Onward to the A-Series

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Onward to the A-Series

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well my C&C group finished up the Ruins of Ramat by Brave Halfling Publishing and have decided to take a journey north to Botkinburg with a merchant. Looking forward to this as I haven't messed around in the A-series in a while. I left a hook out there for A0 - a poster on a bulletin board in a tavern to steer them to but they didn't bite and decided a direct route to good old Botkinburg. I intend to set them to it with the missing Mulken Twins and have them meet the NPCs that can train them (for leveling purposes).

Party has a Half-Orc Ranger, Gnome Illusionist, Half-Elf Assassin, Human Knight and Dwarven Cleric. Everyone is still 1st Level, with most about ready to hit 2nd.

Open to suggestions as I prep for tomorrow's adventure!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Shadowslayer
Ungern

Re: Onward to the A-Series

Post by Shadowslayer »

Can't wait to hear about it. I have Botkinburg cued up for my guys too...when we ever actually get around to playing :)

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Hopefully you're party makes their way to Malforten. Davis Chenault did a great job with A0: The Rising Knight. Please tell us about your exploits.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

For A0, I think the key is talking to the people of Malforten, knocking on doors or finding them at the Empty Flagon. If your players hate doing that, then the only other recourse is to scour the countryside for encounters. How easy or hard this is depends on whether you care if they found the actual locations or you just zoom them to the next interesting thing. This is also true of A1 and less true of subsequent modules.

If you need to, use Kiint the Leper. The wilderness encounters can be pretty dangerous for a small group. Area 2 of Baleon Nakt will quickly overwhelm a party that doesn't use tactics to manage their attack surface.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

The Fellowship of Weird Dice
A-Series, Part 1

Background. Set in Erde, but with some slight changes. Plot hooks offered to the party include Yggsburgh which is well to the north parts Lundsheim. Rappan Athuk, and Rise of the Runelords adventures, and my own homebrew stuff were offered. I pretty much keep to the story-line of Erde, normal polytheism both for story elements and if the party wants to. Added a competing religion and world creation. Universe and world created by the Emperor or the Blood Whale. It's Monotheistic religion, who claims at one time the Blood Whale ruled the world as a theocracy in peace, but has been absent for centuries, appears sporadically. Contrasted by a Kraken that was left as his regent but betrayed the whale and went evil. Both "killed", but elements of both the Kraken worship and Blood Whale continue.

The Party
1st Level Gnome Illusionist (Jay)
1st Level Half-Orc Ranger (Ash).
1st Level Human Knight (Brian). Returned from war to find his keep in ruins, his people lost and his love gone, all that remains is her favor and he searches now for her.
1st Level Half-Elf Assassin (Owen), Elvish mother killed, raised by humans seeks to find mother's killer so became an Assassin. Serves Knight, Party doesn't know he's an assassin.
1st Level Dwarven Cleric. Follower of the Blood Whale.

From a story background, I started things off 3 days into their journey north which will take several weeks. The Merchant (Maurice John) had lost half his mercenaries and cargo the last time he came south from Botkinburg. He intends not to have to pay a ransom in people or cargo this time. His caravan security is managed by Sergeant Ellwein a Human Female Fighter (3rd Level), with 5 guards. The adventures augment the rest of the security with the Knight being the head, but under Ellwein. The party has been assigned the late night shift (after midnight). The caravan also has Cookie (the cook), a mysterious passenger named Dr. Thorn, and several drovers (1 or 2 per wagon, all single horse wagons). Of note, there is Tommy a simple minded but dedicated drover. One of the more recent C&C adventures having to do with giants and goblins was the inspiration for this by the way. Caravan is carrying Lutefisk in barrels, fabrics/textiles, and wheat, along with a train of excellent riding horses from the south. The horses are the big money for the merchant.

Mechanics
I use C&C pretty much RAW. Only using the PHB rules right now with some CKG stuff (maiming rules). House Rules are the Big Purple (roll the d30 once per session in lew of any dice roll), and currently using Paizo's Critical Hit Deck and Critical Fumble Deck. I use a Dice Boot, but not required to roll. Any rolls that go off the table the player can re-roll or call to play it (must call before looking).
I'm blessed with a ton of game stuff and props so we're using both D&D Tiles, Paizo Flip-maps and Gamer Mastery Map-packs. So a pretty visual game. We also use the Paizo Standees for miniatures (have NPC Codex, Bestiary 1 & 2, along with Beginners Box) For this session, I used the Paizo Forest Flipmap, and D&D Wilderness Tiles. I also used the Game Mastery Caravan Map pack.

The Session.
This is perhaps the most Role-Play heavy session I've ever run. The Half-Orc and Illusionist didn't make it to the games, but they were easy to NPC. Party never left the caravan camp and whole 4+ hour session we just rolled for move silently. We had a blast and I hadn't laugh so hard in a very long time. Great fun. To re-cap, the party engaged a lot of the NPCs. Who laid out some other plothooks. I had SGT Ellwein and Maurice talk about the redcap goblins and blacktooth ridge who've raided often. Maurice was considering a stop off at Malforten, but didn't know if it would be worth it considering the danger, but the bounty might be worth it. They were showed a wanted poster for Grisnak, but the players didn't bite. They were more interested in heading to Botkinburg. The mysterious Mr. Thorn though got the attention of the assassin who decided to check him out secretly.

I determined before I started that I would be more freeform and that's what made it a lot of fun. Mr. Thorn was supposed to be window dressing, but I decided to make him a necromancer with a secret Imp Familiar who was kept in a box. The Assassin saw it leaving the area and heard them talking in an infernal language. He informed the Knight. As they observed the familiars return, the Assassin decided to sneak in an steal the bock, but fumbled. Dr. Thorn saw it and the assassin grappled him and the Knight came in as well. But Thorn screamed for help, causing the Guards and everyone to rush toward the tent. Realizing they were in a very difficult position, the Assassin fled out the back of the tent in the hole he made and the knight then went out the front saying everything was allright.

As they walked back into the tent with the Merchant and Sgt Ellwein, Dr. Thorn was now dead on the ground with his neck twisted in a weird shape. Accusations of murder flew and confusion as to how it could have happened. As the investigation began, the imp box was opened and it was spotted and began to argue that it was now free. The Assassin attacked and nearly killed it, but it fled screaming revenge. The 2 trunks in room were opened, to discover necromancer tomes in one. But in the other, it opened up to an extra-dimensional space with stairs leading down when the key turned one way. Turning it the other it lead to clothes and other items. Checking it again, the trunk opened up to a wide open plain with green grass and blue sky. Freaked out, Sgt Ellwein had it tied up with ropes and sealed. The party did their watch for the night under heavy guard for fear of killer and they set out in the morning. Maurice was paid very well for the merchant passenger who was headed to Yggsburgh. He figured he aught to at least deliver him and his stuff so he's now wrapped up. Game stopped for the night.

Commentary:
I made a lot of the stuff up on the fly trusting my imagination and that made it so much fun. I was surprised they didn't bite at going into the trunk, but the Knight player has stated he doesn't really like Dungeons. At the same time, I'm a bit relived as it gives me more time to develop plot stuff. So I'm open to suggestions from the field out here as to what the Trunk is and what will happen on the 3 week journey to Botkinburg. I've already prepped them with the Halfling's Tavern there and the seasonal wine (which is something merchant wants to buy both on the way to Yggsburgh and then on his return back for a profit. The imp will definitely be returning and I'm thinking of throwing in a Ningauble of the Seven Eyes and Sheelba of the Eyeless Face type dudes from the Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series that they meet on the way. Using the traveling hut and quest/geas assignments. I'll have several planned encounters including a battle and perhaps the carnival from Lion in Ropes in case they want to hunt that one down. The Assassin leveled, but I want to use training so open to ideas on what to allow (hit points but no level bonus, etc.).
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Appreciate those who read the above. Doing some prep for tomorrow's game. Any thoughts on the Trunk, what it could be - a well of Many Worlds, fixed location type teleport points, etc.?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

For the trunk, it leads anywhere that would be inconvenient for them when they inevitably use it to escape some foe. Sounds like you are doing great anyway, I think inventing on the fly is is serving you well.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
A-Series, Part 2

Set in Erde, where I record the Journey's of the party as they set themselves upon Blacktooth Ridge and Beyond.

The Party
1st Level Herman the Gnome Illusionist (Jay) (Out this week)
1st Level Ash the Half-Orc Ranger (Ash).
1st Level Andrisseal - the Human Knight (Brian).
2st Level Drezal the Half-Elf Assassin (Owen)
1st Level Caleius the Dwarven Cleric. (Micah)

Picked up with the morning journey on Day 4 headed to Botkinburg.

Mechanics Stuff.
I use C&C pretty much RAW. Only using the PHB rules right now with some CKG stuff (maiming rules). House Rules are the Big Purple (roll the d30 once per session in lew of any dice roll), and currently using Paizo's Critical Hit Deck and Critical Fumble Deck. I use a Dice Boot, but not required to roll. Any rolls that go off the table the player can re-roll or call to play it (must call before looking).
Using Paizo's Forest Flip-map, and reverse side of the town square (all green with sight road trails), along with D&D Ruins of the Wild and D&D Wilderness Tiles to augment, and the Pazio Game Mastery Caravan Pack. We use the Paizo Pawns sets for miniatures, along with the D&D Tiles (which have horses and the like) and D&D tokens.

The Session.
Picked up where we last left off - the morning of Day 4 on the merchant caravan journey to Botkinburg. After traveling most of the morning, an outrider from the caravan road back to inform SGT Ellwein (NPC Guard leader), that there was a Hut on Stilts of sorts about 3 miles ahead. The caravan has traveled this road a few times before and has never seen that. The Knight volunteered to check it out, and the party was given some of the riding horses to move forward while the caravan made a rest stop.

