Gary Con dates finalized for 2014

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Gary Con dates finalized for 2014

Post by Buttmonkey »

Gary Con will be from March 27-30, 2014 at the Geneva Ridge Resort. Make your reservation before it's too late!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Re: Gary Con dates finalized for 2014

Post by Dracyian »

Already got my hotel room reserved thanks to a friend :D

quithanire2
Mist Elf

Post by quithanire2 »

My wife and I went last year, great Con! We didn't stay in the lodge but chose to stay in a small motel nearby. It was only about a 5 minute drive from the convention center and had nice weekly rates. However, with the copious amounts of Spotted Cow being imbided, I can definately see why staying at the lodge would be a big plus! We are planning on going again this year as well. I am stoked they finalized the dates!
Formerly "quithanire"

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Booked my room at the Lodge as well. And I guess I need to look at Gerry's draft of the GC tournament scenario soon...
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I am getting super pumped for GaryCon. I'm hoping to play a troll-load of C&C as well as try out HackMaster, Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG, and maybe Aces & Eights. I focused on playing games run by legendary GMs at Gary Con V (e.g., Mike Ward and Rob Kuntz). Now that I have that out of my system, I'd like to try some new games that I'll never get to play at home. Plus troll-loads of C&C. :-)
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Just out of curiosity, just how big is Gary Con?
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I read somewhere there were approximately 500 people in attendance last year. I suspect most of those people were there for the majority of the con. The resort blocked off 85 rooms for attendees this time around and that will be way short of the total number of people who come.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

Work is in progress, CKDad. 2 encounters fleshed out, everything else in outline form and waiting for me to wrap it up. In the middle of giving/grading exams. Once that settles down, I will work on fleshing out the rest.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm thinking I might try to make it this year again. Have to see how some thing fall out in the next couple of months first.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Won't be able to make 2014, but the wife and I are discussing 2015 with the munchkin in tow. Be good to see everyone again.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Rigon wrote:I'm thinking I might try to make it this year again. Have to see how some thing fall out in the next couple of months first.

R-
I don't know if you have decided for or against this yet, but just an fyi the resort it is being held it is full up so they are doing hotel reservations with an overflow hotel down the road, just an fyi

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Registration opened today. Like last year, it was a cluster-bleep. This year featured server overload and software glitches that prevented many people from registering while their preferred events filled up. Lots of griping on the Gary Con forums, which is understandable and unfortunate. I was lucky and got everything I wanted, including 3 C&C sessions, 2 Hackmaster sessions, 2 DCC sessions, and one session each of 0E and 1E to round things out. Woot! I thought I was going to do try some wargaming for the first time this year, but there were too many good RPG options and only so many registration coinage to spend. I feel bad for the people who were unable to register right away, but there are still lots of great events available, including many premium events. I could probably fill up another schedule of desired events with what's left. Hope to see some of y'all in Lake Geneva in March!

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

There is A LOT of C&C this year.... and I was worried that we'd be scrambling for people, but damn if MOST of the seats are already gone.... my 2 personal games went as fast almost as the VIP games, which is flattering and kinda scary. There were a few bumps and I'm doing a little help by giving some extra seats to my late-nighter (easy to do since there's little else going on at that time so plenty of space to add seats and one of the quietest times in the hall so I can be heard and manage 10 or 11).

See you in my games BM :)
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I won't be at Gary Con unfortunately. Stephen and Tim will be, however. That said, your's truly and the Missouri Trolls will be at North Texas RPG Con in June. It appears to be very much like Gary Con. TSR guests, and what not. Knock on wood, we'll probably return to Game Hole Con (Madison, Wisconsin) in November as well. If you like Gary Con, you can't go wrong with these events. Have fun at GC!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

tylermo wrote:Have fun at GC!
Damnsolutely! I'm kind of shocked at how many C&C games are in the event catalog this year. I think you could play C&C exclusively and have a full schedule of events for the entire con. I held back at just 3 C&C events. I didn't have enough coins to register for anything on Sunday. I'm thinking of running a pickup game on Sunday morning. The herd thins out a little on Sunday, but there are still people milling about looking for a good time.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I was almost able to go again this year, but GC falls on a build weekend for the spring play. I just can't take that off and keep a happy wife. So, ya'll have fun and remember, "CLANG!"

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Rigon wrote:I was almost able to go again this year, but GC falls on a build weekend for the spring play. I just can't take that off and keep a happy wife. So, ya'll have fun and remember, "CLANG!"

R-
*sniff*.... Clang!
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

quithanire2
Mist Elf

Post by quithanire2 »

Hey,
the wife and I are registered to go again this year, our 2nd. We tried C&C first time last year. We got into one round of the tournament and the Friday night mega game with the Troll Lord! There were a ton of games of C&C this year! We need another week to fit them all in!!! We might be up for an open game on Sunday if anyone is still hanging about.

C.Taylor
Formerly "quithanire"

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It took me a while to get my peanuts in gear, but I will be attending GaryCon this year. Sadly, most of the events are sold out, but it will be nice to reconnect with Crusaders long past seen. Hope to see y'all at the show.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Omote!

Just FYI I have one seat open for my Amazing Adventures game... but also just be sure and check at tables - there are always no shows, changes, a few allowing extra spots at GaryCon.... it's not like GenCon where if you don't have a ticket you're out of luck... last year we just walked up and sat down at one of Rob Kuntz's games (it was quite strange heh).

John
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That's good to hear, and I hope I can get in on a game or two. This will be my first GaryCon, and so I'll be learning the ropes. I'm staying with some buddies who live at a 1/2 hour away, so I'm not sure of my schedule. But, I'm hoping I can get in on a pick-up game, or maybe squeeze into any one of these soldout tables. Will be seeing you John!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

You should have no problem getting into some games. John's session of the C&C tournament has an opening, for example. There's no more preregistration, so anyone can show up and jump in.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That's what I'm hoping for.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

One more week of work to go before I leave for Lake Geneva. Gary Con is the best 4 days of my year. :-)

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

While I'm looking forward to GaryCon and seeing so many friends again, I definitely went a bit overboard on running games - two sessions of Shadowrun, one of Mongoose Traveller, my now-traditional Divine Right game on Friday, and a session of Gerry's C&C tourney offering. I managed to get in one game to play, one of Rob Kuntz's high-level AD&D sessions on Saturday.

In any case, I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. Hope to catch up with folks there!
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'll be there on Wednesday night through early Sunday morning. However, I'll only be at the show sporadically due to not having a car. But I do plan on meeting and seeing as many of you cool people as possible. 1 week baby!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

CKDad wrote:I managed to get in one game to play, one of Rob Kuntz's high-level AD&D sessions on Saturday.
Good luck with that! I played in one of those sessions last year. A very different experience. I've played D&D with Frank, Tim, and Rob over the last few years. Their different approaches to the game are fascinating. I've learned something from all of them, even in the sessions I didn't enjoy as much as the others.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

With luck will be at the Lodge around noon on Thursday :)

Eek.... I better get my preparations ready.... :)
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara