The Darkness of the Heart-PbP- OOC Game thread

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
Veritas

Post by Veritas »

If Kelvan can get a shortbow shot off at one of the orcs charging him before they get there, he will, then switch to his hammer. If he can't, he'll drop the bow and switch to his hammer.

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

ShawnG wrote:
the tactical situation:

There appear to be four orcs (if the creature that Ysberyl shot is indeed an orc) and one "other" creature. Two of the orcs emerged from either side of the trail, and are advancing on Kelvan. Olidahn is near the shot orc, and the orc that is taking aim at Ysberyl. Varnick and Rolin have been enveloped by magical darkness and cannot see. the unnamed horror is advancing on them. Ysberyl is in the rear, and can see the orc aiming at him, and the new terror..

Did my best to make a picture of the situation (so we can make tactical decisions). Right now, I will attempt to finish off the injured orc. Remember that combat marauder gives me an extra +1 to damage orcs.
[/code]

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Wow, that's pretty close to my crude pen drawing! (well to be honest it's a mirror image, you must be left handed )

I will have details on the carnage later this evening!

Only changes to your drawing other than flipping it, is that the wounded orc is on the other side of the log from you, and the orc with the bow is away from the trail more, probably 25'

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Ok it's up!

Ollidahn has taken one point of damage from the orcish arrow.

(by the way, you need to quickly update your character sheet with some equipment, and an armor class, I went with leather for the purposes of this combat, I really should have checked more fully before we started. you have 11 hit points total, I rolled for you)

Kelvan, Ysberyl, and Varnick are, as yet, unscathed.

Rolin however is not in good shape, the first attack while in the darkness dealt 7 hp damage, and the subsequent swipe dealt 2.

I took the liberty of casting magic missile for Varnick, and Ysberyl loosed an arrow, since I figured that he would have done. (critical hit too!)

The Orc archer on his second attack on Ollidahn fumbled, thus the tree root incident. in general the orcs were pretty inept with their rolls.
We have one prone, and irate partially damaged orc, and one "other" that seems to shrug off very solid hits. (damage from rolin's mace was 10!)

P.S. I would like to know if you enjoy the way I've done this, or whether you'd prefer to write the combat descriptions yourselves? I could just post raw attack data here, and you could fill in the blanks; or we could just continue like this, I'm open to suggestions.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So I got hit despite my total concealment in darkness and their being -10 to hit because of it?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

short answer, yes.

Long answer, without giving away monster stats, this is not anywhere close to being a 1HD monster so with all modifiers put together it still came to a small penalty to hit, and it rolled well. it needed an 18 to hit you and rolled a 19.

I'm not a killer CK, but I don't fudge die rolls for story purposes, your smack with the mace was very impressive, as well as Ysberyl's with the bow, so you aren't in as much trouble as you may think, if you can get some help quickly.

Veritas

Post by Veritas »

I'm good with the descriptions you're providing. I do that when I run my pbp games. I have them state their basic action and give me rolls and then I compile the round together, giving descriptions of the combat.

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

ShawnG wrote:
Ok it's up!

Ollidahn has taken one point of damage from the orcish arrow.

(by the way, you need to quickly update your character sheet with some equipment, and an armor class, I went with leather for the purposes of this combat, I really should have checked more fully before we started. you have 11 hit points total, I rolled for you)

Kelvan, Ysberyl, and Varnick are, as yet, unscathed.

Rolin however is not in good shape, the first attack while in the darkness dealt 7 hp damage, and the subsequent swipe dealt 2.

I took the liberty of casting magic missile for Varnick, and Ysberyl loosed an arrow, since I figured that he would have done. (critical hit too!)

The Orc archer on his second attack on Ollidahn fumbled, thus the tree root incident. in general the orcs were pretty inept with their rolls.
We have one prone, and irate partially damaged orc, and one "other" that seems to shrug off very solid hits. (damage from rolin's mace was 10!)

P.S. I would like to know if you enjoy the way I've done this, or whether you'd prefer to write the combat descriptions yourselves? I could just post raw attack data here, and you could fill in the blanks; or we could just continue like this, I'm open to suggestions.

Didn't I do any attacks?

[ps, I will get to that equipment shortly] For armor, it is studded leather, so +3 AC, +3 for Dex is 16.

Veritas

Post by Veritas »

BASH MAN, your actions were Shawn's first post:
ShawnG wrote:
Olladahn leaps into action at Ysberyl's cry. Running swiftly to the top of the log you draw your bow and loose a quick shaft at the rising orc. the arrow takes the orc directly in the throat, and he is felled, his last curses gurgling into the forest loam. You hear the twang of a bowstring to your left, and look up to see the orcish archer reach for another darkly fletched arrow to let fly at his target. slightly off balance from standing on the log, your arrow finds only a grazing mark along the goblinoid's shoulder, but you have succeeded in drawing the Orc's Ire and attention, as he sends the cruel arrow in your direction. The filthy broadhead rips a bleeding line along your ribcage on your right side, staining your travel garments with blood.

It's just a scratch, but your aim has been spoiled, your next arrow flies wide of the mark. The Orc grins evilly as he strides slowly forward aiming at your head.