The Hut was up on 2 thick trunks about 10 feet with a rope ladder. Thatched, peaked roof, chimney, open door and two windows - dark inside and quiet. As the party looks on deciding what to do the chimney begins to smoke. The Ranger - Ash - not being one to fiddle around clambers up to the entrance and is greeted by someone in a thick robe stoking the fire in a stove, who happens to know all about the party, Ash draws his weapons but doesn't attack after the creature spins and faces them. The Assassin - Drezal - soon joins him. The creature turns and the recess of his hood the only thing visible is 7 glowing red orbs in blackness and refers to himself as Niguable of the 7 Eyes. The creature then asks if they will get him some Troll Blood and Troll Fingers, explaining the regenerative properties of trolls and their vulnerability fire. They accept and are shooed away. Once back on the ground, the hut simply starts to walk away. The trunks were actually huge clawed bird like feet. They stare a moment and wonder away.

The party returns and the journey continues uneventfully for a week. Having one more week to go, the Ranger and Knight decide they want to get into the Trunk. Waiting until it is their shift (the late night shift when all the other guards are asleep, the Knight initially tries to romance the key from the Caravan Guard Leader (SGT Ellwein) despite his missteps , they manage to get the chest out of the Merchants tent. The Assassin who is on roving patrol sees and wanders over and the Cleric joins them as well. SGT Ellwein won't join them in their journeys into the trunk as someone has to stay back to organize a defense in case of an attack. Turning the lock clockwise, they open the trunk expecting to see a stairs leading down..

Their is a set of stairs leading down, sort of to a mist filled entrance way. So the Ranger tying off to tree with a 100 foot rope, clambers done into the chest. As he does so he falls forward is now on a set of stairs leading up. The perspective has changed for him. He goes up about 25 feet and then walks through the mist. Ash wanders outside and finds himself on a floating cloud, thousands of feet above a desert floor, he unties himself and puts the rope on the end of an arrow and throws it back into the mist door. He follows the cloud path which leads up to a Castle, with a 30 foot moat around it. The moat is simply open air dropping down to the desert floor below. A drawbridge lies open as does the portcullis.

The party waits and sees the rope with an arrow thrown back in. They are terrified, and proceed with extreme caution. The Knight delves in next iwht a torch and begins experiencing the same perspective change and looking back sees the floor open and faces of everyone looking up at him from the trunk. He climbs the stairs tests out the mist with marbles, his hand and seeing he isn't instantly ripped to shreds, his head. Ultimately, the party joins him and they wander up to the drawbridge where Ash is waiting. Together they enter in to the foyer. Purposely they begin to pound on and open any door. The knight goes it along and one of the doors leads to a corridor and room with pillars and a stone throne. At the same time, as the party opens another a group of Orcs attack. Things don't go well for the party, and in the midst of the melee, the cleric is wounded. The knight runs to the fight makes it to the party but only manages to slightly wound an orc. As the Battle continues, Ash the ranger who wants to Dual wield, goes down to -3 HP and the knight is hurt as well. The Assassin though manages to kill all three Orcs and the Cleric heals up Ash to 4 hit points. As they recover, they see the room as a sort of improvised archery range, gathering up 60 Arrows, 3 Quivers, leather Armor, short swords, clubs and a broach, ring, necklaces and a shield. They move out quickly to the stone throne. 5 Skeletons jump up to attack them there. The Cleric Turns them, and they take off running, expect for 1 who was grappled by ranger who is trying to bash its skull into the wall. The Assassin joins in and destroys that skeleton. The Dwarf makes his wisdom check and discovers a secret panel in a pillar with 3 scrolls and a box. The Assassin opens the box and is stabbed by a poison needle and loses half his hit points. Taking the scrolls and then quickly grabbing the ring, the party heads back through the chest, shutting it quickly. The knight turns the key counter clockwise and it opens to the necromancer's clothes, tomes, and scrolls. They decide it's best to shut up the chest again and call it night.

Castle Keeper Notes

Yeah, I just lifted Niguable of the 7 Eyes straight from Fritz Lieber. Less complicated that way for me. I had Nibguable allude to the witch in the woods near Botkinburg, and she'll end up being Shelba of the Eyeless face who will only talk to the Knight and the Cleric. After last session, I thought the chest was a done deal and prepped for Botkinburg. I was just getting ready to pull a Rottincap Ambush on them, when they decide to go into the trunk. I had the inkling of an idea of a cloud castle and just went with it. Remembering that DA1 A Dark Journey was the home of an old adventurer, i figured this would fit, so I pulled it out and used it as the map and encounters with some changes. What the heck, if it's good enough to be an abandoned dungeon, why not make it an abandoned castle. Another player leveled - the Cleric, and I decided on a leveling option. I'll allow a party member to level "in an adventure" but before they can go up to the next level they need to spend a week with someone in their class that level or higher. It meets the needs of earning experience from their adventures and learning new skills and techniques. Afterwards, we discussed the game a bit, one would like to level a bit faster, and all appreciated the sandbox style of play rather than simply being railroaded to Botkinburg. All and all a great game and we're expecting a new player - Neutral Good Half-Elf Wizard to join party, and possibly a couple players using two PCs with the addition of another wizard and a bard. Bigger party means bigger monsters, so I'm cool with that.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
A-Series, Part 3

Set in Erde, where I record the Journey's of the party as they set themselves upon Blacktooth Ridge and Beyond.

The Party
1st Level Ash the Half-Orc Ranger (Ash).
1st Level Andrisseal - the Human Knight (Brian).
2nd Level Caleius the Dwarven Cleric. (Micah)

The Session
Party delayed travel for a day to recover and use the clerics healing spells to get up to full strength. After traveling a bit they came across a fixed sign which pointed the way to Botkinburg, Lundesheim and Yggsburgh. They followed the way to Botkinburg and soon came upon the scene of a recent ambush - two men at arms and a horse lay dead with shields, swords, armor and barding lay around unlooted and a smashed wagon with wrecked boxes as well. A brief search by the party revealed to the Assassin that oddly the MaA had no pouches or jewelry on them, but all the rest of their stuff remained. The Ranger (falling his Track roll) only noted that it was a messy battle with small humaniods, and tracks went off in a lot of directions. Of note, the Knight realized that one of the chests was a Hope Chest with the contents spilled everywhere. The heraldry

While they were deciding what to do, a redcap Goblin ambush fell upon the back of the convoy. Note the Caravan is carrying Lutefisk in barrels, fabrics/textiles, and wheat, along with a train of excellent riding horses from the south. The horses are in the back of the convoy in tow. The group also has SGT Ellwein on a riding horse, two guards on horseback and the Knight. ( at times, the Dwarf tends to utilize a pony the picked up). It was a race to the front on horseback. The convoy couldn't move past the broken wagon and battle scene so the fight was on. The group was set upon from a different direction by the Gobo leader and a smaller band, but it was enough to split the battle. The Half-Orc and Half-Elf shouted in Goblin and it caused a momentary pause of parlay. A Larger Gobo came forward wearing a light blue favor on his arm like an armband. He laughed and demanded the horses and loot for their life. The response from the half-orc ranger was swift a bow shot to the face. So the fight was on. A charge from the 4 Riding horses led by the Knight to the back of the convoy was quite impressive, though their aim was not. In the midst of it all a small figure road up at the end of the convoy. A small (20") RedCap old man with metal boots and normal sized Scythe, riding on the back of a weird looking dog rat creature who simply sat and observed. As the battle raged, the Assassin went down, but the tied turned with the beheading of the lead Gobo - shouts went up from the Gobo ranks - Gorfack is dead! and the Goblins began to flee. The small stranger moved back a bit from the fight, but other Gobos still remained trying to finish off a downed guard. They were killed eventually by the party, and in a last ditch effort the Knight Charged the small stranger. Piercing it thru with his lance and war horse stomped the rat-dog.

The clean up, healing...and looting began. The battle was against 20 plus goblins, with half of those killed. The Cleric managed to heal up the Assassin and the Ranger and Assassin raced to the place of the small stranger to loot the body. Ranger got their first and took a small box, boots, scythe, a pouch with 50 platinum and red blood soaked cap. He also looked over the rat dog contracting a rash disease in the process. The lead goblin - Gorfack had a helm, and necklace. The ranger being a bit impetuous, decided to open the wrapped box, which reveled another box, which revealed a wrapped in blue silk scarf what appears to be cards of some sort, which revealed cards, which he promptly drew the top card. A bright flash of light to the party and a gust of wind blowing in the direction of the half-orc, who now appears very handsome (albeit with an itchy rash), and the realization that this creature is leader of a kingdom, who knew?!! The cards were quickly wrapped back up and put away. The convoy burnt the goblin bodies, split the loot and headed up to an easily defensible and known stopping point. The healing and victory over the Red-caps was sung by the drovers. Maurice John the merchant was delighted at the victory (and not having to lose money on bandits), demanded ears and the redcaps from every dead gobo. The Cleric used Detect Magic to discover that several items they had were magical (boots, helm, necklace, ring, cards, shield, scythe) The party with the knight went back on horse (loaned from the guards) to pick up the trail of the Goblins. Following it (and once again falling his Track roll), the party ended up in a swamp after several hours discovering a small trail that lead to a wooden hut. The Assassin checked it out revealing the home of a Druid name Shillelagh of Shillelagh, with an apprentice named Aespin. Animal messengers had told Shillelagh of the battle and their approach and he knew of the general direction of the Gobos hole. For a nice donation he managed to help party and for even more sizable donation, a spell of identify was used to determine the details on 4 of the items the found. Scythe +1, Boots of Springing and Striding, necklace of protection +1, Ring of Sustenance). Shillelagh used an Owl Messenger to send a note to SGT Ellwein for the party and Aespin joined them to go to the Goblin hole for the rescue. Thus ended the adventure for the night.

