Gen Con 2013

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Omote
Battle Stag

Re: Gen Con 2013

Post by Omote »

I'll be there Wednesday afternoon sometime. GenCon registration and event tix pickup starts at 12:00pm on Wednesday this year again. I'm pretty sure I have some sort of dinner plans that evening, I think at Saint Elmos or Webber Grille. However, other than that, I am open for bidniss.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It's crazy this year now that I look at my GenCon schedule! I have to micro-plan all of my days now in order to fit all of the cool stuff I want to do. I did leave Friday August 16th from 9pm-??? totally open for any open gaming, Society Ka-Doosh, SnoringRock Spectacular, etc. open. Hell, at some point there is going to have to be some good ole' fashioned drinkin'. Where will I find the time?!

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Damn, I truly wish I could come to GenCon again :(
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

GenCon will be in Indy for the next 5 or 6 years according to the recent news. There will be next year Ses.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

quithanire2
Mist Elf

Post by quithanire2 »

Arg...it doesn't look like I'll be able to make to Gencon after all. My son starts grad-school in the August and has to move to Dayton/Cincinati area. Maybe next year. Planning on going to Garycon again though.
Formerly "quithanire"

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Sorry, all... child and work has made getting on here a little difficult, so I am not able to keep up the way I had been earlier even in the year.

I know I have signed up to run three scenarios, and so far as I know they are all TLG-based. I need to check in and see if any more information on these is available, as I'd kinda like to read through a scenario before I run it. But I am definitely hoping to look around and see if I can play a game or two of C&C, myself, and break my run of Gen Cons where I don't get to play my favorite game. :D

I'll keep you all up to date!
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I'll be in town wednesday, but now that my brother's work is sending him to Detroit until Thursday night, it mucks up our usual tradition of gaming at his house on Wed. night.

O, are you guys playing at Brian's Wednesday night? If you are running a LL game over there again I would like to invite myself over! :D

Anyway, I wish old buds like Ses and Frost could be there, but eventually when the stars align we will all be back in action causing mayhem once again. Everyone knows one of my fave things to do is set up a CnC game on the fly in Restricted Zones!

So this year I have my college bound son and his buddy in tow this year (probably as a designated drivers, heh heh), but I am willing to throw down a game or two, or have us all jump in for someone elses game. Oh, and drinking at the pub...I am open for that too.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Piperdog wrote:O, are you guys playing at Brian's Wednesday night? If you are running a LL game over there again I would like to invite myself over! :D

Anyway, I wish old buds like Ses and Frost could be there, but eventually when the stars align we will all be back in action causing mayhem once again. Everyone knows one of my fave things to do is set up a CnC game on the fly in Restricted Zones!

So this year I have my college bound son and his buddy in tow this year (probably as a designated drivers, heh heh), but I am willing to throw down a game or two, or have us all jump in for someone elses game. Oh, and drinking at the pub...I am open for that too.
Pipe, I do not have any plans on playing at Brian's house this year. Last I heard, I think, Brian wasn't in for doing any GenCon this year. I haven't talked to him in a couple of months actually. I've got to give him a call. The way it's looking is that I probably wouldn't be able to get out to his place anyway. I know a couple of friends are coming in from Texas to GC this year on Wednesday, and I think that will be the night to go out, pub-crawl, dinner, goof-off, etc. before the main event.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

So finalllllly my events show up for registration at Gencon, after being reviewed for over a month....I had to call them and ask why the heck they were not showing up. So its not much, but I am running two games on Friday morning, my son is running one (he is 18 and headed off to college in the fall, and is excited about runnning his first Gencon game), and my brother is running one (his is full already). But my games JUST showed up today, so if anyone wants some C&C fun, the seats are available!

And for anyone here that wants to just throw an off the grid game down, or maybe just grab a beer and nachos (lookin at you O!), let me know.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm in for beer and nachos. BELEE DAT! I left time open for off-grid gaming on Friday night.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Oh good heavens....GenCon next week. My wife thinks I am strange the car is packed and gassed up and I just stair longingly out the window....

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Snoring Rock wrote:Oh good heavens....GenCon next week. My wife thinks I am strange the car is packed and gassed up and I just stair longingly out the window....
If it's the car window you're looking out, that might explain her thinking. ;)
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to Gen Con this year. At first, it was a $3000 AC job for the family minivan. We've recovered from that, but that's also the same weekend as my oldest child's (he's 11) orientation and first day of middle school. That's something I don't want to miss, though my wife is quite capable. :)

So, sadly, I got a refund for my badge and my friend got a buddy of his to go, which refunded me much of my room back. My flight cannot be canceled, so I'm out of that, but it is what it is. My buddy has graciously agreed to take some money up for me and purchase some things I'm making a list for, which includes all of the TLG offerings!

Anyway, I hope you all have a great time. I want to see pics and stories, dammit!! :D Maybe I'll be able to make it to the next Troll Con!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

I will have a moment of silence for you.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I've never gone, and it won't be anytime soon... is it as awesome as I think it is?
I do sort of hate crowds, but I bet it's frickin' sweet, right?
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Looks like I'll probably be there Saturday, maybe part of Sunday if I'm lucky. Spending a lot of time at TLG central for sure!

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Hey guys! My events got listed late, and as a result NO ONE is signing up for my games! Yikes. I normally have my games sold out the first day. I am going to have Steve put the word out from the booth and a sign up sheet for off the grid games as well, with my phone number so folks can call me and work something out. My brother's game is full at least, and his adventure quickly escalates into an all out mass battle using the Fields of Battle box set. We ran through some scenarios a while back and had a blast with FOB. Heroes can actually roleplay while having a mass battle and have an effect on the outcome of things. Or not, in the case of my heroes who seem to love rolling natural 1's at the climax of things. lol.

At any rate, if you or folks you know are looking for a C&C game, head over and sign up!

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

I won't be there this year, but if I was, I'd sign up for a Piper game quick. Eric runs a great game. I'd suggest everyone get in while they can.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

It's sad that the only rpg/gaming convention I've been to is the one in Finland. My friend had never played an rpg before and luckily there was an English AD&D game going. My friend learned, the hard way, that taking your fighter and climbing into a well with silvery stuff probably wasn't the best thing to do. Up until then he was having a good time.

I did get to meet Greg Stolze but he was testing a board game he created. Went back later and chatted a bit. I wanted to buy; A Dirty World but he was selling it for €20 and I could get it much cheaper once I got back to Canada.

GenCon is still on my to-do list, but it has been on that list since the mid eighties.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Relaxo wrote:I've never gone, and it won't be anytime soon... is it as awesome as I think it is?
I do sort of hate crowds, but I bet it's frickin' sweet, right?
I'd say it depends on what you're looking for. GenCon has monster crowds, vendors, and games to play. That size can be soul-crushing or invigorating depending on your disposition.

For me, GaryCon is the perfect gaming convention. Just the right size, just the right focus on OSR spirit. I haven't been to GenCon in years and will probably go again someday, but GaryCon is permanently on my vacation calendar.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

In case anyone at the Con gets bored and needs a pick up game:
:D
http://www.xplorersrpg.com/2013/08/x-pl ... lable.html
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781