Awful quiet around here...

Amazing Adventures is Pulp Role Playing: Hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle . . . .
Post Reply
User avatar
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 am

Awful quiet around here...

Post by Jason Vey »

...which admittedly is partially my fault for having been lax about posting. I recently switched jobs--took a huge paycut (by choice) to finally become a librarian and use my education as the very first ever head librarian (or librarian of any kind) at a brand spanking new library in a community that has never had one, in all of its 150 years of existence. It's very exciting and I'm still processing the fact that it's real.

Now if I can find a second source of income to make up the difference, and figure out a way to pull out some sustainable funding for the library so I can build it to the point where I won't NEED sustainable funding, all will be great.

In any case, that's why my absence over the past couple weeks. Life has been a whirlwind between the job change and the holidays.

Anyway, enough about me. What's everyone doing with Amazing Adventures these days? Are we all still out there spreading the gospel?

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Omote »

Interestingly, Amazing Adventures is alive and well. Steve mentioned, somewhere, that he wants to get AA a new hardback reprint in the next few months. That's pretty cool.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
dachda
Lore Drake
Posts: 1553
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 am
Location: Topsham, Maine

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by dachda »

Omote wrote:Interestingly, Amazing Adventures is alive and well. Steve mentioned, somewhere, that he wants to get AA a new hardback reprint in the next few months. That's pretty cool.

~O
A hardback reboot would be great. Plus some a setting book or two with an adventure added would be great as well.

User avatar
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Jason Vey »

I didn't realize the cat was out of the bag about that.

Yes, we're doing the second print in hardcover, with a few revisions--nothing major; the type of stuff C&C does with new printings. There will also be a monster book, and I'm working on a major sourcebook. Steve and I discussed lots of plans for the future of AA at Gen Con this year and it's been hard to keep quiet about it!

User avatar
dachda
Lore Drake
Posts: 1553
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 am
Location: Topsham, Maine

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by dachda »

The Grey Elf wrote:I didn't realize the cat was out of the bag about that.

Yes, we're doing the second print in hardcover, with a few revisions--nothing major; the type of stuff C&C does with new printings. There will also be a monster book, and I'm working on a major sourcebook. Steve and I discussed lots of plans for the future of AA at Gen Con this year and it's been hard to keep quiet about it!
Yeah, but the leaks create an anticipation, which hopefully for you and the Trolls, boils over in a frenzy of buying!

User avatar
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Jason Vey »

Yeah, but they also create a frenzy of, "Where is it?" and "It's just vaporware. IF they ever put it out then we'll talk."

User avatar
dachda
Lore Drake
Posts: 1553
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:00 am
Location: Topsham, Maine

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by dachda »

The Grey Elf wrote:Yeah, but they also create a frenzy of, "Where is it?" and "It's just vaporware. IF they ever put it out then we'll talk."
Ha! Not around this forum. We all know what Troll speed is like!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by tylermo »

Jason, you'll be happy to know that David "Zeb" Cook (Slavelords, Isle of Dread, Star Frontiers, Indiana Jones, 2nd ed. D&D fame) was perusing AA at Game Hole Con in November. He's a fan of pulp, and I'm happy to say a copy found its way into his hands. On a related note, I found a used copy of AA in the dealers room (slightly damaged)...3.00 and still in really good shape. I felt sorry for it, and took it home.

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Omote »

This 2nd edition Hardback is what I am looking forward too. I think the AA game is neat, but does need a little bits of cleaning up. Plus, I really think it needs the hardback treatment.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
Ronin77
Red Cap
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Ronin77 »

I got 3 copies of AA. A hard back? Sure I got room for 3 more. :D

My game is going good. Although slowed down a bit due to the
holidays. Hoping in the new year I'll be able to get a game or two
Going in google+ hang outs.

I'm also going to get to more AA content on my blog in the new year,
I hope.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

User avatar
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake
Posts: 3350
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Relaxo »

The Grey Elf wrote: Yes, we're doing the second print in hardcover, ...there will also be a monster book, and I'm working on a major sourcebook. Steve and I discussed lots of plans for the future of AA at Gen Con this year and it's been hard to keep quiet about it!
UBERSWEETNESS!!!!!!

