Amazing Adventures Errata and Clarifications

Discussion of the pulp roleplaying system, including hard-boiled detectives, fedora-wearing action heroes, and steampunk gadgeteers rocketing to battle.
Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Amazing Adventures Errata and Clarifications

Post by Jason Vey »

------------------------------------------

Downloadable Character Sheet (note this is my homebrew one, not the one in the book).

Form Fillable Character Sheet
-------------------------------------
Amazing Adventures Second Printing

As with the other Errata, I'll be collecting these as I go and eventually will release a document.

Core Rulebook
P. 34, Gumshoe Cat and Mouse: More of a clarification than an errata, here. The Cat and Mouse ability is presented on its face like urban tracking. It is meant to be that, and so much more. It is the catch-all ability of the gumshoe to perform investigative duties. It includes such things as questioning contacts, Interrogating suspects, tossing crime scenes (or bodies) for clues, and intuiting how to put together puzzle pieces. In general, whenever a Gumshoe needs to do something investigative, this ability attaches. No other classes should add their level to checks of this nature if a Gumshoe is present, unless those classes also would have a beneficial ability. Hooligans, for example, might be able to add their level to certain crime-scene-related checks. It is left to the GM's discretion which character classes can add level in a given situation.

P. 50, Quick Drawback: It has been pointed out that the diminishing returns on hit points far outweighs the benefits. Thus, the entirety of the drawback should now read: -2 hit points at level one (minimum of 1 hp).

P. 51, Mighty Blow: "However, the character must then make an unmodified d20 roll; a result of 1-9 on the d20 means that the weapon shatters as a result of the mighty blow (firearms are ruined from blowback). This ability is useful only in melee combat..." Remove, "(firearms are ruined from blowback)." The point of a mighty blow is that you're putting all your strength behind a potentially weapon-shattering strike--there's nothing about a gun that would cause it to do more damage with the risk of blowback (except potentially overcharging the powder in a bullet cartridge, but that can't be done on the spot in combat).

P. 52-55, Header: The header on these pages reads: Book Two, Advanced Action Heroes, when in fact Book Two doesn't start till page 57.

P. 53, Three-Piece Suit: Should give an AC bonus of +3 rather than +1. In general, if a costume piece is a primary article of clothing, a complete outfit, it should give +2 or +3 to AC.

P. 54, Archaic Weapons table: I neglected to include modern bows in the table. Composite "traditional" bows using modern materials and construction methods do 1d8 damage with a range increment of 60ft, and modern compound bows do 1d10 damage with a range increment of 100ft.

This is due to modern technology and materials; fiberglass and "flexsteel" limbs as well as compound pulley and fulcrum technology enable much more power to be delivered on a straighter trajectory for those trained in the bow's use. While it's unlikely that these materials were used in bows before the 1950s, both flexsteel and fiberglass were around during the pulp era and given the gadgeteer/super-science tenor of these tales, it's not outside the ream of believability that your archers could have such weapons. Many archery enthusiasts, however, still use true traditional bows fashioned from wood staves using ancient methods. Such bows would be treated exactly as archaic weapons already listed.

P. 55, weapons table: Typo--"reciever" should read "receiver".

P. 83, Empathic Transmission: "The opponent resists with a Wisdom check" should be changed to, "The base CL of this check is equal to the opponent's level or hit dice, plus the difficulty of the emotion being evoked."

P. 84, Mental Stun: "requires the opponent to make a Wisdom-based save (CL 1)." Delete "(CL 1)"

P. 84, Mesmerism: Change, "The difficulty for the victim to resist this effect is equial to the result of the psychic's Wisdom check," to, "The victim is entitled to a Charisma save to resist this effect,"

P. 84, Obfuscation: Change, "this check is opposed by the Wisdom check of any who might see the psychic," to, "The CL for this check is equal to the level or hit dice of any who might see the psychic."

P. 88, Spellcraft Check: "The result of the Spellcraft check, minus the Challenge Base, is also the CC of any saving throws allowed by the spell." This is a typo. "CC" should read "CL." The example following the text is correct.

P. 181, Vehicle Combat: Initiative is just a d10, not d10 plus Dex bonus.

P. 183, Gaining Levels: The last paragraph, regarding training, reflects an optional rule. The default game doesn't assume weeks of training to level a character. To require training every time a level is gained would not be very "pulp"...unless, of course, it's dramatically appropriate to the story at hand to have the Mentalist (or another character) go to visit their Ancient Master in the mountains of Tibet...