Castle Keeper Notes
I picked up few new D&D Dungeon Tiles, completing the box sets - Dungeon, Wilderness and City thanks to Books-A-Million, Cathedrals of Chaos, Ice-wind Dale, Witch-light Fens and a Paizo Ice Caves Game-mastery Map Pack. The Wilderness and Witchlight stuff went right to use for this game. Quite like these to augment the Paizo Flipmaps. I also got in the Bestiary Box 3 set of Pawns and the Skull & Shackles Pawn set from Paizo. Not much used from either, but plenty of options now for NPCs. What I do is get 3 ring binders at least 4 inches, 5 works best, and use the Ultra-Pro 9 sleeve card holders and insert the small, medium & large pawns in the slots. If there is more than one of a pawn, for small & medium, I put them in a card sleeve and fold if over then put it in the holder - it keeps them from falling out. I've kept the boxes for the huge monsters, but decided to try out the 4 sleeve ultra-pro card holders and these work great. A bit more expensive I suppose, but it keeps the monsters all organized by their numbers, no digging through boxes to find them.

In the prep for this adventure, I took my nook to the gym with the Umbrage Saga on it in PDF. I use EZ-PDF which offers a read to you option. I hadn't really used it but, it worked great. I set up the initial map of the convoy and had the pawns for the Goblins ready to go for an ambush at some point. The ranger just kept missing his track rolls, as I have the PC make the roll and just went with it getting lost can be an adventure in itself. The Ambush allowed for another chance at tracking but the ranger missed that one as well. As the one of the players was rolling up a Druid, I figure it was good time to introduce him hence the Druid in the swamp. As far as the Small Stranger, that is rather interesting. So while trying to get a bunch of Goblin pawns together I realize there was actual "redcap" pawns. I read up on the entry in the Pathfinder Bestiary 2. Redcaps are evil fey that soak their caps in blood and it gives them regenerative abilities. Though small, they wield normal size scythes and wear crazy metal boots (i call them kiss boots). They look like angry old men with long beards. A CR6 creature in Pathfinder, with 60 hp. I checked out the Swords & Wizardry version as well a bit different - kind of like gobos or mites a 1 HD creature with poison and gnome like spell ability. I went for sort of a mix. leaning more toward the Pathfinder version. I underestimated the Knight's ability to charge and the Redcap was within range and the Knight hit with a natural 20, but only rolled a 1 for damage. I allowed for the bonuses to stack as it's triple damage for a lance hit on horseback. With a natural 20 he picked a Critical Hit card that allowed for double damage as well so quite a powerful and destroying charge, killing the redcap. I wan't prepped for treasure for this dude, so had 50 PP, magic boots, magic scythe and I decided on the spur of the moment a Deck of Many Things (still not sure how many cards there will be).

The race to redcap was between the Ranger and Assassin. A while ago I picked up the Paizo Chase deck and decided to use it for this race rather than a simple dice toss. 5 cards laid out face down and skill requirements needed to move on to the next card. I changed it up to match C&C vs. Paizo as C&C doesn't use a list of skills. So I just used Challenge Levels for Ability tests. Initiative rolled each turn. A good little game in game that the players enjoyed, with the ranger winning.

The ranger is played as impulsive, drawing the card I allowed for a few minutes of tension as I looked through various books for the Deck of Many things (along trying to find a set of playing cards!) shuffled and had him draw. Lots of tension and fear on the part of player realizing what he'd just done, but of course he draws the throne - 18 Charisma and a keep or castle. Much to the chagrin of the characters.

Ideas Welcome:

1. The party is now all level 2, on their way with a Level 1 Druid to a Goblin hole. Not sure what I"ll use for the Goblin location. Since the Party isn't going to Malforten, I might use the dungeon from that and I got in the Chaotic Caves for BFRPG, so that's another option, But open to ideas if you all have any.

2. As far as magic items, the Shield the knight has is +1 and the helm is something magical, but I'm still deciding what it should be. Perhaps a helm of disguise. The other two big magic items out there is the Trunk and the Deck of Many Things. Both kind of Minor Artifacts. This is what happens when I go free-form! I could easily limit the number of cards in the Deck to 1 for each Character, a partial Deck. And if the players start talking about it I'm sure many parties would be very interested in getting a hold of the deck. Same goes with the Trunk. Thoughts on Magic Items - do you all have a lot included or do you hand them out sparingly?

3. The player drew a King of Hearts which is the Throne Card. I looked at Pathfinder, Pathfinder & D&D OGL SRD, along with D&D 3.5e and D&D 2e (don't know why I didn't go right to AD&D or S&W). I kept up an "oh crap" look of concern, further troubling the player, along with laughter from his fellow PCs. Pathfinder has the Throne as the character becomes a true leader in people's eyes. The castle gained appears in any open area she wishes (but the decision where to place it must be made within 1 hour). D&D 2e has it as an 18 Charisma and Castle/Keep near a Stronghold owned if any already. S&W has it as a simple magic item with the Deck Disappearing right after drawing is done, but alas I didn't go that direction. A couple of ideas I've considered. They show up to Botkinburg and the leader there is dead, all the people have the same dream and crown the half-orc as lord. Another option is to have the Half-Orc is now lord, but of an Orc Keep/Castle/Stronghold somewhere. Knowing he is coming as the Shamans have declared him ruler the current Orc king seeks to kill him. Or simply have the Keep in Swamp lands or Road where he is at. Welcome any ideas on the Castle/Strong Hold thing for the Ranger
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
A-Series, Part 4

9 March 2014

The Party
2nd Level Ash the Half-Orc Ranger (Ash) (Out this week)
2nd Level Andrisseal - the Human Knight (Brian).
1st Level Azmen the Human Druid (Owen)

The Session

Party moved out with the new Druid, Alzman, in the middle of the night and journeyed to a ruined keep in the swamp. The Assassin did a brief reconnoiter and the party decides the best way to cross was with the use of the Entangle spell near some heavy vegetation and bent over tree. Half were immobilized the other half made it across, but were attacked by 3 giant frogs. A battle ensued and the Assassin was grabbed by a frog and partially swallowed. He was saved only by the majestic horsemanship of the knight who charging across the entangled bridge and leaping with his lance crashed into the water and destroying the frog with a devastating lance blow. The Ranger and Druid were trapped on the bridge with a few horses, though one of the horses simply fled. While the Cleric dispatched the frog on keep side. The Ranger managed to free himself in the nick of time, as the Druid was being pulled toward the frog. A viscous strike with his sword severed the tongue of the giant frog who fled the area. The party recovered the wits and searched around finding a wooden bridge on another side of the keep crossing the moat river. Entering the keep, it opened up to a courtyard, with steps leading up to a manor house with broken double doors. along with a wagon partially full of goods. Crumbling walls and towers were looked at first, one of the towers revealed a giant wolf spider that leaps upon the party. The fight was one, and it was quickly dispatched though two party members felt the burn of poison, but managed to overcome the venom. While cutting the venom sacks out, the dwarf with his boots of springing leaped to the spider nest discovering various treasures. The party decided to enter the manor house. Revealing a huge greeting chamber, the party for the most part ignored the area and went down a hallway, while the knight rode his horse into the chamber. Unable to see he simple tried to let his eyes adjust. The rest of the party stumbled into an open area where a giant snake attacked them. The battle raged, with wounds becoming grievous. The party shouted for the knight who chose to remain, more shouting, the knight stood his ground, but heard the creaking of a door open...

Castle Keeper Notes

Once again the Pathfinder Pawns were great for both PC and monsters. I also used some of the Witchfens and Wilderness Dungeon Tiles sets, along with Swamp Flip Map and river flip map to build the moat and terrain. I decided to use the Moat House from TOEE as Goblin stronghold. I was a bit slow trying to find Just the right tiles, and ended up using a blank flip map and vinyl map to draw on near the end. In another thread I talk about the use of Entangle to build the bridge, creative thinking, but I will adjust that in the future. Though one of the tiles sets I have has a great Entangle representation. The Party got to the manor, but didn't light a torch for the humans and seemed unconcerned about noise. A bit of a disagreement between the Knight and the other players during the frog fight seemed to spill over to the manor battle. With each doing their own thing. The Gobos were holed up in the room where the bandits are in TOEE, pretty much the remainder of the convoy fight (8 in the room) here with a few others down below in the Dungeon part of Moat House. We stopped there for the evening. We also shifted our critical hit fumbles. Instead of using the Paizo Fumble/Hit decks were now using the Castle Keeper Guides Critical Hit/Fumble Tables. A bit more deadly.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
A-Series, Part 5

14 March 2014

The Party
2nd Level Ash the Half-Orc Ranger (Ash)
2nd Level Drezal the Half-Elf Assassin (Owen)
1st Level Azmen the Human Druid (Owne)

The Session

The party continued the snake battle, as Knight instead of charging down to help decided to light a torch. The Druid stepped back an uses light spell on his staff. A powerful and violent sword strike by the Ranger dispatches the snake. As the Knight lights the torch and turns around he sees that he's partially surrounded by 8 Goblins, who launch a volley of crossbow quarrels and javelins at him and the horse. He turns to lance one and charge down the hallway where the party is but misses and is exposed. The Druid rushes up to join the fray. The Assassin, stops to loot the venom sacks of the snake and the cleric moves forward along with the ranger. Another flurry of bolts and javelins attack, taking down the Druid and Piercing the heart of the Knights horse killing it instantly. The Knight in a rage charges into the midst of the Goblins swinging. The Ranger battles but is taken down as well. The Assassin finally decides to join the fight and with the cleric and Knight finish off the last of the Goblins with one fleeing into the doorway. The knight gives chase while the cleric and assassin grab the wounded party members and bring them to the snake room. The Knight sees the Goblin trying to flee down a hole and kills it. He surveys the room and kicks a chest over then crawls down the hole which leads him outside to the other side of the moat. Screaming and raging he searches the area for Goblins, but only encounters an owl, it has a message for the party tied to it's leg, which tells them the convoy will wait another 2 days. The knight chases off the owl and wanders around the moat, until he is back in the manor. Meanwhile the party gathers the loot of the Goblins and the contents of the empty chest - 2,000 coppers, 4 arrows, two boxes and 2 bolts of cloth. The cleric knowing the loss of the Knight decides to use the Raise the Dead scroll on the horse. As the knight comes in he simply walks down another hallway and starts to kick in doors the first one reveals a huge lizard who is now very upset. A fight ensues and the ultimately the Cleric dispatches the creature with a crushing mace blow severing the main artery in the process, causing its blood to spew all over the priest of the blood whales golden armor. A chest armor and few coins was there and the dwarf recognize that the area as a dangerous construction/ruin which could collapse. Searching a few other rooms lead to some minor treasure, but little else. After the Assassin discovered a set of stairs leading down to another level. The party decided to hole up in the goblins room as that could lock. Stuffing the remains of the snake (the stuff they didn't each along with gobo bodies in the escape hole they remained two days to heal up.