Great luck as head librarian! All the best!!!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

User avatar
Ronin77
Red Cap
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Ronin77 »

dachda wrote:
The Grey Elf wrote:Yeah, but they also create a frenzy of, "Where is it?" and "It's just vaporware. IF they ever put it out then we'll talk."
Ha! Not around this forum. We all know what Troll speed is like!
Yeah got to agree. Crusaders are some of the most patient fans.
When fans of other games start singing the vaporware song, we
hold our castle keepers guides and chuckle at them.
Joey Mullins AkA GamingRonin
My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/

Gritty6 (epic6)

User avatar
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Jason Vey »

tylermo wrote:Jason, you'll be happy to know that David "Zeb" Cook (Slavelords, Isle of Dread, Star Frontiers, Indiana Jones, 2nd ed. D&D fame) was perusing AA at Game Hole Con in November. He's a fan of pulp, and I'm happy to say a copy found its way into his hands. On a related note, I found a used copy of AA in the dealers room (slightly damaged)...3.00 and still in really good shape. I felt sorry for it, and took it home.
Awesome! I know Zeb in passing--I had the pleasure to speak with him (online) what seems like ages ago, now, when we were working on the ZeFRS project and he popped over to the forums to give us his blessing. Cool guy and I'm honored that he picked up my game!

In other news I'll be uploading a "final" PDF of the full combined errata for the first edition/printing, here, very soon.

User avatar
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Jason Vey »

Omote wrote:This 2nd edition Hardback is what I am looking forward too. I think the AA game is neat, but does need a little bits of cleaning up. Plus, I really think it needs the hardback treatment.

~O
Omote, I'm curious--what parts do you think need cleaned up? I'd like to make sure that I'm addressing everyone's concerns as best I can with the second print.

Thanks!

User avatar
Omote
Battle Stag
Posts: 11560
Joined: Wed May 03, 2006 7:00 am
Location: The fairest view in the park, Ohio.
Contact:

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Omote »

You'll have to forgive me as I can't think of many specifics at this time, save one. I guess that means it time for me to break out my copy and reread it. ;)

When we were first discussing various combat options, there was some confusion regarding fighting with a staff. There is some reference to fighting with a staff as if fighting with a weapon in each hand. One player thought this meant that the character could fight with a staff in one hand, and a gun or sword in the other (ala Gandalf using a staff and a sword in combat in the LOTR movies). Perhaps I just never found the description of this particular rule anomaly described elsewhere, or we were just reading too much into it.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

User avatar
Dracyian
Unkbartig
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm
Location: Eastern Wisconsin

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Dracyian »

Also can you include Canes in the weapon run? You have a picture of an Arcanist using a cane and there is nothing in weapon run for it

User avatar
seskis281
Lore Drake
Posts: 1775
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Manitowoc WI
Contact:

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by seskis281 »

I've submitted an AA game for GaryCon in March - "Peril in the Big Easy".... :twisted:
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

User avatar
dunbruha
Ulthal
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Shenandoah Valley

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by dunbruha »

Dracyian wrote:an Arcanist using a cane
I see what you did there! :lol:

User avatar
Aladar
Lore Drake
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 am
Location: Elgin, OK

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Aladar »

I don't have my copy of AA in front of me right now, but one thing remember wanting to see was an expansion on fire arms/weapons and vehicles under equipment.

I really like this game by the way. Haven't had a chance to run it yet, but I love pulp, and this looks like a good system to run with it.
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

User avatar
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll
Posts: 789
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 7:00 am

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Jason Vey »

1. There will be more firearms and vehicles in the sourcebook, definitely.

2. A cane would be little more than a short staff.

3. Re: using a staff in one hand and a sword in the other...LOL. No. I think that's an anachronism that carried over from the SRD, wherein if you had two-weapon fighting you could treat a staff as two weapons, thus making two strikes with it. If you can find that reference let me know where it is and we may have to errata it. A staff is no different than any other melee weapon requiring two hands to use.

User avatar
Dracyian
Unkbartig
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm
Location: Eastern Wisconsin

Re: Awful quiet around here...

Post by Dracyian »

The Grey Elf wrote:1. There will be more firearms and vehicles in the sourcebook, definitely.

2. A cane would be little more than a short staff.

3. Re: using a staff in one hand and a sword in the other...LOL. No. I think that's an anachronism that carried over from the SRD, wherein if you had two-weapon fighting you could treat a staff as two weapons, thus making two strikes with it. If you can find that reference let me know where it is and we may have to errata it. A staff is no different than any other melee weapon requiring two hands to use.
What if you bastardize the staff, like the bastard sword has a higher base damage when used two handed vs one handed, why not lower the damage for using a staff one handed.

We ran the cane under the club category of weapon

Post Reply