Looking for a big dungeon :)

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
Shadowslayer
Ungern

Looking for a big dungeon :)

Post by Shadowslayer »

Hello all. Been away from gaming for a little while, and am just starting up again for my kids. One thing I've noticed is that I don't have the time to create this stuff the way I used to, so I'm looking for some help. Basically, I'm looking for a big dungeon where I can just borrow little sections out of from time to time. I guess the only catch is that I'm looking for one that has lots of obstacles, traps, challenges etc, in addition to combat.

I've heard about the Worlds Biggest Dungeon, Rappan Athuk and a few others, but would like to know what comes recommended for those who like dungeon crawling. I have a few old modules...but most of them are: room 1 - fight. Room 2 - fight. Room 3 - fight. I and I'm just looking for something that has a little more than just that. (Don't care about level - I can scale pretty much anything.)

Any suggestions?

Aladar
Lore Drake

Re: Looking for a big dungeon :)

Post by Aladar »

My favorate, and the one I am using is now is Castle of the Mad Archmage. I believe the new and improved version is now available on RPGNow/DriveThruRPG.
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I'll second both Castle Whiterock and Castle of the Mad Archmage I will add B4 The Lost City

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... =9736&it=1

Of those three I've run both Lost City and Whiterock. Whiterock took me 3.5 years with 10-15 games per year and a group of 4 to 8 players per game. Lost City was more like 2 players and 6 Months, but still a heck of lot of games 20+.

-Mike

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

The Lost City is great. The Underground City below the dungeons is sketched out to allow for all sorts of creative play. There's also a ton of encounters that require thinking and roleplaying rather than just hack-and-slash - but still lots of that too!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Castle of the Mad Archmage has just been released. From what I've seen so far, it's pretty sweet. Classic ToEE is good stuff, too. It has a lot of dynamics going on in Hommlet, Nulb, and with the different factions in the Temple as well.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

captcorajus
Mist Elf

Post by captcorajus »

I'm rather surprised no one has mentioned the "Ruins of Undermountain". LOVE that setting. Lots and lots of source material on the City of
Waterdeep, which is above. The 'City of Splendors' is rather easy to get a hold of, as is, Volo's guide to Waterdeep. Add the Ruins of
Undermountain, and you've basically got enough there to run a campaign for years.

I ran a Waterdeep campaign for ten years... longest straight campaign I ever ran.

Volo's guiide is just great for fleshing out the various locations, and giving the city its flavor. I mean, it really comes alive in those pages.
The City System boxed set is also nice to have if you can get it.

But, the mad mage Halaster Blackcloak runs the thing, the place is a real gauntlet, with just many many wonderful rooms, and then, there is a LOT left
for the DM to make it his own.

On the third level is a small city called 'skullport', and there's a great supplement for that as well.. Skullport being the 'dark reflection' of the 'City of Splendors' above. All kinds of ways to get the PC into trouble.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Two things I use in streamlining dungeon creation that may be helpful if you're looking to save time in dungeon-making: Engineering Dungeons and The Dungeon Alphabet. Using the two of these makes the process go by fairly quickly. If you can find these at your FLGS, the Adventurer Dungeon-Building Dice are also a good way to create quick dungeon layouts.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

In addition to several mentioned above, I would suggest Tomb of Abysthor. I've DMed part of this module and it is quite fun, and deadly.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/7 ... sthor?it=1
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

It's a nice dungeon, but I wouldn't call it BIG, 3 levels. Kinda big I guess, but against Rappan Athuk, World's Biggest Dungeon, Castle Greyhawk, Undermountain, whatever that big one in Fight On! is...

That is, unless there is to be a Dark Journey 2 that adds more levels. That'd be neat.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

This guy. Always trying to make a buck.

:D

I don't know, Aergraith. I guess, like you (more-or-less) said, it's kind of how you look at it. It's not Rappun Athuk or even ToEE big. But a hundred rooms ain't nothin' to sneeze at, either.

On a related not, my Castle of the Mad Archmage came in the mail today. Pretty sweet! :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

Well I think I have plenty to go on here. Thanks gents.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Lord Dynel wrote:

This guy. Always trying to make a buck.
Wait, people get paid to do this?!

STEEEVE!!!!!!!!

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Post by Shadowslayer »

AGNKim wrote: Wait, people get paid to do this?!
That can't be right. :shock:

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

If you're cheap and want something sort of insane, download all the 1 page dungeons and string them together randomly... that'll keep the players guessing.
:D

http://www.onepagedungeon.info/one-page ... 13#winners
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

This just showed up on drivethrurpg:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/1 ... 2e%29?it=1

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

We actually got bored to tears with Castle of the Mad Archmage around the 5th level, and just left.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

Treebore wrote:We actually got bored to tears with Castle of the Mad Archmage around the 5th level, and just left.
Any specifics? I have not run it nor read it that closely, so I'm not brining any judgements to the question.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It just got extremely monotonous feeling to us, and we decided to just leave the dungeon. We may go back to it one day, but it definitely needs to be broken up into smaller "bites".
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

The level maps look pretty big which probably adds to the wandering around not getting any where feeling. Undermountain looks like that to me also. I get what your saying.

I liked running Castle Whiterock. They did a good job delivering it in "bites" as you say. I still condensed some stuff here and there, and the cracking the Duergar city I opted not to make then crawl through the hugeness. Instead they sent Earth Elemental in to find the Ruler and then followED the path that was given them directly to a BBEG fight.

rom90125
Red Cap

Post by rom90125 »

I would also suggest The Lost City of Barakus. Early 3.5 dungeon crawl+ from Necromancer Games.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/1617/The- ... of+ba&it=1
Achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is within you. Success is being praised by others. That is nice but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

rom90125 wrote:I would also suggest The Lost City of Barakus. Early 3.5 dungeon crawl+ from Necromancer Games.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/1617/The- ... of+ba&it=1

as well as actually published by TLG, and is also one of my all time favorite adventure resources. Its really a series of locations that are mostly connected by common geography, and if the CK is good at doing so, tying the story hooks together.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Love Barakus. It's a foundation module to my Necromancer Games World setting that I have been running for quite some time now.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<