Fields of Battle, we have nothing even lingering near the pipe line to expand that product. Its complete. And StarSiege will need a heavy rewrite before it is released again. It has to be brought in line with the Siege Engine.

I agree on the latter but not on the former. I ordered a version a while back that I thought was the boxed set. It wasn't, no big deal. But a line of figure flats (as mentioned above) or paper models would help drive the game.

As for StarSiege, the game is good but does need a rewrite. I know there is a thread on this very thing in the StarSiege forum and I would love to see this get going.

Hope you understand where I am coming from. :)
Lord Skystorm

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Will it have a dwarf?

No dwarf, no backing.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

Its slowing climbing!

$1,997 so far....respectable!

TensersFloatingDisk
Mist Elf

Post by TensersFloatingDisk »

AGNKim wrote:
ChaosImp wrote:Just a suggestion; no fake English accents and hire some actual actors, other than that good luck on the KS you have my support.

IMP
Why do people ALWAYS think medieval fantasy means English accents? The big guy in the bar sounded horrible.
Oh, was he meant to be English?

exoknight
Ungern

Post by exoknight »

After watching the video I have a question. What genre is the show comedy or drama?
Check out my Blog.
Monster's Lair: A blog about uncommon creatures from OD&D to D20.
http://creaturespotlight.blogspot.com/

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Another incentive is to add Davis Chenault to the main cast. If you've seen his performance on the TLG Dr. Pepper outtake video, you know what I mean. Davis simply has to be in the cast. ;) And, here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8MseuJ6dSo

A Troll Lord video classic!

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

$3,345 and 76 backers. It's climbing!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

I wouldn't harsh too much on the video. Ken did that with no funding and all volunteers. He's the tall guy with the accent and had to take on the roll of the messenger while he was directing. He won't be in the pilot as far as I know. But do take a moment and look at the quality of the film, the angles and shots, as well as the backdrop. Its very good. All this with no money at all.

Concerning the tone, if it gets funding I'll be writing the script for it and I'm not inclined to write humor into anything I do (well, except skypes to the other idiots that work around here, but I'm not sure where the line between humor and vulgar is? :lol: ). So the pilot will be serious, more dramatic. Ken has some great ideas that we'll build in the show, but the humor angle will be few and far between.

This is a huge opportunity for C&C.

Thanks!
Steve

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Troll Lord wrote:I wouldn't harsh too much on the video. Ken did that with no funding and all volunteers. He's the tall guy with the accent and had to take on the roll of the messenger while he was directing. He won't be in the pilot as far as I know. But do take a moment and look at the quality of the film, the angles and shots, as well as the backdrop. Its very good. All this with no money at all.

Concerning the tone, if it gets funding I'll be writing the script for it and I'm not inclined to write humor into anything I do (well, except skypes to the other idiots that work around here, but I'm not sure where the line between humor and vulgar is? :lol: ). So the pilot will be serious, more dramatic. Ken has some great ideas that we'll build in the show, but the humor angle will be few and far between.

This is a huge opportunity for C&C.

Thanks!
Steve
I think you should use some of our gaming sessions as the basis for a script or two. The jokes write themselves.