P. 232, "The Heart of Yhtill": Act One, toward the end of the third paragraph, it reads, "Amanda insists that she has no idea why anyone would want to kill her husband..." It should read, "would want to kill her brother..."

CLARIFICATION ON HURLED EXPLOSIVES AND GRENADE-LIKE WEAPONS: A fan pointed out to me that rules for thrown explosives like grenades aren't in the game. They ARE, sort of, but you kind of have to interpret a few different rules to put together how they work. In the interest of clarity, here's how throwing a grenade, stick of dynamite, Molotov cocktail, or other hurled explosive works:

Make a basic ranged attack as a thrown weapon, targeting a spot rather than a person. Range increments are 10 feet, plus 5 feet per point of strength modifier, and the AC to hit is 15.

If your attack succeeds the grenade lands where you want it to go. If you miss, roll a d8 and a d4 for the misfire. The d8 represents the direction of the miss, with the 1 being short of your target and the 5 being an overthrow, moving clockwise from the 1 for direction. The d4 represents increments of five feet. Thus, if you roll a 1 on the d8 and a 2 on the d4, the grenade lands 10 feet closer to you than the target. If you were to roll a 2 on the d8, the grenade would be 10 feet off from center towards you and to the left. Yes, it's possible to drop the grenade behind you this way.

Damage is 6d6 to a 10 foot radius, ignoring armor. Dex save for half.

CLARIFICATION ON ADDING CHARACTER LEVEL TO CHECKS: There will be times when a player wants their character to do something that intrudes upon the abilities of another character class--an Arcanist trying to move silently, or a Socialite trying to tail a mark through a city, for example. In such situations it is up to the GM to determine if such an act is even possible--does the Socialite have the skill and training to even try to track down a fugitive in a crowded city? Usually, when attempting a non-class ability, the attempt should simply fail as the character doesn't have the education, training and skill to make it happen.

In some cases, however, a chance at success is warranted (anyone, for example, can try to sneak up on someone). In such cases, a SIEGE check is made as normal, but with one significant change: the character does not add their level to the attribute check. Also remember that every character class allows its members to do things at an extraordinary level. A Hooligan can move absolutely silently, even in difficult circumstances where others would have no prayer of it, or could only move at a relative level of quietness. This would be a good situation wherein if the Hooligan was attempting to sneak up on a guard, the CL would involve just the guard's level or hit dice, whereas if a Socialite were attempting the same, the guard might also add their Wisdom bonus to the CL as discussed on pages 143-144.

Rise of the Red God
The map of the Temple of the Red God was inadvertently replaced with a blowup of the Voodoo temple from part 2. Here is a low-res image file (smaller file size) of the correct map for the temple of the red god.

Here is a high res PDF scan of the map.

Amazing Adventures Companion
Wealth Ratings: The starting wealth ratings for the character classes were inadvertently left out of the manuscript. They should be as follows:
  • Acrobat 0
  • Archer +1
  • Duelist +1
  • Feral -3
  • Gunslinger +1
  • Pirate 0
  • Soldier +1
P. 26, Archer Abilities: There are several references to "dual shot" under Eagle Eye and Unstable Shooting. These should actually be references to Rapid Shot.

In addition, swap Blinding Speed and Rapid Shot: Blinding Speed should be a third level ability, and Rapid Shot should be gained at second level, with additional shots coming at sixth and twelfth level.

Finally, Master Archer should read as follows: "Master Archer: Archers gain +1 to hit with any sling, bow or crossbow. In addition, they increase the die type of any sling or bow they use by one level, to a maximum of d12. Thus, instead of doing 1d6 with a short bow the Master Archer does 1d8. At seventh level, this bonus increases to +2 to hit and damage. "

P. 81, 2nd line: "fighting eefensively," should obviously be "fighting defensively."

P. 81, 3rd Paragraph: delete, "It is integral to the martial arts system, and". (The martial arts system was not finished and tested in time to include it)

P. 81, Fate Points and Initiative: Clarification: if players spend a fate point on initiative, that counts for their "fortune's favor" fate point expenditure for that round.