The party readied themselves for the dungeon crawl and went down the stairs. The Half-Orc first who cajoled the Half-Elf to come down. As the Assassin did so a blob of green slime dropped on him. Looking up they could see another blob on the ceiling. Not knowing what it was, the assassin took horrible damage to his health and was burned and cut, along with losing his armor to get rid of the stuff. The Half-Orc grabs the Assassin and tries to head back up the stairs causing the other blob to fall on him. He too was burned and damaged by the slime. The party burned the rest of slime and turned their attentions to the pillared room with rubble and doorways. Each choose to look in a door way or observe. The Ranger looked upon a torture chamber and then was attacked by Zombies from behind a pillar. The party dispatched them and returned to searching when another two appeared from a doorway. The party fought hard and cleric realized after taking down one more were coming from the doorways. The druid was hit by a Zombie slam attack and fell with extensive damage including a shattered elbow. The Ranger rushed to get the druid out of harms way while the other party member opened doors. At the last second the Cleric attempts to turn the Zombies, but out of the 6 exposed, only one flees....

Castle Keeper Notes

Much better set up with time, using the Basic Flipmap, dry erase markers in conjunction with WOTC Tiles (Dungeon, Castle Grimstead, Haunted keep, etc). Pawns again did a good showing. While I have a bunch of spare books, dice, etc. I've noticed the players are all getting C&C in PDF or E-book and one bought their own dice which was cool to see as well. The Critical Tables in the CKG are pretty tough. Extra d12 of damage helped dispatch the Giant Snake and the Giant Lizard. They like that but, on the flip-side, it was a critical from a Goblin Javelin, along with another Natural 20 on the Crit hit table that killed the Knights horse. Quite a lot of discussion about the whether they should "waste" the raise dead on the horse. But ultimately they did. The Knight player borrowed the Book of Familiars to take a look some options for his mount as well. This journey to Botkinburg has been interesting, a couple of players are cool with and enjoy the moat-house rescue but the other two not so much. A few complaints about too big of a group of monsters attacking. As a Castle Keeper, I'm always surprised at this considering that if a party is going on a rescue mission to someone's lair and you bring a horse into a building and everyone starts shouting, don't be surprised if your ambushed, and if you keep searching rooms, without healing people will die. All in all good fun, but I'll likely cut the moat horse short, so we can get onto Botkinburg.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
A-Series, Part 6
21 March 2014

The Party
2nd Level Ash the Half-Orc Ranger (Ash) (Out this Week)
2nd Level Drezal the Half-Elf Assassin (Owen)
1st Level Azmen the Human Druid (Owne)

The Session

The party was in the midst of an attack against several zombies that were emerging from doors in a long pillared room. THe Ranger bound the wounds of the Druid to stop the bleeding, and then joined the fight. The battle was fierce. Several devastating attacks were brought against the undead, severing, slashing and smashing the foul creatures, but the slam attacks of the zombies took their toll on the party. The Cleric was wounded badly and blinded in one eye, while the the Assassin who survived multiple attacks, finally fell to a blow. With the creatures dispatched, the Cleric cast First Aid to sustain the life of the Assassin. The unconscious party members were brought up to the wagon in the courtyard to be guarded by the Ranger. In the meantime, the Cleric and Knight explored the adjacent room which turned out to be a recently used torture chamber. The last remaining zombie, the one that succumbed to the Turning by the Cleric, was finally dispatched as it was cowering here. A search of the room revealed something unusual to the Cleric. His dwarven stonework ability along with noticing a clue of a blood trail leading to a pillar discovered a secret door which lead down further into the dungeon. The Knight quickly went down the hole using the well worn hand rungs and found himself in an ancient burial crypt. Turning the corner, staring back at him in the flickering of his torchlight were three partially bluish and transparent creatures. The Knight engaged them questioning why they are simply here waiting to ambush people in the middle of nowhere. The Cleric soon joined him. The Ghouls, as they referred to themselves, were here as part of the burial crypt but had joined others of the kind. It is rumored to them that there is an entrance way to the Cyclopean Deeps and the City State of Ghouls they will find it it, but their hunger for fresh flesh drives them on. As the moved forward slowly wielding what looked like a human femur, the Cleric raised his holy symbol of the Whale Tale and banished the creatures. Screaming, they fled to a cavern/warren entrance. The Knight, undaunted, marched through the passageways, ignoring the fleeing Ghouls. The Cleric waited a bit at the entrance, but soon was chasing after the fearless Knight. The journey wound them through passageways, doors and corridors until they felt a breeze on their face and the Cleric noticed a slight change in the passageway as it appeared to lead upward. Instead of following the cavern, they opened a door and discovered a prison of sorts with three unkempt prisoners, a human male (Manor Demounchowski), human female (Lady Noel) and a male Gnome (Lance Bond). For freeing the Gnome, the Cleric was given an Iron Ring. Lance was part of a two-man spy team from a Gnomish village to the north called Feltwater. Hearing of the RedCap problem in the south, along with having distant family in a place called Diamond Dale or Havenwale as the Gnomes know it rumored to be near here, he and his brother James traveled. Manor - a merchant with a messenger service - was initially very traumatized, but the presence of the Knight calmed him and Manor promised the party a rich reward that he will send once he returns to Lundesheim. Lady Noel - a barbarian witch princess from the North, who is betrothed to a Prince Albert Innacann from one of the city-states of Outmere was grateful to Knight, but could only offer her thanks. The three prisoners made mention of Lubash the Ogre, he left with another prisoner, but when he leaves the prisoner never returns. The Ogre has already eaten a Lance's brother James. The party travels up the breeze cavern and find an exit at the surface hidden behind brambles and dead bushes. In the distance they can see the remains of the keep. Linking up with Ash, the party has the Ranger set-up up watch to see if the Ogre will return, while they rest and take care of the wounded. The next 8 hours (rest of the day) is uneventful and as the sun sets, the Cleric heals up the Assassin, who despite being grievously wounded manages to be restored. The Druid with his broken elbow is brought back to consciousness and he remains with the horses as the party goes to set-up an ambush. Lubash wanders along the path carrying a large sack and a heavy club, stopps to relieve himself. At that time the Knight spurs his horse and charges with his lance, but his blow while hurting the Ogre is ineffective. The party all moves in, throwing lances shooting crossbows, even the former prisoners joined in. The Assassin moved in to set-up a death attack, but another charge by the Knight ran the Ogre through destroying the hulk in a trampling of horse hoofs. The merchant unable to control himself rushes up and continues to repeatedly stab the Ogre's remains. Without waiting, the Cleric loots the Ogre's sack. Copper, Silver, Platinum, along with the remains of a human arm, and a grayish cloak are found among worthless baubles. When tried on by the Barbarian Princess, the cloak appears to make her very difficult to see and hear. The Cleric takes the fingers of the Ogre as a trophy and then the party then loads up in the cart and travels through the night to link back up with the Caravan. After telling their tale to Maurice and Sgt Ellwein, it was mentioned that a that a traveling circus had spent some time with the carvan, but journeys south. The group sets out that morning and finally makes it to Botkinburg going directly to The Bent Hook, locally known as Ortolf’s House of Sludge.

Castle Keeper Notes

Pretty good fight with Zombies. As CK, I kept rolling fumbles and that critical fumble table made several of the zombies ineffective. The Assassin was lucking out, until a critical hit felled him to -8. He managed to make his Constitution Save though preventing him from rolling on the Limb Loss table. The Knight was on a mission to find the prisoner(s), so was marching forward heedless of damage. I thought they'd go back to the rooms to explore more instead of going down the secret door in the pillar. I was glad to see that the Knight didn't resort to battle with the Ghouls and engaged them first. In the TOEE it says the Ghouls attack right away, but I wanted it to use them to convey the idea of the Underdark. I like Frog God Games' Cyclopean deeps, but also like the Darklands of Paizo especially the Ghoul Kingdom so I used the Ghouls to convey that idea. Ultimately, as they journeyed I didn't want a Lareth and TOEE guard encounter so changed it to the prison. The Knight Character has rolled up a multi-class Barbarian/Wizard/Monk Human Female, so I figured it was a good way to introduce her. In the Ambush, it was over a lot quicker than I expected as the Knights Charge ability once again won the day. Much to the dismay of the Assassin who had set up to do a Death Attack. I have actually decided to not allow class abilities to be prime as the Castle Keepers guide makes direct mention of it. Though I will allow level bonus. As such we had a discussion with the Knight about that and figured we were doing the Horsemanship/Charge wrong. So we all - the whole group - allowed the Knight to change one of his primes to Dexterity as we didn't realize it at the start of the game. We had a table collapse on us which was fun spilling drinks, pawns, maps, food, books and paper everywhere, all you can do is laugh. The Dungeon Tiles were used along with pawns to good effect and the Forest Flip-Map did well with the ambush. I was too tired at the end of the night to do anything in Botkinburg so we called it. A good game all in all.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well, been a while since I updated, and perhaps this thread should be moved to the "The Crusades" discussion forum, so anyone who can do that please do. Anyway here is the update, I'll keep it short, but am looking for options and welcome input.

