What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by TheMetal1 »

Tree, enjoyed the 2E reprints as well. Wished they had the original covers, but glad to see WOTC went ahead and released it. You'll like the Hackmaster Book, well done, but I'm still partial to 4e for the silliness.

Question for all you out there. I saw on Steam yesterday that Shadow Run Returns is out and available to play. Looks like it came out in July, but I missed it. Graphics seem very much like the Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale or Planescape. Reviews say its good - have any of you played it yet?

Here is the link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/23465 ... 1_7_15__13
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have it, but have yet to play it. One of the guys I game with said its "VERY" worth playing.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

An opinion piece I have posted to G+ and FB as well as here:

One thing that I have always greatly enjoyed about adventure modules from Kenzer and Co. is how much depth they have. So I often buy their modules even when I don't run their system. Such is the case with "Wrath of the Vohven" which is written for Hackmaster Basic.

It does not disappoint me. It is a module set on a jungle island setting. While the names are strange, Svimohzia, Izhoven, Zazahnii, Ahznoms, and so on, it evokes a feel of South America combined with ancient African jungle peoples.

The island is large, often reading like a small continent to me. It is home to many peoples from many historical backgrounds and interbreeding with outsiders from many parts of the world, including Kalamar. So while many are black skinned, you will see blue, green and grey eyes among them, as well as skin that isn't quit so black as everyone else's. This island is home to many secrets and even ancient civilizations that have fallen, or are long past their prime. Which is why I say this reads more to me like a continent than a true island. The people exist in a wide range of social and technological development, from barely clothed Jungle people living in mud huts to tall well built buildings of great design and artistic decoration in large cities.

The "depth" that has always made Kenzer modules of interest to me is here as well. A variety of NPC's with a variety of motivations, and often not just one per NPC either. Many are more complex than that, with 2 or more plans in motion, as well as not being what they seem when met, while others are. The module also provides a lot of flavor by going into some of their customs, including social rules, eating, dress, religious and the general views towards others. None of which is in any great depth, but just enough to get a GM started, and to keep going with their own ideas. So the setting presented is full of a wide variety of peoples, which may have much in common, but neither are they all the same, so when used, players will have to be on their toes wherever they go.

So while it isn't for a system I run or play, this module gives me plenty of what I look for, so am once again glad I bought a Kenzer module.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Volomyre
Ungern

Post by Volomyre »

Rigon wrote:I've been in and out of StarSIEGE for the past couple of weeks. I'm thinking of using it for a fantasy setting, not scifi. I think I can get it to do almost exactly what I want to do with mechanics that I'm already familiar with.

R-
I think you can get that system to do anything you want.
It might take a bit of creativity on your part but it can be done.
Star Siege is a great system.
The only thing that system is missing is common items. Stuff not covered by the trapping system. Other than that you are good to go.
Volo.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I started reading Advanced Gamemaster's Guide from d20 by KC Stephens. There is actually a lot of useful information in here

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The new Shadowrun 5E book arrived today. Production quality looks great, now I just need to find time to read the rules.

NJPDX
Hlobane Orc

Post by NJPDX »

Just picked up Frog God Games's Stoneheart Valley and Rappan Athuk ... great stuff. Tons and tons of ideas to be pillaged there.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Picked up Fiasco. Seems like a interesting game. From what I can see it'd be a good game for when someone(s) can't make the regular game but the group wants to play, instead of picking up a board game you could just play Fiasco in the same amount of time and still have a very fun rpg night.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

NJPDX wrote:Just picked up Frog God Games's Stoneheart Valley and Rappan Athuk ... great stuff. Tons and tons of ideas to be pillaged there.
I've already ran two C&C sessions of Stoneheart Valley on line. I also ran them when they came out for 3E. Over 12 years ago for Crucible of Freya.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Sir Ironside wrote:Picked up Fiasco. Seems like a interesting game. From what I can see it'd be a good game for when someone(s) can't make the regular game but the group wants to play, instead of picking up a board game you could just play Fiasco in the same amount of time and still have a very fun rpg night.
That's a GM-less game, right? I could definitely use one of those on occasion.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

