D&D Next (5th)

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
thegrognard
Henchman

D&D Next (5th)

Post by thegrognard »

BTW, I'm no longer "MrGrim" here. My son will be using that login. I am now *epic music* TheGrognard.

Anyway, with the announcement of the release dates of D&D Next (5th Edition) I 've posted my thoughts on the matter...

http://www.thegrognard.com/my-thoughts- ... h-edition/
The Grognard
thegrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: D&D Next (5th)

Post by Treebore »

I actually read and ran the "play test", and there is a "basic" 6th edition I could like, but since it now appears they will be putting all the "styles of play" into each and every book, rather than break it apart so I can actually buy only what I want, I am not interested. I am still buying the starter set, and at least the first adventure, but right now it looks like I will be getting everything I want from 6th edition from my play test documents, and putting it into my C&C. Which I have long suspected would be the case, just now it looks like it is getting confirmed. Still, I'll keep paying attention until I am sure my first impressions are correct.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:I actually read and ran the "play test", and there is a "basic" 6th edition I could like, but since it now appears they will be putting all the "styles of play" into each and every book, rather than break it apart so I can actually buy only what I want, I am not interested.
I missed that info. When did Wizo's come out with that news? If you can remember.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Arduin wrote:
Treebore wrote:I actually read and ran the "play test", and there is a "basic" 6th edition I could like, but since it now appears they will be putting all the "styles of play" into each and every book, rather than break it apart so I can actually buy only what I want, I am not interested.
I missed that info. When did Wizo's come out with that news? If you can remember.
Yeah, I've been following it somewhat closely and they have been rather coy about what is going into the books. One might surmise this is true, by the fact that the page count is in the 350 page range. They gotta fill it with something. On the other hand would WotC pass up the chance to be able to publish those add-on rules separately? Have they figured out that it would be better to publish all the rules in one book? I dunno.

Mearls has said that they are planning on being more "adventure" centric, this time around (I understand this is the model that Paizo uses.) so if you read between the lines there, that may suggest something.

Either way, I'm not that bothered. They wouldn't be the first company to publish all their add-on rules in one book, where you can add or ignore rules as you see fit. This has been the GURPS model since inception. Though I would, in this case, wouldn't mind rules being in different books, so when I ignore a set of rules, that means I'm not buying them. I also like the thought of the basic rules in one book, more for the ease of finding the rules and not having to jump about looking for the rules I want.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, a PH and DMG at 320 pages each does not indicate a "modular" approach, but a "everything plus the Kitchen Sink" approach, but like I said, I will keep paying attention in case I am wrong. Even GURPS doesn't put everything for everything in a core book, they break it down by genre, so I am not going to pay for every single style of play, then put up with the headache of having to search through it, let alone have players repeatedly begging me to add "just this little rule" over and over again. I either get "modular", or I am not bothering.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nah. I'm playing in a session at GenCon this year to see what's up. I don't see me making the change at all, but I would like to get a bit more educated on the system first.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, a PH and DMG at 320 pages each does not indicate a "modular" approach, but a "everything plus the Kitchen Sink" approach, but like I said, I will keep paying attention in case I am wrong. Even GURPS doesn't put everything for everything in a core book, they break it down by genre, so I am not going to pay for every single style of play, then put up with the headache of having to search through it, let alone have players repeatedly begging me to add "just this little rule" over and over again. I either get "modular", or I am not bothering.
You can play many different genre's with just the two GURPS core books. You just have to put more work into it. What the other books, like Fantasy, Space, etc. do is do the work for you. Then there are setting books, gear books, etc. that do more of the work for you. There are expanded, focused rules books like Thaumatology, Martial Arts etc. that take the basic rules and builds on them. There are expansions to the rules, like Mass Combat, but there are far fewer of those.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, a PH and DMG at 320 pages each does not indicate a "modular" approach, but a "everything plus the Kitchen Sink" approach, but like I said, I will keep paying attention in case I am wrong. Even GURPS doesn't put everything for everything in a core book, they break it down by genre, so I am not going to pay for every single style of play, then put up with the headache of having to search through it, let alone have players repeatedly begging me to add "just this little rule" over and over again. I either get "modular", or I am not bothering.
It kinda makes sense (including that high page count you mention) that they don't want to leave behind a demographic at launch time. I can see the conundrum that confronts them.

House Rules

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

As I have said before, I am waiting until I can flip through the books and get a feel for them before I decide. There is quite a bit in 5th I like and if handled properly I could see myself buying in. Until the game is launched I am withholding any other judgments.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

*cheesy French accent*
"I fahrt een your gener-ahl direction, WotC!"
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I decided, I think, that when I want to play D&D, I want to play pre-1989 D&D or something that is very much like it, and that if something new comes out that is called D&D but doesn't play like those things, that I'll just get very cross about it. No matter how good WotC does its job, they can't win with me unless they actually make the game I already am having fun playing. They could have gotten to me earlier, but now I have so much good stuff to choose from that I just doubt they can top, I don't really see how.

