D&D 5th Edition Discussion

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: D&D 5th Edition Discussion

Post by tylermo »

Duh. There are pdf's of some of the installments. Still yet, can't wait to see the print book.

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

I DMed my first D&D 5th game last night. I ran the first chapter of the Hoard of the Dragon Queen adventure. The game went really well. Just like C&C this game seems easy to DM. The skillsystem was intuitive and very easy to use. We used minis and combat seemed fast and pretty deadly (players were LUCKY that they didn't have a TPK). We have yet to see how high level combat turns out (I have my concerns!).
Overall the classes seemed balanced, although the dwarf cleric with War domain was a bit over the top with his bonus attack actions and powerfull spells. I suspect this advantage will diminish as the characters rise in level.
So far I like the adventure, which is a lot less dungeon-crawly than I expected.
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
https://youtu.be/c7ULaz7yRig

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Interesting 5E resource on ENWorld...

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... t-Database
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I rolled up a character for an eventual game, and it looks pretty interesting. I playtested it early in the period, and it looks a bit different now. I had only been making (very) casual observations of it, and was actually growing quite cold on the system but I bought the PHB (through a WPN store, August 8th), and I'm not disappointed. I do like how the final product turned out.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:I rolled up a character for an eventual game, and it looks pretty interesting. I playtested it early in the period, and it looks a bit different now. I had only been making (very) casual observations of it, and was actually growing quite cold on the system but I bought the PHB (through a WPN store, August 8th), and I'm not disappointed. I do like how the final product turned out.
Yep, over all I feel very positive about it. Which is a good thing. A nice change from the last 10 years or so.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Played a third session last night. It's not bad, but mainly an outlet for getting to play instead of gm'ing all of the time. Money's tight and other things interest me far more, so doubtful I'll plunk down for a phb. Everybody at the table still reminds me about how much I dislike the picture of the halfling in the race section. Might even be worse than the D&D 2.5 phb rosy-cheeked bard with the feather in his hat, and the striped panted leg. :lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'd say my most favorite thing about what is done in 5E is the different "pathways" that are given to each class. Of course, they will ruin it for me with all the future splat books they are going to do, offering up thousands of other pathways. Which is fine, since I've never intended to go beyond the core books anyways. So I guess I should say, "Which is fine, since I intend to never go beyond the core books anyways."

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Treebore wrote:I'd say my most favorite thing about what is done in 5E is the different "pathways" that are given to each class. Of course, they will ruin it for me with all the future splat books they are going to do, offering up thousands of other pathways. Which is fine, since I've never intended to go beyond the core books anyways. So I guess I should say, "Which is fine, since I intend to never go beyond the core books anyways."
That's my fear as well. At its core, the latest edition of D&D seems quite good to me. But, if we add in complete X, Y, and Z splat books there will invariably be over-complication and potentially broken mechanics introduced. And then there's the matter of the weight of lugging all the extra stuff around from session to session...

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I don't always use the extra books, but I typically lug several C&C books around (phb, ckg, m&t, m&t of a, cm, og&m, a half dozen modules, and fields of battle at least). Still doesn't feel overly-splatty in our neck of the woods. ;)

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Yep, I can also see this happening. The rules expansions have always been where the past editions of D&D have broken down, where some of the most broken rules have shown up (arguably even going back to 1e). That's why I’m starting my 5e campaign with the rule that the only character content allowed is the stuff in the PHB.
Treebore wrote:I'd say my most favorite thing about what is done in 5E is the different "pathways" that are given to each class. Of course, they will ruin it for me with all the future splat books they are going to do, offering up thousands of other pathways. Which is fine, since I've never intended to go beyond the core books anyways. So I guess I should say, "Which is fine, since I intend to never go beyond the core books anyways."

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

This takes me back: when I was gaming in high school (90 - 94) we'd each lug a BACKPACK full of books to the table each session. LOL. it's no wonder Kinghts of the Dinner table invented Hackmaster as a parody.
(which then became real, go figure).

at the time, since we just added a rule or two at a time as they were published, it was easy to learn the new ones we used. to jump in cold would have been tough! Hence, C&C for me now!

[/digression]
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Thought I would chime in now that I have had a chance to see the PHB and flip through the MM. Overall I like the books, nice production values, easy to find rules and it does retain the modular nature that was promised. A quick scan shows that the game is very friendly to classic play styles and keeps the D&D pedigree nicely.

Now for the bad part. I turned the book over and saw what it was selling for. If I had the money or was not so invested in C&C I might have considered it. However, in my opinion the books are too high and to run a game (Which I would end up doing) requires too much of an investment. While WOTC made what looks like a good game they priced me out of buying in from the get-go. So, for now it looks like I will stick with C&C.

I am saving my pennies for the new FR book though...
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Julian Grimm wrote: Now for the bad part. I turned the book over and saw what it was selling for. If I had the money or was not so invested in C&C I might have considered it. However, in my opinion the books are too high and to run a game (Which I would end up doing) requires too much of an investment.
There is inflation for ya. I purchased the AD&D PHB in '77 or '78 for ~$18.00 I think. In today's dollars that = $65.00

So, it is actually priced far, FAR less than back in those days...
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:
Julian Grimm wrote: Now for the bad part. I turned the book over and saw what it was selling for. If I had the money or was not so invested in C&C I might have considered it. However, in my opinion the books are too high and to run a game (Which I would end up doing) requires too much of an investment.
There is inflation for ya. I purchased the AD&D PHB in '77 or '78 for ~$18.00 I think. In today's dollars that = $65.00

Plus, technically, the "investment" to get into 5E are the free PDF's.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:

Plus, technically, the "investment" to get into 5E are the free PDF's.
Yep. I was referring to the C&C cost but 5th Ed D&D IS $0.00 if you want to play or DM.