So the party made it to Botkinburg and I had the players - ranger, assassin, knight, and cleric - all link up with trainers using the various NPCs. For reference, I allow leveling in a dungeon with HPs rolled, etc. and continued XP, but in order to advance to the subsequent level, they need to link up with a trainer for a week. The only issue was the assassin garnered attention by shouting the guild password outside the tavern. He did get the attention of the Dwarf Gurdin, and I figured the Dwarf now had a patsy and would use the assassin to kill Volkmar. Without questioning, the PC decided to go for it. I had a tournament set up for the Knight and it was decided that an arrow would be the best way. The PC duped the Gnome illusionist into helping (casting color spray as the party's Knight clashed against another Knight in the tourney). This was all done as distraction as the PC let loose and arrow near a privy. He managed a critical hit (Natural 20) and then a great hit on the CKG Crit Hit table, killing Volkmar. His Cloak of Elvenkind helped him out tremendously as he hid in the tent/slit trench. He was discovered, but managed to convince everyone to look for a hobbit murderer. Three new players joined the party - a half-elf wizard and a dwarf fighter, both observers and fans in the bleachers watching the tourney, and a human multi-class (ranger/cleric/druid) whom the other 2 meet at the and a Knight one of Uther Shoder's men. As they all start to team-up, and the Assassin is taken into protective custody because the PC Knight vouches for him, saying he can identify the halfling. The assassin though decides late in the evening to attempts a death attack on one of the sheriff deputies - Erdhart. He does manage an awesome sneak attack, but the death attack is unsuccessful. He gets into a scrap with a guard and the ranger and nearly dies himself, but manages to flee the area. The town is awakened to the ringing of the chancel bells and a bounty is set on the head of the assassin. Small parties are immediately sent out to look for him as he is declared the killer of the king. The Knight now stands accused of regicide in partner with the Assassin. As for the Cleric, he is declared a person of interest but has disappeared. The ranger was not really seen with the party in town and decides to go looking for the assassin on his own. The new knight, an unconscious and drunk gnome, the dwarf fighter and half-elf wizard get together to look for the assassin. After picking up the trail, they encounter a lost traveler, but leave him alone. They realize after about 2 they've lost the trail, and decide to stop for a few hours in a glade discovering a small pond with spring bubbling from within a tree. They all drink from it refreshing themselves. Shortly there after and much to their surprise, a woodsman of some sort greets them (this is Fertermen Gidner, and the Dryad area).

So...Looking for ideas on how to link up the assassin, cleric, ranger and Knight with the other party members. The Knight will likely be beheaded, unless he some how manages to escape or is freed.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Just popping in to say I have really enjoyed reading this over the last six months. My larger campaign has been on hiatus for a bit. I subscribed to this topic as it will help me when it resumes. In that campaign, the party has just arrived in Botkinburg after defeating Gritzhnak the Gnoll outside Malforten in A0: Rising Knight.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Glad you're enjoying it. The recap above was a summary of several sessions we played - probably 4. Had a lot of my local gamers move out of the area for work, and we started to transition to Fantasy Grounds 2 to keep playing. I have the Ultimate edition and with it being on steam now, there is no cost to players and easy access.

We did some in-person FG2 games with everyone bringing their laptops and we use Google+ as the VOIP. As a farewell to a couple of my players, we did one last in person game was with everyone which pretty epic. That was the Knight Tournament and Assassin attack. I had a whole bunch of minis (reaper bones stuff - unpainted) and bunch more pathfinder pawns from the NPC Codex box. I used the Jousting tournament map pack along with several flip-maps. We ended mid-stream with the king just being shot with the arrow. The next couple of games have been on FG2 with new players joining, both in-person and remote, but we use virtual tabletop.

It works out well, and honestly set-up/tear-down is way easier with FG2. Though I do miss all the "stuff". If the assassin keeps running I may have him end up meeting the Witch in the Woods, whom I intend to redub as "Shelba of the Eyeless Face" she'll be the patron of the assassin and ranger (as the Cleric and Knight are patrons of Niguble of the 7-Eyes), the ranger will have heard of the Witch and a dream will bet sent his way to get him there. I'll likely have the Cleric get a weird warning to flee immediately by a bat or something, so that will get him rolling.

The Knight though...He's kind of in a pickle, unless Lundesheim decides to march on Botkinburg to restore order.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
A-Series, Part 11
10 August 2014

The Party
1st Level Herman the Gnome Illusionist (Jay)
2nd Level Ash the Half-Orc Ranger (Ash) (Out this Week)(NPC'd by Josh)
2nd Level Andrisseal - the Human Knight (Brian)(Out this Week)(Imprisoned at Botkinburg).

2nd Level Drezal the Half-Elf Assassin (Owen)(Player left Early - NPC'd by Nate)
1st Level Karzak the Dwarven Fighter (Rich) (Killed by Red Cap Goblins)
1st Level Greybush the Half-Elf Wizard (Kyle)
1st Level Sir Mountain Dew the Human Knight (Andrew)(Out this Week)(Charmed by Dryad)
1st Level Ronin the Human Ranger/Cleric/Druid (Bill)

The Session

With the party (Sir Dew, Karzak, Greybush, Herman and Ronin) refreshed from the drink of the fountain. The cloaked dude appeared and ended up being Fetermen the Druid who explained to them about the fountain. Can't be too good and cant' be too evil. He's the keeper of these parts, and while he was talking the Dryad appeared and then promptly charmed the Ronin and cast Sleep on everyone. When the awoke, the horse, Sir Dew and the Dryad were gone. The Druid was uncharmed and feeling sad. They all decided they had enough and not wanting to chop down the Dryad tree, headed back to Botkinburg. After getting some rest and info (reading wanted posters for a Dwarf Cleric as a person of interest 100 GP and the Half-Elf Assassin 500 GP, Red Caps Bounty - Red Caps 10 GP a red cap and proof of dead Goblins, Yggsburgh Magic Guild looking for Adventurers, etc.) they decide to go up to the great oak, because the Druid said that rumor has it the tree was alive and senitent - at least a story the Druid heard as a child said it was.

I had the Assassin and the Cleric back this session, and a new guy NPC'ing Ash the Ranger. I bounced back in time to the moment the assassin fled into the woods to see what all those Player actions would be so I was running two parties at once. The assassin ended up linking up with his Patron Niguable of the 7 eyes who turned him into a medium sized snail to hide him from the search parties and kept him in a cage in his walking hut. The Cleric and Ranger both got messages sent to them from black birds that dropped an arrow with a message around them warning them to leave and head to the Barren Woods, before the Bell rang at the Chancel. They too met with Niguable, but only Ash was allowed in the Hut (as Niguable sees Ash as one of his guys). Ningauble keeps the Cleric on the rope ladder outside and runs at high rates of speed out of the area yelling at him that Shelba of the Eyeless face or the Witch of the Woods will owe him. (My intent is to link up some of the other party members the Cleric and the Knight with the Witch of the Woods who will be called Shelba of the Eyeless face. Not sure how I'll handle the other new party members yet). They get dropped off the next night and are told to go to the Great Oak at midnight at Botkinburg.

So the two parties meet and with Herman the bridge between the two they join forces. Much effort and sillness is done to tr to get the tree to awake to include hugging and kissing the tree. Ultimately I wake the tree up with a yawn, and say something to the effect that the ent has awoken to get the story moving. I inform them of the trees concern with the Ineng tree that is dying and the owl that is there. Dark Faire are killing it. They all decide to head to Blacktooth via Fromkins Pass. They didn't want to try and get a ferry or boat across the river and while the they might save the tree, the bounty on the Red Caps is what they're really after. Their journey lasts through the night and into the morning, the Assassin uses his disguise ability to look like a merchant. The party ends up meeting two Red Cap goblins that demand tribute, without hesistation, the Dwarf Karzak attacks. 9 other Gobos join the fight against a Fighter, Wizard, Druid, Ranger, Assassin, Cleric, Ranger/Cleric/Druid, Illusionist (party of 8 vs 11 Gobos with 3 Hitpoints each). Well, with a huge 20 character battle, I have to Fantasy Grounds 2 was super easy to use and combat went quick. I'm using the Critical Hit/Fumble Table 6 from the CKG and man did the fumble plague the party. Both dwarfs bit off their tongues, the cleric tripped and fell over, and the final insult was the Dwarf Fighter rolling a fumble (natural 1) and then rolling a natural 20 on the Fumble table which was an auto-kill for the PC. Basically his battle axe bounced off the goblins helmet and struck his own head killing him. 1st PC Death in the game. The player took it well though, the fight continue with another party member going down and one Goblin fleeing off in to the woods. The session ended with the end of the battle and PCs surveying the scene. Everyone was pretty beat up and party had some options: Go back to Botkinburg, Camp and Rest, Track the Fleeing Goblin, Continue on.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
A-Series, Part 12
17 August 2014

The Party
1st Level Herman the Gnome Illusionist (Jay)(Out this Week)
2nd Level Ash the Half-Orc Ranger (Ash) (Out this Week)
2nd Level Andrisseal - the Human Knight (Brian)(Out this Week)(Imprisoned at Botkinburg).