At the same time, I buy without hesitation lots of games that aren't called D&D and claim no lineage from D&D. I don't play them all; some probably have a playing community that consists of the author and his 3rd cousin, but I give them a chance. I am not sure why, but maybe it's because if I want to get a half dozen people together to play, say, Barebones Fantasy, we'll play Barebones Fantasy and we all get what we came for. If I get a half dozen people together to play D&D, three or four of them might very well think they came to play something different from what I thought, and they'll bitch and argue for three hours. (Well, maybe not in your group. I hope not.)
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK, so the next edition will have "side bars" on how to play more "like" older editions. This sounds far from promising. At least there will, apparently, be a free PDF from which to do character creation for the Starter Boxed set. I have yet to see hat from any official source, yet, but it is claimed to be a tweet by Mearls.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Oh, and Amazon pre orders on the main rule books were dropped down to the low 30's today, at least when I was looking.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:Oh, and Amazon pre orders on the main rule books were dropped down to the low 30's today, at least when I was looking.
Not good. :(

House Rules

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:OK, so the next edition will have "side bars" on how to play more "like" older editions. This sounds far from promising. At least there will, apparently, be a free PDF from which to do character creation for the Starter Boxed set. I have yet to see hat from any official source, yet, but it is claimed to be a tweet by Mearls.
I was initially excited about the new edition form the first playtest packet, but as each new packet came along, I lost less and less interest. And now, if a side bar is how they intend to capture the "old school" feel, then I know I'm not going to be interested. I'll still give it a look see, but doubt I'll buy it.

By the way, Tree, where did you see that info?

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:OK, so the next edition will have "side bars" on how to play more "like" older editions. This sounds far from promising.
I didn't see this comment. IF that is the implementation, it'll bomb from the standpoint of picking up the crowd that plays <3.x versions.

House Rules

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Arduin wrote:
Treebore wrote:OK, so the next edition will have "side bars" on how to play more "like" older editions. This sounds far from promising.
I didn't see this comment. IF that is the implementation, it'll bomb from the standpoint of picking up the crowd that plays <3.x versions.
I'll hold judgement. It is easy to speculate, until you see the actual project born.

I mean there has been teeth mashing, of some sort, of every edition since- I'd guess- AD&D.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Sir Ironside wrote:
I mean there has been teeth mashing, of some sort, of every edition since- I'd guess- AD&D.
I look at it from a business prospective. Not an emotional viewpoint like most. The only one I called a dog was 4.x. I was dead on. I don't think 5.x will be as big a flop (based on play test materials). But, if what is leaking out is correct, it won't retake the top RPG slot from Paizo in the long run.

House Rules

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

When is this due to be released?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

BLOOD AXE wrote:When is this due to be released?

Release Date: August 19th (limited release available at Gencon 14′

House Rules

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Arduin wrote:

Thanks . Ive been giving this an occasional look, but haven't been keeping up to date. I have plenty of 1st, 2nd & 3rd edition D&D and tons of other RPGs. Im curious about this though. 4th was a train-wreck IMHO. I stayed away.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rigon wrote:
Treebore wrote:OK, so the next edition will have "side bars" on how to play more "like" older editions. This sounds far from promising. At least there will, apparently, be a free PDF from which to do character creation for the Starter Boxed set. I have yet to see hat from any official source, yet, but it is claimed to be a tweet by Mearls.
I was initially excited about the new edition form the first playtest packet, but as each new packet came along, I lost less and less interest. And now, if a side bar is how they intend to capture the "old school" feel, then I know I'm not going to be interested. I'll still give it a look see, but doubt I'll buy it.

By the way, Tree, where did you see that info?

R-
Probably Mike Mearls Twitter feed, or something on the WOTC website, I don't look anywhere else, except the info Amazon has up.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Now, far from "official" sources are saying the new D&D will be most like 2E. So as usual, we will need to wait and see, to see what its actually going to be. According to Mearls, the real "news" will start coming out tomorrow. Hopefully we will get to start seeing some real info.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Treebore wrote:Now, far from "official" sources are saying the new D&D will be most like 2E. So as usual, we will need to wait and see, to see what its actually going to be. According to Mearls, the real "news" will start coming out tomorrow. Hopefully we will get to start seeing some real info.
Is there any overview on exactly what D&D Next will be like?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
Treebore wrote:Now, far from "official" sources are saying the new D&D will be most like 2E. So as usual, we will need to wait and see, to see what its actually going to be. According to Mearls, the real "news" will start coming out tomorrow. Hopefully we will get to start seeing some real info.
Is there any overview on exactly what D&D Next will be like?
No

House Rules

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Arduin wrote:
A friend of mine, who is usually "in the know" on this stuff, told me that "WotC Approved" stores (those who run D&D Encounters, etc) will be getting D&D product two weeks before Amazon and other stores. I need to confirm this with my local shop owner, but if true that's an interesting perk to buying local instead of online.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Id probably drop $20 on the Basic set to see if Id want more. But for $150+ to play/ $50 per core book, it would have to be very good.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

BLOOD AXE wrote:Id probably drop $20 on the Basic set to see if Id want more. But for $150+ to play/ $50 per core book, it would have to be very good.
The Basic edition will be a free PDF now. :)

House Rules

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Arduin wrote:
BLOOD AXE wrote:Id probably drop $20 on the Basic set to see if Id want more. But for $150+ to play/ $50 per core book, it would have to be very good.
The Basic edition will be a free PDF now. :)
No box set?
The Starter Set:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx ... starterset