P. 81, Aiding Others - Ganging Up:
If I remember correctly, this section was a last minute addition. I personally apologize for the typos herein.
  • "When multiple attackers gang up on a single foe, this is called, 'ganging up.'" Well, duh. Awkward wording, much? It should read, "When multiple attackers team together to take on a single foe, this is called 'ganging up.'"
  • "The process, however, works differently than that outlines on page 143 of the <I>Amazing Adventures<I> core rulebook." 2 errors here. "Outlines" should be "outlined," and the <I> tags surrounding "Amazing Adventures" were formatting codes which weren't removed.
  • Clarification: The +7 maximum "gang up" bonus assumes the opponent can be surrounded if the foe has cover or has their back against the wall, the maximum bonus will be adjusted accordingly. If, for example, the opponent backs against a wall, that's three fewer foes that can surround him, for a maximum bonus of +4.
  • Last sentence: "...must, for example, be able to get at his targets back." Ugh. "Target's back."
P. 83, The Character Card:
  • Wherever it says a line "should" include information, change to "could." These are suggestions, not hard rules, as the example character card clearly shows (it doesn't follow all of the suggestions.)
  • "Here's an example of a completed card for Tennessee O'Malley:" should read, "Here's an example of a completed card for Tennessee O'Malley, which manages to fit all of his relevant information on one side of an index card:
P. 83, Spellbooks and Power Sets: Second paragraph: "For mentalist characters especially," should read, "For arcanist and occultist characters especially".

P. 83-84, Siege Checks: Using the Tarot Deck Clarification: I neglected to clarify the use of cards for fortune's favor fate point use. There are two options for this. The first is to simply use the average value of the die roll--thus, 3 for character levels 1-4, 4 cor character levels 5-9, 5 for character levels 10-14, and 6 for character levels 15 and up.

If you prefer to keep fortune's favor random, a draw from a fate deck will need to occur. For characters of levels 1-4 the Nova Deck ("Exploding and imploding results" sidebar) can serve a dual purpose for fortune's favor fate points, as it is already designed to give a 1-6 spread. For characters of higher levels, a separate Fate Deck will need to be in play. To do this, use only 2 suits of cards in your nova deck. The other two suits will be used to form your fate deck. Use Ace through eight for character levels 5-9, Ace through ten for character levels 10-14, and Ace-Knight (1-10 plus Page and Knight) for character levels 15 and above. The Page has a value of 11 and the Knight, 12.

P. 93, Avoiding Obstructions: "There are Three core factors in determining the CL...." "three," should be, "five."

Amazing Adventures Manual of Monsters
None as yet

Day of the Worm Adventure Module
It seems a number of formatting errors creeped into this during layout.

P. 3 second paragraph of Act One: "...they are a loosely-connectedloosely connected network..." Should be "a loosely-connected network."

P 5 map does not match the description on page 8. Instead use This reference or this incredible map donated by our user "mmbutter."

P. 6 paragraph 5 of Down The Rabbit Hole: "...side (Amazing Adventures, p.[?])..." The NEW page reference would be "Amazing Adventures Manual of Monsters, p. 11."

P. 6 paragraph 11 of Down The Rabbit Hole: "...If the group askgroup asks..." should be "if the group asks," and then "...machine might lielay..." should be "machine might lay."

P. 7 paragraph 6 of Off To Egypt!: "...in the form of communiquescommuniques..." Delete the second "communiques."

P. 8 paragraph 1 of The Valley Of Kings: "...wrong place. The stehlessteles ...." Should be "...wrong place. The stehles..."

P. 9 second item in list on left: "...(Sthough see the passage..." should be "though see the passage"

P. 10 second paragraph of The Burial Chamber: "...remain pristenepristine..." should be "pristine"

P. 11 second paragraph of Running The Battle: starts out with "AsSo long..." Should be "So long..."

---------------------------------------

Complete Final Errata for Amazing Adventures First Printing (PDF Download)

Here is a download link to the final, complete errata for the first printing of Amazing Adventures, including the dark cover Gen Con 2012 special pre-release and all PDFs of Amazing Adventures. While most of the errata in this PDF has been applied to the softcover print version with the yellow cover, there were some omissions. I hope to have a new file in the future specifically for the final first print edition (yellow cover), but for now, all the errata is here.

Final Amazing Adventures First Print Errata

------------------------------------
Attachments
Tomb Map for Day of the Worm
Tomb Map for Day of the Worm
tomb.jpg (970.6 KiB) Viewed 35887 times

kreider204
Unkbartig

Re: Amazing Adventures Errata

Post by kreider204 »

Groovy, thanks. Any plans to correct these in the PDF?

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Dunno, that's up to the Trolls!

If anyone notices anything they think might be an errata, feel free to post. If it is, I'll edit it into the first post of this thread. I also plan to make a PDF of the errata available once we're fairly certain the list is comprehensive.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Good point. Let's bug them about it. :)

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

I'm just bumping this to the top. It'd be nice if we could somehow get a sticky on this?

