The Darkness of the Heart-PbP- OOC Game thread

Join a game of C&C either through Play by Post, email or IRS Chat!
ShawnG

The Darkness of the Heart-PbP- OOC Game thread

Post by ShawnG »

Post out of character stuff here

Veritas

Post by Veritas »

Hey Shawn,

What do you think of giving dwarves an encumbrance rating bonus, as per my thread here?

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

And so it begins: I will need a rundown on party marching order, and general travel strategies. None of you have talked much, just a little pre-organization at the tavern last night, so take the opportunity to have some dialogue, and get to meet each other's characters We have everybody's stats up on the character thread except for BASH MAN, so if you could post that in soon, that will be great.

Veritas, sell me on it, why should I grant a bonus to ENC in excess of that provided by the racial strength modifier? It occurs to me that this is one of the areas I should have houseruled, but I'm open to realistic suggestions.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Speaking of house rules, what do you want to use?
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

BTW, BASHMAN works 60+ hour weeks and is under a deadline for Goodman Games. Plus I think he has a deadline for something he is doing for Savage Worlds kind of looming. That is voluntary work (I think), but I am sure he would like to get that turned in within the time frame he told them he would.

So what I am saying is that he probably has real life stuff slowing him down, much like I did earlier this week.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ShawnG wrote:
Veritas, sell me on it, why should I grant a bonus to ENC in excess of that provided by the racial strength modifier? It occurs to me that this is one of the areas I should have houseruled, but I'm open to realistic suggestions.

Hey Shawn. Since most CKs, from what I can gather after reading the many encumbrance threads here, either don't use the enc rules (me) or house rule them silly, what is your position on this?

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:
BTW, BASHMAN works 60+ hour weeks and is under a deadline for Goodman Games. Plus I think he has a deadline for something he is doing for Savage Worlds kind of looming. That is voluntary work (I think), but I am sure he would like to get that turned in within the time frame he told them he would.

So what I am saying is that he probably has real life stuff slowing him down, much like I did earlier this week.

Yikes, that's usually a bad sign for a PBP game. Hopefully, he can keep up!

Veritas

Post by Veritas »

ShawnG wrote:

There isn't a racial strength modifier for dwarves. It's Con for them (penalty to Cha)... unless I missed a rule or house rule having to do with that?

The way I've thought of it is very similar to how d20 thinks about it... that dwarves are a very hardy people when it comes to carrying burdens... it's rife throughout fantasy literature, right from Tolkien on up.

My method would be to give the dwarves double the bonus for having Con as a prime. Thus, not all dwarves have the bonus, only those that choose that specific prime.

Still, if there's some racial strength modifier I've missed, please point it out to me.

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

In the best political tradition, I'm just going to avoid the whole problem. I in large part agree with the Encumbrance rules mostly as written, but I feel that they are pretty clunky, and not something I really want to micromanage in this game, so Encumbrance will be handled in a "narrative" manner. Meaning, I'm not going to let you cart off smaug's hoard on your backs, and If you are hauling bulky treasure, I will establish penalties for things like jumping across chasms, or being attacked by surprise when you don't have time to cast off your packs etc... Basically keep it within bounds of reality and we won't have a problem.
and, treebore, I hope neither you or BASH MAN think that I am being critical, I have worked 70 hour weeks before, and I am certainly sympathetic to that sort of pressure. I was just trying to get the last few wrinkles ironed out, no problem! BASH MAN has been able to keep up with the discussion, as we were organizing the game, so I don't anticipate problems on that score.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I wasn't. It sounds to me like we are all experienced enough in life to know that "life happens" and not to hold that against anyone.

Besides, from here on out I should only need five minutes here and there to keep up with this. I don't need time to sit down, look things over, and then write out my character concept and beginning equipment any more. So the biggest time consumption is over, until my PC dies and I need to create a new one. Which hopefully won't happen very often.

Its my Monday/Thursday chat game that I keep missing. Like this past Thursday my daughter and I missed out on it because our wireless router crapped out and needed to be reconfigured, and we didn't figure that out until early yesterday.

Of course our CK missed Mondays session because Bellsouth kept dumping him, so my daughter and I didn't get to play that game at all this week.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

OK, game on. I'm glad to get started. This should be a blast and a half for sure. C&C in Gary's Yggsburgh! Yeah!!!