2nd Level Drezal the Half-Elf Assassin (Owen)(Out this Week) (NPC'd by Alex)
2nd Level Caleius the Dwarven Cleric. (Micah)(Out this Week)
1st Level Sprak the Half-Orc Fighter (Rich)
1st Level Sir Mountain Dew the Human Knight (Andrew)(Out this Week)(Charmed by Dryad)
1st Level Ronin the Human Ranger/Cleric/Druid (Bill)

The Session

The party started to loot the Goblins and collect the Red-caps, then heard rustling in the woods, a large tall figure emerged from the brush holding a severed Goblin head. This was Sprak the Half-Orc Fighter, out hunting Red-caps. He joined the party and helped bury Karazk. The rest of the party set up camp in the middle of the road with a fire for safety with Ronin setting traps to help guard the area. The Half-orc sent up poles at all four corners of the intersection with two gobo heads impaled on each as a warning. As they rested a group of Men-At -Arms on horseback came from Botkinburg flying the purple banner. The Half-orc engaged them in parlay. They were looking for a Dwarf Cleric and Half-Elf assassin, and had wanted posters. Caleus stayed behind a rock near the fire, and the assassin disguise ability worked, though neither were really pressed as the Men-At-Arms on were very concerned with the amount of goblins, most never seeing a goblin before. Their intention was to ride to Fromkin Pass to see if the Assassin had headed that way but the events here and the fact that the Goblins were trying to extort money took precedence and they returned back to Botkinburg. The party too, decided to return to Botkinburg after they rested and ended up at the Bent Hook. Their loot - 10 Leather Armor, 10 Short Swords, 10 Short Bows, and 125 Arrows, and 10 Quivers, along with 300 Gold.

At Ortloffs, the party heard stories of a huge battle with 50 Red-caps and a small band of adventurers near Fromkins pass and impaled goblin heads for a mile long stretch. After spending the night, they awoke to a snow covered town. They used the morning to head to the Sheriffs (just Ronin, Skaggs, and Greybush) to collect their redcap bounty. They got 110 Gold and met Erdhart and the sheriff, Erdhart explained he'd be interested in any info on Blacktooth Ridge if they go up that way especially about monster activity. Ronin failed his perception roll so I didn't have him recoginze Erdhart as a ranger. following that, the party then went to the Swilling Swan and sold the loot off for 50 gold and 4 liquor casks of seasonal berry wine.

They then started on the journey back to the pass. But only with Ronin (Ranger/Cleric/Druid), Sprak (Fighter), Greybush (Wizard), and Drezal (Assassin), the others were tired and decided to stay warm. They reached the bridge and crossed it, and made it to the switchback/pass just after night fall. At the top, they saw the tower known as Fromkin’s Aerie, which was littered with bones and animal carcasses outside. The half-orc got closer and using his Darkvision saw inside the Aeire a Kobold body with other carcasses. The party went in and had Assassin climb the stairs using move silently. He rolled at natural 20 on his check so I ruled he was able to climb up and down the stairs without detection. At the top he noticed some shiny objects and weird Bat-like creatures the size of vultures with sharp proboscis instead of beaks (Stirges). He failed to do a count, so the party didn't know how many.

They all decided to attack by rushing headlong up the stairs. Much to their surprise I had 13 of them nesting, and now all awake. The Fighter, Multiclass Dude and the Assassin were all at the top on the stairs, while the wizard shot magic missile taking the first kill of the night. The response by the Stirges was swift with multiple hits (3 on each PC) as it only requires a touch attack. The wizard went down and everyone was pretty badly hurt and the Assassin fumbled breaking his bow and blinding him in one eye. Things looked unpleasant for the party...until the Multiclass decided to cast Sonic Boom and rolled a 7 for damage. It killed all but the two stirges on the wizard and while hurting the party members badly stunning both the Assassin and the Fighter...it saved them all. The fighter charged across the rickety tower level, and made his save and did not fall thru the floor. He killed one of the remaining stirges and noticed a nest with ring and statue. The Multi threw his torch and then took a bow shot killing the last stirge and thus ended the threat. But the wizard was a -6 Hit Points. I play with 0 HP as unconscious and use the limb loss table from CKG. -6 is a CL 0 Constitution Save. Failing it means rolling on the Limb Loss table. Greybush rolled an 18 and was unhurt. A first-Aid Spell and Cure Light wounds got him back and the party decided to fortify the tower with Ranger Traps. They moved all the carcasses outside in a central area and then looted the nest. A quick detect magic noted that ring and the broach (Which had gem on it) were magical. They rested the night and in the morning Greybush studied and used 2 identify spells. As he didn't realize the material components required, I relieved him of 180 Gold to account for the materials of the spell, which he would have bought at Botkinburg. The Broach was identified as a Gem of Brightness with 40 charges and the first ability being the gem shines like a hooded lantern when the command word "lantern" is spoken. The Gem went to Ronin. The ring turned out to be a Ring of Feather Fall and went to Sparks. (Note: Neither of these were in the original module/adventure, but I added them). Greybush got the statue, along with around 13 Gold and 40 Silver. They decide to rest a full 24 hours as the snow was falling heavily and we ended the game session.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
Session 14
Background (24 August 2014)

So you'll see below the adventure continues. I've instituted a 200 XP bonus for those who write up a journal of events. Response was good so now I don't have to do full right ups, but rather than getting a simple rehash of events from everyone, I've now changed it to 200 XP for in character journals. You'll see that in the next post for Session 14.

The Party

1st Level Herman the Gnome Illusionist (Jay)
3rd Level Drezal the Half-Elf Assassin (Owen)(Out this Week)(NPC'd By Josh)
2nd Level Caleius the Dwarven Cleric (Micah)
1st Level Skrag the Half-Orc Fighter (Rich)
1st Level Ronin Human Ranger/Cleric/Druid (Bill)
2nd Level Ash the Half-Orc Ranger (Ash)(Out this Week)
2nd Level Andrisseal - the Human Knight (Brian)(Out this Week)(Imprisioned)
1st Level Sir Mountain Dew Human Knight (Andrew)(Out this Week)(Charmed by Dryad)

Skrag wrote:Skrag and Ronin go hunting, they find some humanoid tracks but that is about it. Caelis and Herman wake up in the Sludge and decide to head up to the Pass after seeing the leader of the assassins in the sludge.

The party meets up at the tower and heal up, afterwards they head out after the tracks that Ronin and Skrag found and follow them, trying to find out where they went. They found some fresh tracks and head south after them.

During the tracking there seems to be a scuffle between one big set of tracks and then the other set of tracks that start off moving much faster. The party follows those tracks and happens upon a site. The site is as follows:

Across the river and down the cleft is a narrow path, hemmed in by shrubs and small trees. The cleft ranges from 10 to 20 in breadth while the path is only several feet wide. At the end of the path is a large stone portal with a tightly shut wooden door barring the way in. To the side of this is a pile of rubble and stone that was once a door. Above the door, on the lintel is a series of time worn runes and glyphs.

Ice Lord Gethgord – Words were Low and Pass were written in runes that Ronin and Greybush were able to read.

Greybush and Ronin are studying the Runes and are trying to piece through them while the rest of the party pulls security and is guarding them as they work on the study of the runes.

45 min later, they piece together through the ground that “pass these portals with empty grace, make solvent a pact, to that with no trace or lay your life low, in this lonely place.”

The door is easily opened but the hinges creek loudly as it does so. Beyond is a large room with a low slung ceiling. A table with several chairs around it is in the middle of the room. Leather tankers and meat scraps are piled on the table. A large open barrel sits nearby. On the floor is a fire ring with red coals in it and in the corner is a large brass brazier with a small fire burning in it. Across the room is another wide double door that is open. Noise comes from down the hall. There are large guffaws of laughter and yelling. (Goblins laughing about dice).

One of the goblins came out looking for ale, we all swung at him, attempting to knock him out, but it didn't go as planned and Ronin shot him in the throat and killed him, we then dragged his body aside. A second goblin (Gorbash) after being taunted came out and we knocked him out and tied him up and gagged him. Drezal decided to scout how many other goblins there were.

We surprised the goblins in the chamber, and killed more than half of them in the surprise round. We heard to barking sounds asking what all the noise was. Skrag yelled that Gorash needed his ass kicked but other than that all was fine. The goblin was missed and yelled that I was not true and that they were under attack.

Two Gnolls came out, and after they stabbed Caelis with their spears; but the party managed to take them down after a few rounds. We explored the rest of the area and collected the bodies and the prisoner, and interrogated the prisoner and collected all the loot, which at this time is too much to carry.

Currently there are three wagons in here, several donkeys, have a dozen sheep, crates and barrels and piles of ill-gotten gains from numerous raids on caravans and other places to the south there are also two wagons half torn apart as they offer an easy source of firewood, several large fires are burning in pits at either end of the room. Three broad passageways lead off from the room.

Marbelrot, or Garmak – Leaders

Skrag interrogated Gorbash and got the following information. That there are about 50 goblins in all but a lot of them are on patrols. That there are a bugbear and a couple lieutenants that are a lot tougher than the gnolls.

Questions asked that he was not able to answer:

Where do you get the red caps? Who supplies them to you? How did you become known as the “Red Caps” What does the “Red Cap” signify?

What is your mission other than raiding? What is your goal?

How many of you are there? (50 + 2 Lieutenants and 1 Bug Bear)

Who in the town are you contacting (Vague Description of the Human)

Why did you capture the twins? (Ransom)

Gorbash also says that the twins are to the left path and that they took them for ransom. The animals were poorly taken care of and were unable to really lay down and the pens were full of their own feces.

A human was described as the “Human” that they are talking to. He has a Blue Tunic, unimpressive, quick fellow, scruffy mustache. That is all the description we were able to get of him from the goblin, perhaps securing another more important prisoner will yield better results. Skrag threatened the goblin and told him that he is going to lead us to the twins and if he warns, shouts or in anyway resists his life is forfit. The goblin Gorbash does not want to die and agrees to the terms. We let him eat and allowed him to drink a lot of ale, keeping him docile and malleable; hoping that he says things that he doesn't want us to know that he's trying to hold back, we'll see how that works. After the goblin ate and was given plenty of ale, he was tied back up securely.