kreider204 wrote:
Sir Ironside wrote:Picked up Fiasco. Seems like a interesting game. From what I can see it'd be a good game for when someone(s) can't make the regular game but the group wants to play, instead of picking up a board game you could just play Fiasco in the same amount of time and still have a very fun rpg night.
That's a GM-less game, right? I could definitely use one of those on occasion.
Yep. What makes it over into the- play instead of a board game- place is that it is GMless, no prep time (I'd get everyone to read the playset so I guess that is a little bit of prep), rules are easy to teach on the fly and plays around 3 hours.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Cool, I need to check that out.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

kreider204 wrote:Cool, I need to check that out.
I should note that it does need 4d6's (Two each of a different colour) per player.

You'll also find many free playsets of all different kinds and genre's.

Wil Weaton does a better job explaining it.

Table Top: Fiasco

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rigon wrote:I've been in and out of StarSIEGE for the past couple of weeks. I'm thinking of using it for a fantasy setting, not scifi. I think I can get it to do almost exactly what I want to do with mechanics that I'm already familiar with.

R-
Still burning in mhy brain pan.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

S.Baldrick
Ungern

Post by S.Baldrick »

Numenera Core Book. Trying to learn the system.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I just downloaded the Adventures Dark and Deep Bestiary and am gonna take a look through it. 900 or so monsters. Plus Joe's ADD stuff is well put together.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I've been trying to round out my Harn collection, and those efforts are going quite nicely. So, I've been reading a couple issues of the Encyclopedia Harnica as well as the Rethem module. I've also been hitting various spots of the CKG, too, looking at things that pique my interest.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I have barely started skimming the Doctor Who 2nd Doctor Sourcebook. Cubicle 7 has been doing amazing things with DW. Also peeked at the rules for the 2nd expansion (Exodus) to the Battlestar board game.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

HEX: Secrets of the Surface World

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rigon wrote:I just downloaded the Adventures Dark and Deep Bestiary and am gonna take a look through it. 900 or so monsters. Plus Joe's ADD stuff is well put together.

R-
I did a quick scan/micro read through. This book is killer. It definitely makes me wish that this was the direction AD&D would have taken when it went to 2nd edition. If you haven't given ADD a look over, you should.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Just picked up The One Ring box set over wilderness's edge and have started reading through that. It is deinitely different and a unique way to handle rolls and checks.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Bluffside arrived, so I'll be giving it a good read when I have time.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

HEX: Mysteries of the Hollow Earth.

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

Legacy of the Crystal Shard. The LGS where I'm running the Wednesday night D&D Encounters provided it free of charge. It's a pretty good adventure and the source book it comes with fleshes out the Ten Towns area of Icewind Dale rather nicely.
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

DeadReborn wrote:Legacy of the Crystal Shard. The LGS where I'm running the Wednesday night D&D Encounters provided it free of charge. It's a pretty good adventure and the source book it comes with fleshes out the Ten Towns area of Icewind Dale rather nicely.
That sounds like a good read, I do enjoy the Realms, pre spell plague

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

My Whisper and Venom boxed set arrived today, and so far I am very pleased.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nog ... t-with-28m

Edit: I always wanted the super large map, but couldn't justify the extra money at the time, or even until after Christmas. So I sent him a message, asking if he had spares, and he does, and has set one aside for me to get after the new year. All that changes is I have to pay for shipping now, which is fine and expected.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Picked up some stuff during the Golem Sale at Paizo

Into the Darklands
The Great Beyond
Second Darkness Adventure Path, players guide, map and gear cards
Serpent's Skull Adventure Path
Legacy of Fire Adventure Path, players guide, map and gear cards
Some flip maps and map packs,
Chase Cards
Plot Twist Cards
some adventures

Nearly done with the read through on Second Darkness and looking through Rappan Athuk
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Got a physical copy of BareBones Fantasy RPG from the missuz as a Xmas gift, looking through it in some detail tonight.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Stepson wrote me a basic d&d module... sweet!
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Bluffside, Free City of Eskadia, Fields of Battle, Arms & Armor, and Codex Celtarum.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.