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Treebore wrote:

Well, the good news is that I had met that deadline months ago, and currently am not working on any projects for Goodman Games. Also, I never have done any works for Savage Worlds. I have my own game company, Basic Action Games, that produces a superheroes game and also a Fantasy and Sci-Fi version of the same. Currently I am working on the sci-fi version, hoping to finish by Christmas, though more likely by February.

I do have time to play!

Check us out for free demos and downloads or visit us onFacebook.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sorry, guess I mis-understood the abreviations and such on your thread on RPG.net. Did I at least remember the 60+hours/week of work? Plus I forgot to mention the wife and kid(s).

Do you have a website?

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Treebore wrote:
Sorry, guess I mis-understood the abreviations and such on your thread on RPG.net. Did I at least remember the 60+hours/week of work? Plus I forgot to mention the wife and kid(s).

Do you have a website?

Yes. www.bashrpg.com

I don't however have kids (I have a wife). Perhaps you are getting me mixed up with someone else? Gutboybarrelhouse runs the BASH! forums at the Grognard's tavern. Maybe you are thinking of him?

BASH MAN

Post by BASH MAN »

Treebore wrote:

Do you have a website?

Yes. www.bashrpg.com

I don't however have kids (I have a wife). Perhaps you are getting me mixed up with someone else? Gutboybarrelhouse runs the BASH! forums at the Grognard's tavern. Maybe you are thinking of him?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yep, I was confusing you with Grubman on RPGNet. See the similiarities? Grubman=Bash Man.

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

BASHMAN, you have a PM on the results of your tracking, and listening checks.

Do you all have an idea of your marching order? I.E. who's on point, and how fast you are travelling, and any special actions you are routinely undertaking as you travel?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, our ranger is definitely in the lead. I like putting the wizard in the middle somewhere. I like clerics, like me to be second in line, or bringing up the rear, if someone better for those locations isn't available, such as an archer type to cover the lead person, or someone who would be better than the cleric at catching someone coming up from behind by sneaking or flanking.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK, looking at our cast of characters, this is what I suggest. Olladahn up front, followed by Kelvan, then Varnick, then me, with Ysberyl taking up the rear.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Good by me.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'm on the road today, so if others actually start posting today I probably won't be able to.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My wife had the dates wrong, I'll be on the road tomorrow. I'm glad I made her check/verify, if I drove for 4 hours to get somewhere on the wrong day I would have been a very upset individual.

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

I had a busy day yesterday, and was unable to post the continuation. It will be up shortly!

On another note, I am currently starting a WFRP2 PbP game as a player at a private site. We are looking for one more player, so if any of you are into the Warhammer madness, PM me for the site!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ShawnG wrote:
I had a busy day yesterday, and was unable to post the continuation. It will be up shortly!

On another note, I am currently starting a WFRP2 PbP game as a player at a private site. We are looking for one more player, so if any of you are into the Warhammer madness, PM me for the site!

Very tempting, I just can't swing it at the moment. Played in a WHFRP PBP last year and it was fantastic. The Enemy Within. I've been holding off on buying the books and adventure, hoping the DM will start the next module, but it probably won't happen.

Enjoy your game!

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Quote:
The Enemy Within. I've been holding off on buying the books and adventure, hoping the DM will start the next module, but it probably won't happen.

I've been holding off on buying the adventures because I can't seem to find them for less than 100 bucks each! I used to own them too... Best. Modules. Ever!

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Rhuvein PM

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ShawnG wrote:
Rhuvein PM

Thanks. Received and returned.

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

Back in business, Ysberyl needs to make a decision and post (actually he already has, we just need a result), and we should be swinging back into action this evening!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

ShawnG wrote:
Back in business, Ysberyl needs to make a decision and post (actually he already has, we just need a result), and we should be swinging back into action this evening!

Thanks for your reply. Posting shortly!

ShawnG

Post by ShawnG »

the tactical situation:

There appear to be four orcs (if the creature that Ysberyl shot is indeed an orc) and one "other" creature. Two of the orcs emerged from either side of the trail, and are advancing on Kelvan. Olidahn is near the shot orc, and the orc that is taking aim at Ysberyl. Varnick and Rolin have been enveloped by magical darkness and cannot see. the unnamed horror is advancing on them. Ysberyl is in the rear, and can see the orc aiming at him, and the new terror.

I will keep the combat, initiative and saving rolls that were submitted previously, but obviously you will want to change your tactics to the new situation! those that did not submit the combat initiative and saving rolls will need to do so.