Tunnel to the left will lead us to the twins

Skrag took care of the sheep and donkey’s made sure that they were fed, cleaned them up and told them that we were going to get them out of here after we were done clearing this dungeon; he grabbed some shovels and cleaned out their feces and petted them reassuringly. He also searched the wagons and got them some feed and clean water to drink.

Drezal sets a trap at the entrance to our room; Caelis and Ronin explored the immediate area.

Greybush has all the red caps. We put all the gear in an empty ale barrel and have it sitting in the corner of the room for when we are ready to leave we can put them on a wagon and have a donkey pull a wagon out with all the gear; and the Red Cap's Ill gotten gains.

The plan as it stands is to clear the rest of the dungeon out, come back for the animals and walk them, the twins, and all the ill-gotten gains to the town.

Experience for the Party:

12 EXP each for Goblins
7 EXP for Gnolls
20 exp for party (Gobbo and Gnolls)
100 exp for party for being there
250 exp for Skrag for RPer of the night
50 exp for Drez and Ronin for Traps
100 exp for Greybush and Ronin – Deciphering the Runes
100 exp to party for going along with Skrag's plan to take prisoner and calling goblins in one by one.
2 exp to Greybush for Dovecall

Treasure :

12g 4s each x2 (first two goblins)
8 Boiled Leather Armor
8 Red Caps
8 Short Spears
40gp / 24sp / 240cp (From Goblins)
Scale Mail x2
Shield x2
Spear x2
Helmet
32gp / 50sp (From Gnolls)

Total Coin: 96gp / 82sp / 240cp *Each: 16gp, 14sp, 40cp
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Onward to the A-Series
Session 14
Background (31 August 2014)

The Party

1st Level Herman the Gnome Illusionist (Jay)(Out this week)(NPC'd by Kyle and then Owen)
3rd Level Drezal the Half-Elf Assassin (Josh - he's now official assumed control of Drezal from Owen)
2nd Level Caleius the Dwarven Cleric (Micah)(Out this week)(NPC'd by Rich)
1st Level Skrag the Half-Orc Fighter (Rich)
1st Level Ronin Human Ranger/Cleric/Druid (Bill)
1st Level Swith Human Bard (Owen)

I'm leaving Ash the Ranger and Andisseal the Knight off the roles, they are welcome to come back and have a standing invitation, but real life has a precedence for them. Here you'll see Greybush's perspective of things.
Greybush wrote:The Session

Set in Erde, where I record the journey the party began this session in an underground lair where the red caps had collected the loot from their raids and kept them. The party had recently dispatched 8 goblins and 2 Gnolls and made camp in a room in the cavern to recover spells and heal up.

Greybush is looking at his fingers wondering why he has 5 on each hand rather than 6. 6 would be and even number and will odd numbers are just .... odd....

It smells kind of funny in the lair since the goblins are leaking all over the place. Goblin blood is not one of my favorite smells but adventure has its price doesn't it? Gnolls are large and ugly beasts.

Sitting my watch and thinking about my spells in this musty room, the roach worm on the fire is starting to stink and look like jerky. The pickle goblin snores rather noisily next to Ronnin and Hermann. Suddenly the noise traps that Drezal set up make a lot of noise and I wake everyone up to get ready for whatever happens. Fortunately, the party that was coming back harangue the dead occupants of the room and they move on past us. *whew* Now Dresal is headed out to see if he can identify the size of the party that came by.

And now since we've rested up the adventure continues. As we make our way around to the left, Skrag tries to get himself killed again by wanting to charge into a room full of Gnolls. Fortunately, Greybush the not-so-clueless advises that we check out the area beside us before we charge in. Drezal goes in to check the room beside us and finds a goblin and kills him.

Now we are faced with a room with Gnolls in it. Skrag kicks the door open and Dresal and Ronin take a shot and miss on the surprised Gnolls. Both Skrag and Cealis charge in and miss. Greybush fires two magic missiles at Gnoll 1 and and hits the Gnoll for 7 points of damage from two different missiles. Skrag finally connects with Gnoll 2 for 8 points of damage. Wounded Gnoll 1. The goblin slips away during the melee and Drezal chases after him. Greybush goes postal raging into the room and cracks Gnoll 3 over the head with his staff dealing 5 points of damage yelling, "do I have to do all the work around here!?" Ronin fires an arrow and hits Gnoll 2 with an arrow felling him. Caelis connects with Gnoll 3 and takes the creature down! 60 xp /6 for killing 3 Gnolls.

Skrag then runs off to chase after the goblin. Skrag comes back with the goblin over his shoulder unconscious and threatens an unconscious goblin. Skrag is a strange one...

I wonder into the room where the ogres hang out and start searching around and find 3 sacks of ogre stash. 45 gp, 120 sp, 410 cp, some dice mad of bone and a gold chalice worth 30 gp and a mirror (100xp). I grin to myself thinking, "ahhh payday..." Looks like being a beat up wizard isn't such a bad thing today.

I heard that in the other room, Caelis opened the chest and found two silver candle sticks, a snuffer, three silver plates and silverware as well as 5 rings as well as a stature of Unklar the Horned One. Also a small gold mouthpiece to a musical instrument. Also 48 gp, 135 sp, 220 cp. On the Gnolls, there is a shield, scalemail, helmet a mace and 2 battle axes.

We make our way north minus Drezal and find a prison with 4 people in it. A pair of twins, a man in a blue tunic and a hefty looking medium sized man is also in here. Everyone is shakled. I notice a couple of chicks in the corner, wonder over and hit on them. "Hey ladies. Come here often?" I don't really think that's such a bad line but apparently they thought it was pretty bad because they both started crying... I wonder over and snuggle in between the girls making a little half-elf sandwich. Skrag frees one of the girls and she runs into my arms. I sooth her hair whispering soothing sounds. I walk over to the wall and looking rather macho like and yank the chain out of the wall (150xp). I pump my fist in the air and holler yeah! Now I've got both twins with one on each shoulder. Finally the other members of the party work the other two prisoners free. What a bunch of wusses...

We decide to make our way out of the goblin stronghold and Drezal comes running around the corner with a goblin chasing him. Ronin shoots an arrow and takes a goblin down. I hear the alarm sounding and run with the girls toward the entrance to the lair.
CK Overview:

Last week, we stopped with the Party deciding to stay in the Goblin Room by the entrance. A Here it was a toss-up for me. They explored the other areas and this section and knew it was refuse piles, which IMHO would have been the more logical choice – kill the rot grubs/worms and then hide out in the stink. No one will go in other than to throw out trash. But alas they didn’t so I had an encounter. The party came in at dawn, I’ve decided most of the creatures here would be bedding down with activity being high during the evening and resting during the day. The party set traps (Assassin & Ranger/Druid/Cleric) and holed up on shifts. I figured one encounter from a returning hunting party would do it, 3 Gobos and Gnoll, more to just harass than actually fight. They made some annoying because of the sound traps, but decided to carry on back with the deer they’d killed for food. Yeah, I gave ‘em that one, but it gave a break and a rest – enough to study spells and make the Magic Users (Cleric, Illuisionist, Druid, Wizard) all be functional. Plus I figured out how to use the rest feature on fantasy grounds.

Drezal jumped right in exploring stuff and scouting. So good use of the Assassin skills. The rest of the party carried on discovered the Gnolls who just got back from another hunting party. The Half-Orc smelled them and the party decided to explore the other areas around, the Gnolls. They stumbled upon the Ogre room, and I read it wrong so had loud snoring, but after realizing my mistake made it a sneaky Goblin. The Assassin dispatched the Gobo and the party then kicked in the door where the Gnolls are. Arrows let loose and the party charged in doing absolutely nothing. Though the Wizard was effective with magic missile and the Illusionist cast Illusory Hounds which was effective on 2 of the 3 Gnolls to direct their hits elsewhere. The Gobo they captured, decided to sneak away in the midst of the melee. One guy noticed him gone and Drezal took off after him along with Skrag. Ultimately the party dispatched the Gnolls, though wizard was big winner here taking out a gnoll with his magic missiles and then running up and clubbing a gnoll to death. The captured the Gobo, just before he reached the main barracks and kitchen. Lesson learned here and they ensured his legs were tied just enough. The Wizard also managed to find, via his half-elf ability the hidden Ogre treasure and the Dwarven Cleric blasted open the chest with a spell quite effectively.

Drezal decided to stay in the area near the wagons and scout out that side (barracks and kitchen). He made a lot of his hide checks and his move silently checks. All the while the rest of the party went and found the twins. This is huge because I’ve ran A1 but the game usually ended the campaign before the twins were ever found. So here they rescue them and I also introduce Owen’s new character Swith the Human Bard as another prisoner. Skrag was pretty suspicious of Baldrious the Lundsehiem spy, and rightly so, but I played it pretty straight so suspicious were lowered. I decided the key would be on the Goblin in the Ogre room, but no one ever searched him. They used a crowbar and strength checks to free everyone (pulling the chains out of the wall – though still locked at the wrist). The Half-Orc though was unable to free one of the twins despite help and tools. The Wizard decided to make a strength check (gotta love the SEIGE Engine) and made a quite a show with the two twins saying he’ll set them free, and blamo he rolls a natural 20.

With everyone free, the start to move back to go out the entrance. In the meantime, Drezal ends up discovering the barracks, but fails his move silently check and two guards go to see what’s up, then he fails his hide rolls and they shout one running for more the other chasing him into the wagon room, and a gong alarm started to sound (something I’ve seen with D&D Online: Eberron Unlimited the Kobolds use it to great effect, much to my chagrin). I played it that the rest of the party would meet right as Drezal entered with the Goblin hot on his trail. The ranger dispatched the Goblin with a quick shot as he starts to back up seeing the much larger party.