It is said that nature protects its own, and you realize the truth of this when you see the goblinoid trip on a raised root, falling to the ground as the shaft meant for you thuds uselessly into the turf several yards in front of you. From behind you hear a cry for help...

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Veritas, you have one roll remaining that you rolled earlier, but everyone else will need to post new rolls. you spent one round assessing the situation

Veritas

Post by Veritas »

Cool. Thanks. Did you want a couple more, just in case?

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

yeah give me a couple of rolls, and roll a DEX check to get through the darkness without doing a face plant!

Veritas

Post by Veritas »

I edited my last IC post with those rolls.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ShawnG wrote:

Perfectly fine with me, so far so good!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Rhuvein: the unnamed horror is the creature attacking Rolin, the figure on horseback you saw in the distance did not take part in combat, so all we have left is one orc in Ollidahn's vicinity, and the creature attacking Rolin.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ShawnG wrote:
Rhuvein: the unnamed horror is the creature attacking Rolin, the figure on horseback you saw in the distance did not take part in combat, so all we have left is one orc in Ollidahn's vicinity, and the creature attacking Rolin.

Oops, OK thanks. I'm clear on it now!
[I'll change my IC post]

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Okay, first off, let me post my equipment here:

Carries: Walking staff (drops it when knocking arrow)

Back scabbard: Broadsword

Shortbow

Quiver: 30 Arrows, 10 Silver Arrows (if this is too much, extra arrows are in backpack)

Backpack: small cookpot, 50' Rope & Grappel, A few days rations: Jerky, dry oats, salt pork, butter, apples

Beltpouch: Flint n Steel, Fishing Line & Hooks, Pipe and 10 "bowls" of good tobacco, bell, 12 goodberries, 20 regular berries

Waterskin

Now my second round's actions:

Hearing the cry for help, I turn to see the cries of help, and see the un-named horror. I loose a silver arrow at it, suspecting that regular arms may be of little use.

I will fire at it once, then fire a regular arrow at that orc who tripped, then fire at it again with the silver arrow.

d20+4 roll gave:

Roll 1: 22.

Roll 2: 10.

Roll 3: 18.

Bow Damage: +1 if combat marauder applies

Roll 1: 6.

Roll 2: 6.

Roll 3: 2.

Saves are unmodified. Raw dice rolls:

Roll 1: 18.

Roll 2: 7.

Roll 3: 11.

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Sorry Guys, I have the combat finished, but need half an hour to compose and post, probably Monday!

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

It is monday! Did any of us die?

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

It's Tuesday, and you're all still alive! Sorry about the wait, guys.

If you weren't aware, I am in real estate. The last thing that I expected this time of year, and in this market, was to be really busy for the last three days! I am not complaining, but unfortunately this thread had to get left behind a little. Rolin, thankfully did not get hit in the last round of combat, but has only 5hp left. Ollidahn lost 1hp from the previous rounds, but otherwise you are unscathed. Your guys owe Ysberyl some thanks for keeping his head up, and scanning the woods as you dashed forward, or that ambush would have been far nastier.

Currently you have some dead bodies of foes lying about, and you can hear the faint results of whatever is happening on the road ahead.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ShawnG wrote:
It's Tuesday, and you're all still alive! Sorry about the wait, guys.

If you weren't aware, I am in real estate. The last thing that I expected this time of year, and in this market, was to be really busy for the last three days! I am not complaining, but unfortunately this thread had to get left behind a little.

No problem at all for me. I'm always glad to hear when things go well for any of us that work or try to work. With the crazy ways things are going on in the US, the economy and corporate America, it's good to see some positive stuff happening!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I so wish I still had the Bloodstone Mine modules. I lost them in my house fire a couple of years ago, along with the vast majority of my Dungeon and Dragon mage collection. Over 15 years of magazines gone. Including the old Dragon mag with the Thieves Cant written up in it.

Very depressing.

In case anyone is wondering why I am bringing up the Bloodstoone modules, our CK's Icon is from the cover of the third or fourth mod in the series. I think its H4.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Thanks, Rhu -- I could go into a large off topic rant at this point about the fallacy of the media's portrayal of the "housing bubble", but it's Christmas season, and you don't need to hear it
Yes, Tree I cut and pasted that pic from my pdf copy of H2 (the whole series is avail in pdf at Paizo for $4 each) I liked the setting and idea of those modules more than the actual modules themselves, but they were legendary. I was just searching for a cool avatar and what is cooler than Orcus?

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Me and Orcus would like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas, and a happy holiday season!

Cheers!

Shawn

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ShawnG wrote:
Me and Orcus would like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas, and a happy holiday season!

Cheers!

Shawn

Thanks Shawn.

And Happy Christmas to you and everyone in our game and anyone else who might happen to be following the action or just fell into this thread accidently!

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Did we lose Robocoastie? I have posted the continuation. I don't expect anybody to go at this hard core during the holidays, but hopefully we can all get in more of a swing next week.

Rolin and Ollidahn are now fully healed after the blessings of St. Cuthbert, and the lone goodberry.

And of course, Happy New Year! be safe!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Maybe we should PM some people and let them know its time to get serious about our PbP.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So is this game dead, dying, going to survive, what?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I hope we're still playing, after all we just got started!

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Well I am still in it!