Swords & Wizardry Complete (Earl Otus Cover) Free

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Swords & Wizardry Complete (Earl Otus Cover) Free

Post by TheMetal1 »

Very cool news for you S&W Fans out there. Looks like S&W Complete with the Earl Otus Cover is free from now on.

Mythmere's Blog wrote:Because the Frog God Games Sword of Air Kickstarter has hit 401 backers, the Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook is now FREE. That doesn’t mean we’re releasing a crippled or art-free version, it means the full-artwork, Erol Otus on the cover, no-text-left-out, existing was-for-sale-yesterday version of the book is now a free pdf! Note: Until we change the price on the Frog God Website, you’ll have to have a buddy send it to you — but we hope to have that change made ASAP.

A couple of caveats; please don’t make changes to it and then send it out, because then no one will be sure if they’ve got the official copy. Also, we will probably be correcting the links in the pdf, because we just recently changed the location of the Frog God Games website. Finally, although we’re giving the pdf away for free, that doesn’t mean that the art can be stripped and used. We still hold the copyright, we just give away the copies for free. That said, ENJOY!!!

PS more news is probably coming out later today.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Re: Swords & Wizardry Complete (Earl Otus Cover) Free

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Damn. I already bought it.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

PeelSeel2 wrote:Damn. I already bought it.
Me too, and I have 2 hardcovers (original and new Erol Otus). But, this is still a boon to the OSR.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I distributed it to a couple of my fellow gamers last night. Hopefully they will read through it and the stripped down simplicity will appeal to them...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

So this is worth getting?
Does anyone play S&W? why S&W over C&C?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I enjoy the C&C game much more than S&W. C&C has just the right amount of crunch (very little), but without being bare bones like S&W can sometimes be. I love the attribute save system (using all 6 attributes) rather than just a single number like in S&W.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

NJPDX
Hlobane Orc

Post by NJPDX »

Relaxo wrote:So this is worth getting?
I see the appeal of both.

I think C&C is an easier sell for people who got into gaming during D&D 3.x and like more moving parts, or those who really liked AD&D over B/X or Basic D&D (although the distinction is greater with S&W Core vs. Complete which has a very AD&D feel to its classes). S&W is nice if you like to house-rule a lot of stuff and the fact that's it's a single rulebook system instead of multi-volume like C&C makes it cheaper to get into. Also, no offense to the trolls, but S&W's prose is a lot clearer and there are far fewer grammatical errors.

Eisenmann
Ulthal

Post by Eisenmann »

This is awesome.

I play both S&W and C&C. Heck, sometimes both at the same time. :lol:

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Link?

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

C&C is my go to game. I have, however, enjoyed the S&W stuff and would someday like to play it or GM it. I got in on the Brave Halfling S&W White Box, have the PDF and print of both covers of the Complete rules. Part of me would like to run Rappan Athuk, and my Players may choose to go there in our C&C game, but I'm reticent to offer that as a link, as someday I'd like to run it simplys using S&W Complete or White Box. Really no other reason than to just try out the rules.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

dunbruha wrote:
Omote wrote:Link?

~O
http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2013/11/sw ... e-now.html
Vielen Dank!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I run or get to play it as a nice simple alternative to C&C. Plus the materials are easy as pie to use with C&C if/when so desired, so I buy a lot of S&W modules from Frog God Games. Rather than the Pathfinder versions.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I played S&W with Bill Webb at GenCon, and he has some nice little house rules he adds into the game. Does anybody know of a document that details his house rules?

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:I played S&W with Bill Webb at GenCon, and he has some nice little house rules he adds into the game. Does anybody know of a document that details his house rules?

~O
I don't recall seeing/hearing about one. Maybe its what he is going to be putting in that "Book of Dirty Secrets"?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That's a good thought Treeb. I decided to ask over at the FGG boards, as to do so just made more sense than posting here.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Skeeter confirms its all in his head.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm a bigger fan of S&W Whitebox than Complete. Complete has a lot of the crap from 1E I loathed, mostly limitations on what PCs can be or do (e.g., level limits). Once you get to the crunch level of S&W Complete, I think C&C is a better option. For truly stripped down D&D goodness, Whitebox is awesome. As Treebore noted, the great thing about all of the OSR stuff is that it is generally cross-compatible, so a S&W module is easily used in a C&C game.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.