Can't beat that with an enchanted stick.

House Rules

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Arduin wrote: There is inflation for ya. I purchased the AD&D PHB in '77 or '78 for ~$18.00 I think. In today's dollars that = $65.00
WOW!
That's some perspective. I remember when I started in 90 each book was $20. (the hardbacks - PHB, DMG, etc) which was a good price.
Bill D.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Relaxo wrote:
Arduin wrote: There is inflation for ya. I purchased the AD&D PHB in '77 or '78 for ~$18.00 I think. In today's dollars that = $65.00
WOW!
That's some perspective. I remember when I started in 90 each book was $20. (the hardbacks - PHB, DMG, etc) which was a good price.
The real "Wow" comes when you look at the income tax brackets and see that they haven't kept pace... More and more of your REAL spendable $ gets taken each years. The year Fed Income tax was instituted $5,000+ was the lowest bracket. (and they sold the Income Tax Amendment on what follows)

Below that level there was no Income tax. Well, that $5k is = to $120,000 now. In other words, IF the Fed gov had kept the tax brackets adjusted for inflation, only income greater that $120,000 would be taxable... :o

House Rules

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

wow indeed!
I've read that since 1970 the costs of inflexible demand things such as housing, fuel & utilities have inflated wildly while incomes have been stagnant (of course I have no figures). This is why the middle class is disappearing and even those of us who scrimp and save and cut back on all non-essentials are still struggling just to tread water, let alone get ahead a little.
damn.

I suppose this is dangerously close to veering into politics.
Bill D.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Relaxo wrote:wow indeed!
I've read that since 1970 the costs of inflexible demand things such as housing, fuel & utilities have inflated wildly while incomes have been stagnant (of course I have no figures). This is why the middle class is disappearing and even those of us who scrimp and save and cut back on all non-essentials are still struggling just to tread water, let alone get ahead a little.
damn.

I suppose this is dangerously close to veering into politics.
Correct. Plus the tax situation above. Bu, bye 1st World country.

House Rules

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

No wonder I love fantasy and games!
EEK!
Bill D.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'll keep my comments about this topic to myself. I don't know about this site in particular, but too many other "geek pop culture" websites are sometimes notoriously one-sided. That can probably be said of many websites/forums/chat rooms, etc. It's sad that we can't have these sorts of discussions but there's always that one person, or a majority (sometimes) that get offended by a little of nothing. Getting back on track...D&D 5 okay, but I'm not making the investment. C&C works perfectly fine for me.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:I'll keep my comments about this topic to myself. I don't know about this site in particular, but too many other "geek pop culture" websites are sometimes notoriously one-sided.
That's why I keep it to math equations, statements of actual events and leave politics behind.

House Rules

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Indeed you have, Arduin. You wouldn't have offended me either way. I don't get my feathers ruffled. I'm the person who would actually welcome the discussion, but I've seen how that goes from a few folks on both sides. ;)

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:Indeed you have, Arduin. You wouldn't have offended me either way. I don't get my feathers ruffled. I'm the person who would actually welcome the discussion, but I've seen how that goes from a few folks on both sides. ;)
Unfortunately you are correct.

House Rules

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Arduin is dead on about the inflation part. What I was referring to was that there is a lack of disposable income on my end so the price and a longer investment in C&C is what left me out. Then again, we are talking about a guy who also makes a box of 7.62x54 a priority purchase. :lol:
Lord Skystorm

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Julian Grimm wrote:Then again, we are talking about a guy who also makes a box of 7.62x54 a priority purchase. :lol:

Well, you have your priorities straight at least. :ugeek:

p.s. has the price and availability gotten better recently?

House Rules

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

$11 for Wolf brand here (box of 20). I like 'em but they have a slight habit of not wanting eject properly from the Mosin. I get enough money save up I'll try to get a 100 rounds bought just for target shooting. However with deer season coming and having a feral pig issue in the area I am shooting more. So I can justify the amount.

[edit to add] Availability is not bad but, my best friend also reloads so I get by a bit cheaper. There's a gun show coming in October so I am hoping to get lucky and get a few more rounds cheap.
Lord Skystorm

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Julian Grimm wrote:$11 for Wolf brand here (box of 20). I like 'em but they have a slight habit of not wanting eject properly from the Mosin. I get enough money save up I'll try to get a 100 rounds bought just for target shooting. However with deer season coming and having a feral pig issue in the area I am shooting more. So I can justify the amount.

[edit to add] Availability is not bad but, my best friend also reloads so I get by a bit cheaper. There's a gun show coming in October so I am hoping to get lucky and get a few more rounds cheap.

Thanks. I moved recently so am in less rural setting and don't shoot as much anymore. Nice weapon BTW. Those are very collectable these days.

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I've been able to find .357 for substantially less lately, and have them in stock. Can't say the same for .302. Still, it appears all the fear buying is finally dying down.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:I've been able to find .357 for substantially less lately, and have them in stock. Can't say the same for .302. Still, it appears all the fear buying is finally dying down.
9mm is coming back on line too.

House Rules