The wizard and twins run to the entrance and the rest of the party was trying to decide what to do as the Gong Alarm rings loudly.

In other notes, we've been using a natural 1 as a fumble and a natural 20 as a critical and then a roll on the Table 6's in the CKG. Which can be quite deadly (which indeed was with the death of the Dwarf Fighter on a fumble). So we had a vote and decided to use Table 5 for Crits and Fumbles, but also a roll to confirm a critical or fumble (needing only to hit for both).

The Ranger/Cleric/Druid decided on the Greek Pantheon, specifically Artemis, which grants a +2 to hit for bow users. I hadn't allowed multi-class before but figured I'd try it here. I'll need to review it to see what's what on it as it seems pretty powerful. I'm not one to walk back on a decision, but I'll alter effects as needed, paying particular attention to worship - he is a Cleric/Druid so we'll see and we'll see how the Dwarven Cleric who is a Worshiper of the Blood Whale (home brew monotheistic deity) roleplays it, should be fun.

Anyone have any experience with 3 character Multi-class PC? Thoughts?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Have about 4 sessions to recap on. All the players are now submitting their journal entries, all very entertaining and really tell the story quite well from each of their perspectives, but it would be a bit much to post them all here. I give out 250XP for the journals and 100XP for showing up. A lot of role-play these days and lot of craziness. Most of the Party is now 3rd Level and consists of the following:

Ronin the Human Ranger/Cleric/Druid - 1st Level
Skrag the Half-Orc Fighter - 3rd Level
Greybush the Clueless the Half-Elf Wizard (3rd Level)
Drezal the Half-Elf Assassin (3rd Level)

Occasional Players - A 1st level Human Bard, A gnome Illusionist, a Dwarven Cleric, a Human Ranger, a Human Knight

The party escaped the Varlagog using a sonic burst spell that went critical (they used the big purple rule and rolled quite high on d30 for damage) which caused a roof collapse. Barldus (now known as the blue tunic guy) fled the area across the river. I made it a puzzle instead of shallow all the way across. The party spent some time on it and then got across, briefly encounter Niguable of the 7 eyes. Then made their way to Botkinburg with a twins and red-cap barely alive for interrogation. The bard does have the first part of the horn he only knows it is very magical and its part of an instrument, but that's it.

At Botkinburg, the party is greeted as heroes. Drezal is disquised and maintains his new image as a Axe wielding fighter. the party trained up (1 week per level) and spent all told about 6 weeks in town. Fighter training with Frenkin the one armed fighter, Greybush training with Aladius who is now the defacto ruler of Botkinburg (Volkmur is dead). He is interested in finding a potion of youth restoration for his friend clement and has put out a call to adventures, knights and others to rid the area of the red-caps. The ranger went looking for an animal companion, specifically a wolf. He found tracks of a pack of wolves with something bigger, but like a wolf and decided going out on his own like that probably wasn't a good idea. They are told of various adventure hooks - the Ranger group in the Sheriffs office, Old Man Nestor retells stuff, Drezal ends up proposing to Ortloffs Daughter, the twins family is really happy and alludes to marriage of their daughters to Heroes, Aladius is mentions a possibility of land and title for work in the future. As Greybush and Skrag are often at the keep, they encounter a rebuffed ambassador of sorts leaving Aldasius office. He had offered aid to Botkinburg because of the red-caps, but Aldadius rejected it because of the oath of fealty required to Lundesheim. Ultimately because Baldarus said he was from Lundeshim, decide to head to Lundeshiem and the fact that the retinue was returning back to Lundesheim (more numbers means safety)

Travel to Lundesheim. I made it about 5 days of traveling and used the Riddleback Random encounter tables from Usuper of the Fell axe (which describes Lundesheim). They encounter a lone shepherded with his flock just looted of half his flock in the middle of winter and had his house burned down by Miles Freland and make mention of the Giants at another farm house near Lundesheim. Another day they encountered some bounty hunters looking for red caps and miles freland, I even mention the path heading to Gipsheim for A2 Slag Heap (more in line with the party level) but no takers, so Lundesheim they go heading for the griffin room. At Griffin Room as they're just getting there, the party encounters a swarm of street and Drezal throws gold around and a beggar lady steals his ring, but he does make some contact with the underworld.

I'll write more later, but that was the like 2 sessions worth. I play a sandbox style so they did encouter some really difficult areas and have learned from it, but also gleaned a lot of information.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

So it's been a while since I posted, but our regular game keeps meeting. Over a year now, some new faces and some old. We're on Session 25,

The party had an interesting time exploring Ludesheim. The party's assassin made contacts with the underworld and set up a time to get paid for his killing the Baron of Botkinburg. The party also explored the sewers looking to find out why the rats disappeared. During the search they found the back entrance of the Cabal's underworld and looted the three trunks. On the way out they encountered a Flesh Golem and a Wyverrn who decided to battle each other and not the party. (I thought it was a Wyverrn, not worms, but just went with it). The pay-off for the assassination didn't go well. His contact gave him the payoff and had another mission for him down in Gypsiem. He also was asked to keep an eye out for some goods, as an interested party was recently robbed. The Assassin decided to explain that he did know about it and things went down hill from there. A chase scene and a series of murders to escape the group made it out on ship headed toward Botkinburg.

On the ship (The Pacific Princess headed up by Captain Stubeing), they heard rumors of giants. I had them encounter the Otter from the A-Series and they rescued him, and then ended up at using Upon the Powder River for a series of adventures - to include rescuing the inn at Willobrook and killing the fey Oveid Pal. They didn't go for the Golden Shingle, but instead headed toward across the river and back to Botkinburg. The Assassin PC was becoming a bit to divisive, so he is now an NPC heading to the Golden Shingle himself, the Player running him - it's really been a series of players that played him - all the same way, basically as a psychopath - rolled up a Cleric/Monk.

Enroute they encounterd the wreck of the Pacific Princess and a terrfied Merchant - Mr. Demochowski (an NPC that brought them from the Ruins of Ramat to Botkinburg). There they faced down teh the Cyclops and killed him severing his head. On road back to Botkinburg, they hit bad winter weather followed by an encounter with 2 younger white dragons - sisters named Castor and Polloxs.

I've wanted to try out a Dragon Encounter to get a good baseline on where the party was at. Primarily because of the "Big Purple" rule, where once per session you can use a d30 to replace any roll - yes a dagger can do 1d30 if you want to try it. Rather than engaging the two, the party lashed out, leaving them with half the party frozen from Dragon Breath. One though was caught in a vicious Melee and tried to flee after the party really hammered it with Sound Burst (using the Big Purple) and as it fled the dragon fell from the sky by a javlin throw. It's sister, had grabbed one of the pony's (it's intention all along was to get tribute - they claimed the territory around the area), but dropped in favor of grabbing its sibling.

The party doesn't know if they killed one or not, on the way back to Botkinburg, they discovered a farmer that is being taxed by Dragons - a Cow a month. The party spent last session training, gathering info, sharing the Cyclops head and being hailed as Heroes of Botkinburg. They fenced (to Gurden the Dwarf Assassin), put on consignment (with the Widow Botkin) and gave away to charity (at the Chancel in exchange for a Scroll of Aid) all the loot they stole from the 3 chests in Lundesheim. Slight problem as Gurden is going to go back to Lundeshiem to sell the stuff, a definite problem for the party coming.

Anyway, Looks like the Dragon Fight is tonight, the Party has a plan to trap the dragon in the farmhouse and they called in a favor for a Ballista, so we'll be using the Fields of Battle rules for it. I haven't decided if one or two Dragons will be there. Any thoughts or comments on how to play this would be helpful.

The party is as follows:
3rd Level Half-Elf Wizard with Web and Magic Missile (and a wand of Magic Missiles)
3rd Level Half-Orc Fighter in Full Plate
1st Level Elf Monk/Cleric, a 1st Level Dwarf Barbarian
2nd Level Half-Elf Rogue
2nd Level Human Ranger/Cleric/Druid
2nd Level Gnome Illusionist
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

I've posted here on an off about the ongoing C&C game I'm running. While I'm not posting every session anymore, primarily because just about all the Players are writing journals and the length of these posts would be overwhelming. As a quick update, with SPOILERS//Spolier Alert///SPOILERS The Team consists of:

4th Level Half-Orc Fighter, 3rd Level Human Druid/Ranger/Cleric, 3rd Level Elf Cleric/Monk, 4 Level Half-Elf Wizard, 4th Level Half-Elf Rogue, 2nd Level Gnome Illusionist, 3rd Level Dwarf Barbarian.

Not everyone can play every session, but they have a "Hat (Derby) of Opulent Lodging" that the PCs go into (if they're not NPC'd by another). The Team's been around Botkinburg and Blacktooth Ridge to rescue the Molken Twins, down to Lundesheim fleeing rapidly from the dangers there, journeying on road and river encountering the Otter, then using Upon the Powder River, which I just made a branch of the main river, they did Thorns for Beer, killed Cyclops, and then battled a pair of White Dragons. They are Heroes of Botkinburg (Copper Level) and also Dragon Slayers of Botkinburg, and have ingratiated themselves to the town leadership (now led by Aladius the Wizard). It's been quite a ride and they're now back in the Vargolog to clear it out, with the witty saying of "Blacktooth Ridge Meets the Dentist." I've added somethings along the way to challenge the party, and they've managed to come out each time. They've killed just about everything on the upper level of the Vargolg, they've bought off/hired one Bugbear - who was the only survivor in the big battle with Marglog, Grakmuk and team of Bugbears, gobos and gobo clerics. They're now dealing with the Harem and the Goblin children. Really interesting session in terms of Roleplay and Moral Choices, more is coming as they battle the Goblin Harem. We'll see what happens next and if they'll head down into the Deeps of the Vargolg.

Anyway, Great Fun and challenge for all involved, so Thank you to all the Trolls for making a great game!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria