First time I have ever had to do it

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

First time I have ever had to do it

Post by Julian Grimm »

For the first time ever I had to kick a player out of my game. It had been brewing for awhile as he became increasingly disruptive, interrupted players and pouting when he did not get his way. Over time he went from enthusiastic to trying to make the game center around him and slowing sessions to a crawl. I had one of the store staff talk with him and he calmed down a bit but then he went back to the pattern at the end of the session.

When one player began to pack up his stuff and a couple others said that the game was being ruined for them I made the decision to cut the problem. While I don't like doing this it had to be done and everyone was supportive of the idea. I am looking forward to getting the campaign back on track and not having the problems next session. So, I guess it works out.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Re: First time I have ever had to do it

Post by mgtremaine »

I know that feeling! I had to do the same thing a few years ago. As loath as I was to do it, it worked out for the best in the long run. The participation of others went way up once the other player was gone. So good for you!

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

I stopped playing with one group rather than kick out the couple that were causing the problem, hard to kick out 1/3 of an already small group.. but yeah it sucks when the dynamic of an otherwise good group get messed with.

Well done, your loyal gamers likely will knight you for it.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

It's a tough call, but you can't let one person ruin the experience for everyone else.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:It's a tough call, but you can't let one person ruin the experience for everyone else.

R-

Exactly.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Being an asshole is a choice, not a disability. I have no problems booting people.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The needs of the many outweigh those of the few, or the one.
Well, unless the one is the DM, then your needs obviously win.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

That sucks. Sorry dude.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

AGNKim wrote:Being an asshole is a choice, not a disability. I have no problems booting people.
I agree with Kim. I haven't had to do it too often in the past, but I have no tolerance for someone being a jackass and screwing everyone else over for their own amusement. I operate on a three strikes rule. I ask the first time. I tell the second. Third= bye bye, don't come back y'all.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

Relaxo wrote:That sucks. Sorry dude.
Pretty much.

Of course this is why I play with close friends and family and do not attempt to run games at stores or cons for people I do not know.

I will play in a game or con game but not run one. it is easier to drop from a game as a player than to boot a bad player as a GM.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

concobar wrote:I will play in a game or con game but not run one. it is easier to drop from a game as a player than to boot a bad player as a GM.
Interesting - I've never had problems with any players at con games, but then I've mainly run them at GaryCon and most of the players are good :)

Of course there was the game Morty & Rigon got the party stuck in the brothel for an hour of game time.... :twisted:
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

DMSamuel
Red Cap

Post by DMSamuel »

That is a tough situation to be in. I haven't had to do it in several years, but I have kicked players out in the past. No matter how much I knew it would save my game, it still sucked to have to boot someone.

I have a high tolerance for shenanigans as long as the other players are also having fun. As soon as I see that the others aren't into it the disruptor gets asked to modify their behavior. If that doesn't work they get uninvited.
~DMSamuel
---

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

seskis281 wrote:
concobar wrote:I will play in a game or con game but not run one. it is easier to drop from a game as a player than to boot a bad player as a GM.
Interesting - I've never had problems with any players at con games, but then I've mainly run them at GaryCon and most of the players are good :)

Of course there was the game Morty & Rigon got the party stuck in the brothel for an hour of game time.... :twisted:
CLANG!

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I have been kicked out of enough games to know how awful one must be to have it happen.

Sorry you dealt with someone.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I've never been kicked out of a game but several times the game was apparently out in the country, and they drove me out there and told me to go off in the field and start setting things up, then someone gets a call or something I imagine and they have to drive off without me. Then I guess the game dies off because no one invites me to it anymore.

Great bunch of groups though, crossing my fingers that they start playing again.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Normally, I can tolerate a lot before I have to do something. The last time it came close was when two players left and killed the game to go on what we found out was a pot run. Before I had to do something about it they informed me that they would not have the gas to drive to the game. I kind of dodged a bullet on that one but mixed with some other stuff they did the final straw was found.

This time I had to do something or a successful store game that is bringing in potential customers was at stake. Again I don't like to do this but on occasion you have to think of the group before and individual.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I had to do the same a year ago. We were short on players and I was at the local Staples making copies of a map. The guy at the counter asked about the game and I invited him. It went well at first then he started using some strong language, and none of us use that kind of language. I had a chat after the session with him and it seemed ok. Then the next session he started dictating how another player should have handled a situation. The other player just let it go. The next session the guy started barking orders at the entire party and the language started again.

I had a final talk with him. He did not seem to understand that his brilliance could not be understood by others. Anyway the next week, he was at it again so he got the boot.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Bummer, thread, no doubt. Shame that so many have had to deal with such problem players. I had a player a long time ago that was ultra-competitive against the rest of the group, to the point of browbeating them and trying to duel them in-game. We just stopped gaming with him and fun was allowed to come back to the game.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I had one or two that I came near to booting. One at my house. The guy wasn't on a complete tirade, but he was getting pissy about his gaming predicament. I thought, "Really? In MY house?", but the words never got out. haha I've come across a couple of players from time to time that tend to argue every bit of treasure, xp, or whatever. There's one in every game store. hahah Also, let us not forget those who have an aversion to soap, deoderant, and belts. As for the language at a game table I'll roll with whatever (generally), as long as none are offended, and/or kids are present.

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

I've had to do it once. It wasn't fun, but it was necessary.

The climactic scene was in the University library meeting room, with 15 gamers seated around a table, and me telling 7 of them to get lost.

The games got SO much better after that, though.
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society