it's not me

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

it's not me

Post by Relaxo »

You shouldn't buy used tires, right? that just seems like all kinds of trouble waiting to happen.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Re: it's not me

Post by DeadReborn »

I've bought used before and never had a problem.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I would never do it, but I'm squeamish. The highway is littered with retreads that blew apart. I think I'll pass on that experience.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Buttmonkey wrote:I would never do it, but I'm squeamish. The highway is littered with retreads that blew apart. I think I'll pass on that experience.
I've run retreads for 2 years and they're still holding up. Granted it's time for a new ones, but you have that after a couple of years with regular tires.

As for used tires, give them a good look over. As long as they aren't showing signs of cracking or tearing, you should be alright with them.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Buttmonkey wrote:I would never do it, but I'm squeamish. The highway is littered with retreads that blew apart. I think I'll pass on that experience.
Actually, most of those "retreads littering the highway" are actually from new truck tires.
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/ar ... 43wNfldUe4

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

mmbutter wrote:
Actually, most of those "retreads littering the highway" are actually from new truck tires.
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/ar ... 43wNfldUe4
That's a pretty lop-sided piece of "journalism." I have no idea if the article is accurate, but it sure isn't reliable. It quotes only one source, an industry spokesperson for the retread industry. The article author does refer to her source as "very straight-talking," so there you go. ;)
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Buttmonkey wrote:That's a pretty lop-sided piece of "journalism." I have no idea if the article is accurate, but it sure isn't reliable. It quotes only one source, an industry spokesperson for the retread industry. The article author does refer to her source as "very straight-talking," so there you go. ;)
"Researchers turned to a tire-failure-analysis consulting firm in Ohio to analyze the debris. The firm analyzed the individual fragments and casings and classified the probable cause of failure for each item, if known."
"For both casings and fragments, tire failure due to the retread manufacturing process was under 15 percent."
http://www.umtri.umich.edu/content/rr40_3.pdf

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The hardest thing to spot is tire rot. Thats the only thing I have ever had effect me with buying used/retread tires, but most of the time, they have been fine, so I'd buy them again.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Im on runflat tires so no used for me. Ive never actually bought used tires for any of my vehicles.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:The hardest thing to spot is tire rot. Thats the only thing I have ever had effect me with buying used/retread tires, but most of the time, they have been fine, so I'd buy them again.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to get retreads again at the end of the summer.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

mmbutter wrote: "Researchers turned to a tire-failure-analysis consulting firm in Ohio to analyze the debris. The firm analyzed the individual fragments and casings and classified the probable cause of failure for each item, if known."
"For both casings and fragments, tire failure due to the retread manufacturing process was under 15 percent."
http://www.umtri.umich.edu/content/rr40_3.pdf
What % were FROM retreads (even if they didn't find that fact at fault)?
You could have 80% were retreads but, they didn't find that the "retread manufacturing process" was at fault.

A fine but incredibly important data point. :shock:
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Arduin wrote:What % were FROM retreads (even if they didn't find that fact at fault)?
You could have 80% were retreads but, they didn't find that the "retread manufacturing process" was at fault.

A fine but incredibly important data point. :shock:
"Oliver Page, assistant research scientist in the Transportation Safety Analysis Division (TSAD) and TSAD head John Woodrooffe led the research with assistance from UMTRI associate research scientist Daniel Blower and assistant research scientist Paul E. Green. The research, which appears in the current issue of Transportation Research Record,was sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) under a subcontract from Virginia Tech Transportation Institute.

"The goal of the study was to determine whether the tire debris came from original equipment (new tires) or retreads. A retread tire is manufactured by bonding a new tread onto a used casing that is still in excellent condition.

"There’s a public perception that if it’s a retread truck tire, it’s not as good," said Page. "That’s not true."

Basically, they found that the debris from retreads was roughly in line with their prevalence on vehicles - therefore, they don't fail at a different rate then "virgin" tires.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

mmbutter wrote: Basically, they found that the debris from retreads was roughly in line with their prevalence on vehicles - therefore, they don't fail at a different rate then "virgin" tires.

Basically, they don't list numbers in this regards. ANY credible scientific test has SPECIFIC numbers. The referenced doc is NOT a scientific test doc by any means. You won't find the word "roughly" in place of critical data points in scientific studies.

Thus, it is safe to say that this was a "sponsored" "study" conducted in order to avoid/mitigate litigation damages. Pull it down and you'll find lawyers behind it.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I think I see the issue here. Everyone is retreading old, worn out tires.

If you instead only retread brand new, tested tires, I think you'll find the safety margin increases substantially.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Bill... the wife and I have bought used before but, they were most definitely 'gently used' (you can tell be looking at the condition of the treads) and the garage we bought them from is VERY reputable. First name basis reputable with them. If it wasn't for BOTH of those factors, we would have likely bought new too. Of course, that said, in this part of the country we have Winter Tires and a set of 4-Seasons (We have the Winters on for a full five months ... November through to March and sometimes a few more weeks after that depending on the year).

M

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Winter and all season tires I can totally understand, Pat. People even do it here In New York's capital area. It's overkill to use metal studded ice tires here, IMO, but I don't pretend to have a real clue.

anywho, i found new ones for only about 70 bucks each and since I'm stuck with the car until it disintegrates, i figure it's worth investing.

Thanks all!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Arduin wrote:Basically, they don't list numbers in this regards. ANY credible scientific test has SPECIFIC numbers. The referenced doc is NOT a scientific test doc by any means. You won't find the word "roughly" in place of critical data points in scientific studies.

Thus, it is safe to say that this was a "sponsored" "study" conducted in order to avoid/mitigate litigation damages. Pull it down and you'll find lawyers behind it.
There were numbers in the report. This was a summary. Pull the original report from the NHTSA.

Or not, and continue to believe your wholly unscientific "gut feeling".