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

The Grey Elf wrote:I'm just bumping this to the top. It'd be nice if we could somehow get a sticky on this?
Agreed. I'm sure if you PM a moderator, they could do it.

mbeacom
Ulthal

Re: Amazing Adventures Errata and Clarifications

Post by mbeacom »

PAGE 15:
Primary and Secondary Attributes
There are two types of attributes in Amazing Adventures:
primary and secondary. Primary attributes are those
physical or mental abilities in which a character is particularly
well trained or very experienced in using. Secondary
attributes are those the character uses with only
average skill. A player selects the character’s primary attributes
after choosing a class and race.

I've not finished reading the book yet. Can you choose various playable races or is this a remnant of the C&C port over?
Sorry if this is a repeat. I just got the PDF and noticed this while reading through it.

I'm loving it so far btw!
Witty Quote Pending
-Someone

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Good catch. Race is a holdover from C&C

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Page 142-143 Exploding and Imploding Dice. Is the math correct in the example? total of 30 (20+6+4). then adds his Prime bonus for his Strength +5, his strength bonus (+3) and his level (+3) for a whopping total result of 39! He would articulate this as "39, with Exploding 28."

Shouldn't this be a total result of 41, with Exploding 30?

Or am I missing something?

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Nope, you're right. Sigh. Sometimes I make mistakes doing arithmetic with a calculator.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Okay, folks, the Errata should now be complete! And as I understand it, the final release versions that are going into distributions will feature not only new covers, but will have all errata incorporated into the text!

Also, just as a side note and to keep it here at the top, I've included a link to my downloadable character sheet at the top of the thread as well.

I am thinking that in future printings (assuming we get to a second print, which I dearly hope we do) I may talk to them about moving Reputation to Book Two. I think that should be an advanced character option along with things like Sanity and Backgrounds, not a hard and fast rule.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The included character sheet should probably be replaced with your homebrew one in the future; the existing one has "spells per day" which is confusing when the rules are manna based.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I'm sure this was answered somewhere and I apologize... these errata were corrected before the hardcopies were printed?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Relaxo wrote:I'm sure this was answered somewhere and I apologize... these errata were corrected before the hardcopies were printed?
Just got my printed copy. I checked about five of the above errata and they are all corrected.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

SWEET!

The book looks gorgeous, if I didn't make that clear! That cover is, well, Amazing. I do like the previous cover though, any plans to use it somewhere else? maybe for an adventure module?
Bill D.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Aergraith wrote:The included character sheet should probably be replaced with your homebrew one in the future; the existing one has "spells per day" which is confusing when the rules are manna based.
I submitted my homebrew one for inclusion; Pete decided to go with his design.

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

New errata posted for the final release version. See the first post in the thread.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Finally managed to grab a print copy and love the game....but I've already got to thinking how good it would be for a cowboy style game and realised that, despite the great rules for riding animals, there are no stats for horses in the game (that I can find). I know that I can use C&C rules, but I was wondering if there is any chance for some various horse breed stats in some future supplement?
Great game BTW :D

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Grey: Consider it done. If there's no stats for horses in the bestiary that was a major oversight on my part and one that will be rectified in the future.

Grey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Grey »

Cool, thanks...looking forward to see what else is coming!

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I would still love to see updates PDFs (through drivethrurpg, etc.). Who do I have to bribe?

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

I just sent Steve a comprehensive list of errata on Thursday, and let him know that it seems none of the updates from the print version appear in the PDF. Hopefully we can get that rectified soon. Sorry about that! Neither Steve nor I are sure how that happened.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Thanks!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

The Grey Elf wrote:Just added a new errata.
Shouldn't you be removing errata?
:D
(ducks for cover)
Bill D.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

The Grey Elf wrote:I just sent Steve a comprehensive list of errata on Thursday, and let him know that it seems none of the updates from the print version appear in the PDF. Hopefully we can get that rectified soon. Sorry about that! Neither Steve nor I are sure how that happened.
So, nothing on this front, eh?

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

kreider204 wrote:
The Grey Elf wrote:I just sent Steve a comprehensive list of errata on Thursday, and let him know that it seems none of the updates from the print version appear in the PDF. Hopefully we can get that rectified soon. Sorry about that! Neither Steve nor I are sure how that happened.
So, nothing on this front, eh?
I'll tap him again to remind him. Also, I'll PDF the list of errata and put it up for download. On the up side, none of the errata are game-breaking. Mostly typos and leftover parenthetical cross-references.

We're moving towards a second printing (yes, really!) and it may be he's just holding off to incorporate the errata in there...

Jason Vey
Grey Elf Troll

Post by Jason Vey »

Updated thread with final errata for the Gen Con 2012 pre-release version, all PDF versions, and final first print softcover. See PDF download link.